Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

Excellent, @Mrich209! You've been cutting it YOURSELF? Holy crap. Do you do any layering when you cut it or do you just follow that line around your forehead and down to the ears? How do you cut the back yourself? That would be interesting in a video. Thanks!!! This was very helpful.

• Like 2

Nice work, @Mrich209! From those pictures of your hair all down, your hair is shorter than I thought. My hair is pretty wild and whatnot, but it’s essentially the same cut, but my bangs go down to my eyes and the sides go down all the way to bottom of the ear... And longer in the back. I’ve been cutting my hair myself for the past five years or so. Most barbers don’t cut it 80s enough for me, lol.

What I do is I cut out a 4 inch piece of thick cardboard and folded it over and tape it with packaging tape so it’s very sturdy. Then I take a bunch of hairs and measure with that cardboard piece, pinch the hairs in place, and cut with scissors. You do have to be very careful and make sure to keep the cardboard piece straight up and measure. My hair is very even, all the layers are exactly 4 inches long... Except I do some snipping on the ends by the ears and etc. To even up the back, I will use a handheld mirror and a big mirror and cut the back when it’s wet before it curls up. I normally do a little at a time and comb. Just cutting straight across isn’t very easy to do (at least not for my hair since it’s very thick and wavy).

I have also done 3 inches and etc. This process gets very even layers but can be time consuming. For me it can take up to an hour to cut it all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 4:36 AM, Titus said:

Excellent, @Mrich209! You've been cutting it YOURSELF? Holy crap. Do you do any layering when you cut it or do you just follow that line around your forehead and down to the ears? How do you cut the back yourself? That would be interesting in a video. Thanks!!! This was very helpful.

To be fair my barber butchered my back in January it's grown out since then but yes believe it or not once you have dimensions that's all you need

• Like 1

Looks amazing Mrich209. You have pretty much gotten as close as I've seen anyone get to the mid-late Season 2 look.

Here's a photo of me which my girlfriend took on our recent trip to Fort Myers, Florida. Never mind the stupid mask, we had to since we were taking an Uber. I thought the side angle looked especially close to Crockett's Season 1 look.

Me (29).JPG

• Like 4

Excellent, @pmconroy! :thumbsup: Season 1 definitely. I like the way you're letting the sides and the back go a little. Well done. (Also well done with the linen blazer and T-shirt in Fort Myers in summer. Hats off to you!)

(Aside: Whenever I'm in Florida, I wonder how people used to wear normal clothes in the summer. Everyone is in nothing but tank tops and shorts now. But it used to be the norm. Also, think about all that DJ and PMT had to do in the heat, PMT sometimes with buttoned collar and a silk tie ?(.)

I'll be giving myself a @Mrich209 season 2 haircut in a couple of weeks. I'll post the results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Titus said:

Excellent, @pmconroy! :thumbsup: Season 1 definitely. I like the way you're letting the sides and the back go a little. Well done. (Also well done with the linen blazer and T-shirt in Fort Myers in summer. Hats off to you!)

(Aside: Whenever I'm in Florida, I wonder how people used to wear normal clothes in the summer. Everyone is in nothing but tank tops and shorts now. But it used to be the norm. Also, think about all that DJ and PMT had to do in the heat, PMT sometimes with buttoned collar and a silk tie ?(.)

I'll be giving myself a @Mrich209 season 2 haircut in a couple of weeks. I'll post the results.

Thanks! It's hard to make the sides go straight back, but it still turns out fine.

I also wonder when it changed that people wore "clothes" clothes instead of practically beachwear everywhere. I am able to tolerate it in the heat and humidity and I'm sure people are confused about how especially since I'm from Minnesota.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:58 PM, pmconroy said:

Looks amazing Mrich209. You have pretty much gotten as close as I've seen anyone get to the mid-late Season 2 look.

Here's a photo of me which my girlfriend took on our recent trip to Fort Myers, Florida. Never mind the stupid mask, we had to since we were taking an Uber. I thought the side angle looked especially close to Crockett's Season 1 look.

Me (29).JPG

Thanks pal !!! Took years of trial and error. Still a little ways to go styling wise but I'm almost there lol.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 4:56 AM, Titus said:

Oh man lol, hopefully I've given you all the info you need but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous to see the first example of my "how to" lol.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, @Mrich209, here's my first attempt. Not perfect, but I'm pleased with the Season 1-like results. I cut it myself following your parameters and styled with your instructions. Your method is solid. I couldn't get the piece in front to come down because I cut it a bit too short so I'll post back when I figure that out.

The back always curls up when it gets long no matter what I do with it. I also did the wrong side. I'm just used to combing it from my right.

I'm going to let it progress into Season 2 ("Payback" on Frank Zappa's yacht), then skip Seasons 3-4 (unless Sheena Easton calls me) and finally rock out Season 5 by springtime or even next summer. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see what happens.

IMG_20200912_144937751.thumb.jpg.964cadabb82ce4cb711e91eea945da29.jpg

IMG_20200912_145220472.thumb.jpg.529618aac59b53c2a4c8c15d6e831037.jpg

IMG_20200912_145050148.thumb.jpg.85d6e9a1fa1c14849cd4dfe300aa5274.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Titus said:

OK, @Mrich209, here's my first attempt. Not perfect, but I'm pleased with the Season 1-like results. I cut it myself following your parameters and styled with your instructions. Your method is solid. I couldn't get the piece in front to come down because I cut it a bit too short so I'll post back when I figure that out.

The back always curls up when it gets long no matter what I do with it. I also did the wrong side. I'm just used to combing it from my right.

I'm going to let it progress into Season 2 ("Payback" on Frank Zappa's yacht), then skip Seasons 3-4 (unless Sheena Easton calls me) and finally rock out Season 5 by springtime or even next summer. That's the plan, anyway. We'll see what happens.

IMG_20200912_144937751.thumb.jpg.964cadabb82ce4cb711e91eea945da29.jpg

IMG_20200912_145220472.thumb.jpg.529618aac59b53c2a4c8c15d6e831037.jpg

IMG_20200912_145050148.thumb.jpg.85d6e9a1fa1c14849cd4dfe300aa5274.jpg

Looks great !!! Yea the back is the biggest pain in the you know what. You need a circular brush that's hollow, then use a blow dryer to pull it out/down. As far as the front's concerned, eyebrow length is what you're going for, but some of Don's promotional pics are even shorter, so you should be right there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Going for the "Prodigal Son" look, I see. Very nice/vice. I detect a very slight hint of a pattern on the jacket, as well as the off-white color. Much better choice than the plain bright white ones you see everyone doing for costume parties. I have a similar one myself.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...