Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

vor 2 Minuten schrieb summer84:

@SwissTubbs

I think it's awesome that Koch corrected the issues regarding color that the US release had and the boxart looks amazing with the vibrant color in blue and pink, but there was one question I had about the more grain, I noticed in the pictures as you are knowledgeable on this, if that's normal that it's there, it was less when the picture was brighter. Just wanted to know your opinion on this. Thanks. 

Thats normal.
It was omitted on the Mill Creek Blu Ray first because of the Gamma Shift and second because their encoding is much worse. So the encoding was messing with the grain.
Now on the german Blu Ray it is properly encoded and therefore all the grain not visible before its there now.

Remember this are old HD Scans from Universal.
If they would redo them all with todays technology the grain would be much finer.

But its not a solution to hide the existing grain in the masters available due to bad compression and too bright Picture.
BTW: Besides some dark Scenes it looks perfectly fine in Motion and the Picture is much mor stable than the Mill Creek blu ray because of the better compression.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SwissTubbs said:

Hello fellow Miami Vice Fans!

I have the great honor of presenting you some Facts about the upcoming German Blu Ray Disc Set for Miami Vice.

I can't see any of those images for some reason.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Leigh Burne:

I can't see any of those images for some reason.

You dont see them if you click on the link?
What happens?

Should open the Comparison Site then.

If not i can upload 2 or 3 of them to another site.

9 minutes ago, SwissTubbs said:

You dont see them if you click on the link?
What happens?

Should open the Comparison Site then.

If not i can upload 2 or 3 of them to another site.

I just get a message saying the site can't be reached.

If other people are seeing them OK perhaps it's my connection.

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Leigh Burne:

I just get a message saying the site can't be reached.

If other people are seeing them OK perhaps it's my connection.

It works here in the office.

Try again later.
If it not works i will upload at least the Pilot Comparison to another site :)

Well we've spoken about the possibility of this for years, the product looks to be all that was hoped. However, they seem to be saying, at the moment, it is an exclusive to their new web store, goes on sale on the 1st when we will find out where they will send it.

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb bodie:

Well we've spoken about the possibility of this for years, the product looks to be all that was hoped. However, they seem to be saying, at the moment, it is an exclusive to their new web store, goes on sale on the 1st when we will find out where they will send it.

They just announced in a Facebook comment to a person who asked them about shipping that they for the moment only ship in Europe.

So if someone from this Board wants the box and is not in Europe its not possible to get one at the moment.
Sadly.....;(

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much. If US fans really want this, it might be worth arranging reshipping - there are loads of companies that do this; it won't be cheap, but there is no reason to go without just because they won't send direct to the US. Get them to send it to a reshipper in Europe who will send it on to you :)

• Like 1

vor 15 Minuten schrieb bodie:

Thanks very much. If US fans really want this, it might be worth arranging reshipping - there are loads of companies that do this; it won't be cheap, but there is no reason to go without just because they won't send direct to the US. Get them to send it to a reshipper in Europe who will send it on to you :)

Next to the shipping (this can be managed as you said) leads back to the question why no US label has managed to rescan the US Universal master and release such a box and a German one could? ?(

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Next to the shipping (this can be managed as you said) leads back to the question why no US label has managed to rescan the US Universal master and release such a box and a German one could? ?(

short answer: money

This was the whole thing back in 2016, Mill Creek (US) who put it out in the US are a budget label. So we've always had our eye on European labels for better options; more discs and better compression.

And Koch (Germany) were always the favourite bet. Until now it's been Elephant (France) with their set from late 2018. But evidently Koch have now come through.

Key issues are, the shipping one above and how much Koch want for their set... looks good, but as with the Elephant, it won't be cheap - which is why Mill Creek do what they do, to sell to a more casual audience.

vor 40 Minuten schrieb bodie:

And Koch (Germany) were always the favourite bet. Until now it's been Elephant (France) with their set from late 2018. But evidently Koch have now come through.

