New piece on “Nash Bridges” Today

Matt5

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

well then, here's a little gift for you...

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Massively impressed! Now to check for box sets on Amazon :) I've seen little of William Russ but enough to know I like him and his style!! You've just redeemed bloody Nash Bridges (which I've always curled a lip at- I think it's the "Bubba's" that put me off) in  one  fell swoop! What a great scene!

1 minute ago, wolfie1996 said:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Massively impressed! Now to check for box sets on Amazon :) I've seen little of William Russ but enough to know I like him and his style!! You've just redeemed bloody Nash Bridges (which I've always curled a lip at- I think it's the "Bubba's" that put me off) in  one  fell swoop! What a great scene!

yeah the Bubba thing...that was the trademark running gag, maybe they had to invent this to somehow keep Don from keep calling everyone "Pal", as in MV :p  There was even an episode with a character named Bubba. A car mechanic who works on the 'Cuda and Nash calls him Bubba, and when he turns to him, he has a "Bubba" name tag on his work suit, which makes Nash raise an eyebrow. Overall it's a fun show, not the groundbreaking stuff that MV was, much more traditional and lighthearted, but entertaining if you manage not to compare it. There's also more focus on the private lives of Nash and Joe (Cheech).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daytona365 said:

yeah the Bubba thing...that was the trademark running gag, maybe they had to invent this to somehow keep Don from keep calling everyone "Pal", as in MV :p  There was even an episode with a character named Bubba. A car mechanic who works on the 'Cuda and Nash calls him Bubba, and when he turns to him, he has a "Bubba" name tag on his work suit, which makes Nash raise an eyebrow. Overall it's a fun show, not the groundbreaking stuff that MV was, much more traditional and lighthearted, but entertaining if you manage not to compare it. There's also more focus on the private lives of Nash and Joe (Cheech).

"Sold!" as Tubbs  would have said........you've fairly entertained my afternoon!

On 2/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, daytona365 said:

Below is a pic from my encounter with the Nashman. It was pretty much the same experience as yours. In my twenties, me and my girlfriend at the time went to SF, strolled along Fisherman's Wharf and found ourselves right in the middle of the filming of a thrird season episode. They were doing a scene where Don and Cheech pull up to the "Steelhead Brewery" in the 'Cuda, get out and run into the building. Between takes, they were making jokes with the crowds. They were filming there basically all day in and out of the building for a scene that is about 30 seconds in the episode.

In the evening, Don and the crew were having a party inside the bar and I was standing outside, talking to the the guy who was responsible for taking care of the four 'Cuda's they used in the show. He told me a bit about the troubles he had to keep them running and how difficult it sometimes was to get them fixed after stunts. Sometime after midnight, a crew member drove away the 'Cuda and a black Lincoln limo drove up. Then Don came out of the bar and exchanged a few words with the guy I was talking to and - also myself. Because it was so late, there were hardly any tourists around anymore, so basically no one noticed who he was. My girlfriend wanted to take a pic of me with Don, however he didn't want to, probably because he was with the girl who played his daughter in the show and I think it wasn't yet public that he was dating her.

I liked the show very much. It filled a big void for me seven years after Vice had ended. And the concept had some obvious similarities. I liked the humor in the relationship between Nash and Joe and all the ex-wife and daughter stories. And I liked the clothes. They were perfect for the SF setting and Don's advanced age. The reunion eps with Tommy Chong and PMT were a blast.

I probably still have more pics in the basement. I'm gonna move my home in a couple weeks, so I will try digging them up and post them here.

32004966147_afa4e4d274_o.jpg

Great photo!

• 3 weeks later...

James Hong, who played Riochi Tanaka in MV episode "The Rising Sun of Death" in Nash Bridges episode "Home Invasion"grafik.thumb.png.9747cb481c2b699f9a12a1ca3e77d1d4.png

Tony Plana, who appeared in two episodes of Miami Vice, in Nash Bridges episode "Skirt Chasers"grafik.thumb.png.08e28a03c3673b7b656c6a47b2782bbc.png

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 10:23 PM, pmconroy said:

Did you like the series Nash Bridges? I saw one episode, and it didn't sit well with me. Maybe because I'm used to seeing younger, slimmer, tanner Don in pastel colors with a lively background rather than older, heavier Don dressed in weird suit jackets, bright colors and jeans with short hair in the cold concrete jungle of San Francisco. I feel like Nash Bridges was meant to recapture the feel of Miami Vice in a way - two suited cop partners in a coastal city - but the music, everything....I just don't like it.

I'm a hardcore DJ fan but I wouldn't spend my time watching the series. I'd rather rewatch Miami Vice over and over.

