Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

@Tom and @Matt5 thanks so much!  

I’ll have have to remember foreign Wikis next time I hit a stump like this. 

Thanks pal , I got most of my info from the linear notes on the “August” vinyl. Seems post production was done in London, Uk and Paris, France. Clapton returned to NYC to record “Journeyman” in 1989 then MTV studios in Surrey, Uk to record “Unplugged” in 1992.

Edited by Matt5

The Eric Clapton fine August album cover shot in the fall of 1986 reminds me of another fine album by Bryan Adams “Into the Fire” (March 1987) recorded in Vancouver and London. The cover was shot somewhere in North England I think by famed French photographer Anton Corbijn. “Heat of the Night” from that album popped up in the Miami Vice Season 3 episode “Knock Knock…Who’s There?” In the spring of 1987 not long after release.

IMG_6892.jpeg

• Like 1

A 1989 online picture of Miami Marine Stadium at Rickenbacker Cswy, Virginia Key. (“Definately Miami”, “Yankee Dollar”, “Baseballs of Death”).

IMG_6909.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

this is a question that may sound trivial to some, but that interests me. are corrugated metal buildings common in an hurricane area. i don't recall having seen any building of that type in streetview. all hangars seem to be concrete/plaster made

H-series-ongeisoleerd-roldeur-detail-600

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

this is a question that may sound trivial to some, but that interests me. are corrugated metal buildings common in an hurricane area. i don't recall having seen any building of that type in streetview. all hangars seem to be concrete/plaster made

H-series-ongeisoleerd-roldeur-detail-600

I don’t know a lot about the building codes specific to hurricane prone areas (being from California I do so with seismic codes), but I do know that metal roofs are a very good choice for hurricane areas.  As a vertical siding material, corrugated steel is more expensive than stucco, so perhaps that plays a role in what you’re seeing.  Sorry I can’t offer more.

when you think of corrugated metal sheets you tend to think that it's not a good choice for windy areas. but technology being technology, something that never cease improving, why not. as a french i'm not familiar with hurricanes, but i saw images of the hurricane that struck the french carribean islands a couple of years ago, and it was very impressive. i also remember once a guy i was discussing with on a forum. and he was telling me that he had just bought a couple of kevlar screens to protect his windows from an hurricane :cool:

you see hurricanes are important in the roofs forms too. almost all miami roofs are flat, or with a very low wind resistance. corrugated metal seems a folly to me. but i'm asking however

Thanks for the answer

6 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

when you think of corrugated metal sheets you tend to think that it's not a good choice for windy areas. but technology being technology, something that never cease improving, why not. as a french i'm not familiar with hurricanes, but i saw images of the hurricane that struck the french carribean islands a couple of years ago, and it was very impressive. i also remember once a guy i was discussing with on a forum. and he was telling me that he had just bought a couple of kevlar screens to protect his windows from an hurricane :cool:

you see hurricanes are important in the roofs forms too. almost all miami roofs are flat, or with a very low wind resistance. corrugated metal seems a folly to me. but i'm asking however

Thanks for the answer

Metal roofs are generally preferable in high winds because they are typically larger sheets, whether standing seam or corrugated, and if secured properly, resist being lifted up better than hundreds of individual shingles or tiles.

https://apps.floridadisaster.org/hrg/content/roofs/metal.asp

The lower pitch of the roofs is also typical of warmer climates, less so because of hurricanes and more because they are less expensive in terms of materials.  The same low pitch or flat roofs are also common in non-hurricane warm climates too, like Southern California.  They are possible in these climates because there is typically no need to carry a snow load, which to the surprise of many can weigh several tons.  

Higher pitched roofs are generally a better choice to shed snow in a cold climate.  In the mountains of SoCal with a lot of winter snow, high pitched roofs are, in fact, quite common, and the A-frame roof structure was first conceived there.  They are essentially a steep pitched gable roof reaching to the ground with no side walls, only gable-end walls.

https://www.engineersedge.com/analysis/sloped_roof_snow_loads_9727.htm

I hope some of this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

is it possible to go from the biscayne bay to the everglades in boat. i got a look in street view and apparently lot of paths that look navigable from high are blocked. generally by bridges. even the miami river is blocked in its upper part. I'm talking of the Miami below the I-195

edit: regarding the corrugated metal use, i found an example where they use it. it's a metallic hangar of a shipyard on the Miami river. the fact they use it in a location where they repair expansive assets makes me think it's a probable building method in south Florida. the residence beside the hangars (see image) seems to also use corrugated metal on the roofs

dOOiPinFnB.jpg

Edited by jpaul1

jpaul1 - When I was a teenager my buddy Frank and I took an all day small boat trip from this spot on SW 57th Ave (Red Road) through the Coral Gables Waterway to the Bay then up the Miami River to the canal along the Tamiami Canal beside the Trail/US41 to a spot close to his home. Very ambitious with hours and hours on the water but teens, at least in my day, thought they were immortal and could do anything.  Can't do that now due to dams along the Gables Waterway and probably other obstacles.  From the Tamiami Canal that runs W. alongside the Tamiami Trail, US41, you could without a doubt get into the Glades.  But looking at Google Earth I don't think you can enter the Tamiami Canal by boat from Biscayne Bay anymore due to dams/bridges etc along the Miami River. 

