MY NEW BANANA TREE PLANT!

COOPER&BURNETT

I have had a tropical banana tree for many years in my living room now. It needs lots of sunlight, fresh air of more than 20C/69F and high humidity (>50%) over an extended period of time to grow fast and be able to fruit. Under these conditions supported by four plant light bulbs shining 12hrs a day, I managed that it blossomed and bore fruits which taste much better than those in the supermarket. I attach two pics that show you my tree and the fruits.Please note that bananas are no trees and have no trunk like a tree, i.e. the "trunk" consists of leaves bases "glued" to each other to give stiffness and appear like a trunk. So, never hurt the "trunk" as it consists of 80% plant fluid that will run out and the cut may kill the plant. If leaves get dry and spoil, cut them off at the base approx. 5cm from the "trunk" and cover the cut with a material that soaks the fluid fast and stops the "bleeding". The bled-out part will dry and shrink fast.Bananas need lot of water, it is virtually impossible to overwater them, except they have not enough light and cannot grow fast enough to digest the water volume. If they grow (usually in summer 1 big leaf per week!) normally you can water as much as you like.And the best of all: if the tree dies (that happens every time after the fruits are ripe), it will develop a baby plant automatically that gets as big as the father plant in around 3-5 months (under good growing conditions) Hope that helps.Tom

post-12-13892963170845_thumb.jpg

post-12-13892963171044_thumb.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• LNGLK

• 2morgen

• Pandina

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The biggest problem is not getting it enough DIRECT sunlight.I'm gambling that it will be enough indirect sunlight for it.

Why not move it to the window? ?(Or have some special light (like above aquariums with tropical fish)?

I have had a tropical banana tree for many years in my living room now. It needs lots of sunlight' date=' fresh air of more than 20C/69F and high humidity (>50%) over an extended period of time to grow fast and be able to fruit. Under these conditions supported by four plant light bulbs shining 12hrs a day, I managed that it blossomed and bore fruits which taste much better than those in the supermarket. I attach two pics that show you my tree and the fruits.Please note that bananas are no trees and have no trunk like a tree, i.e. the "trunk" consists of leaves bases "glued" to each other to give stiffness and appear like a trunk. So, never hurt the "trunk" as it consists of 80% plant fluid that will run out and the cut may kill the plant. If leaves get dry and spoil, cut them off at the base approx. 5cm from the "trunk" and cover the cut with a material that soaks the fluid fast and stops the "bleeding". The bled-out part will dry and shrink fast.Bananas need lot of water, it is virtually impossible to overwater them, except they have not enough light and cannot grow fast enough to digest the water volume. If they grow (usually in summer 1 big leaf per week!) normally you can water as much as you like.And the best of all: if the tree dies (that happens every time after the fruits are ripe), it will develop a baby plant automatically that gets as big as the father plant in around 3-5 months (under good growing conditions) Hope that helps.Tom[/quote'] It does help!However, as an indoor plant, I don't want to over water it. It has good drainage. I don't intend to have bananas grow on the plant (there are lots of different banana plants out there), but I just want it around for a tropical look. I got the proper fertilizer for it.I'm hoping that it will adapt with a little indirect sunlight like my Bird of Paradise plant which is indoors and doesn't get any direct sunlight.

Why not move it to the window? ?(Or have some special light (like above aquariums with tropical fish)?

I could do that, but it doesn't look good in those places. If it's not in the right place, and plant won't look right in your home.Also, the plant is heavy, (VERY heavy with the ceramic pot it's in) so moving it back and forth is not too easy.

Inglk is right....get a plant dolly.My neighbor gave me 2 small banana plants a few years ago. I planted them outside & they grew to about 10 plants in a couple years, and I had the bananas from them. They get very dirty with dead leaves. Also saw a yellow bird visit them, ( like the song...."high in banana tree") It won't happen in the house though!

Your banan plant looks really great!:thumbsup: What a pity that you won´t get bananas from it. So, you would have something that´s Vice like and healthy!:)

Well, I'm just hoping to keep it alive at this point. :)I pushed it in front of a very big window, and let it sit there all day. The sun was on it for about an hour and a half.I want to get it accustomed to having less, and less light (it's now fall, and winter is coming), but I want to give it a little sun here and there.I hope it lives.

Well' date=' I'm just hoping to keep it alive at this point. :)I pushed it in front of a very big window, and let it sit there all day. The sun was on it for about an hour and a half.I want to get it accustomed to having less, and less light (it's now fall, and winter is coming), but I want to give it a little sun here and there.I hope it lives.[/quote'] If you give him the same care you do your other MV items it should be oke :thumbsup:I think it is very brave that you try If I take a look at a plant it directly dies. ( I just do not have green fingers)

I think it is very brave that you try If I take a look at a plant it directly dies. ( I just do not have green fingers)

:)Well' date=' nothing ventured, nothing gained. So, I decide to try.(YODA said in "The Empire Strikes Back", "Try not. [u']DO, or do not, there is not try.)

I cannot believe how fast these things can grow! :eek:This new growth that you see at the top of the plant, and in the middle was NOT there last night!I looked at it this morning, and there it was. I took these pictures.It has changed again when I returned home. I'm going to keep my eye on it, and perhaps keep taking pictures as this is growing REALLY fast!Eingefügtes Bild

NOT there last night!I looked at it this morning, and there it was. I took these pictures.It has changed again when I returned home.

SPOOKY!!!Could it be a genetically modified banana plant? :)Keep an eye on it, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting an harvest of strawberries!

NOT there last night!I looked at it this morning, and there it was. I took these pictures.It has changed again when I returned home. I'm going to keep my eye on it, and perhaps keep taking pictures as this is growing REALLY fast!

Can you put a photocamera in front of it so that it could make shots at regular periods of time? ?(

Wow' date=' your plant must like the envoirement in your house and the fact that you are taking good care of him/her.[/quote']It's weird, because the three lower leaves are turning brown, so I thought something was wrong. perhaps this is normal for the plant. The upper leaves look great.I placed the plant in front of a very large window, and sunlight hits it for a few hours.The newest leaf growth is wider now! I wonder when it will open. I'll bet in less than a week at this rate!WOW!

SPOOKY!!!Could it be a genetically modified banana plant? :)Keep an eye on it' date=' I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting an harvest of strawberries![/quote']Well, this is OCTOBER, the month of HALLOWEEN, and SHADOW IN THE DARK, so if something spooky does happen, it seems appropriate to happen in this month. :)

By the way' date=' does anybody know if such plants are divided into two groups: male/female ones? ?([/quote']Some are. I know that anise, or a fennel bulb can be either male or female.

Can you put a photocamera in front of it so that it could make shots at regular periods of time? ?(

Nope, I just have a simple digital camera.I can take a new picture every day, and then post all the pictures back to back.

But is your plant male or female? ?(

I dunno.I have a series of photos now. The leaf is almost fully open already!!! It didn't even exist a few days ago!!!!!!I take a photo every morning from the same angle. You'll be suprised on fast this has happened!I'll post the photos to show you!