New piece on “Nash Bridges” Today

Matt5

On 6/14/2018 at 9:38 AM, Matt5 said:

Did you like the series Nash Bridges? I saw one episode, and it didn't sit well with me. Maybe because I'm used to seeing younger, slimmer, tanner Don in pastel colors with a lively background rather than older, heavier Don dressed in weird suit jackets, bright colors and jeans with short hair in the cold concrete jungle of San Francisco. I feel like Nash Bridges was meant to recapture the feel of Miami Vice in a way - two suited cop partners in a coastal city - but the music, everything....I just don't like it.

I'm a hardcore DJ fan but I wouldn't spend my time watching the series. I'd rather rewatch Miami Vice over and over.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

i switched cable providers in december and i got a network called H&I  . They play Nash Bridges. Been a number of years since i've seen it regularly. So glad to see it again.

I remember years ago, when we were newly married, my wife and I were in San Francisco when we stumbled across them filming Nash Bridges.  It may even have been the first season, but either way I didn't know the show, but recognized DJ and Cheech Marin right away.  I remember when we got home I looked up the show on this relatively new thing called the internet.  :p  I never really watched it, but I understand it ran longer than MV.  We visit San Francisco almost yearly.  It's a great town with so many unique little neighborhoods.  I'm surprised I didn't start watching it back then.  I love the old series The Streets of San Francisco.  We've been there so many times together, and as a kid I had family there, that I can usually name the neighborhood they're filming in.  I might give it a look now.  Is it streaming anywhere?

• Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 4:45 AM, pahonu said:

I remember years ago, when we were newly married, my wife and I were in San Francisco when we stumbled across them filming Nash Bridges.  It may even have been the first season, but either way I didn't know the show, but recognized DJ and Cheech Marin right away.  I remember when we got home I looked up the show on this relatively new thing called the internet.  :p  I never really watched it, but I understand it ran longer than MV.  We visit San Francisco almost yearly.  It's a great town with so many unique little neighborhoods.  I'm surprised I didn't start watching it back then.  I love the old series The Streets of San Francisco.  We've been there so many times together, and as a kid I had family there, that I can usually name the neighborhood they're filming in.  I might give it a look now.  Is it streaming anywhere?

Below is a pic from my encounter with the Nashman. It was pretty much the same experience as yours. In my twenties, me and my girlfriend at the time went to SF, strolled along Fisherman's Wharf and found ourselves right in the middle of the filming of a thrird season episode. They were doing a scene where Don and Cheech pull up to the "Steelhead Brewery" in the 'Cuda, get out and run into the building. Between takes, they were making jokes with the crowds. They were filming there basically all day in and out of the building for a scene that is about 30 seconds in the episode.

In the evening, Don and the crew were having a party inside the bar and I was standing outside, talking to the the guy who was responsible for taking care of the four 'Cuda's they used in the show. He told me a bit about the troubles he had to keep them running and how difficult it sometimes was to get them fixed after stunts. Sometime after midnight, a crew member drove away the 'Cuda and a black Lincoln limo drove up. Then Don came out of the bar and exchanged a few words with the guy I was talking to and - also myself. Because it was so late, there were hardly any tourists around anymore, so basically no one noticed who he was. My girlfriend wanted to take a pic of me with Don, however he didn't want to, probably because he was with the girl who played his daughter in the show and I think it wasn't yet public that he was dating her.

I liked the show very much. It filled a big void for me seven years after Vice had ended. And the concept had some obvious similarities. I liked the humor in the relationship between Nash and Joe and all the ex-wife and daughter stories. And I liked the clothes. They were perfect for the SF setting and Don's advanced age. The reunion eps with Tommy Chong and PMT were a blast.

I probably still have more pics in the basement. I'm gonna move my home in a couple weeks, so I will try digging them up and post them here.

32004966147_afa4e4d274_o.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Below is a pic from my encounter with the Nashman. It was pretty much the same experience as yours. In my twenties, me and my girlfriend at the time went to SF, strolled along Fisherman's Wharf and found ourselves right in the middle of the filming of a thrird season episode. They were doing a scene where Don and Cheech pull up to the "Steelhead Brewery" in the 'Cuda, get out and run into the building. Between takes, they were making jokes with the crowds. They were filming there basically all day in and out of the building for a scene that is about 30 seconds in the episode.

