NEW! 80'S WAYFARERS ARE BACK!

COOPER&BURNETT

Has anyone checked with an optomotrist' date=' or a place that sells perscription eyewear to see if THEY can order the correct lenses? I mean, what would happen if one of your lenses broke???I'd check with them.[/quote'] I was in Lenscrafters about a week ago, saw the new wayfarers, and they said they could make prescription G15s for the new frames or vintage frames.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Ferrariman

• DefinitelyCrockett

• Philippe

What sucks is that Ray-Ban offers specific models' date=' but you can't customize your own glasses. They just give you models to choose from, and it's near impossible to find lenses anywhere online. Sunglasses Hut, here I come...[/quote']
Has anyone checked with an optomotrist' date=' or a place that sells perscription eyewear to see if THEY can order the correct lenses? I mean, what would happen if one of your lenses broke???I'd check with them.[/quote']
I was in Lenscrafters about a week ago' date=' saw the new wayfarers, and they said they could make prescription G15s for the new frames or vintage frames.[/quote']What about NON perscription g-15 lenses?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the info! In Germany they're called "Original Wayfarer". Guess I'm gonna get me a pair for summer.. :cool:

WORTH EVERY PENNY! :thumbsup::clap:

• 4 months later...
Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildI'm thinking about getting a pair of light tortoise also as a back up, and because Crockett wore light tortoise shell in Vice. If I get it, not sure if I'll leave the lenses intact, or have the grey green lenses installed.

So is there light tortoise and tortoise, or are they one and the same?Those ones above look really nice. I haven't ordered any yet - think I'll wait and order more than one pair. Looking at these:http://www.discountshadesdirect.com/ray-ban-2140-sunglasses-color-902-tortoise-crystal-green.htmlandhttp://www.discountshadesdirect.com/ray-ban-2140-sunglasses-color-90158-black-crystal-green-polarized.html

Yes, the tortoise, and the light tortoise are two different shades. The darker tortoise (the one I have) is on the first page, and the picture above is the light tortoise. Crockett actually wore the light tortoise (in the 80's there were either black or tortoise, there wasn't a dark, or light tortoise, just "tortoise"). You should get one! (or two ;))

Yes' date=' the tortoise, and the light tortoise are two different shades. The darker tortoise (the one I have) is on the first page, and the picture above is the light tortoise. Crockett actually wore the light tortoise (in the 80's there were either black or tortoise, there wasn't a dark, or light tortoise, just "tortoise"). You should get one! (or two ;))[/quote']Ah yes, now I can see the difference by looking at those side by side photos you have on the 1st page. :thumbsup:Now that the Aussie dollar has gone past parity with the US dollar, I am definitely getting some - hopefully more than one pair. And you've thrown another option in the works Coop ;) Hmmm...decisions decisions.....

• Administrators

One thing I have noticed that I don't like. It's not bad enough that they have to write Ray Ban on the lense but now the polarized ones have Ray Ban P on the lense! That helped make my decision to skip the polarized version!

One thing I have noticed that I don't like. It's not bad enough that they have to write Ray Ban on the lense but now the polarized ones have Ray Ban P on the lense! That helped make my decision to skip the polarized version!

The PRICE is what made me skip the polarized versions. :rolleyes::eek::p

I was on the German Ray Ban page. I think the Wayfarer there is listed as RB4105 - 601 | WAYFARER FOLDING. Hmmmm have to order it, to see if this is the 80's Wayfarer. :)Oh there's the original one as well: RB2140 - 954 | ORIGINAL WAYFARER

Oh that's annoying. Yeah maybe I'll give them a miss as well.

I was on the German Ray Ban page. I think the Wayfarer there is listed as RB4105 - 601 | WAYFARER FOLDING. Hmmmm have to order it' date=' to see if this is the 80's Wayfarer. :)Oh there's the original one as well: RB2140 - 954 | ORIGINAL WAYFARER[/quote']I think it's the "Original Wayfarer" that's like the 80s one - the RB2140 model.I don't know if the names are different in different countries, but the model numbers should be the same.

Luckily' date=' Crockett got his issued for free by the vice department. :cool:[/quote']Good point. :)

Oh that's annoying. Yeah maybe I'll give them a miss as well.

I'd pass on the polarized versions, but don't pass on the wayfarers themselves. Again, check page one, these are the same as the original 80's versions, made better, with some updates like the wordingon the sides. When you wear them, you won't care. :thumbsup:

I'd pass on the polarized versions' date=' but don't pass on the wayfarers themselves. Again, check page one, these are the same as the original 80's versions, made better, with some updates like the wordingon the sides. When you wear them, you won't care. :thumbsup:[/quote']Yep I'll definitely be getting at least 1 pair! Just maybe not the polarised ones - the price isn't too bad (about another 40-ish dollars than the regular ones), but I forgot about that annoying writing on the lens! Still deciding though! I am constantly seeing people wearing them (on TV, in photos etc) & they look so awesome on pretty much everyone, so can't wait to get mine!! :D

Luckily' date=' Crockett got his issued for free by the vice department. :cool:[/quote'] LOL :) Have the prices of Ray Bans generally gone down since the 80s/90s? Because I remember when I bought my Ray Ban Bohemians in 97, it was a big deal (being a university student & only working part time) & they weren't cheap - I think I paid close to $300. But the prices seem more affordable now - like $115 USD for a pair of Wayfarers is pretty good I think.

I think it's the "Original Wayfarer" that's like the 80s one - the RB2140 model.I don't know if the names are different in different countries' date=' but the model numbers should be the same.[/quote']Think so too. So I will take a look at it. :)

LOL :) Have the prices of Ray Bans generally gone down since the 80s/90s? Because I remember when I bought my Ray Ban Bohemians in 97' date=' it was a big deal (being a university student & only working part time) & they weren't cheap - I think I paid close to $300. But the prices seem more affordable now - like $115 USD for a pair of Wayfarers is pretty good I think.[/quote']The actual ray ban wayfarers in the 80s that Don Johnson wore on the show retailed $42.00 U.S.. I had to have them (still have mine), but $42.00 was a lot of money for me in 1984/5. Wish they cost that now. :) Ahh hell, the new ones are worth what I paid. :thumbsup:

The actual ray ban wayfarers in the 80s that Don Johnson wore on the show retailed $42.00 U.S.. I had to have them (still have mine)' date=' but $42.00 was a lot of money for me in 1984/5. Wish they cost that now. :) Ahh hell, the new ones are worth what I paid. :thumbsup:[/quote']Wow! Yes affordable now, but in the 80s perhaps not. I'm sure they are worth every cent!