Episode #25 "Out Where The Buses Don't Run"

Ferrariman

6 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@ViceFanMan “Cask of the Amontillado“ was briefly alluded to by Robbie and myself somewhere in this thread. It’s hard to deny the similarities. 

Awesome...thanks! :D :thumbsup: 

17 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@ViceFanMan “Cask of the Amontillado“ was briefly alluded to by Robbie and myself somewhere in this thread. It’s hard to deny the similarities. 

Different style of show than MV for sure, lol, but in the 4th season of Charlie’s Angels there’s an episode (Toni’s Boys) that is very similar to that Poe story as well. A bad guy takes revenge on the Angels and kidnaps them...walling them up alive in his wine cellar, to always know they were there behind the wall, and he could toast his revenge each time he was in the wine cellar. Of course they escape and catch the killer. ;) It’s been a couple years since I’ve watched “Buses”, though...might have to do that soon. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

about the newspaper: Weldon kidnaps Arcaro, as a cop. but instead of bringing Arcaro to the police station, he brings him to the derelict house. Arcaro doesn't know what's going on. he just thinks he got arrested. so he goes out of the car with his newspaper quietly. then inside the house Weldon ties up Arcaro. then the thing goes bad. Weldon in panic decides to lock up the body inside the wall. the paper is there. he grabs it, and put it fast onto the body. then closes the  wall

about Arcaro bodyguards: it's very easy to bypass them. Weldon was a cop. so he just had to simulate an arrest

about Lang help: Arcaro has done the worst. he wants to hide the body inside the wall. but he's scared to leave the body alone, and that someone could discover it meanwhile. he calls the only pal he trusts in, his cop teammate Lang. saying this is very important, come here fast. Lang responds immediately to his teammate. then on location, Weldon explains to Lang. look i just wanted to discuss with that scum. i pointed my gun at him to scare him, and the bullet came out. i didn't want to kill him. Lang knowing the level of excellency of the cop decides he will help. he goes buy some cement while Weldon stays on location, and keep an eye onto the body. end of the story

nothing really inconceivable there

sorry if i'm becoming boring. but you know when you love, you don't count :)

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

I like your scenario and it's believable to me.  The only thing I question (thought about this last night after I posted my own thoughts, LOL):  Wonder how he contacted Marty, since this was before the era of cell phones or even the 80s car phones (Arcaro disappeared in 1978 or 79)?  I suppose there could have been a pay phone on the corner and Weldon could have left the building long enough to use it.  Or if he knew that Marty was accessible to his 2-way car radio he might have contacted him that way. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

about the newspaper: Weldon kidnaps Arcaro, as a cop. but instead of bringing Arcaro to the police station, he brings him to the derelict house. Arcaro doesn't know what's going on. he just thinks he got arrested. so he goes out of the car with his newspaper quietly. then inside the house Weldon ties up Arcaro. then the thing goes bad. Weldon in panic decides to lock up the body inside the wall. the paper is there. he grabs it, and put it fast onto the body. then closes the  wall

about Arcaro bodyguards: it's very easy to bypass them. Weldon was a cop. so he just had to simulate an arrest

about Lang help: Arcaro has done the worst. he wants to hide the body inside the wall. but he's scared to leave the body alone, and that someone could discover it meanwhile. he calls the only pal he trusts in, his cop teammate Lang. saying this is very important, come here fast. Lang responds immediately to his teammate. then on location, Weldon explains to Lang. look i just wanted to discuss with that scum. i pointed my gun at him to scare him, and the bullet came out. i didn't want to kill him. Lang knowing the level of excellency of the cop decides he will help. he goes buy some cement while Weldon stays on location, and keep an eye onto the body. end of the story

nothing really inconceivable there

sorry if i'm becoming boring. but you know when you love, you don't count :)

Interesting scenario! :thumbsup: It’s hard to exactly know what happened...but Hank can’t simulate an arrest and then then actually take Arcaro to the police station...it would be a false arrest and Weldon would have been prosecuted. He knew that...so after Arcaro got off at the trial, Weldon got a hold of him somehow. Whether he was in the limo waiting for Arcaro to get in, or he lured him to some remote location, or how/where he did it is unknown. We just know he killed Tony and then got Lang to help hide the body...going fully insane and creating this “other reality” so he could try and deal with his life.

14 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

I like your scenario and it's believable to me.  The only thing I question (thought about this last night after I posted my own thoughts, LOL):  Wonder how he contacted Marty, since this was before the era of cell phones or even the 80s car phones (Arcaro disappeared in 1978 or 79)?  I suppose there could have been a pay phone on the corner and Weldon could have left the building long enough to use it.  Or if he knew that Marty was accessible to his 2-way car radio he might have contacted him that way. 

Im old enough to remember before everyone had cell phones. :p There were pay phones at every gas station, mall/store, and many pay phone booths still on street corners. I don’t see Weldon using the police radio to contact Marty, as that could’ve been overheard or even recorded if it had been coming into headquarters. I assume he either used a pay phone, or he actually drove to where Lang was at...Arcaro’s body still in the trunk of whatever vehicle Weldon was in, and got Marty to help him wall Arcaro up in the building. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

36 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

I'm old enough to remember before everyone had cell phones. :p There were pay phones at every gas station, mall/store, and many pay phone booths still on street corners. I don’t see Weldon using the police radio to contact Marty, as that could’ve been overheard or even recorded if it had been coming into headquarters. I assume he either used a pay phone, or he actually drove to where Lang was at...Arcaro’s body still in the trunk of whatever vehicle Weldon was in, and got Marty to help him wall Arcaro up in the building. 

