Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

3 hours ago, Buddy Love said:

So much I didn’t know about this famous location

Thanks, that was really interesting, if not a little sad.  I certainly hold out hope for such unique places.  A while back I saw an episode of this series  about Marineland, a sea life park, near where I live and had similar feelings.  I used to go there as a kid.  Fingers crossed that the planned renovations happen.  It’s a really cool location and the grandstands are a unique architectural structure for sure.

I personally live right next to the Long Beach Marine Stadium and it’s such an active and popular place.  It seems as though something similar could succeed in Miami once again.  The LB Marine Stadium was built for the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics rowing events and was the first if its kind built in the US.  In fact, it’s slated to host the rowing and canoe sprints at the 2028 LA Olympics.  I’m excited for that.

The key difference that I see is that the original grandstands from 1932 were taken down and the area developed with housing over the years.  However, they left strips of land along each side for temporary grandstands when big events come, and they still do.  

The rest of the time it has all kinds of smaller events, like outrigger canoe, dragon boat, and college rowing.  It has hosted the same kind of speedboats shown in the documentary for many years.  Daily, it has water skiers who don’t want to be in the open ocean, and weekly there is a farmer’s market at the lagoon at the end.  In the summer the municipal band performs weekly there and people watch and listen from land and boats in the stadium.  I’ve enjoyed it so many times in the last few decades I’ve lived here.

I think the key to success is the mixed use element.  That, and it was never left to fall into disrepair so no single massive renovation ever had to be undertaken.  That’s always a more difficult process than maintaining a facility.  We also never had a hurricane to contend with. :eek: I plan on keeping tabs on the progress going forward. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, pahonu said:

Thanks, that was really interesting, if not a little sad.  I certainly hold out hope for such unique places.  A while back I saw an episode of this series  about Marineland, a sea life park, near where I live and had similar feelings.  I used to go there as a kid.  Fingers crossed that the planned renovations happen.  It’s a really cool location and the grandstands are a unique architectural structure for sure.

I personally live right next to the Long Beach Marine Stadium and it’s such an active and popular place.  It seems as though something similar could succeed in Miami once again.  The LB Marine Stadium was built for the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics rowing events and was the first if its kind built in the US.  In fact, it’s slated to host the rowing and canoe sprints at the 2028 LA Olympics.  I’m excited for that.

The key difference that I see is that the original grandstands from 1932 were taken down and the area developed with housing over the years.  However, they left strips of land along each side for temporary grandstands when big events come, and they still do.  

The rest of the time it has all kinds of smaller events, like outrigger canoe, dragon boat, and college rowing.  It has hosted the same kind of speedboats shown in the documentary for many years.  Daily, it has water skiers who don’t want to be in the open ocean, and weekly there is a farmer’s market at the lagoon at the end.  In the summer the municipal band performs weekly there and people watch and listen from land and boats in the stadium.  I’ve enjoyed it so many times in the last few decades I’ve lived here.

I think the key to success is the mixed use element.  That, and it was never left to fall into disrepair so no single massive renovation ever had to be undertaken.  That’s always a more difficult process than maintaining a facility.  We also never had a hurricane to contend with. :eek: I plan on keeping tabs on the progress going forward. 

They are renovating the stadium according to this article with the first phase going ahead.

https://www.islandernews.com/news/keybiscayne/miami-begins-long-overdue-renovations-to-marine-stadium-on-virginia-key-which-has-been-closed/article_95789708-b78d-11ed-8164-07ec74387ff5.html

Do we only see the stadium once ("Yankee Dollar") in the series?

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This was an interesting camera shot.  A powerful zoom lens makes it look like the Palace Condominium on Brickell is very close by, but it's actually one and a half miles away.

marinestadium.png.d340eab8e920a80aebacc7eff60279e6.png

We see the Palace behind Crockett & Tubbs in "French Twist":

french12.thumb.jpg.ab114ca7f739c6a735637b28d76e32a2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Feb 13, 1932 traffic congestion on the County Causeway (now called MacArthur Causeway).  Nothing has changed.

Feb131932trafficcongestionontheCountyCauseway(nowcalledMacArthurCauseway).jpg.c5448b6b7d14a8da27b016de0fb103f4.jpg

• Like 5

I was all happy and relaxed ... but then I come here and Jim is stressing me out with pictures of TRAFFIC!    :thumbsdown:   :)

The 100-year old Venetian Causeway is being rebuilt, apparently with the same distinctive white railing pattern.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/transportation/public-works/venetian-causeway.page

The first bridge to Miami Beach was the Collins Bridge built in 1913 by John Collins and Carl Fisher.  In 1925 it was replaced by the Venetian Causeway.

http://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/venetian.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Causeway

Bought and Paid For:

vene1.thumb.jpg.d7fe7bb233842390d5659cf43133405b.jpg

Miami Squeeze (Miami Herald building in the background, demolished in 2014):

vene2.jpg.9c0a0136ef0b848c72e1455f820755cc.jpg

vene3.jpg.5d414dc6641646c1867c78e7fd2db78f.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, airtommy said:

I was all happy and relaxed ... but then I come here and Jim is stressing me out with pictures of TRAFFIC!    :thumbsdown:   :)

