Miami Miscellaneous

miamijimf

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

You are on a hot lead! :p

I found this old aerial photo. I’ll keep you posted…

IMG_6595.jpeg

• Haha 1

jimbo before and after. looks like a erasure. i know Miami expected this to happen for a while now, but there it's radical :)

https://www.goldenduskphotography.com/blog/jimbosplace-beforeandafter

about the picture above, i don't know if it's Florida, but parrots, and parakeets are not Florida endemic

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

One of the things that brought worldwide attention to Miami in the early 80s.  Way overdue is a salute to the 40th anniversary of one of my favorite Miami moments - Christo's "Surrounded Islands" in Biscayne Bay. From Tropical Tracings.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

USS Oriskany last journey. voluntarily sunk 25 miles south of Pensacola (in 2006)

365115051_269193395857279_812763523970992381_n.jpg.d0ebaa1c2ea1439d7670c3c56f43fd89.jpg

My Uncle Tom was stationed aboard the Oriskany in the late 60’s during the Vietnam War.  I recall him commenting on the scuttling of the ship several years ago.  The late Senator John McCain flew from it, being shot down and held as a POW for over five years.

• Like 3

I've noticed that the porch railings at Art Deco hotels in South Beach are the same today as during the Vice era.  I assume that's part of the historical preservation edict.

But while I was watching "Moon Over Miami" I noticed an exception - the Penguin Hotel at 1418 Ocean Drive.  I wonder why they changed it and how they got away with it.

The Penguin in 1993:

penguin1.thumb.png.ce3d67e96c9dc3a7f7d3f6be56a7e66f.png

The Penguin in 2019:

penguin2.png.b6ee5a5029ae3b86608a0031f2346dd3.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, airtommy said:

I've noticed that the porch railings at Art Deco hotels in South Beach are the same today as during the Vice era.  I assume that's part of the historical preservation edict.

But while I was watching "Moon Over Miami" I noticed an exception - the Penguin Hotel at 1418 Ocean Drive.  I wonder why they changed it and how they got away with it.

The Penguin in 1993:

penguin1.thumb.png.ce3d67e96c9dc3a7f7d3f6be56a7e66f.png

The Penguin in 2019:

penguin2.png.b6ee5a5029ae3b86608a0031f2346dd3.png

Great eye!  I love that so many people are noticing such details in our built environment, no matter what the inspiration for doing so.  That said, I can’t say with certainty, but knowing that Miami Vice actually spurred the historic preservation movement in Miami Beach, I would wager that the 1993 alterations you show were done before the passage of such laws.  The bureaucratic wheels turn slowly, and 1993 is quite close to the end of the series.  I also think it likely that when renovations were done later, they had to meet new criteria including appropriate colors and detailing such as the railing you pointed out.    

If you’ve ever watched This Old House, they have done very many renovations over the decades in historic preservation zones.  The Boston area has amongst the strictest preservation rules in the nation, being one of the oldest cities in the US.  The rules can seem onerous to many, including tiny details such as the size of window muntins or the detailing on the cornice far above.  Very often they require paint analysis of the historic layers present and require the use of one of them.  Bottom line in this case, I’m glad that the later renovations seem to be true to the historic era the building was constructed in.

• Like 1

This footage must be from around 2002, because the SW 2nd Ave bridge is being rebuilt.  Can you spot the Miami Shipyard (OCB in Miami Vice) to the right of the raised drawbridge?

https://sonypicturesstockfootage.com/preview/2224057-miami-skyline-31095

You can search that website for "Miami" to see more stock footage.

• Like 3

Older video, Kiwi & Tess "Show Your Love" music video. Several Vice locations can be seen including a close up of Gator Kicks seen in ‘Forgive Us Our Debts’ from 01:27 through 02:01, Venetian Pool etc etc.  Also not a bad song.  Thanks to Vice Miami became a hot-spot for filming and music videos.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

Fantastic collage of Miami scenery in that video!!!   Nice to see the mural at Tommy's Garage.  I strongly suspect the location scout for this video worked on MV or was a big fan of the show.

Correction:  Gator Kicks was seen in "Bad Timing", not "Forgive Us Our Debts"

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 7:41 PM, airtommy said:

Fantastic collage of Miami scenery in that video!!!   Nice to see the mural at Tommy's Garage.  I strongly suspect the location scout for this video worked on MV or was a big fan of the show.

Correction:  Gator Kicks was seen in "Bad Timing", not "Forgive Us Our Debts"

You're right airtommy it is Bad Timing, my bad.

