My plans for my Daytona replica

Kavinsky

Thanks it did but its also part of a long term project I've been thinking about for nearly 10 years and it just so happens that the MV daytona replica clicked off all of the little boxes I had as requirmentsyou see I've always wanted to have a long lasting old school performance car with no performance aids like ABS or traction control that can be infinitely rebuilt and last as long as some of the 30 year old Porsche 911's have. Which actually with regular maintenance and no engine rebuilds can sometimes reach and last upwards of 300,000 miles, provided there garaged and the problems that arise are delt with when they pop up then and not latter. hence why I've paid keen attention to little things like changing the transmission oil and other minor things that you wouldnt normally think of in my daytona guide I wrote up for Sonny awhile back.and the natural choice over the 911 is the Corvette as the engine isnt in a place where if it started skidding I'd go up in a tree if I got careless which is actually happened to one of my fathers co workers in germany during the 1960's which caused his buddy to spend 6 months in hospital because of it and that was the test drive for christ sakes and its still happening to this day with modern 911's even with all of those electronical aids on them:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ReYO4O69o

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=icELh69gSWk

and actually that was Thee reason why my father went with this

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad2qOUUSHTY

With its 4 cylinder engine in the middle of the car infront of the rear axel like on the testarossa and two nicely sized trunks, mind you the 914/6 was much more my style with the wheel arches and the porsche badges on it, plus the 911's 6 much like the modern Boxster/Caymen which is by far the only modern porsche I'd maybe consider owningand he took the 914 over a white 1967/ 68 911 targa similar to this one with a black interior and please excuse the vampire driving it

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDdOmH4-FhU

as he had test driven one of the early 911's and the damn thing while going around a long bend at 40 mph started to slide on him, mind you they did rectify this problem somewhat with wider tires in the 1970's but still he wasnt even really pushing the thing.hence why I thought of going with a vette for this project over the 911 for these basic reasonsA. the engine isnt so far back that it could shift the weight of the car and cause it go sliding into a tree, as even when the Daytona in the show lost traction Don still had good control over the skid and those two skidouts in the second season were caused by the pedal under the dash, not the actual car skiding out from underneath him in both "Buddies" and "Florence Italy" since they were way too similar to be caused by sheer accident.At 2:17

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzDDTPz9XY

and here again at 1:30http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16yfo_deux-flics-a-miami-daytona-replica_autoand its just too similar to be an accident so chances are that pedal disconnects the transmission and allows it to skid backwards without damaging the running gear since you need a clutch to do that which is something an auto just doesnt have, plus it also locks up one of the rear wheels to spin it around like that for a safely controled spin at about 20 - 40 mph.Plus look at just how planted the 81 vette is in the Junkman

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljuTn4u6_Ts

vs the MV Daytona with its stock suspension

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRttD1NX-6E

so it seems kind of weird that it would even snap out like that on such a big corner and just AFTER going over that frozen fish he drives over in Buddies.B. just enough horsepower to be a true sports car but not enough to actually kill me, unless I drop a 427 in it or go the grand sport route and put in a bored out 327 producing 425 horsepower in it.C. it handles well enough with a stock suspension and has proper all around disc brakes and a dual master brake system incase one part of the system fails and unlike the muscle cars of the era when the car came out it could actually stop without careening out of control:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjI95ynY4k

D. the mileage of the 350 is about 15 - 20 mpg provided you dont get it above 3,000 rpm and maybe even abit better, regardless of the model year and a post 1971 model uses 89 octane, abit on the expensive side but not to the point of insanity and thats WITHOUT a lead additvie.E. the L82 engine can easily be tuned up to do about 300 some horsepower with simple changes to the engine, which is why I think the engine in the daytona was switched out as the L82 engine was removed from the corvette line just before 1981 and with a few minor part changes like it had it goes from about 220 hp to about roughly 250+ without a turbo like it had when markadian was done with itF: the tub and frame of the C3 corvette is so strong that the car in its convertibile forum didnt need any bracing to strengthen the chasis, probably due to the fiberglass construction of the body.G: the engine and suspension can be tuned and modified exactly to the way anyone wants, from a base road car good for crusing to a high speed monster like this car:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5hMpVJK89s

H. the daytona replica has two storage spaces, one directly behind the driver and passenger seats and a proper trunk, which the actual vette lacks and a proper glove box on the latter models like the one on the show unlike this 74'