The 100-year old Venetian Causeway is being rebuilt, apparently with the same distinctive white railing pattern.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/transportation/public-works/venetian-causeway.page

The first bridge to Miami Beach was the Collins Bridge built in 1913 by John Collins and Carl Fisher.  In 1925 it was replaced by the Venetian Causeway.

http://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/venetian.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venetian_Causeway

Bought and Paid For:

vene1.thumb.jpg.d7fe7bb233842390d5659cf43133405b.jpg

Miami Squeeze (Miami Herald building in the background, demolished in 2014):

vene2.jpg.9c0a0136ef0b848c72e1455f820755cc.jpg

vene3.jpg.5d414dc6641646c1867c78e7fd2db78f.jpg

Thanks for all the details and links!  I hope you didn’t notice that the new project creates no new lanes of TRAFFIC. :eek::p  It does seem to add extra width for more pedestrians and bikes, which I support, but I know many may not.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Few today know how important aviation was to Miami and vice-versa.  Well dressed passengers boarding Pan American Airways Sikorsky S-40 American Clipper flying boat at the Miami Dinner Key Base 1931. On November 19, 1931. The American Clipper departed Dinner Key for the inaugural flight to Cristobal, Panama Canal Zone with Charles Lindbergh piloting. Florida Archives photo.  Plane looks kind of shaky to me.

356225241_333065642378124_7174217758581412881_n.jpg.9efbd8ff864fa80cc9577a120d11eed2.jpg

• Like 4

Aerial video of the South Pointe neighborhood at the southern end of Miami Beach:

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/item/38866205-miami-beach-1980s-aerial-south-point-marine-harbour-meloy-ch

southpointe.thumb.png.3e6cd5e63fcba3a0d6c21c067b4de97b.png

• yellow = Biscaya Hotel a.k.a. The Floridian Hotel
  • red = South Pointe Elementary School ("Fountain of Youth" nursing home in "The Big Thaw" and "Asian Cut")
  • blue = park in "Miracle Man"

I wrote a series of posts about Biscaya here:

https://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/13581-miami-miscellaneous/page/3/#comment-220764

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

vor 34 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Another 1980s South Pointe aerial.  Unfortunately, the St. David Court is blocked from view.

ycyi68jcgbb61.jpg

But the Leonard Hotel and the Corsair are in full view....

• Like 2

At 14:35 in Moon Over Miami Episode 5 "Cinderello", we see this "motel".  This is at Greenwich Studios (Switek & Zito motel room in "Glades", Lombard payphone in "World of Trouble").

Screenshot(275).thumb.png.f72d4488954a18821bc2ea5fed7a2462.png

Here is @Matt5 's  photo from a few years ago:

E9097CDD-BF5C-4D9C-843C-78B2DAB7541F.jpeg

• Like 5

is La libertad enterable. it says it's a market, but the doors are a bit weird, also there's a big 'no trepassing' sign at the entrance? the place seems to still retains the coolness of 80s Miami though. proof that streetview picture posted by some user

2018-09-14.jpg.f637007789299f1b5618c700bd345b73.jpg

total Miami coolness. as long as places (and people) like this will exist,the city will not die

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

is La libertad enterable. it says it's a market, but the doors are a bit weird, also there's a big 'no trepassing' sign at the entrance? the place seems to still retains the coolness of 80s Miami though. proof that streetview picture posted by some user

2018-09-14.jpg.f637007789299f1b5618c700bd345b73.jpg

total Miami coolness. as long as places (and people) like this will exist,the city will not die

It was open the still the last time I went. Kind of scary though—bums, etc. 

The coffee is worth getting mugged! :) 

Okay I’m done…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cute little girl but unfortunately the area has changed.  "You can't go home again."  And it's not all good.  I plan to drive down from Bradenton in Sept, so if I can check on anything, let me know.  Tom? airtommy?

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Cute little girl but unfortunately the area has changed.  "You can't go home again."  And it's not all good.  I plan to drive down from Bradenton in Sept, so if I can check on anything, let me know.  Tom? airtommy?

It's gonna be gentrified before we know it. Mid-rise apartment buildings with $2k+ rents will dot that whole area between Calle Ocho and the river, with businesses sprouting accordingly. You can only hope this coffee place will be spruced up while retaining its original spirit, but more certainly it will be replaced by another business, if that whole building won't be razed completely to give way to a new development. 

By the way please hit me up if you'd like for a coffee, maybe not at La Libertad, but somewhere similar :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

I only hear audio, no video for me.

Sorry about that, not sure why it's like that on your end, the video loads just fine for me...

Please see if this photo works.

20230726_181825.thumb.jpg.cd66b1188b55e9c3da1fe37f75f7ebe3.jpg

• Like 4

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIAMI.

363349862_667890062031369_5300442260950310698_n.thumb.jpg.06c830a9a564363e04a4d51d63a2a521.jpg

On July 28, 1896, on the second floor of one of the building shown above, Miami was incorporated as a city.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIAMI.

363349862_667890062031369_5300442260950310698_n.thumb.jpg.06c830a9a564363e04a4d51d63a2a521.jpg

On July 28, 1896, on the second floor of one of the building shown above, Miami was incorporated as a city.

Maybe that’s the bar from Cool Runnin’ :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2