• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Ferrariman

• DefinitelyCrockett

• Philippe

Did I ever tell the unfortunate tale of my first imitation Wayfarers? In the '80s, I was with my mom at Value City. I wasn't sure which were the "Crockett shades" among many others on the rotating stand.Me: "But, Mom! I want shades. Don't they have any shades?!"Mom: "Just a minute, Son. Ma'am, we're looking for shades." Me: "Mom - don't. Nooooooooooooooooo..."Mom, to clerk: "Do you know where you have any shades for sale?" [she made sure to put extra emphasis on the word "shades" with an extra long "a" in there so there could be no mistaking what we wanted.]Clerk: "Ma'am, 'shades' just refers to any kind of sunglasses."Mom, to me: "The clerk says all sunglasses are shades."Me: "Somebody please kill me now." It was decidedly the most uncool moment of my life.

shades. Don't they have any shades?!"Mom: "Just a minute, Son. Ma'am, we're looking for shades." Me: "Mom - don't. Nooooooooooooooooo..."Mom, to clerk: "Do you know where you have any shades for sale?" [she made sure to put extra emphasis on the word "shades" with an extra long "a" in there so there could be no mistaking what we wanted.]Clerk: "Ma'am, 'shades' just refers to any kind of sunglasses."Mom, to me: "The clerk says all sunglasses are shades."Me: "Somebody please kill me now." It was decidedly the most uncool moment of my life.

You should have said, "That was uncool lady. ....THAT WAS MAJOR UNCOOL!"

Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Today, I decided to go for it. I decided to get one of these lighter shade Wayfarers (same color as the original 80's version, and the color Crockett wore) so I bought them today. :cool::thumbsup:They actually have a Limited Elite Edition of these sunglasses with g-15 green/ grey lenses like the 80's versions (the ones I bought, and are shown in the above pictures only come with....brown lenses. :thumbsdown:) but the strange thing is that the Elite Editions have the tortoise frame, but come with black arms! Yep, g-15 lenses in a tortoise frame with black arms. And it's in the $150.00 range I believe. :evil:The one I just bought, and the one in the above photo is not usually found in U.S. stores. The lighter shade ones usually have to be imported from Europe.

Should be getting mine in the mail today!http://www.georgiashades.com/pd_rayban_2140.cfm

WOW! What a great price! I can't believe you got it for that price. My dark tortoise (which is gorgeous) wayfarers were purchased at Macy's. I threw the reciept away, but it was costly. ($150.00 according to page one)Hopefully, I'll have my light tortoise wayfarers sometime late next week if I'm lucky.Lou, your gonna LOVE your new shades!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:Post here when you get them and tell us what you think.

• Administrators

Got them today Coop! Very cool! :thumbsup: I now own Wayfarer II, the "new" wayfarer and now the originals. Why they ever changed from the original style is beyond me?! :confused:

Got them today Coop! Very cool! :thumbsup: I now own Wayfarer II' date=' the "new" wayfarer and now the originals. Why they ever changed from the original style is beyond me?! :confused:[/quote']I'm with you. I have no idea why they would change the 80's originals for other models. The 80's models have raked lenses in the frames, which gives is a real cool, mysterious look. So.......how do you like the color, and how do you like the fit?Are they FERRARIMAN approved?

• Administrators

Color was darker than I expected but I like it! They look great in the sun. Fit is snug but good! Was gonna go for the 54mm lenses but was afraid they might not look right for some reason. Bottom line is they get 2 thumbs waaay up from the F-man! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Color was darker than I expected but I like it! They look great in the sun. Fit is snug but good! Was gonna go for the 54mm lenses but was afraid they might not look right for some reason. Bottom line is they get 2 thumbs waaay up from the F-man! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The color is like halfway between tortoise and black. Very nice color actually. I decided to get the light tortoise too so I can have a choice of both. (I most likely will prefer the color we both have actually' date=' it's such a great color!) ....And that would be two thumbs waaay up from Coop as well! :thumbsup::thumbsup:That's a whopping total of 4 thumbs waaay up from us both. 'nough said. MIAMI VICE and Classic Ray Ban Wayfarers rule!

MIAMI VICE and Classic Ray Ban Wayfarers rule!

Well, I got my (Not sold in the U.S.) light tortoise wayfarers today, and of course, I love 'em. And, like I said in my above posting, I most likely will wear my darker tortoise pair more often. Mostly because I don't care for the brown lenses. I'm really not used to having brown lenses. Everything looks..........brown (brown's not an authorized MIAMI VICE color). I have always had the G-15 green/grey lenses in my raybans all the way back to the 80's. Now that I have the same shade of color wayfarers that were available in the 80's, and the color Crockett wore on the show, I'm thinking about possibly having the lenses changed to the grey/green g-15 lenses. I was told by a friend that most places cannot change the lenses of rayban wayfarer glasses, as it's either a different process, or they don't have a way to do it. Sending it to ray ban is the only way to do it. I think that is incorrect, and I'll bet other specialty places can do it too. I dunno.....I'll try them out. Perhaps the brown lenses aren't too bad. We'll see....Anyway, I got the light tortoise wayfarers (not sold in the U.S.), and I like them very much!!RAY BAN WAYFARERS AND MIAMI VICE ROCK!!

yeah, was it hard to remove? Did it damage the glass at all? Those look great! Most importantly, do you look and feel cool wearing them? I see a lot of people sporting the style now, whether knock off or the genuine article.