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_eFsjuaQHs

I: I found out that you can actually get a fully functioning modern remote entry system installed for the thing so your not fiddling around with the damn keys all the time trying to open the doors or the trunk, and ditto with the antenna at the back where someone actually makes a more reliabile model that only pops up when your tuning the radio and goes back down when your not, basically removing one of the annoying hassles of driving an old car on both counts, mind you its not that much of a big deal J: A Carb called the Quadrajet that actually adjuststs its choke to the temperature in the air and supposedly needs very little tuning and is a smaller 4 barrel carb that only uses 2 of the smaller barrels at 50% throttle and then turns on the other two when needed providing better gas mileage than a plan old big 4 barreled holley K: with the exception of the dash for the most part you can find any part you need as people are still making parts for the C3 corvette up to this day and even the latest model is now a 30 year old car and thus exempt from modern emission laws.L: Its Infinitely customizable and if the C7 corvette is anything like the concepts they've shown any and all C3 - C6 corvettes are going to be collector pieces and go up in value as I think a blind man or Chris Bangler had a hand in desiging the new Corvette.

and basically besides my own aesthetic ideas and tastes with all of the minor details the single bigest change I'm going to do with mine over the show car is a manual transmition since what Leno, the guys who testdrove the testarossa and the corvette guys told me over at the corvette forums is that if you buy a performance car and you want to get involved with a car you should go with a proper manual box

and honestly after seeing the testarossa in action in stones war I fully agree

as it just seems so much more fun that an automatic like the daytona on the show was although they did try shifiting it for one episode, but you cant downshift with an auto, not unless you want to damage the box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h_8t-3Yh1A

and provided the clutch isnt so heavy that you break your ankle on it and it doesnt require a ton of effort to move the gear box leaver like on the testarossa in the show or the lamborghini countach it should be fun to drive

as you can actually hear Don missing gears on the testarossa on occasion throught the third season because of the heavy clutch, heavy gearshift leaver (on the latter revision of the testarsossa they did finally fix that with new ball bearings to ease gearshifting effort) and no power steeringlike here at 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQcjzx3sy8

and here at 4:49, complete with grimacing too

although he seems to have it down by the last episode at 4:46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Z2VU-HAQs&feature=related

but I do want to sort of manhandle the car somewhat so I might consider perhaps removing the power steering unit to give me more road feel and make it more sort of italian like since all true italian cars from the 1960's on until the 1990's typically didnt have any power steering because the power steering of yesteryear lacked precision and road feel or at the very least have it rigged up as a low speed asist so I can move the thing easily at sub 30 mph speeds.and I forgot one other thing, the top is easy to get up. rip the tonau cover off and pull the top up and snap in two places. Simple unlike on cars like the lamborghini murcielago roadster that came out awhile ago, but I am thinking of perhaps going with a different kind of fabric or something that would be tough for someone to get through with a knife, although I do already have a few anti theft Ideas thought up for that, although with the wire wheels I'd probably just have to be careful unless I want them to be drilled and tapped.and also I do want to have some sort of a full sized spare for the thing, along with a fire extinguisher (it is a carbed car after all and a battery disconect along with it, although regardless I've even seen fuel injected cars on fire next to the side of the road so if its old carry a fire extinguisher just incase.) and the proper tools for pretty much any situation

as it just seems so much more fun that an automatic like the daytona on the show was although they did try shifiting it for one episode' date=' but you cant downshift with an auto, not unless you want to damage the box[/quote']Just one observation, which is probably generational. I drive my car around town, and love to max it out on the streets. Out on the freeway, where top end matters, the manual shift might be good. For me, I can down shift the automatic and still get the effect I want. Could just be that at my age I don't want to have to deal with a clutch!When I started policing, all the police cars could be ordered with first gear lock-out on the auto transmissions. Georgia State Patrol and GBI cars had that option. We have some curvey roads up here in the North Georgia mountains. The first gear lock-out was so you could slam into a curve in a pursuit, kick the shifter to second, push the car around the curve using the gas pedal, and then shift up to third when you come out of the curve. You launched like a rocket, and never touched the brakes. I have done that on some curves that you would think you'd have to get down to 35mph to handle, but with the shift down, and dropping a tire or two off the pavement to hold you in place, I have taken them at 65-75.Good times!! Sometimes you have to use a crowbar to get your passengers fingers out of the dash pad, however.

