Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

So I've had a few people ask me how the late season one/early to mid season two hairstyle is done. I could do an in depth styling/ product etc if any of you are interested.Hopefully i could save you guys a few bucks/ time, seeing as how it took me the better part of 5 years to get it down, just let me know....

• Like 1

I've mastered the art pretty carefully. It seems simple to me now, but it took me at least a year to get the look down. It would be interesting to see your methods and I can share mine as well.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2019 at 9:38 PM, pmconroy said:

I've mastered the art pretty carefully. It seems simple to me now, but it took me at least a year to get the look down. It would be interesting to see your methods and I can share mine as well.

What's your method, pmconroy?

1 hour ago, Titus said:

What's your method, pmconroy?

I can't remember the measurements for my haircut, but as for actually doing my hair, I jump in the shower and dry off. Then while I'm shaving, I let it naturally dry as much as I can. Then I blow-dry it once, run some American Crew Forming Cream through it and start to get it in the shape I want it in (slightly higher left side part, flip up the front a bit, then sweep the sides back over my ears). Then I run the blow-dryer over it again so it stays nice and puffed. I am actually getting my hair cut soon, I can report back once I have the lengths. I think it's about 4.5 inches on top, then 2 inches on the side.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay (crazy week)

So I think I'll clear up some misnomers first....

1. "The sides are shorter then the top."     No, the sides are just as long as the top. Actually the sides should be slightly longer then the front. The idea with the sides is to brush them back and slightly up, that way they fall just over the ears, but still look clean. It's kind of a optical illusion.

v1.jpg

2. "It's just a traditional part...."  Nope, if you just do a regular part you'll wind up looking like you got the same haircut you had when you were 5, just a little longer. It's an incredibly subtle part, mostly back. What I'll do is start by brushing everything back, then brush maybe 2/3rd's of the top back with a slight almost diagonal part.

MV5BNTI2ZTMyOWQtODIyMi00MDIwLWFkNmMtMjdmZWQzZGY4MTQ0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA1NDY3NzY@._V1_.jpg

MV5BNWIyODlkNzgtMzRhYi00NjIxLWI2MjUtNWNmMjk3MTk3NTg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA1NDY3NzY@._V1_.jpg

gettyimages-138446726-612x612.jpg

Edited by Mrich209

3. "Just throw some gel in there..."    No, you need a dry paste product, one with hold but little shine. I use KMS hairplay. The shine comes after the fact with a light hold hairspray. That will get rid of any flyaway hairs/frizz and clean the look up...

71oF-l1JRCL._SY355_.jpg

48366484_2047459812008010_5667585186775171072_n.jpg

Hopefully that clears up some things. Now here's my step by step process...

1. Shower, use a good shampoo with conditioner

2. Towel dry, don't blow dry. You should towel dry it well but let it flop straight down while you're getting dressed.

3. After it's air dried, that's when you grab the blow dryer, but you hardly need to hit the front or the sides. The most important part, and the part that sets up the rest of the style, is the back. It's nearly impossible to brush the back down and expect it to be clean looking/not wave or curl. The only way to get Don's look is by blow drying the back up/out, giving it as much volume as possible.

4. Brush the top and sides back before you put any product in, making sure to brush the sides back/up, and not parting the top at all yet, just straight back.

5. Use your molding paste on the top only, the sides can't handle that heavy of a product. Brush it through several times. If you want to use anything besides hairspray on the sides, use mousse, it's light enough you can get away with it it (but not much !!!)

6.Use your hair spray on the sides/back, lighting adjusting where needed with your hands.

7. If you have blow dryer comb accessory use it !!! This thing is awesome, it forces the hair to stay back but still look natural. Also, you should have a directional accessory on your blow dryer for everything else !!! If not you're just making it a mess with the standard, no attachment dryer.