Bodie i suppose you saw the picture quality comparisons i did with the mill creek?
If you want i can give you timecodes and you could provide the exact same screenshots from the Elephant Films.
I think the Pilot Episode and first Part of Calderones Return would be enough to do so that we also have a comparison with the french set.
What do you think? Are you in or out? ;)

BTW:
I think the price will be between 150 and 200 Euros.
They had an AWFUL lot to do with the German DUB because it was in horrible shape. And they had to do a seperate edit of the Episodes so that germans are able to watch the german dubbed version without having English Dialogue in between because of the cuts of the german version back then in television. There are a lot of never dubbed scenes.
So every episode is two times on the discs except only a few that were uncut or could made uncut with alternative VHS dubbings. So every of the affected episodes is two times on the discs. One Uncut and one edited.

Edited by SwissTubbs
  • Thanks 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bodie:

short answer: money

This was the whole thing back in 2016, Mill Creek (US) who put it out in the US are a budget label. So we've always had our eye on European labels for better options; more discs and better compression.

Key issues are, the shipping one above and how much Koch want for their set... looks good, but as with the Elephant, it won't be cheap - which is why Mill Creek do what they do, to sell to a more casual audience.

Was clear to me of course. Forgive me for my rhetoric question :D

We don’t know Koch‘s price yet but even at 150-200 it is still a bargain given the quality you get and compared to pricing of the Elefant set that had mediocre art work and a sub average visual quality (ie big buck at the same effort as Mills Creek).

Given the working hours and love that Koch spent on the details here (I can judge as I was on the sideline at the very end of that process and I have never seen any label that responsive to even tiny last minute corrections and that accurate on details) and the fact that they won’t be selling millions of boxes worldwide I assume that the actual retail price will be more than fair.

Edited by Tom

5 hours ago, SwissTubbs said:

Bodie i suppose you saw the picture quality comparisons i did with the mill creek?
If you want i can give you timecodes and you could provide the exact same screenshots from the Elephant Films.
I think the Pilot Episode and first Part of Calderones Return would be enough to do so that we also have a comparison with the french set.
What do you think? Are you in or out? ;)

BTW:
I think the price will be between 150 and 200 Euros.
They had an AWFUL lot to do with the German DUB because it was in horrible shape. And they had to do a seperate edit of the Episodes so that germans are able to watch the german dubbed version without having English Dialogue in between because of the cuts of the german version back then in television. There are a lot of never dubbed scenes.
So every episode is two times on the discs except only a few that were uncut or could made uncut with alternative VHS dubbings. So every of the affected episodes is two times on the discs. One Uncut and one edited.

Ah, well that second part does make me wonder about the first part - it's not fatter encodes on more discs necessarily then, if they are housing many episodes twice, so yes might be worth looking at the specs compared to the French one. Can you also use bitrateviewer so we can see what the encodes are weighing in at please? So for those two episodes you mentioned and I will match the captures with the French if you give me the timecodes. Also, goes without saying, do capture them losslessly not jpg and host on a site that won't compress them or it won't be accurate - any questions, message me :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Was clear to me of course. Forgive me for my rhetoric question :D

We don’t know Koch‘s price yet but even at 150-200 it is still a bargain given the quality you get and compared to pricing of the Elefant set that had mediocre art work and a sub average visual quality (ie big buck at the same effort as Mills Creek).

Given the working hours and love that Koch spent on the details here (I can judge as I was on the sideline at the very end of that process and I have never seen any label that responsive to even tiny last minute corrections and that accurate on details) and the fact that they won’t be selling millions of boxes worldwide I assume that the actual retail price will be more than fair.

The Elephant were (and until we do the above comparison, are still) the best technical presentation of these masters. But yes, the price comes from the same thing; foreign dubs. And if what we're saying is accurate, it looks like they might want more than the Ꞓ150 Elephant did and if you put the need to reship it on top of that for US fans... it might well be academic what the differences are for all that it makes sense to get it again.

Totally different for German speakers though and that is of course why this is being done and where the market for it is - ditto the French market for Elephant.

I'm in Europe and am mad enough to care about these differences and import things to get original English stereo, better encodes etc, but I don't imagine there are many of us ;)

Edited by bodie
  • Like 3

vor einer Stunde schrieb bodie:

Ah, well that second part does make me wonder about the first part - it's not fatter encodes on more discs necessarily then,

Exactly. They have 6 Episodes on almost every Disc.

Zitat

Can you also use bitrateviewer so we can see what the encodes are weighing in at please? So for those two episodes you mentioned and I will match the captures with the French if you give me the timecodes.

