Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

Yeah, pretty much, just less coverage :(

Dang, well hair isn’t everything!

I actually used to do that short butch cut in middle/high school. About 1/2 inch to 1 inch. It was pretty easy maintenance but I prefer having it longer so it can be styled more.

4 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

I’m sorry, man. You may get lucky and just have your hair thin out a little bit and not actually go bald.

Haha, well, my dad had very thick, wavy hair like mine all the way until he passed away at 52. Both of my grandfathers kept a pretty full head of hair at age 80+, although my mom’s dad had a slightly receded hairline. *worries* His hairline was probably like a half inch to one inch further back than a normal hairline. It was still full otherwise. I’m not sure if his hair was like that when he was younger or not. Some people just have high hairlines (I’ll keep telling myself that).

Look to your maternal grandfather for your future hairline and also your mother’s brothers if she has any.  The gene is carried on the female side.  Your paternal grandfather could be pate bald and not pass it on to your father or you.

Personally, my paternal grandfather was bald and my dad had very receded hair.  I’m approaching 50 and have very thick, though highly graying hair.  In fact, my hair was grayer at 45 than my father’s when he died at 81.  My mom’s brothers, on the other hand, both in their 70’s have thick white hair.  That’s the genetic side it passed on from.  I don’t know about my mom’s father because he died when she was very young.  I would wager he had thick and unbaldng hair.

I got this from my wife who teaches human anatomy and physiology.  She told me more that I don’t recall, or maybe didn’t understand to begin with!

Hey pals, I bet your tired of seeing my mug but I was watching "back in the world" and discovered I've been making the part too close to center. So I fixed it and....

20200717_172629.jpg

20200717_172454.jpg

20200717_172444.jpg

20200717_172432.jpg

20200717_172423.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Amazing! :clap:

Crazy how one slight change makes such a big difference, not as poofed up in the front. Saw the episode last night and went "grrrrr how didn't I see that before" lol

Edited by Mrich209
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OCBman said:

Fantastic thread.

Thanks pal !!! It's an ever evolving search for the holy grail lol but just like tom hanks in the da Vinci  code I feel like I've almost cracked it lol

• Haha 2

On 7/15/2020 at 3:15 PM, pahonu said:

Look to your maternal grandfather for your future hairline and also your mother’s brothers if she has any.  The gene is carried on the female side.  Your paternal grandfather could be pate bald and not pass it on to your father or you.

Personally, my paternal grandfather was bald and my dad had very receded hair.  I’m approaching 50 and have very thick, though highly graying hair.  In fact, my hair was grayer at 45 than my father’s when he died at 81.  My mom’s brothers, on the other hand, both in their 70’s have thick white hair.  That’s the genetic side it passed on from.  I don’t know about my mom’s father because he died when she was very young.  I would wager he had thick and unbaldng hair.

I got this from my wife who teaches human anatomy and physiology.  She told me more that I don’t recall, or maybe didn’t understand to begin with!

Yeah, my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair but kind of a high hairline. However, I recently looked at pictures of him in his early 20s and he had that hairline back then. Could just be a big forehead! :) I think it seems really noticeable because he always slicked his hair back with Bryllcreem. My mother just has one living brother who is 53. She had one other brother who sadly died as a baby. The brother who is 53 has a very full, thick head of hair, but generally keeps it very short. He also has that big forehead look.

I have a widow’s peak, myself, but my maternal grandfather didn’t, and my mom’s brother doesn’t. However, my paternal grandfather had a widow’s peak. I wonder if that trait can be dominant?

Edited by AndrewRemington

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Yeah, my maternal grandfather had a full head of hair but kind of a high hairline. However, I recently looked at pictures of him in his early 20s and he had that hairline back then. Could just be a big forehead! :) I think it seems really noticeable because he always slicked his hair back with Bryllcreem. My mother just has one living brother who is 53. She had one other brother who sadly died as a baby. The brother who is 53 has a very full, thick head of hair, but generally keeps it very short. He also has that big forehead look.

I have a widow’s peak, myself, but my maternal grandfather didn’t, and my mom’s brother doesn’t. However, my paternal grandfather had a widow’s peak. I wonder if that trait can be dominant?

My father’s hairline looked more receded too because he always slicked it back as well.  I don’t think hairline is controlled genetically in the same way as male pattern baldness, just like color is genetically different.  You seem to have genetics on your side!

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 7:44 PM, Mrich209 said:

Last one for now, made a subtle fix, you never stop learning lol

20200711_172659.jpg

Amazing look. How did you get the sides to stay pushed back like that?

On 7/14/2020 at 7:42 PM, Dadrian said:

FYI: a collector who owns the actual screen-worn Versace jacket Crockett is wearing in that scene visited my home once with his entire collection. It was a great time! :)

He donated generously the costumes you see me wearing in my videos. :fireworks:

Somehow I missed this post! That is amazing! I am very jealous!

• Like 1

Here's a neat video about this topic... it's not as exact as @Mrich209's, which is as good as it gets, but if your hairstylist doesn't understand how to do long layers on men (which likely they don't because they've been steeped in modern disconnected hairstyles), then show them this:

I'm thrilled this style is coming back. I never thought it would. In the 90s and 00s, it was RIDICULED to death. But what goes around comes around... the younger generation who weren't around back then is re-discovering a classic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:33 PM, pmconroy said:

Amazing look. How did you get the sides to stay pushed back like that?

A brush and hairspray, but i brush the sides slightly upward so that way they fall just over my ears.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:57 AM, Titus said:

Here's a neat video about this topic... it's not as exact as @Mrich209's, which is as good as it gets, but if your hairstylist doesn't understand how to do long layers on men (which likely they don't because they've been steeped in modern disconnected hairstyles), then show them this:

I'm thrilled this style is coming back. I never thought it would. In the 90s and 00s, it was RIDICULED to death. But what goes around comes around... the younger generation who weren't around back then is re-discovering a classic.

I don't know about as good as it gets but thanks lol !!! I'm stoked that this is coming back into style, so tired of undercuts !!!

• Like 1

Ok...I can't swear to this because I don't want to be put in a funny farm for talking to myself in the bathroom, but if I were to do a how to video, from everything to the proper way to cut it, to the styling, would there be any interest ?

• Like 2

Last guy screwed mine up. Took too much off the back and left too much on top. Also didn't understand layers at all. Need to find someone new. I'm letting it grow out now, maybe for a September cut.