8. Now, using a brush, put the afore mentioned "slight, mostly diagonal/backward part in. Hair spray the top after.

9. The front.... Ever notice how the back and sides/most of the top looks so clean but the front looks thinned out with the pieces coming down ? That because you have to select individual pieces all the way across the front to separate (pull apart) from the rest of the hair, then set back into place. By doing this it makes the front look more "piecey" for lack of a better term. Then pick one, thin strand and pull it straight down over your forehead. Hairspray the front/top again and you're good to go...

concentrator.jpg

Professional-Universal-Hairdressing-Salon-Hair-Dryer-Diffuser-Wind-Blow-Cover-Comb-hair-combs-hair-accessories.jpg

f03c85de621f0657642b601a7c7e2c92.jpg

Miami-VIce-Season-2-opener-miami-vice-9384827-795-583.jpg

MV5BZjhiODMxMmQtMTZiZS00YWEyLTg5ZDUtMWJkN2VjNDRlOTUwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA1NDY3NzY@._V1_UY1200_CR511,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

don-johnson.jpg

The side is definitely shorter than the top. And no it is not a traditional part - it is "kind of" parted. It depends on what part of the series you are trying to imitate. Don's hair looked slightly different all the time. American Crew Forming Cream is the way to go, from what I've found. Looking at your hair it looks more like a season 2 look.

Mrich, yesterday I tried your method of putting the paste only on the top after air-drying, then light spray on the sides. What a difference! The sides look very Crockett-ish. (They've grown out quite a bit since the picture.) Great tip!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 5:03 AM, Titus said:

Mrich, yesterday I tried your method of putting the paste only on the top after air-drying, then light spray on the sides. What a difference! The sides look very Crockett-ish. (They've grown out quite a bit since the picture.) Great tip!

Happy I could help Pal, figured if anything I could save people some time trying to figure out "the great mystery" lol.

My hair is very wavy and frizzy without product, but thankfully I use a very strong hairspray called "Aussie - Instant Freeze", which keeps is straight. Regarding styling, my routine is:

towel dry, spraying, combing it almost all slick back on top, (with a slight part in the very front), and sort of turning the comb, which both allows the bangs to go sideways instead of back, and having the sides meet/touch in the back, as opposed to back and down to the neck. After an hour of letting it 'set', I comb it basically the same way to get rid of the 'wet' look, and then use my hands to flatten it. Then I mess with the bangs a bit to get them to fall on my forehead.

It ain't perfect, but it's my favorite way to style my hair until i try out these new tips. As for Sonny's hair length on the sides in relation to the top, it seems to me that it depends on which season, and where into said season we are. I feel like throughout season 2, Don's hair got longer on top and in the back, but the sides were given a trim.  Season 4 (the first half anyway) seems like a longer exaggerated look of the latter half of season 2's style. Season 1 is probably easiest, as after the first 2 episodes, it seems like they maintained it in the exact same way. Only difference was how the hair would rest.

One thing I plan on doing someday when I go through the entire show is to pause when necessary and take screencaps for reference (my PC is a blu-ray player, so getting pics should be easy.)

Edited by TylerDurden389

10 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

One thing I plan on doing someday when I go through the entire show is to pause when necessary and take screencaps for reference (my PC is a blu-ray player, so getting pics should be easy.)

This might be easier to get screen grabs from if you don't want to swap in discs:

https://www.nbc.com/miami-vice/episodes

They have all seasons streaming but you just have to deal with commercials.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I like Crockett's season 3 hairstyle as the best for me to use. It's easier to manage! :thumbsup:

I haven't had a haircut since March 1, so it looks like I'm headed into season 4 :o. I should probably get a trim soon... haha.

• Haha 2

On 9/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Titus said:

I haven't had a haircut since March 1, so it looks like I'm headed into season 4 :o. I should probably get a trim soon... haha.

Ever get that trim ? Or are you still rocking the season 4 super mullet lol ? Im about to lighten my hair up color wise to a more blonde shade like Don has.

Edited by Mrich209