Yes i can use that. But Remember: The Quality of the encoding is MUCH more Important than the bitrate. You can do a dynamic encoding with bitrate only big if needed. HOW you encode is the important part and nof if the average bitrate is higher

Thats the BD Info Scan for "Calderones Return Part 1":

DISC INFO:
	Disc Title:     Miami Vice S1 D02
Disc Size:      49'028'579'479 bytes
Protection:     AACS
BD-Java:        No
BDInfo:         0.5.8
	PLAYLIST REPORT:
	Name:                   00006.MPLS
Length:                 0:48:56.391 (h:m:s.ms)
Size:                   9'500'969'280 bytes
Total Bitrate:          25.88 Mbps
	(*) Indicates included stream hidden by this playlist.
	VIDEO:
	Codec                   Bitrate             Description     
-----                   -------             -----------     
MPEG-4 AVC Video        19994 kbps          1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
	AUDIO:
	Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
DTS-HD Master Audio             German          877 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 877 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps / 16-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         1526 kbps       5.1 / 48 kHz / 1526 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 5.1 / 48 kHz / 768 kbps / 16-bit)
DTS-HD Master Audio             English         813 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 813 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps / 16-bit)
* DTS-HD Master Audio           German          757 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 757 kbps / 16-bit (DTS Core: 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps / 16-bit)
* Dolby Digital Audio           German          224 kbps        2.0 / 48 kHz / 224 kbps
	SUBTITLES:
	Codec                           Language        Bitrate         Description     
-----                           --------        -------         -----------     
Presentation Graphics           German          27.125 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           English         26.153 kbps                     
Presentation Graphics           German          0.001 kbps                  

The Average Bitrate is not that high. But the encoding is very dynamic:

CalderonesReturn1_BitrateChart.JPG.4b320921d78e517d05d09bb2aeb23ff6.JPG

Bitrate goes up when its needed.
And like i said: Its the Quality of the encoding that does the important part.

Look at this Special Compression comparison between the US Mill Creek and the German Koch Blu Ray for Calderone Part 1:

https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison.php?id=6625

The Koch Blu Ray is stable. The Mill Creek is a mess.
And scenes like that are the ones where bad encoding shows the most.

You have a message from me about the Screenshot Comparison with the French Blu Ray.
Thanks for helping with that.

• Thanks 1

If I discover the color patterns of this gorgeous Koch Media set (superb!) are at least (and finally) remotely similar to how the show looked in the '80s, I will buy this MV BD set and will be in pure happiness. 

To those outside Europe (my case, too), there might be a workaround considering Koch media will only ship in Europe. There are a lot of package forwarding services located in Europe, and most will ship worldwide. Of course, that will add additional S&H costs (not to mention Customs taxes, depending on the addressee's country legislation), but it sure can be done. I've used Shipito Austria over a dozen times and Skypax UK occasionally (it all went well). 

PS: Hope also the "love/death" scene  of "By Hooker By Crook" is finally uncut!

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

i think the final price has a lot to do with all the copyrighted audio. i know these things are very, very expensive. and not a lifetime purchase. for example Rockstar simply removed a couple of songs from GTAIV which were included in the game radios. because the licensing renewal was too expensive. and we're talking of a company that made billions with their stuff

vor einer Stunde schrieb ivoryjones:

PS: Hope also the "love/death" scene  of "By Hooker By Crook" is finally uncut!

Sorry but can’t be if you know what happened. Universal cut this scene after the first airing on NBC and after producers already agreed to cuts (they demanded further edits afterwards. Dick Wolf assumed that NBC got complaints from viewers and executed its right for the final cut accordingly after producers rejected to edit the episode after airing). Thus, every airing after that and all Universal masters contained the reduced version. 

Yeah, it's too bad, but back when these edits were made the concept of owning an entire TV series on home video didn't exist and so there was no reason or incentive for studios to keep the original unaltered masters in the hope they might one day get used.

Same thing happened to a bunch of the early James Bond movies - edits in line with censorship of the time were made to the master print and the excised bits basically thrown away, so even though they'd comfortably get away with that stuff now there's simply no option to reinstate it.

The edit of Calderone's death is the one that's always really bothered me in Vice, because it's so obvious.

Edited by Leigh Burne

Koch has announced the price and the sales start date!

179,99 Euro

tomorrow 1st October 8:00 start of sale on their online shop. Shipping will be effected immediately after ordering/payment.

• Thanks 3