70's to 90's themed gun thread

Miami_JBT

On 5/31/2021 at 4:29 AM, Kladdagh said:

I think also it was 13 rounds :)

I stand corrected, never owned a Browning Hi-Power so my info must have been incorrect, it must have had 13 rds. capacity.  But it was the first "high capacity" pistol.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

Wow ... I tried one day a Desert Eagle .50 ... Was it designed to kill dinosaurs ?????

That was AMT's Automag V. :)

GzUx0sz.jpg

Edited by Miami_JBT
  • Haha 1

I can be the first to admit, in today's world, concealed carry is phenomenally advanced.  
Micro-compact double stack 9mm pistols that weigh close to nothing are awesome. 

But, while I am told to carry them. My heart yearns for something more elegant from years past.

Yes, my heart is after guns like the SIG P230/232, Walther PPK & PPK/S, Makarov, Bersa Thunder, Astra Constable, and Daewoo DH380. 

These little blowback. 380s just scream of a different era. A time when the idea of a concealed carry pistol was single stack, held between 6rds to 8rds of ammunition, and were usually chambered in .380 Automatic. 

When I started carrying, it was with a East German made Makarov in 9x18mm Mak. It served me well and I felt confident that I can defend myself with that just as well as I could with my S&W Model 642. 

uzXtSzC.jpg

But I carried the J-Frame as an on-duty backup gun and the Makarov as an off duty carry gun. It just was that good. It shot great, was accurate, reliable, and slim. Recoil was controllable for being blowback and it didn't have hammer bite like the Walther PPK. 

Now a days, guns like the Makarov are looked at as range oddities. Guns like my SIG P230 are looked at as carry guns that belong in a museum instead of a holster. My Walther PPK is strictly a range toy according to many shooters today and the other guns I mentioned are viewed as low dollar Saturday Night Specials by thee uninformed.

bCiw3Ax.jpg

I find it funny, when I hanged up the badge. I suddenly stopped carrying my GLOCKs everyday. Now, I still love my GLOCKs. I still keep one in my nightstand and I still strap the G17 when I travel as Gun Owners of America's State Director across Florida. (Mind you, when I usually do a speaking event, I carry something flashier at the event, like a S&W Model 686 or a S&W Model 4506-1.)

But often for doing more mundane things like going to the local stop 'n rob corner store for a gallon of milk or heading out to the grocery store for some ribs and sides for a BBQ. I grab guns like the Makarov, Walther, and SIG.

I find the .380 Auto and 9mm Mak are more than capable, especially with modern defensive loads today. Yes, they're not high capacity, they're not the newest polymer framed striker fired red dot sighted future blaster, and they're not chambered in 9x19mm parabellum. But damn, don't they just make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Edited by Miami_JBT
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sonny's backup/ankle pistol that replaced the Detonics. With an alloy frame the S&W was lighter, although it was a 9MM instead of a .45ACP.

8F693252-B8D4-4DBE-9D21-F938D5CF31C3_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Don't know if this video has been shown before but it's good if you are interested in guns of the 1980s including the guns that were on Vice.

• Like 1