You can bet I'll have the white suit iron and pressed for this!! https://popcornfrights.com/film/south-beach-walking-tour/

"It’s time to exit your Birdcage and Step Up to the Revolution as we take you on a sunny walking tour of some of South Beach’s most notable filming locations from film and television. Scarface proved that chainsaw massacres aren’t only for Texas. Need to inspect the assassination of Gianni Versace? We can take you around to see where Dexter, the Miami Vice, Bad Boys, and of course, Ace Ventura did some of their finest work. Plus so much more!"

• Like 3

Sad day in Miami today... And just when the activists finally convinced the seaquarium to return her home... though one can wonder how adapted she would be to the wild oceans after 50 years in captivity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/18/us/lolita-orca-whale-miami-seaquarium.html

2023-08-19_123115.thumb.png.a7af73c43562631155e32d7783115be8.png

UDPATE

Video of Lolita's body transported out of the Seaquarium overnight (let me know if you cannot see the video):

And what I think is very well put Instagram comment summing it all up, at least very aligned with my personal view.

Screenshot2023-08-19123837.png.61848dbf042e088d1618e40add849fd3.png

I do wonder though where they transported her so quickly. Is there some kind of morgue for such large mammals at the University of Miami etc. Or there is no autopsy to be done and she's going directly to some kind of graveyard.

Edited by Paul Veres
  • Sad 1

in the same time laws to protect those from new captures passed because some people showed their firm opposition. this being said i'm firmly, i said firmly against public bashing of any kind. You have to fight, fight. but fight with the law, and respecting the opponent

I'm not an expert, but I think they moved the body simply because of putrefaction issues

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

Interesting web site.  Not many locations but its strong point is including a lot of Miami movies and TV shows arranged by time period.

https://mdc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=cc555f442a3249af943fc59190839343&fbclid=IwAR2C-2QkfSsK23nsacmPmyfnIdFq_NzyknxLBsdAQY0n2_C7a81w9DDuMrI

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

The expansion into South Florida was as much a part of America's "Manifest Destiny" as was the settling of the Wild West.

This was the first passenger train to arrive in Miami in 1896.  Thanks Henry Flagler.

FirstpassengertraintorriveinMiami189.ThanksHenryFlagler.ForgettheWildWestThiswasAmericaaachievingiits.jpg.448a40048969527f89fa872019183940.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, miamijimf said:

The expansion into South Florida was as much a part of America's "Manifest Destiny" as was the settling of the Wild West.

This was the first passenger train to arrive in Miami in 1896.  Thanks Henry Flagler.

FirstpassengertraintorriveinMiami189.ThanksHenryFlagler.ForgettheWildWestThiswasAmericaaachievingiits.jpg.448a40048969527f89fa872019183940.jpg

Very interesting to note that it arrived over 25 years after the railroad reached the San Francisco Bay Area.  If they had only found gold in Miami it would have been much sooner! :p

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Very interesting to note that it arrived over 25 years after the railroad reached the San Francisco Bay Area.  If they had only found gold in Miami it would have been much sooner! :p

Good point.  They called the Miami area the "Gold Coast" but it didn't help.

• Like 1

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Paul Veres:

Let me call this a quiz... who can name these two without searching?

South-Beach-Color-1.thumb.jpg.91252749213036f15522ec96ae2af0a6.jpg

Left is the Crescent at the upper end of Ocean Drive north of 14th Street, it´s the only one with this round ornament at 2/3s of the facade - that´s how I recognized it. The name of the one on the right I forgot. Sorry. But the next one on the right (out of frame) is the Ocean Plaza where Trudy hid in Asian Cut.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paul Veres said:

Of course I think it is horrible.  The Mayor is right - this is an insult to all of us and he will do all he can to stop it.  Wish him luck.  The developers say they will preserve the facade.  Haven't  we heard that before with the monstrosity that replaced the OCB?

I don’t know the details about the local ordinances that would protect the facade, but there have been several such adaptive reuse renovations here in Long Beach that were successful.  Multiple historic structures were converted to housing while maintaining the facades, such as the Masonic Temple and the historic Kress building, both downtown.

https://longbeachtemplelofts.com/about/#iLightbox[3be68545ee972a114af]/0

https://www.highrises.com/buildings/long-beach_ca/kress-lofts_100-w-5th-st_465

They were and are historically beautiful buildings and the exteriors were restored as they were converted to new housing.  My wife and I came very close to buying a loft in the Kress back in the late 90’s.  We ended up choosing to live in a townhouse at the marina, but it was a really cool space.

Edit:

I only read the article and mistakenly thought the Essex and Clevelander were being converted from hotels to housing.  I missed the 30 story addition in the article! :hot:

Edited by pahonu