Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

vor 6 Minuten schrieb jpaul1:

Florida is a fun place to live. i came across one of these during my trip to Guadeloupe 2 years ago. it's pretty stressing actually for one not used to it. when you are in a rental car, and suddenly the road you're in turns into a river :)

I had to escape from Hurricane Andrew in 92 and it was no fun I can tell ya. 200 miles an hour wind gusts and so much water that I even saw the safe of a SoBe hotel floating away on Collins Ave. For me that was the ultimate proof that even with military and computers nature is stronger still.

Thus, I don´t get the  "Yiha, give us some more" attitude of that guy in the video, when there is damage on trees and fences and fence parts are lying loose close to your own vehicle in a strong wind situation. What that video exhibits is strong disrespect for nature and these two guys would get very small wieners if one of the big branches had come down on their car or similar which would have turned their bragging high school yelling into fight for life very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

somebody can tell me what this is. is it related to the boat show

y9r6.jpg

Miami Marine Stadium 
seen in “Yankee Dollar”.

Soon to be gone for good I fear. Hasn’t been used now since 1999. 

https://savingplaces.org/places/miami-marine-stadium#.X2XnWSR4WaM

Edited by Matt5

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

i know it's the marine stadium. i was talking of the kinda docks

When I viewed it on Google Earth it shows it as the site of the Miami International Boat Show, so it is likely for the floating part of the show.

F4EBC94F-8837-4520-A615-B9D42B05429A.png

• Like 1

I try to keep in touch with happenings in Miami via the Herald etc, and the last I read the Marine Stadium was being saved but they have taken their time about restoring it.  The boat show was definitely there but cancelled this year as so many events were.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Miami Marine Stadium 
seen in “Yankee Dollar”.

Soon to be gone for good I fear. Hasn’t been used now since 1999. 

https://savingplaces.org/places/miami-marine-stadium#.X2XnWSR4WaM

Hey Matt, do you, or maybe Jim, know how the marine stadium was used in the past?  I happen to live right next to the Long Beach Marine Stadium and it is still very popular and busy.  I’m wondering what happened to Miami’s that it fell into such disuse and disrepair. 

Long Beach’s is much older, having been built for the rowing events of the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics.  Miami’s is apparently  from the 60’s.  Ours is still used for collegiate and club rowing events.  It looks like Miami’s isn’t long enough for that.  Ours also hosts outrigger canoe and dragon boat racing, powerboat races, and is used daily by water skiers.  

There is a launch ramp where I live, Marina Pacifica in the photo below, and one diagonal to it.  There are no permanent stands at ours but bleachers are set up on both sides for big weekend events.  Our city band even plays at the park at the north end of the stadium in the summers and boats are allowed to come in and anchor to enjoy the music with the people in the park.  I’ve done it myself many times with friends and family and lots to eat and drink.

It just seems like it’s such a great asset here and Miami’s somehow isn’t.  I’m just trying to figure out why.

2327C747-6E38-4966-8D97-F7C3E98900D9.png

Edited by pahonu

9 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

I try to keep in touch with happenings in Miami via the Herald etc, and the last I read the Marine Stadium was being saved but they have taken their time about restoring it.  The boat show was definitely there but cancelled this year as so many events were.

I just asked Matt about in a post.  Maybe you have some information?

once i saw a pic of water skiers doing aerobatics there back in the years. but i believe miamijimf whose family has been living there for a long time has the answer. according to wiki it was used for all kind of events, from concerts to powerboats, and rowing training..

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

once i saw a pic of water skiers doing aerobatics there back in the years. but i believe miamijimf whose family has been living there for a long time has the answer. according to wiki it was used for all kind of events, from concerts to powerboats, and rowing training..

I just did a little research and found my answer.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992 damaged the grandstand and the building was declared unsafe.  It basically sat and decayed for the next decade and a half until an organization was created to raise money for its restoration.  It hosted all the kinds of things ours here in Long Beach does... except for the Olympics. :p  Such a sad story, but here’s hoping for the success of the restoration!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I just did a little research and found my answer.  Hurricane Andrew in 1992 damaged the grandstand and the building was declared unsafe.  It basically sat and decayed for the next decade and a half until an organization was created to raise money for its restoration.  It hosted all the kinds of things ours here in Long Beach does... except for the Olympics. :p  Such a sad story, but here’s hoping for the success of the restoration!

Interesting I know the one in Long Beach it’s impressive and well maintained. 
A real shame about the Miami Marine Stadium I hope they can save it but I don’t hold much hope. Last time I went around 8 months ago a lot of homeless were living there on the lower levels and local news reported widespread violence and drug use there.

Edited by Matt5

55 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Interesting I know the one in Long Beach it’s impressive and well maintained. 
A real shame about the Miami Marine Stadium I hope they can save it but I don’t hold much hope. Last time I went around 8 months ago a lot of homeless were living there on the lower levels and local news reported widespread violence and drug use there.

That is a shame.  The last information I could find about the restoration was over two years ago.

47 minutes ago, pahonu said:

That is a shame.  The last information I could find about the restoration was over two years ago.

Yes I believe it’s all gone to pot since then.

edit: in another register what caused Haïtian to massively emigrate to Miami. is it poverty only, or are there any other political reason behind this

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

Fairly recent shot of "The Miami Line" over the SW 2d Avenue bridge with the moon over Miami.  You see it in Golden Triangle II.   This is still the Magic City's most famous public art.  A ship’s mast and train vibrations damaged the original and the county allowed the line to go dark in 2013.  It was restored with more durable LED lights but has only been partially completed.

Capture.JPG.5f68733f804bfda59fc327dbf512d842.JPG

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 4

Ocean Drive has become Ocean Walkway.  The city is saying this is a permanent change with all motor vehicles banned.  Poor decision IMO, should make it tougher on hotels and other businesses.  You can no longer cruise the drive and take in the grandeur of this collection of Art Deco masterpieces.

EikBhQ5WoAAMDCE.jpg.8873dc213b8448ec6d9c801761dec468.jpg
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Ocean Drive has become Ocean Walkway.  The city is saying this is a permanent change with all motor vehicles banned.  Poor decision IMO, should make it tougher on hotels and other businesses.  You can no longer cruise the drive and take in the grandeur of this collection of Art Deco masterpieces.

Terrible!!!!     :thumbsdown:

• Like 1