Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dadrian:

Does anybody know if the menus have music? Forgive me if that’s already been addressed. 

Yes crocketts Theme is playing in the menus.

Also, has the region code been mentioned? Will I have to get a new Blu Ray player too? (I’m in the US watching on a $50 unit from Target :) ). 

12 hours ago, bodie said:

Thanks, so yeah Ꞓ30 more than the French one. I'm doing that comparison with @SwissTubbs today to look at the differences in the presentation between the two :)

He now has the files and it's really interesting, full comparison on the way. However, if anyone just wants to know my personal opinion, having compared the best at the moment (Elephant France) to the @SwissTubbs shots of the Koch Germany, I'd say without question the colour and encode on the latter are superior. I'm not jumping the gun on the comparison or speaking for anyone, but it goes on sale in a few hours (8am German time) and I'd say absolutely it's the best yet for these masters on home format.

If that means it's actually worth importing on top of an already big price tag is a choice for each of us. But there's no question in my mind, that in and of itself, the technical presentation from Koch is what we've hoped for :cool:

• Like 2

Thanks to bodie we now have a comparison between Elephant Films and the new German Koch Blu Ray:

Pilot Brothers Keeper:
https://slow.pics/c/sab0tNed

Calderones Return Part 1:
https://slow.pics/c/594SbJC7

The Great McCarthy:
https://slow.pics/c/3kc268CI

Bitrate Viewer analysis for Great McCarthy:
BitrateviewMcCarthyKoch.jpg.827c1d58abf943bd666c0ca5bf7412db.jpg

What you can see in this comparisons is that the Picture from the Koch Blu Ray is much more stable compression wise. Look at the second Screenshot from Calderones Return. The Background behind Tubbs has a lot of artifacting going on in the Elephant Blu Ray. But the Koch ist stable and good.
Koch clearly did the best Encoding of those Masters we had so far. And i dont think it will get better.
You can also see that especially on the first picture of the Great McCarthy.
And Colors/Contrast are also better on the Koch.

They did an outstanding job on those dated HD Masters.
INCREDIBLE!
Im so excited that there is finally a Blu Ray Set that gives us the best this Masters can look. For better Universal would have to rescan everything properly.

Thanks to Bodie for the Elephant Shots. Greatly appreciated!

Edited by SwissTubbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Tom am I right to say that “Koch” is pronounced the same as “cook” in English?

I like brownie points :) 

Might be “Coke”.

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

You’ve watched too much Miami Vice, Sir! :) 

LMAO!

Though I think it is pronounced that way actually.

Edited by pahonu

10 hours ago, SwissTubbs said:

Thanks to bodie we now have a comparison between Elephant Films and the new German Koch Blu Ray:

Pilot Brothers Keeper:
https://slow.pics/c/sab0tNed

Calderones Return Part 1:
https://slow.pics/c/594SbJC7

The Great McCarthy:
https://slow.pics/c/3kc268CI

Bitrate Viewer analysis for Great McCarthy:
BitrateviewMcCarthyKoch.jpg.827c1d58abf943bd666c0ca5bf7412db.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 7:56 PM, bodie said:

The bitrates for the Mill Creek episodes, like The Great McCarthy here are around 17000kbps;

NZTLfzAb_o.png

whereas on the Elephant they are around 14000kbps;

pWBWi0Sw_o.png

So there we have it; this is why one needs captures as well as numbers as even though Mill Creek has a higher average bitrate for this episode, their encode was weaker in appearance than the leaner Elephant one.

Whereas Koch have got the best numbers and the best appearance and the original English audio, not just the remix - the killer was the Mill Creek only having the remix as lossless, as well as those blurry sections in the grain.

If you're tempted, Koch's new webstore with their version is live now :tongue:

Edited by bodie
clarification
  • Like 2

The Koch online shop is open: I just managed to order. It´s possible to use one´s Amazon account (Amazon Pay) to order and pay, thus no separate registration and payment details needed to complete the order. Koch offers a free shipping above 30 Euro Order value (at least in my case for shipping from Germany to Austria).

• Like 2

vor 1 Minute schrieb bodie:

So there we have it; this is why one needs captures as well as numbers as even though Mill Creek has a higher average bitrate for this episode, their encode was weaker in appearance than the leaner Elephant one.

Whereas Koch have got the best numbers and the best appearance and the original English audio, not just the remix - the killer was the Mill Creek only having the remix as well as those blurry sections in the grain.

If you're tempted, Koch's new webstore with their version is live now :tongue:

Thanks to @bodie and @SwissTubbs for your efforts and posting this! What a significant difference!

I didn´t expect that the (obvious visual) difference will be represented that significant in the sheer analysis numbers as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks to @bodie and @SwissTubbs for your efforts and posting this! What a significant difference!

I didn´t expect that the (obvious visual) difference will be represented that significant in the sheer analysis numbers as well!

Yeah you get lots of people who just think more data = best picture. But we can see you would have ended up with Mill Creek's thinner encodes on that basis, the actual presentation tells a different story to the numbers. But none of that shows that Koch actually have got more data in the right way, a way that shows on screen in more consistent grain, no holes;

Elephant

EO2oJ3Xm_t.png

Koch by @SwissTubbs

z2598ZG0_t.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

vor 3 Minuten schrieb bodie:

and of course the levels and the colour... basically, it's the best :funky:

I don´t have the detailed know how as you guys, but comparing the amplitudes of all three boxes above gives me the impression that Koch has the most natural distribution and there are significant differences especially in the low amplitude parts. If you have any info how to read the sheer amplitudes above, I would be interested to hear them...

• Like 1

I should clarify, I was posting early in the morning earlier and what I said was misleading as I left it (sleepy head); the US set only has the remix audio as lossless - the stereo is on there, but at 192kbps. I know we've said all that before, but I don't like to post anything that could mislead :birdie:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Did they fix the audio problems for season 1? because my Fabulous Films Blu ray box set has sound problems.

Yes - Elephant have the same fixes Mill Creek issued replacement discs for, as their French product came after the US one they were able to catch it. And now Koch are going further still, moving on again with further improvements :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is this set going to be a limited edition thing or will it be available for a while?

I'm seriously interested in getting it, but I'm in the middle of a house move at the moment and simply can't afford it right now!

1 hour ago, Leigh Burne said:

Is this set going to be a limited edition thing or will it be available for a while?

I'm seriously interested in getting it, but I'm in the middle of a house move at the moment and simply can't afford it right now!

They were asked about this on social media; they said it's first come first served.

As we know, there are only limited quantities of anything - but if they sell out and there is still interest, I'd imagine they'd press some more.

But clearly, nothing is guaranteed - leaving it, you risk it not being around. But it's not a Limited Edition.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Has the region code been listed/discussed?

Will I need a certain Blu Ray player?

It'll be Region B but the crucial issue for you will be if it is locked to B only. You could wait to find that out or buy it and take a risk - the worst that can happen is you need to spend more to get an external drive if you have a good computer or a standalone player if not.

2 hours ago, bodie said:

It'll be Region B but the crucial issue for you will be if it is locked to B only. You could wait to find that out or buy it and take a risk - the worst that can happen is you need to spend more to get an external drive if you have a good computer or a standalone player if not.

Thanks. I don’t watch on a computer, so we’ll see...