• Administrators

It wasn't really hard at all. I tried it on an older pair first. Believe it or not I removed it with a little spit for lubrication and by very gently scraping it with an exacto knife. Whatever they used is definitely raised on the lens and comes off very easily. Not a single scratch on the lens!As for the "coolness" factor, I've been wearing Ray Bans for years but this is my first pair with the original look. Yes they are cool! :thumbsup:

It wasn't really hard at all. I tried it on an older pair first. Believe it or not I removed it with a little spit for lubrication and by very gently scraping it with an exacto knife. Whatever they used is definitely raised on the lens and comes off very easily. Not a single scratch on the lens!As for the "coolness" factor' date=' I've been wearing Ray Bans for years but this is my first pair with the original look. Yes they are cool! :thumbsup:[/quote']How funny! No, I didn't take the logo off, but this morning, when I was wearing the new lighter tortoise frames, I started looking at the logo, and then put the shades back on, and noticed that they are virtually invisible when wearing them.However, with my newest wayfarers, ....I tried, and HATE the brown lenses. Green/grey is the only way to go. I commend you for removing them, but you did take a chance in scratching them, as they certainly can scratch. I wonder if putting turpentine on it would disolve it, or make the logo easier to remove?It certainly looks good without the logo (I know that was a pet peeve of yours. Now, remove the logos on the side!).I'm going to look into places around the city and see if they can replace the brown lenses in wayfarers.MAN, I LOVE MY WAYFARER SUNGLASSES!!

• Administrators

I was concerned with scratching them too so I tried it on my old pair first and it was very easy. You would never know it was ever there! I had considered trying nail polish remover or something similar but I was afraid that any type of chemical might stain or dull the lense. The side logos are totally different as you know. A bit more raised. Definitely not taking a chance with them!

I was concerned with scratching them too so I tried it on my old pair first and it was very easy. You would never know it was ever there! I was afraid that any type of chemical might stain or dull the lense.

That too would have been a concern of mine. The lense optics are first rate, I'm glad it worked out for you!You know something Ferrariman.......you have a real nice pair of shades! :thumbsup:

Sorry guys if this is a dumb question, The so called Wayfarer I is the classic 80's one?And the Wayfarer II ist the new style they brought out after the 80's?

Sorry guys if this is a dumb question' date=' The so called Wayfarer I is the classic 80's one?And the Wayfarer II ist the new style they brought out after the 80's?[/quote']I'm not an expert on wayfarer sunglasses, so I don't know about Wayfarer I being from the 80's, as wayfarers have existed for decades, just in different forms, so I'd say the answer is no.Wayfarer II is definately not the 80's version but one that was created after the 80's style. Perhaps in the 90's?Here's an article I posted about the history of ray ban wayfarers.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?2860-RAY-BAN-WAYFARER-HISTORY&highlight=wayfarers

Wayfarer II is a larger style. It is a taller lens, and slightly wider. You can see them In Miami Vice actually. The lady that Crockett talks to on the steps in 'Stone's war' just after the car chase scene is wearing some with rose lenses. At least I'm pretty sure they're Wayfarer II. They are taller, and have a more rounded bottom and outer edge. You can make good comparisons on Ebay. In my opinion, Wayfarer II is a less refined look, even though they came later. I own a pair, and they're okay, but they don't compare to my 5024s. Here, I took a few pics... Sorry about the dust. The Wayfarer II is the big guy, not it's a touch narrower across the front than the 5024(24mm bridge wayfarer, Crockett wore 22mm)Eingefügtes Bild

• Administrators
Eingefügtes BildNot the greatest picture but:From left to right: Wayfarers (this is what they sell now as original Wayfarers and are probably what you refer to as Wayarer 1)Middle are Wayfarer II with a much larger lense. On the right is what is referred to as the new Wayfarer which was the newest version until now. Much like the Wayfarer II but shorter top to bottom. Hope this helps.Yes I removed the logo from all 3 pairs. ;)

I may have to show a picture of the 80's tortoise, today's classic dark tortoise, and today's classic light wayfarer next to each other. (I'd have shown the other newer model tortoise wayfarer that was shown in this thread that I bought a few years ago, but some alpha hotel stole it from my car one night. :evil::thumbsdown:)