Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

On 4/14/2023 at 10:10 PM, airtommy said:

The Miami-Dade Cultural Center and Main Library will be demolished.  The project is in very early planning stages, so there is still time to visit this location.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/24m-square-foot-downtown-miami-metrocenter-moves-to-rfq-phase/

Frank Mosca walks by this building in "Contempt of Court":

https://goo.gl/maps/jDKJkxNEjRpP37nh9

mdcc.png.7e76939e33c63fdbd1437ace3bfcf4d0.png

We see more of it in "There's Something About Mary":

mary1.png.e61f42a8b7d5a84af3a36b3480aea4b7.png

mary2.png.3a02f5c0b1b6c9174f9fa655639192c2.png

I read about this when I was at Dade County Courthouse in Downtown a week or two ago. There is an ugly new highrise courthouse being built opposite the courthouse currently due to be completed in 2025. I was told this will be the new courthouse as the Dade County building we see in Miami Vice is too expensive to run with some architectural problems due to its porousity. So the building like so many in Downtown will be empty?

The courthouse building we see in “Contempt of Court “ is still empty I believe.

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

Stumbled upon this building quite far south from Miami. Love all the glass blocks, they even incorporated a couple into street signage. Unfortunately not able to find out when it was built, but found an older photograph with different color.

PXL_20230415_185300551.thumb.jpg.7c482c55b2c21bcdb1ed309178c384fc.jpg

PXL_20230415_185402213.thumb.jpg.d3bff7f3e7385546fb8f092936820156.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.0c589bf93abb599723f83ae22306c180.jpg

By the way the color change is another example of buildings in Miami-Dade going from more colorful to greyish/blueish combos - other examples here, here, and many examples in the Pain & Gain thread, e.g. here - why are we losing colors?? :evil:

not listed in Shulman-Robinson-Donelly Miami architecture. so or it's a minor class building, or it's outside the book coverage (which covers a lot of Miami)

came across that nice article

https://flamingomag.com/2018/02/26/stiltsville/

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

not listed in Shulman-Robinson-Donelly Miami architecture. so or it's a minor class building, or it's outside the book coverage (which covers a lot of Miami)

came across that nice article

https://flamingomag.com/2018/02/26/stiltsville/

Thanks for that.  Sadly, it mentions seven buildings but there are now only six left as one burned in the last couple of years since the article was written.

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2021-01-11/another-piece-of-miami-lost-fire-guts-house-in-iconic-stiltsville-on-biscayne-bay

After an unseasonably cold and wet March — the rain continues in April causing widespread flooding in the Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I know many of the ground level and underground car parks have been flooded in the Brickell district.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2023/04/11/heavy-downpours-lead-to-flooding-issues-in-miami-dade/

Edited by Matt5
  • Sad 2

One home in the French Normandy Village, one of George Merrick’s many built villages in the city of Coral Gables.

TheFrenchNormandyVillageoneofGeorgeMerricksmanybuiltvillagesinthecityofCoralGables.jpg.3f5a4f5a0b50adc2dfb76e2a845ece5b.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

1987 picture of the final pilot scene filmed at Julia Tuttle Causeway ("Tubbs, have you ever considered a career in Southern law enforcement?")

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-21 um 20.32.36.png

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tom said:

1987 picture of the final pilot scene filmed at Julia Tuttle Causeway ("Tubbs, have you ever considered a career in Southern law enforcement?")

Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-21 um 20.32.36.png

Almost the exact spot !

On 4/16/2023 at 6:58 AM, Matt5 said:

I read about this when I was at Dade County Courthouse in Downtown a week or two ago. There is an ugly new highrise courthouse being built opposite the courthouse currently due to be completed in 2025. I was told this will be the new courthouse as the Dade County building we see in Miami Vice is too expensive to run with some architectural problems due to its porousity. So the building like so many in Downtown will be empty?

The courthouse building we see in “Contempt of Court “ is still empty I believe.

