Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

Off topic, but the Japanese are getting close to to producing an almost limitless amount of your own hair, but it will be expensive at first. I'm thinning now, but vain enough to get the treatment and as time goes on it will get cheaper like many things.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2019 at 10:43 PM, Mrich209 said:

So I've had a few people ask me how the late season one/early to mid season two hairstyle is done. I could do an in depth styling/ product etc if any of you are interested.Hopefully i could save you guys a few bucks/ time, seeing as how it took me the better part of 5 years to get it down, just let me know....

Mrich209, what do you tell your stylist when you go in for a trim?

I remember I was almost obsessed with my hair back then, when I was in my 20s to 30. I can confirm Mrich209's directions are quite right, but to me the most important element in order to get the job done is thickness. No way to emulate Sonny's look without thick hair. Mine were a bit thinner than Don's, and they got even thinner with aging.

On the other hand, I'm no longer into the vice look so, when I go to the barber shop, the only direction I gave him is: don't cut too much, pal ;-)

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 4:13 AM, Titus said:

Honestly I just downloaded a bunch of pictures on my phone, and he and I worked together to get it just right.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2019 at 5:16 AM, Jerry B. said:

I remember I was almost obsessed with my hair back then, when I was in my 20s to 30. I can confirm Mrich209's directions are quite right, but to me the most important element in order to get the job done is thickness. No way to emulate Sonny's look without thick hair. Mine were a bit thinner than Don's, and they got even thinner with aging.

On the other hand, I'm no longer into the vice look so, when I go to the barber shop, the only direction I gave him is: don't cut too much, pal ;-)

Thickness is important. My hair is stupidly thick so i have to get it really thinned out to get it to lay back like Don's.

On 10/2/2019 at 4:13 AM, Titus said:

Just follow the sides equaling the top length, and the back being just as long if not just slightly longer then the rest of it, and that should give you a solid foundation, then it's just the styling. What I've discovered, which matches the whole "Don's style differs from episode to episode" delimma is that you can try to do the same style twice and it will come out slightly different.

• Thanks 1

The one drawback of having super thick hair is it only takes a couple of weeks before the volume is larger then Don's... On the bright side I did finally get tortoise shell Ray Bans...

20191012_173326.jpg

20191012_173335.jpg

20191012_173359.jpg

20191012_173423.jpg

20191012_173443.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hey pals !!! Hope all of your are staying safe !!! Figured I'd post some updated photos. Figured out a few more things when it comes to Crockett's hairstyle, and since we have way more time on our hands I can break it down as much as you'd like !!!

20200321_161133.jpg

20200321_161156.jpg

20200321_161212.jpg

20200321_161243.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I might have to try this since I don't envision getting a cut until July.  New territory for me since I have always been a once a month visit until COVID-19.  My Flowbee is long gone.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Pals !!!! Sorry, I was going to post this sooner, but especially since all of the barber shops/salons are closed, figured this would be the perfect time for some hair dimension insider info..... The trick is, to not look at Don's hair when it's styled, but rather when its messed up. This shows the dimensions....You can see that the top/sides are equal in length and the back is slightly longer then both. So...easy fix, much like the first photo the sides should be trimmed just slightly shorter then the bottom of the ears, the top should be just above if not slightly higher then eyebrow length, and the back should be long enough to go over a collar. Hope this helps !!!

MIAMI-VICE-DON-BOAT-BILL-COOKE.jpg

628x471.jpg

e4ac5e0ba38f44e27f8e91a92d906121.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its always funny to see how different his hair looked when the wind blew lol. Even funnier, for the past year or so I already kinda got that idea of looking at it carefully when it wasn't combed 'right' to get a better idea of the proper hair length from each side (top, sides, back/bottom) but didn't think to mention it here. What I will say though, is as I've been rewatching the series, I've taken many snapshots to get better acclimated with the style (blu-ray provides so much more detail), and since I'm rewatching the show in production date order (rather than air date order), I can now tell when they gave Don a trim. His hair was significantly longer on top in the first 2 episodes, but for episode 3, they cut it closer to the same length as the sides and the back.

MV5BOWEyNDY2YjktNGY5Ni00Yjc5LWJmM2MtZTRi

cool-runnin-episode-3-air-date-10051984-

• 3 weeks later...

Hey pals !!! More insider info on the hairstyle incoming, including how to do the back and a few other tips. Lord knows it's the hardest style in the history of the planet to duplicate, but I feel like I'm 90% + there !!!

20200522_171322.jpg

20200522_171309.jpg

20200522_171257.jpg

20200522_171247.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 5:00 AM, Datona23 said:

It's always hard to tell the length as it doesn't lie flat. What length are the top, back and sides? What do you ask your barber.

I would say the sides should be just short of earlobe length, the top right around eyebrow length with the back being the same length.

Very nice job! :clap: Your hairstyle definitely looks like the classic season 1 and maybe half of season 2 look. Season 2 also had a stretch with longer back (which I also think is really cool).

image.thumb.jpeg.8047ba2fb83526066bead6e1a3df9ea5.jpeg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

Very nice job! :clap: Your hairstyle definitely looks like the classic season 1 and maybe half of season 2 look. Season 2 also had a stretch with longer back (which I also think is really cool).

image.thumb.jpeg.8047ba2fb83526066bead6e1a3df9ea5.jpeg

Thanks Pal !!!! You're right, by around "Phil the shill" he had grown the back out another few inches. Don't think I'll let it go that far though lol.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...