Capture.JPG.609cb5d875a0bb2d681cb3059f8c3d32.JPG

Another way but it would be a long trip South along the coast then under one of the bridges along the Overseas Highway then West to Flamingo or another landing in Everglades National Park.  It could be planned specifically with some nautical charts and a GPS.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

yeah by the south i think it can be done. in fact it's sure it can be done. but i was actually thinking of crossing the city. And it seems it can't be done anymore. not in the city southern part at least. cool post miamijim

• Like 1

Silly quality, but got some photos of Stiltsville on the horizon from the 5th floor of the Mercy hospital in Coconut Grove. This is x100 zoom from Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, which is quite cool for a phone.

The 1st photo is in the afternoon light which appears to provide better contrast/color.

20230527_190951.thumb.jpg.76478984dc24c13fbebaab095a8aa83e.jpg

The other 4 are early morning light.

20230528_065043.thumb.jpg.2a0cfd0bb2eaf264066ff065edc43ae3.jpg

20230528_065027.thumb.jpg.8c4d77353036e1e655930c74ec594421.jpg

20230528_065004.thumb.jpg.dbfbf6df1df1a8f3d4db9c4c2f522f26.jpg

20230528_064930.thumb.jpg.035e2c447ad8f2c78b3eb29fd5836843.jpg

Our [corner] room generally has the most amazing views one can probably have in a hospital ward, in Miami anyway.

20230526_192659.thumb.jpg.cc0d2b950c2b753f80208d99cb19ea0d.jpg

Above is that horizon with Stiltsville.

And through other windows you can see Brickell and South Beach.

20230526_195400.thumb.jpg.5abdd4860d864ebc71ff8489bc6f269f.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Florida and its typical clouds

i'd say caribbean typical. i took photos in Guadeloupe, it's a bit like that too

i knew herons beaks were dangerous, but i didn't think it could go there348605424_1340393119854466_2886364866816870161_n.thumb.jpg.2f447140c96db41d4e6ee87a59314618.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

i'd say caribbean typical. i took photos in Guadeloupe, it's a bit like that too

i knew herons beaks were dangerous, but i didn't think it could go there348605424_1340393119854466_2886364866816870161_n.thumb.jpg.2f447140c96db41d4e6ee87a59314618.jpg

Wow!  That’s pretty cool.  We have great blue herons that nest in the trees in our complex.  Those trees actually kept our association from renovating our perimeter fencing a few years back, but I understand and enjoy seeing them around.  I’ve seen a few up close on a nearby bridge and they’re impressive.  They can be close to four feet tall!  Oh, and the splatters from their crap are HUGE!  I’ve also witnessed them with some pretty large fish, maybe 18 inches, and once saw one with what appeared to be a squirrel that it was feeding on. :eek: We have lots of squirrels in the trees too and occasionally raccoons and possums are around.  It’s pretty surprising since we’re at a marina.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 12:36 PM, Paul Veres said:

Silly quality, but got some photos of Stiltsville on the horizon from the 5th floor of the Mercy hospital in Coconut Grove. This is x100 zoom from Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra, which is quite cool for a phone.

The 1st photo is in the afternoon light which appears to provide better contrast/color.

20230527_190951.thumb.jpg.76478984dc24c13fbebaab095a8aa83e.jpg

The other 4 are early morning light.

20230528_065043.thumb.jpg.2a0cfd0bb2eaf264066ff065edc43ae3.jpg

20230528_065027.thumb.jpg.8c4d77353036e1e655930c74ec594421.jpg

20230528_065004.thumb.jpg.dbfbf6df1df1a8f3d4db9c4c2f522f26.jpg

20230528_064930.thumb.jpg.035e2c447ad8f2c78b3eb29fd5836843.jpg

Our [corner] room generally has the most amazing views one can probably have in a hospital ward, in Miami anyway.

20230526_192659.thumb.jpg.cc0d2b950c2b753f80208d99cb19ea0d.jpg

Above is that horizon with Stiltsville.