LOL so am I, in fact I'm practically a dinosaur when it comes to cell phones, although I do have one.  You sure don't see pay phones around much any more, but they were everywhere in the 1970s.  Weldon could probably have had a pay phone within a block of anywhere he may have been.

I can't imagine he would have transported Arcaro's body in his own car, though.  Seems like blood or other body fluids would have leaked onto his trunk liner...  While we can't know where or maybe even how he killed Arcaro, I favor him doing it in the building where Arcaro's body was concealed.  Perhaps even at that time the building had been abandoned, since apparently there were never any complaints about odor, etc....  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

LOL so am I, in fact I'm practically a dinosaur when it comes to cell phones, although I do have one.  You sure don't see pay phones around much any more, but they were everywhere in the 1970s.  Weldon could probably have had a pay phone within a block of anywhere he may have been.

I can't imagine he would have transported Arcaro's body in his own car, though.  Seems like blood or other body fluids would have leaked onto his trunk liner...  While we can't know where or maybe even how he killed Arcaro, I favor him doing it in the building where Arcaro's body was concealed.  Perhaps even at that time the building had been abandoned, since apparently there were never any complaints about odor, etc....  

Definitely pay phones everywhere back then...even in the 80s when MV was on, lol! Hank might not have transported the body because of blood or fluids being “seen” in say the trunk...but this was 1979. There was no DNA yet, and if he’d of cleaned out the trunk or had whatever vehicle he used to transport the body destroyed, no one would have been the wiser. But you could very well be right...Weldon could have taken or somehow lured Arcaro to the old building and then killed him there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I consider the part when sonny and rico goes to the arcaro building at the end, so iconic as the pilot in the air tomight part

Yes! Some of the most powerful images of the series, complete with an equally powerful song. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Yes! Some of the most powerful images of the series, complete with an equally powerful song. :thumbsup:

I became a Dire Straits fan after hearing Brothers in Arms and bought several albums. Knopfler's guitar play is excellent. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Calderon said:

I consider the part when sonny and rico goes to the arcaro building at the end, so iconic as the pilot in the air tomight part

I agree. If I wanted to show someone who'd never seen MV an iconic scene, this would be it.

And don't forget how the music, Brothers in Arms, helped make this a classic. 

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

Never heard of that. I doubt that Hopper ever wanted to he on MV as he had this very special perception of his own and everybody else‘s acting skills.

just to illustrate: He directed Hot Spot with DJ in 1990 and said about DJ that he needed to learn him acting and holding a cigarette properly before filming. 

• Like 1

vor 53 Minuten schrieb Bren10:

Interesting as the source for this is Bruce McGill himself. He‘s gotta know.

but he also confirms what I said about Hopper. He declined the role they wrote for him because they did not pay him enough! and he thought he could negotiate. Everybody knew that MV paid the same to all guest stars - 2500 USD. MacGill Said it Right. MV was so hot it did not matter what they paid. He got many other roles including in MacGyver because he was seen on MV.

Hopper was an arrogant guy who thought he is the only good actor on earth.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

He got many other roles including in MacGyver

I remember watching that episode’s original broadcast as a kid. “Jack of Lies” or something?

• 3 months later...

So someone help me out.  This is my all time favorite episode but I have a question.  How did Hank Weldon know there would be a hit at the Ocean Club?  I know he praised Lorraine for giving him answers, but I am still confused. Did I miss something in previous scenes? 

11 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

So someone help me out.  This is my all time favorite episode but I have a question.  How did Hank Weldon know there would be a hit at the Ocean Club?  I know he praised Lorraine for giving him answers, but I am still confused. Did I miss something in previous scenes? 

This is my favorite episode also!  I think the implication is that Hank has never let go of this case and is still following those involved in some manner, but it’s never made clear.  Lorraine is where he has kept all his “investigation” details.  When he provides the information to Crocket, Tubbs, and Castillo at the beginning, he seems to have some new details about the case that he’s uncovered.  They understandably question how he could have gotten this information and discuss whether to believe him.

• Like 3

vor 11 Stunden schrieb Vicefan7777:

Weldon was obsessed with all people around Arcaro and gathered information about them all the time (after he came out of the mental facility around a few months before he met Crockett & Tubbs).

Lorraine was his "communication channel" to the outside world that he used as a cover. Whenever he did not want to reveal where intel is from, he said it was from Lorraine (that was also the name of his ex-wife who filed for divorce when he freaked out). He used the same tactics when a conversation did not go his way - then he started with his funny voices and impersonations.

As for Weldon´s "We have to ask Lorraine": Lorraine was a typical home computer in the mid 80s and not capable of doing anything sophisticated or analysis on its own - any info or intel Lorraine had about Arcaro´s friends had to be entered by Weldon himself. I started computer programming in 1985 and I can tell you the computers back then had less memory and computing power than a garden variety digital watch today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I think he set up the hit himself, or at least had a major hand in making sure it took place. 

Well that is what Crockett and Tubbs might of thought too as Weldon is arrested at the scene of the crime.  Thanks for the input.