In the evening, Don and the crew were having a party inside the bar and I was standing outside, talking to the the guy who was responsible for taking care of the four 'Cuda's they used in the show. He told me a bit about the troubles he had to keep them running and how difficult it sometimes was to get them fixed after stunts. Sometime after midnight, a crew member drove away the 'Cuda and a black Lincoln limo drove up. Then Don came out of the bar and exchanged a few words with the guy I was talking to and - also myself. Because it was so late, there were hardly any tourists around anymore, so basically no one noticed who he was. My girlfriend wanted to take a pic of me with Don, however he didn't want to, probably because he was with the girl who played his daughter in the show and I think it wasn't yet public that he was dating her.

I liked the show very much. It filled a big void for me seven years after Vice had ended. And the concept had some obvious similarities. I liked the humor in the relationship between Nash and Joe and all the ex-wife and daughter stories. And I liked the clothes. They were perfect for the SF setting and Don's advanced age. The reunion eps with Tommy Chong and PMT were a blast.

I probably still have more pics in the basement. I'm gonna move my home in a couple weeks, so I will try digging them up and post them here.

32004966147_afa4e4d274_o.jpg

Cool story!   We didn't actually hang around the shoot very long.  We had things to do and, like i said, I wasn't familiar with the show at the time.  I think we were in the North Beach area when we saw them filming, but I'm not certain.  I do remember seeing the car.  It's hard to miss that yellow!   I didn't even know they had Tommy Chong and PMT on it.  I'm a little more inclined to seek it out now.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 9:30 PM, pahonu said:

I didn't even know they had Tommy Chong and PMT on it.  I'm a little more inclined to seek it out now.

I can only recommend that...there are also episodes with Glenn Frey, John Diehl, William Russ (he plays a character Nash knows from his past... rings a bell?) and Meat Loaf in supporting roles. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who was in 'Asian Cut' plays Nash's boss in the first two seasons. So there should be enough to discover for the Vice fan.

IMG_4069.JPG

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, daytona365 said:

I can only recommend that...there are also episodes with Glenn Frey, John Diehl, William Russ (he plays a character Nash knows from his past... rings a bell?) and Meat Loaf in supporting roles. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, who was in 'Asian Cut' plays Nash's boss in the first two seasons. So there should be enough to discover for the Vice fan.

IMG_4069.JPG

Wow!  Thanks

I tried watching Nash Bridges during its original run but I didn't like it.  Later on I visited San Francisco a couple of times as a tourist and then caught some Nash reruns on TV.  I got hooked and watched most of the series.  They didn't do splashy shots showing off SF landmarks, but the feel of on-location shooting is really there in every scene.  You can tell you're in SF and not on a studio lot.

The show is nothing like Vice.  It's a generic, upbeat buddy cop show of the type that was common in the 1970s and 1980s.  But it's fun to watch if you like that type of show and you want your DJ fix.

strange watching it on the H&I network . there weren't many pop songs in it, but the ones that were have been taken out. Remember the worry about whether Vice would have the songs in the dvd's, seems like the same thing happened here in most episodes songs replaced in syndication and dvd. on USA they didnt do that

Edited by AzVice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
9 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

That's some house! Thanks for posting this, Matt. 

My pleasure just saw it - although Don left San Francisco in 2001 it’s still cool to see.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, daytona365 said:

IMG_4069.JPG

It's a shame Ricardo didn't look like this in season 4 and 5, he looks like the stylish Tubbs from seasons 1&2 even though its 8 years later. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2018 at 2:23 AM, pmconroy said:

Did you like the series Nash Bridges? I saw one episode, and it didn't sit well with me. Maybe because I'm used to seeing younger, slimmer, tanner Don in pastel colors with a lively background rather than older, heavier Don dressed in weird suit jackets, bright colors and jeans with short hair in the cold concrete jungle of San Francisco. I feel like Nash Bridges was meant to recapture the feel of Miami Vice in a way - two suited cop partners in a coastal city - but the music, everything....I just don't like it.

I'm a hardcore DJ fan but I wouldn't spend my time watching the series. I'd rather rewatch Miami Vice over and over.

Agreed.

On 2/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, daytona365 said:

IMG_4069.JPG

You said William Russ was in an episode? Which was that?

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

You said William Russ was in an episode? Which was that?

S2E5 'Trackdown'. He‘s 'The Monk'

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

S2E5 'Trackdown'. He‘s 'The Monk'

Hey thanks! Never realised he was in it at all...I don't think it was ever  shown in the UK.