I simply cant bear cheech as a west coast version of Tubbs.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I simply cant bear cheech as a west coast version of Tubbs.

Neither can I. Cheech was like a jester on the show and was painful to watch his character make an ass of himself over and over. 

• 3 months later...

that's okay because his character had nothing to do with Tubbs. 

also considering Cheech use to play a stoner in the movies, i think   Joe Dominguez was just fine.

Edited by AzVice
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was a casual 'fan.' I always like seeing Don in things and he seemed to be really enjoying the show; dare I say: more than Vice. That said, the show was hardly memorable. It was far from groundbreaking TV like Vice was, in fact I wouldn't be able to name the top 5 Nash episodes. 

Ironically I live in SF now, so I feel more excited about the reunion show. And truth be told, the teasers look really fun! Also DJ actually looks fitter/ better than in let's say the last 3-4 seasons of Nash, where the short hair and the clear overweight started to show. Also no doubt the fashion now will be a lot better than the godawful clothes he wore in a lot of Nash episodes, where he looked like a Vegas failed magician with these awful cuts and colors. 

On 10/15/2021 at 1:28 PM, AzVice said:

USA has announced the movie will air Nov 27th

I just saw this Topic AzVice. What is this about a movie on Nov. 27th ? Will it be a movie about Nash Bridges ?

I always liked Nash & have most of the episodes on tape. Please give us more information. Thanks ! :thumbsup:

;(I may be weirder that all of you, because I was never a Don Johnson fan.  I remember seeing him EARLY in his career (anyone know a show called the Two-Five?), and he was watchable to me, but NOT as watchable as the Gage and Desoto actors.
I like Johnson and Thomas for their selection as actors to play Tubbs and Crockett--I think the decisions and the luck ended up in an excellent fit of roles/partners/series.  
I could never accept the gist of Nash Bridges.  I couldn't approve of the quirkiness of the characters (ANY of them), of the relationships they developed with each other, of the necessity for Nash's yellow car, of why they put the camera lens on the tilt whenever filming in the police's building of operations (remember the Riddler's hideout in Batman).  And because I couldn't resolve the logic of those things, I kept criticizing the show for making obvious efforts just to outdo Miami Vice's "dice in the rolling city" personality,... and I kept saying to myself, "at least when Miami Vice acted like dice in a rolling city, THEY had a good reason, cuz Miami was actually wild like that.  Nash is a San Francisco show, so there's no excuse for them to be odd like that."
I'm sure I was just being prejudiced against the show, but the fact that Don Johnson was in there didn't improve any of their chances with me.   

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I just saw this Topic AzVice. What is this about a movie on Nov. 27th ? Will it be a movie about Nash Bridges ?

I always liked Nash & have most of the episodes on tape. Please give us more information. Thanks ! :thumbsup:

Nash Bridges the movie, Tony. It will be on USA network on Thanksgiving day(?) November 27th. If successful,, it might become a series once again. Teasers look good; I am pretty excited about this, although of course it ain't no Vice....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The Saturday after Thanksgiving. :thumbsup:

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Dadrian! I'll check TV Guide to see what time it will air.

6 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Dadrian! I'll check TV Guide to see what time it will air.

You’re welcome, My Friend. 

23 hours ago, MennoinSF said:

https://ktla.com/entertainment/don-johnson-shares-what-got-him-excited-to-come-back-for-the-nash-bridges-movie/

Wow, I actually see in the clip that the Cuda drove through my street! Where the heck was I that day?  :-(

https://www.fox5ny.com/video/1002465

and another clip

Where? Playing as Crockett on that boat lol

Edited by Mr. Calderon

8 minutes ago, Mr. Calderon said:

Where? Playing as Crockett on that boat lol

Ha, that would have been a valid excuse. When they were filming, I diligently searched for info on filming locations. To now see them pass my bloody house in a clip, makes me look even more silly :)

Here another great interview:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MennoinSF said:

Ha, that would have been a valid excuse. When they were filming, I diligently searched for info on filming locations. To now see them pass my bloody house in a clip, makes me look even more silly :)

Here another great interview:

Nick Cannon...looks like a Giancarlo Esposito drug dealer version for the 21st century...

On 11/16/2021 at 9:04 PM, Dadrian said:

You’re welcome, My Friend. 

I received my TV Guide today and it lists The Nash Bridges movie on Saturday, Nov27th at 9PM on USA!

There is also an article with pictures called "BACK IN ACTION". 

"San Francisco's coolest cops partner again for a Nash Bridges movie - and hope the cases ( and the laughs! ) keep coming. by Ileane Rudolph."

• Like 2