So how 'bout posting some pics of what you have started and how it's coming along? What car did you finally decide on. I mean, after 10 pages of "Im gonna" and "I'd like mine to", I'm sure you have something off and running.. Just curious on the progress your making. You have some great ideas and would love to see it start coming together. Mike

So how 'bout posting some pics of what you have started and how it's coming along? What car did you finally decide on. I mean' date=' after 10 pages of "Im gonna" and "I'd like mine to", I'm sure you have something off and running.. Just curious on the progress your making. You have some great ideas and would love to see it start coming together. Mike[/quote']Indeed but my plan is to go with a 73' first and see what I like and dont like about it before I go with a Daytona Replica, that way I know what I'm getting into, what to look for and what options I want to get on it or put on it and that way I wont loose money once I sell it on providied I didnt do anything stupid to it.and thus I need to start looking for one and getting everything together, problem is winter is upon us and well its not a good time to go looking, plus I want to find everything I could learn about vettes in general beforehand and I still think I need to do more research to make sure I dont miss anything vital hence why I was spending so much time at the vette forums soaking up everything everyone else has done with the stock ones first and what to look out for, plus easing some of my worries like the brake system where I had the brakes go out on me fully on my old car, thankfully it was at low speed and no one was around, hence why I made a point to look into it and thus I want the brake system checked out before I buy it to make sure it does have a dual master clyinder brake system and that its fully functional unlike what happened on my old car.and the carbs thing (I dont want to have to pop the hood eveyday to get the damn thing started) the shift patern (I dont want to be going over and up everytime I'm driving in traffic like Don had to do with the testarossa in S3) and other minor details like the keyless entry as trust me that is a very nice modern thing to have on a car nowadays that I've grown very a custom to and it would be quite jarring to go back to the old way.and any of the post 1972 cars are fairly priced and with gas prices as they are they should start to go down so its really just a matter of finding the right one, basically I want to go with either a well used 73' coupe or convertibile first like this one

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_VI8flfwr4

thats not too beat up to learn the ways of the car on it but not concorse either, plus getting used to NOT having abs or any of those aids on it and maybe do some custom work on one of those that I cant do on the daytona replica like a pistol grip shifter ala Hurst And The Vanishing Point Challenger and sidepipes like this 73'http://www.vetteweb.com/features/0208vet_1973_chevrolet_corvette_coupe/index.htmlor even have the mirror on the dash instead of the windshield like on the old shelby cobras as not to block my viewalthough the key thing is I want to get the gunlocker situation sorted and a few other things first like Sending the WW2 Walther P38 down to Earls repair shop to fix everything else thats worn out on it after finally getting it back after a slide change that's taken two years and finally aquiring 645 or the 4506, as a replacement for the never was that is the Vltor Bren Ten.which I want to do first as I was planning on making it my go to carry gun and that 645 from all acounts is probably going to need to be sent to wayne Novak for trigger work and a rear sight replacement along with a few other things.so at the very least the begining of this project will begin in about 5 months next march, provided I get the gun stuff sorted first and the thing about the vette is while I see C3's around here I cant remember seeing a 73' riding around and the 73' is the year I want to go with is because it was the last year it had any chrome on it, specifically the sides and the rear, plus the chrome windshield.and the only lead I have for daytona replicas here is rowley corvette which at last account was an expensive replica, atleast at the old sale price, something like 80,000 although I have seen mcburnies on ebay go for about 15 - 20,000so I might end up going for a beat up late 70's - 81 vette judging by the ones I've seen around here first, live with it for about a year or so, do some custom work in the meantime like trying out a momo steering wheel on it or a nardi, the sidepipes and a few other things along with the Mr Mike seats and then when I get it right, have a mcburnie from across the states sight unseen over ebay or some other way brought over and get rid of the normal vette to make room for it, although this is all in my mind and I might just say hell with it and go with the mcburnie right away if the price is right, I cant find a good vette around here for a decent price and its already painted black with a tan interior as I think it would cost too much to repaint AND completely reupholster a car like this

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_KG_t-RXY

So what it comes down to is once the gun issue is sorted out since thats the easiest to do first and also to me personally the key thing I want to do first since theres no sense in waiting for vltor to say anything about the bren ten so I might as well go ahead with that long thought of plan and I want to get the walther into tip top condition and see how good it can be after Earl's worked his magic on it since it was the first gun I learned how to shoot on and thus I have a high personal attachment to itI plan getting an actual 1973 - 1979 C3 vette first as a trainer/testbed for the daytona project once winter has passed to try out the C6/C5 mirrors on it, along with the Mr Mikes seats, steering wheels, the remote entry and the rest ive talked about in great detail to make sure I 100% want to do that with a replica as the replicas are nearly as rare as the actual daytona now while they made some huge amount of C3 vette's over its 15 year lifespan, plus I'd probably boost the value of the car by doing that aesthetic stuff to it and get it running right so I might also be able to make some money off of it for the daytona.although if I got it as good looking as the green one or this one I might have trouble parting with it:

and then once I'm done testing switch over to the Mcburnie and get to work on it and turn it into a S1 replica first with the cutdown mcburnie grill, the headlights, switched around tail lights, straight tail pipes and different door panels and pilot seats, live with it for awhile and then gradually turn it into the Vice City Stories car with a black mettalic paint job, new plexyglass nose piece and turn the upholstery into cream to match the new paint job along with the Latter corvette mirrors provided I've found they actually work on the C3 along with the Mr Mike seats.