I think the new courthouse is that building being built in the back, I took this photo few weeks ago from a building on Flagler.

PXL_20230404_224626862.thumb.jpg.426ae692260ba214973b68d7d980fa39.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/18/2023 at 3:31 PM, miamijimf said:

One home in the French Normandy Village, one of George Merrick’s many built villages in the city of Coral Gables.

TheFrenchNormandyVillageoneofGeorgeMerricksmanybuiltvillagesinthecityofCoralGables.jpg.3f5a4f5a0b50adc2dfb76e2a845ece5b.jpg

This one is probably the most uniquely looking one after the Chinese village. My favorite is the French on Hardee Road. And least favorite is the Italian village because while the largest by size, less than half of the homes there abide, and everything just generally looks too close to the regular Coral Gables. 

• Like 1

The TV show "Silk Stalkings" was set in Palm Beach but filmed entirely in California and Arizona.  However, the pilot episode shows aerial shots of Star Island.

1:24 --- 46 Star Island ("Baseballs of Death, "To Have and To Hold")

1:34 --- 42 Star Island ("Little Prince")

2:10 --- 46 Star Island

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Paul Veres said:

I think the new courthouse is that building being built in the back, I took this photo few weeks ago from a building on Flagler.

PXL_20230404_224626862.thumb.jpg.426ae692260ba214973b68d7d980fa39.jpg

Yes that’s it, will be the new courthouse as of 2025 as Dade County Courthouse will be phrased out due to cost and structural issues.  Ever since the Surfside condo collapse last year inspections are more rigid and porosity problems highlighted.

11 hours ago, airtommy said:

The TV show "Silk Stalkings" was set in Palm Beach but filmed entirely in California and Arizona.  However, the pilot episode shows aerial shots of Star Island.

1:24 --- 46 Star Island ("Baseballs of Death, "To Have and To Hold")

1:34 --- 42 Star Island ("Little Prince")

2:10 --- 46 Star Island

I knew they were based in San Diego.  They had a studio there and shot on location in the area.  I hadn’t heard about Arizona.  A friend of mine worked on it in San Diego in the location department for several years.  I never really watched the show but I did see a few episodes years later and wasn’t overly impressed.

Edit: 

Somewhere on the forum I posted a picture of a random call sheet from the show.  I think it was in one of Coop’s threads?  I went to visit her and they were wrapping up shooting for the week.  I’ve no idea which episode from memory and I never saw it.  

Edited by pahonu

5 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Yes that’s it, will be the new courthouse as of 2025 as Dade County Courthouse will be phrased out due to cost and structural issues.  Ever since the Surfside condo collapse last year inspections are more rigid and porosity problems highlighted.

Let's hope they don't tare it down, although they probably will.  Wouldn't it be cheaper to reinforce the old building?

Hope it's OK for this Miscellaneous thread. @pahonu, I think you had some love for VWs :) Found a bunch few weeks ago at a random show in Pinecrest after spotting one in South Gables. The enthusiasts rented a church parking lot.

Adding one classic BMW for fun - it had a cute toy copy of the same color inside!

PXL_20230401_143235371.jpg

PXL_20230401_143300814.jpg

PXL_20230401_143320124.jpg

PXL_20230401_160942011.jpg

PXL_20230401_160949251.jpg

PXL_20230401_161136834.jpg

PXL_20230401_161201247.jpg

PXL_20230401_161218536.jpg

PXL_20230401_161237531.jpg

PXL_20230401_161246105.jpg

PXL_20230401_161422467.jpg

PXL_20230401_161450068.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I saw a shortened bus like the ones shown here several years ago.  It was done by the Tillamook Creamery to promote their cheese products.  Apparently they had several driving around the country.

