• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• LNGLK

• 2morgen

• Pandina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not every environment will support a banana tree. Luckily, places like Florida, or California it can live.In Florida, or California, you can have tropical plants. They take more care than regular plants, (full sun, special nutients, very regular waterings, heat, warm nights, some humidity (or hand spray them) etc.).I'm just learning about this plant, and hope I can keep it alive inside my home. I've heard they can live inside, but they may not produce bananas, just like my Bird of Paradise doesn't produce flowers when inside.I didn't buy it for the bananas, I bought it for the tropical MIAMI VICE looks that a variety of tropical plants can bring to a home.I'm such a fan of MIAMI VICE that I buy my Plants to look like something from MIAMI VICE!!!I'm such a big fan! :thumbsup:

Are you going to have a special room with tropical plants? :DPS. I liked the tree! :clap:

Nope' date=' no special room. I watch MIAMI VICE, and they have them all over the place in homes, so I do the same. I have to make sure that they are in places that get lots of light, so not every place would work.It's a pain to have tropical plants because of the care they need, but it's worth it to me to have a MIAMI VICE looking place (I love MIAMI VICE [u']THAT much!) Glad you like the plant! (So do I ;))

Just went to my local nursery, and got a special fertilizer for it that is high in Nitrogen and Potassium, but not too high in phosphate.It's a slow release granule which only has to be fertilized about every six months (can last as long a 9 months, now were talking!). I hope this plant lives. I don't have a "green thumb", and I have lost plants. I hope this one is can live well without having lots direct sun.

I think you should try a small palm lol

I've had several!Oddly, they all died.I'll try it again sometime, as I think I've learned more info on the subject. :thumbsup:

• Administrators

I haven't tried banana, scared of the tarantulas! :)I have lemon, lime, naval orange, avocado, fig and now grape.Not to mention tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers, Rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley, chive's, and sage.There is nothing like growing your own fruits and vegetables to give you a certain satisfaction. I love watching them grow.

• Administrators

I haven't thought about coconuts. I'll have to look into that one. I love growing fruits and vegetables.So which is it, is a coconut a fruit or a vegetable?No looking it up now! :)

I haven't thought about coconuts. I'll have to look into that one. I love growing fruits and vegetables.So which is it' date=' is a coconut a fruit or a vegetable?No looking it up now! :)[/quote']A fruit. (or is it going to screw me up like a tomato being a fruit and not a veg?)O.K., What's the answer?. (Also guessing I'm wrong just because you asked the question.:))

Beats me! A google search says fruit' date=' vegetable or nut depending on which site you read. :birdie:[/quote']?(?(?( Ohhhhhh kay. :)

Today, the new tree (I bought it yesterday) started to look like it was sweating. Beads of water were on the leaves, and dripping off!I was a bit worried, perhaps it was stressed or something.After some research, it turns out that it's fine.Some plants, like this one, will force water out of the leaves and stalks if it has more water than it can use. I watered it a bunch yesterday and gave it a good soaking, and when I bought fertilizer for it, I watered it again. :oIt's fine, it's just telling me that I need to cut back on my watering.I'm going to listen.

Do they live INSIDE bananas?! ?(

No. :)Big spiders live amoung banana trees in some parts of the world, but they don't live in California. :thumbsup:

How's your tree today?I hope it isn't "crying".I know plants may "cry" if it suddenly became too cold for them. But I don't think it may be cold for a tropical tree where you live

How's your tree today?I hope it isn't "crying".I know plants may "cry" if it suddenly became too cold for them. But I don't think it may be cold for a tropical tree where you live

It has virtually stopped "crying" now (the only beads of water I see now seem to be left over from the other days.I won't water it for a while.The biggest problem is not getting it enough DIRECT sunlight.I'm gambling that it will be enough indirect sunlight for it.