Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

[...] When he came in with the slicked-back pompadour speaking in whiskey voice, NBC went bonkers. "They raised hell. They said they wanted my normal voice and my regular hair, and I said no. Sonny is a man on the move, and I want him looking that way and sounding that way. It worked." 

[...] " Sonny Crockett Is moving fast all the time. I designed him to look that way. He's intense. His hair is intense. Everything about him says: Go. The voice I made hoarse, gravelly, raspy. Crockett Is always running around with crazed drug dealers, drinking whiskey: he's got to have that kind of voice. The hair has got to be severe. Slicked back. That's how I styled him, and it's working." 

hpqscan0031.thumb.jpg.8b43532f3c6a98f2f907915e11d874ae.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 4

On 10/31/2023 at 2:40 AM, johnnyfarragut said:

[...] When he came in with the slicked-back pompadour speaking in whiskey voice, NBC went bonkers. "They raised hell. They said they wanted my normal voice and my regular hair, and I said no. Sonny is a man on the move, and I want him looking that way and sounding that way. It worked." 

[...] " Sonny Crockett Is moving fast all the time. I designed him to look that way. He's intense. His hair is intense. Everything about him says: Go. The voice I made hoarse, gravelly, raspy. Crockett Is always running around with crazed drug dealers, drinking whiskey: he's got to have that kind of voice. The hair has got to be severe. Slicked back. That's how I styled him, and it's working." 

hpqscan0031.thumb.jpg.8b43532f3c6a98f2f907915e11d874ae.jpg

Nice find! It's interesting to refer to Don's hair as "slicked back". To me, when I think of a slick-backed DJ I think of his scenes on the boat, like in Evan. I agree with pompadour as a general descriptor though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update 10 weeks after the last. After having grown out the sides and back I got a trim last weekend. I asked him to do a cleanup around the ears and trim the hairs in a layered fashion. He's been a barber since his 20s which was sometime in the 80s, so thankfully he seems to remember how to do layers still although it's not a very common look these days. I'm very happy with it right now and just debating on whether the keep the sides and back growing or keep it on the shorter side of the Crockett look. What do you guys think?

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

(Sorry for going offtopic):

Pat Riley's hairstyle evolution has no parallel  :):):)

IMG_20231229_140451.jpg.597d907f6c219d81b2eb57d1af7151cc.jpg

IMG_20231229_140409.jpg.830d94ce6072996593b63d2e74adeca3.jpg

IMG_20231229_140655.jpg.e496c1c62dd314b86e1cfdf17a1682fc.jpgIMG_20231229_140621.jpg.8012221ffdea973e60774d535a593527.jpg

IMG_20231229_140545.thumb.jpg.80f41e95a8e82dc05b67232d8469fdfc.jpg

You forgot this one. :p

IMG_4887.jpeg

Actually I don’t think it has changed that much, except for the first one in his playing days.  That pic was the early 70’s and not too wild if you look back at players of the era. The glasses pics are when he was the assistant coach to Paul Westhead in 79-80.  When he took over as head coach in the Lakers Showtime era, it became the wet look of the 80’s, but the cut isn’t dramatically different.  Also true with the grey years with Miami.  This is all from memory, minus his playing years when I was very young. My first memory of him was as an announcer for the Lakers in the late 70’s.  I remember reading once that he won championships as a player, assistant coach, head coach, and team president.  Very impressive!

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 3:17 PM, pahonu said:

You forgot this one. :p

IMG_4887.jpeg

Actually I don’t think it has changed that much, except for the first one in his playing days.  That pic was the early 70’s and not too wild if you look back at players of the era. The glasses pics are when he was the assistant coach to Paul Westhead in 79-80.  When he took over as head coach in the Lakers Showtime era, it became the wet look of the 80’s, but the cut isn’t dramatically different.  Also true with the grey years with Miami.  This is all from memory, minus his playing years when I was very young. My first memory of him was as an announcer for the Lakers in the late 70’s.  I remember reading once that he won championships as a player, assistant coach, head coach, and team president.  Very impressive!

Not sure who this guy is, but he sure captures the Gordon Gekko look, lol. Great movie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BunMVO said:

Not sure who this guy is, but he sure captures the Gordon Gekko look, lol. Great movie

He was the NBA coach of the L. A. Lakers in their glory days. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dadrian said:

He was the NBA coach of the L. A. Lakers in their glory days. 

I thought he was most famous for his appearance on Columbo in the early 70’s! :p  I don’t remember the episode name, but it had Robert Culp.  There was a scene in a gym and all the players were actual Lakers, including him! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I thought he was most famous for his appearance on Columbo in the early 70’s! :p  I don’t remember the episode name, but it had Robert Culp.  There was a scene in a gym and all the players were actual Lakers, including him! 

Episode: The Most Crucial Game (1972). I didn't know about this!

IMG_20240108_005434.jpg.67025953367414d606acd57f2fc15c32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Hey just wanna say thanks for posting the tutorial on the style, MRich209! Always wanted to know how it was done! My front is at the length needed and came out great! The part I'm finding difficult is pulling the hair strands down. It looks like he does 5 hairs on the opposite side of the part? Just can't figure out how he pulls them down so cleanly and have them stick out. Also it seems like the sides and back should be at the same length/slightly longer than the front right?