D97440A2-BF8C-4C20-83F2-E32D47AA0080.jpeg

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

On this day (April 29), in 1925, the City of Coral Gables was incorporated. Happy 98th Birthday to the City Beautiful.   Very young by international standards, yet an important world city.

ok.jpg.a6e3a73e8337ffae1fe867ed38328b07.jpg

City Hall.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 4:23 PM, miamijimf said:

Let's hope they don't tare it down, although they probably will.  Wouldn't it be cheaper to reinforce the old building?

They can’t tear it down Jim it’s protected but they can leave it empty when they transfer over to the newly built highrise opposite in 2025.
It’s more in the structure/ porosity problems I was told.

Edited by Matt5

I hope your are right Matt but I've seen protected buildings torn down in Miami before.  As one example the East Coast Fisheries was a City of Miami designated historic landmark but, in a surprise move, was torn down anyway in 2008 much to the surprise and shock of preservationists and others.   Nothing is sacred in this town. 

Edited by miamijimf
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Tom, @Matt5, or anyone:

I’ve been infatuated with this album for some time now, but it’s one of the few that I don’t have on CD or vinyl, so I may be missing some much-needed info (liner notes, etc.).

Things I know:

- Released in 1986

- Phil Collins on drums

- Versace blazer on album cover :) 

Things of interest:

- produced by Clapton-regular Tom Dowd of long-term Criterion Studios status in Miami

- maybe recorded in 1985 while Phil was in town for a certain MV episode?

Questions (answers not found on Google):

- Was this album cover photographed in Miami?

- Was any of this album recorded at Criterion Studios in Miami?

Regardless, any insight/answers would be much appreciated. This has become just about my favorite Clapton songs over the years (and I love all of them, for what it’s worth)!

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 3

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

@Tom, @Matt5, or anyone:

I’ve been infatuated with this album for some time now, but it’s one of the few that I don’t have on CD or vinyl, so I may be missing some much-needed info (liner notes, etc.).

Things I know:

- Released in 1986

- Phil Collins on drums

Things of interest:

- produced by Clapton-regular Tom Dowd of long-term Criterion Studios status in Miami

No. see below.

Questions (answers not found on Google):- Was this album cover photographed in Miami? 

No, in London, see also below information, they never were in Miami for this album. It was recorded in Sunset Sound Studios in L.A in April and May 1986 in LA (thus could not possibly be shot during Phil´s MV filming) and released on 24 November 1986. A wide shot of this album photo is here: https://iconicimages.net/photo/ec028-eric-clapton/

No. At Sunset Sound Studios, L.A.

Regardless, any insight/answers would be much appreciated. This has become just about my favorite Clapton songs over the years (and I love all of them, for what it’s worth)!

Clapton wanted Tom Dowd to produce as he thought Collins would not meet his style. The album cover was done by British photographer Terry O´Neill. The album is titled after Clapton´s son Conor (the one who died in 1991 in NYC and Clapton wrote "Tears in Heaven" for him) who was born on 21 August 1986 in St. Mary´s hospital in Paddington (London, UK). The picture looks in appearance like it was shot there on location at the Paddington basin - see my street view pic of the canal in front of the hospital - or at the Thames (going by the width of the water seen behind Clapton).

The English wiki about this album does not give any of background infos for this album, but the German wiki does: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_(Eric-Clapton-Album)

As to your questions: see my answers inline in red above below your original questions.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-16 um 08.11.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-16 um 08.12.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-16 um 08.16.28.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

@Tom, @Matt5, or anyone:

Things I know:

- Released in 1986

- Phil Collins on drums

Things of interest:

Questions (answers not found on Google):

- Was this album cover photographed in Miami?

Dadrian - good comments. Clapton recorded August in April,May,June 1986 at Criteria in North Miami but mainly in London, Uk. Collins co produced the album and this was mainly done in London as at this time Collins was deep into recording the Genesis album “Invisible Touch” in Surrey, Uk as Clapton recorded “August”.
Clapton wanted a poppy sound to tap into Collins success to sone degree “August” gave Clapton that. 
Clapton had a real early Season 3 Crockett vibe in that blazer.

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1