• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• COOPER&BURNETT

• Ferrariman

• DefinitelyCrockett

• Philippe

No offense but I'll keep my shades! ;)

Can't say I'd blame you. The shades are worth more. :)

Well, I checked with several places around town to replace my brown lenses in the light tortoise frames, and they can make plastic tinted copies close to the original lenses, but making them are very expensive, even without a perscription. (I could be wrong, but I think I was quoted about $90.00 for a custom made lense close to a G-15 lense in plastic.I could have had them done that way, and have them today. But good things come to those who wait, so, I decided to do it the right way.Knowing me, I decided the best thing to do was to just buy an actual pair of G-15 rayban lenses (for $49.00). It's cheaper, and they are the real deal. They are being shipped directly from Italy. When they arrive at my home in about 10 days, I'll just bring them in to be changed out. Can't wait for the results! :thumbsup:

Well' date=' I checked with several places around town to replace my brown lenses in the light tortoise frames, and they can make plastic tinted copies close to the original lenses, but making them are very expensive, even without a perscription. (I could be wrong, but I think I was quoted about $90.00 for a custom made lense close to a G-15 lense in plastic.I could have had them done that way, and have them today. But good things come to those who wait, so, I decided to do it the right way.Knowing me, I decided the best thing to do was to just buy an actual pair of G-15 rayban lenses (for $49.00). It's cheaper, and they are the real deal. They are being shipped directly from Italy. When they arrive at my home in about 10 days, I'll just bring them in to be changed out. Can't wait for the results! :thumbsup:[/quote'] The company that I bought the lenses from gave me a courtesy call telling me that usually they have these lenses in stock, but the wayfarers are so popular now (good news!) that they sold out again, and that they had to order them from Italy, and it could take anywhere from 5 - 20 days to get to me.Glad I have a pair of wayfarers to wear in the meantime. ....always have a back up. :thumbsup:

I just bought a pair of used/vintage Wayfarer 5024 in Tortoise/green. I hope they get here fast. I'll post pics when they do.

• Administrators
i cant remember asking you' date='but hey anyway....and it goes on and on[/quote'] You didn't, it was a joke....or a failed attempt at one I guess

I just bought a pair of used/vintage Wayfarer 5024 in Tortoise/green. I hope they get here fast. I'll post pics when they do.

Please do! Can't get enough of them thar wayfarers! :thumbsup:

Great shades! Notice anything missing?!Eingefügtes Bild

Well Ferrariman, I decided to do what you did by practicing scraping off the logo on the lense with the lenses that are going to be replaced in the light tortoise shell frames. I then did it to the other wayfarers, and just like you said, it didn't scratch the lenses!You know I think It may be possible to replace the side rayban logos with the metal holder from the front frames. I'd have a pro do it though.

• Administrators

It was easier than you thought right?! and much better looking! :thumbsup:

It was easier than you thought right?! and much better looking! :thumbsup:

You were right! It was easier than I thought' date=' and it DOES look better, like Vintage 80's wayfarers! :clap:I LOVE MY WAYFARER SUNGLASSES! :thumbsup:

Guess what guess what??!!I ordered my first pair of Wayfarers today!!! :dance2: :dance2:I got the tortoise frame with grey/green lens. Should get them next week! I am noticing these on everyone all of a sudden and am envious, so I had to give in and order a pair! I'm so excited that I'm going to have same sunnies that Crockett had! :happy: I'm going to be as cool as Crockett lol!! :)

Guest myonlyvice

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm surprised there's so much enthusiasm about these new Original Wayfarers. I made the mistake of buying a pair so I speak from experience. The shape may be identical to the vintage ones but that is where the similarity ends. The "tortoise" color is way, way darker than Crockett's pair. They appear almost black in all but the brightest light. Plus, having "Ray Ban" written on the lens and on both ear pieces is complete overkill. It looks ridiculous. Is it really necessary to project to people facing you as well as those standing to the left and right that "Yes, indeed! This is a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses!!" The shape of the frame alone should speak for itself. I would encourage everyone who reads this to not waste your money on these cheap imitations and do the work necessary to track down a vintage pair. This is what I did and, having both side by side, I can tell you there is NO comparison. Google "vintage sunglasses" and let your quest for the real thing begin. It's well worth the effort.

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm surprised there's so much enthusiasm about these new Original Wayfarers. I made the mistake of buying a pair so I speak from experience. The shape may be identical to the vintage ones but that is where the similarity ends. The "tortoise" color is way' date=' way darker than Crockett's pair. They appear almost black in all but the brightest light. Plus, having "Ray Ban" written on the lens and on both ear pieces is complete overkill. It looks ridiculous. Is it really necessary to project to people facing you as well as those standing to the left and right that "Yes, indeed! This is a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses!!" The shape of the frame alone should speak for itself. I would encourage everyone who reads this to not waste your money on these cheap imitations and do the work necessary to track down a vintage pair. This is what I did and, having both side by side, I can tell you there is NO comparison. Google "vintage sunglasses" and let your quest for the real thing begin. It's well worth the effort.[/quote']Thanks for the advice, I'll be on the lookout for the vintage ones. I'm also trying to get my hands on those Carrera 5512 but it's not an easy task. Plus I wouldn't want to get them fake repros which makes it all more difficult (same problem with the fake ray bans circulating on the net).