And through other windows you can see Brickell and South Beach.

20230526_195400.thumb.jpg.5abdd4860d864ebc71ff8489bc6f269f.jpg

Super cool shots — well done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pahonu said:

Wow!  That’s pretty cool.  We have great blue herons that nest in the trees in our complex.  Those trees actually kept our association from renovating our perimeter fencing a few years back, but I understand and enjoy seeing them around.  I’ve seen a few up close on a nearby bridge and they’re impressive.  They can be close to four feet tall!  Oh, and the splatters from their crap are HUGE!  I’ve also witnessed them with some pretty large fish, maybe 18 inches, and once saw one with what appeared to be a squirrel that it was feeding on. :eek: We have lots of squirrels in the trees too and occasionally raccoons and possums are around.  It’s pretty surprising since we’re at a marina.

Great information @pahonu

according to the nautical chart i've been examining the miami river deepest point in its southern part is only 15 ft. I don't get how these freighters can navigate into such waters

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

according to the nautical chart i've been examining the miami river deepest point in its southern part is only 15 ft. I don't get how these freighters can navigate into such waters

I’m no expert on Miami, but I do know that there are dredged channels, sometimes called cuts, that are made through Biscayne Bay and the surrounding waters for the Port of Miami’s operations.  There would be no way for large freighters to operate there otherwise.  Even large and relatively deep rivers often have channels marked for deeper draft vessels.  The Ports of LA and Long Beach, which are close to 100 feet at the two gates in the breakwater, still have some dredged areas.  The new Panamax draft is almost 40 feet and I think that the Port of Miami can handle them now, after more dredging was done in the last several years.

Edit:

In looking at the charts, it appears that the largest ships are limited in operation to the turning basin and south east end of the port, leading to Government Cut.  The northern and southwestern channels look to be only 36-37 feet.  These measurements would be at the mean low tide, and any bridge or other vertical obstructions would be at mean high tide.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

yeah very large ships can dock at Miami port. but only in the western parts. but i saw some medium sized freghters also roam the Miami river. up to almost the airport. but i don't get how they can go into a 5 m deep channel like stated into online charts. some are fully loaded with containers or cars. i'm not a maritime expert but 5 m that sounds little to me

yeah very large ships can dock at Miami port. but only in the western parts. but i saw some medium sized freghters also roam the Miami river. up to almost the airport. but i don't get how they can go into a 5 m deep channel like stated into online charts. some are fully loaded with containers or cars. i'm not a maritime expert but 5 m that sounds little to me

This might help:

https://www.aapa-ports.org/files/PDFs/CONTAINER SHIP SAMPLING.pdf

A 5 m depth requires quite a small ship, relatively speaking.  Only the first ship on the chart could navigate that depth.  150 containers isn’t very much compared to several thousand or even 10+ thousand containers.

• Like 2

pahonu thank you very much. my questions may seem a bit weird to some (maybe) but i'm really interested each time. the NP Suratthani 3 is definitely a ship that looks like the ships on google earth. but that would mean it would go the river with only 1 m margin. this is what boggles my mind. if this is the case the pilot ships drivers are really high level ones

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:734281/mmsi:567324000/imo:9330733/vessel:N_P_SURATTHANI_3

Edited by jpaul1

pahonu thank you very much. my questions may seem a bit weird to some (maybe) but i'm really interested each time. the NP Suratthani 3 is definitely a ship that looks like the ships on google earth. but that would mean it would go the river with only 1 m margin. this is what boggles my mind. if this is the case the pilot ships drivers are really high level ones

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:734281/mmsi:567324000/imo:9330733/vessel:N_P_SURATTHANI_3

I don’t find it weird at all.  It’s probably because I live in Long Beach, one of the biggest container ports in the US, and right next to the Port of LA, the largest port in the country.  The first apartment my wife and I rented looked out to the outer harbor of the Port of Long Beach and we could see the gantries at a distance.  In fact, I had a telescope in our living room and would watch the activity.  I also sail a lot in the area, and keeping alert in the shipping lanes is a must.

Most people never give a thought to how the things they buy got to them.  I like to tell people a pretty stunning fact.  Fully 1/3 of the imported goods from all of Asia to the US goes through the LA/LB Harbor complex!  One out of every three objects is an amazing amount, I think.  As for the pilots who guide those ships from the outer harbor to the docks, they’re the highest paid employees at the port.  I read an article in a local LB newspaper long ago, and they were earning over $100k and that was maybe 25 years ago in the late 90’s!  It’s an incredibly precise job, with major consequences for mistakes.

• Like 1