• Administrators
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm surprised there's so much enthusiasm about these new Original Wayfarers. I made the mistake of buying a pair so I speak from experience. The shape may be identical to the vintage ones but that is where the similarity ends. The "tortoise" color is way' date=' way darker than Crockett's pair. They appear almost black in all but the brightest light. Plus, having "Ray Ban" written on the lens and on both ear pieces is complete overkill. It looks ridiculous. Is it really necessary to project to people facing you as well as those standing to the left and right that "Yes, indeed! This is a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses!!" The shape of the frame alone should speak for itself. I would encourage everyone who reads this to not waste your money on these cheap imitations and do the work necessary to track down a vintage pair. This is what I did and, having both side by side, I can tell you there is NO comparison. Google "vintage sunglasses" and let your quest for the real thing begin. It's well worth the effort.[/quote']The comparison would be price. Ask Coop what he paid for his vintage pair. Don't know about you but I can't afford them. There's nothing wrong with the new ones and they do make them with light tortoise frames too.

I know about the tortoise on these new originals is darker & honestly I prefer it to be that way for me. Light tortoise does not suit me.As long as the shape is pretty much the same, I'm fine.

The comparison would be price. Ask Coop what he paid for his vintage pair. Don't know about you but I can't afford them. There's nothing wrong with the new ones and they do make them with light tortoise frames too.

Exactly - getting a vintage pair is not realistically possible for everyone.If I were to spend a lot of money on a vintage pair, I wouldn't wear them in case I lost or damaged them.

I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm surprised there's so much enthusiasm about these new Original Wayfarers. I made the mistake of buying a pair so I speak from experience. The shape may be identical to the vintage ones but that is where the similarity ends. The "tortoise" color is way' date=' way darker than Crockett's pair. They appear almost black in all but the brightest light. Plus, having "Ray Ban" written on the lens and on both ear pieces is complete overkill. It looks ridiculous. Is it really necessary to project to people facing you as well as those standing to the left and right that "Yes, indeed! This is a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses!!" The shape of the frame alone should speak for itself. I would encourage everyone who reads this to not waste your money on these cheap imitations and do the work necessary to track down a vintage pair. This is what I did and, having both side by side, I can tell you there is NO comparison. Google "vintage sunglasses" and let your quest for the real thing begin. It's well worth the effort.[/quote']I disagree.Here's why...1. It does have a lot of "ray ban" logos on it, but it's not that big of a deal. As Ferrariman explained, and I did it also, the rayban on the lense can easily be scraped off without scratching the lense. Gone.2. The size and shape is identical from the vintage 80's version, but made with MUCH better material that doesn't fade from long usage like the original 80's versions.3. They also make Light tortoise wayfarers. They are the same color that Crockett wore if you don't like the darker tortoise. I bought actual replacement ray ban G-15 grey/green lenses that will be installed in the light tortoise frames.4. If you hate the ray ban logo on the temples, you can have them removed, and replaced with the same metal that they used in the 80's if it really bothers you. You have every right to not like your ray bans, that's a personal choice, but the majority of members here will absolutely love them!I don't only recommend them.... I HIGHLY recommend them!

myonlyvice has every right to his opinion. We all do. Not everyone likes everything. I too love my vintage pair of wayfarers, but I just think they are inferior in quality, but superior in looks.As long as we all love ray ban wayfarers, no matter what vintage, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:LONG LIVE RAY BAN WAYFARERS!

Guest myonlyvice

The comparison would be price. Ask Coop what he paid for his vintage pair. Don't know about you but I can't afford them. There's nothing wrong with the new ones and they do make them with light tortoise frames too.

I'm familiar with the prices of the new ones, at least from when I purchased mine. I bought mine from the Ray Ban website and they were $145- not at all cheap. If you want the polarized versions you will pay $195. I would have gotten polarized but I did not like the color of the lenses (brown). :thumbsdown: If you do your research, you will find authentic, vintage Ray Bans in great condition that don't cost much more than the polarized version of the new ones. As far as I'm concerned, nothing can hold a candle to the vintage ones. I saw C&B mention he found the quality better in the new ones. I guess it's possible. But heck, mine are what, 25-30 years old and they look FANTASTIC. Trust me, I would not have bought them if they looked even a little worn out. Besides, most people here are interested in Wayfarers because of Miami Vice. I doubt folks here would be as enthusiastic about them if it weren't for Vice. (I don't think I would be at any rate.) So why wouldn't we want to get our hands on ones like you see in the show, if possible? If people are going to go to all the trouble to remove this and that, ostensibly to make them more like those of the show, why not just get a pair like those on the show to begin with? After you take into consideration the cost of the (new version) sunglasses, plus the cost of any alterations you make to them, not to mention the risk you run in damaging them through altering them, you're probably better off going with the originals. I'm telling everybody here: authentic, affordable, vintage Bausch & Lomb Wayfarer sunglasses in great condition, just like the ones Sonny wore, are eminently available. This is great news!! :balloon: When I ordered the new, Luxottica-maufactured ones there was no light tortoise available. If they have introduced this color, and apparently they have, you still have to live with all the designer accoutrements, which I can't stand. Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby. You don't want some "cheap jack conversion", as Evan Freed would say. :)But listen, if there are those here who are happy with the Luxottica version, why should that bother me? Live and let live, man. I just wanted to get the word out to all those interested in authenticity that this is one of the few aspects of Vice fashion that an average person can still faithfully reproduce. Take advantage now because, like land, they aren't making any more of it. They are still out there now but I doubt our grandkids will be able to say the same.

Here's a side by side shot of the U.S. version dark tortoise shell frames, and the non U.S. version light tortoise shell frames.Eingefügtes Bild

And here's a side by side shot of a vintage 80's tortoise shell frames next to a new classic non U.S. version lighter tortoise shell frames.Eingefügtes Bild