Just one observation' date=' which is probably generational. I drive my car around town, and love to max it out on the streets. Out on the freeway, where top end matters, the manual shift might be good. For me, I can down shift the automatic and still get the effect I want. Could just be that at my age I don't want to have to deal with a clutch!When I started policing, all the police cars could be ordered with first gear lock-out on the auto transmissions. Georgia State Patrol and GBI cars had that option. We have some curvey roads up here in the North Georgia mountains. The first gear lock-out was so you could slam into a curve in a pursuit, kick the shifter to second, push the car around the curve using the gas pedal, and then shift up to third when you come out of the curve. You launched like a rocket, and never touched the brakes. I have done that on some curves that you would think you'd have to get down to 35mph to handle, but with the shift down, and dropping a tire or two off the pavement to hold you in place, I have taken them at 65-75.Good times!! Sometimes you have to use a crowbar to get your passengers fingers out of the dash pad, however.[/quote']Hmm so it was used as a speed booster in a way for those cars, that does make sense but it just seems too dangerous for my taste.with me however I've always driven an auto and never had to deal with a clutch and nowadays eveyone is going over to flappy pannel gearboxes which have no clutch and NO gearshift leaver including lambroghini and ferrari to the point that the manual transmision is an extremly rare option on almost all italian cars, which is just downright blasphemy for anyone who grew up lusting after lamborghini countach's and the early viper RT/10's like I did so I think at the very least a proper performance car should at the very least have a gear stick leaver of somesort!and I just want to do something different and do the reverse, although in a way the daytona in the show was doing the exact opposite of what everyone was doing back then too so its kind of appropriate in a way, however this is also why I want to go with a testbed car to make sure I want to 100% do that with the daytona replica, ditto with the seats and everything else for the most part, and since the daytona replica is basically a corvette with a different body I could easily do the same to it for the most part after living for it for awhile, save for maybe the cooling system and the front end lift your car gets at a 100.however like I said it could be that the tires are too small and the air between the body and the tires causes the front end to lift or it needs stiffer shocks or both and for all we know Car 4 does have different shocks on it from the show to handle the extra weight from the camera rigs, plus the huge Pirelli tires

Well, a couple of things I need to run by you. I've been into older cars for over 25 years. Mainly GM muscle. Old cars do not go down in value because of gas prices. They, for the most part are not driven every day. Once a week maybe. Especially highly sought after cars and the Corvette is one of them. I (and anyone else who's ever restored or heavily modified or upgraded a car) will tell you it's three to four times more cost effective to buy the car close to what you want done. Then make your personal touches on it. The fall is the BEST time to acquire a classic. Folks have enjoyed them all summer and one's even thinking of selling will do so now to save on winter storage. I think of what your wanting to achieve is a vision. A big one. Not to say it can't be done, yet you're talking some HUGE $'s and a pretty equiped shop to work in with alot of time on your hands. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that starting with a plain car, say you pick up a basket case vette convert for 5 grand, have it towed home and three grand later it's up and running and maybe capable of going down the road under it's own power. Looking at it though, you wouldn't be caught dead in it cause, well, I'm sure it would be an eyesore. Then add maybe 25% of what you talked about in mechanics and the modifications that'll need to be done requires the shop I mentioned as very little to nothing is a true bolt in. If you farm out the work needed for a project of this magnitude will not only be expensive(specialty shops are in the $80/hr+ range) yet chances are it won't meet your expectations. Just being real here. I say acquire something close to what your looking for and add some personal touches and enjoy. A build like youre visioning will take 5-8 years in spare time and a little on the weekends. $20 Grand on parts goes fast and the pile ain't very big. Also, alot of pieces will have to hand fabricated as these 'Daytonas' were not produced in high #'s. I wish you well on your build. Sounds like you've done a ton of research on it which is a great start. Mike

Thanks but as long as the beatup one is in a color I like and its still got most of its paint on it I would enjoy driving it you see I've always had a thing for things that look like its gone through hell as you can actually use the thing as a daily driver and leave it in a parking lot without for the most part worrying about it like columbo's or sledhammers car http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_96503-Dodge-St-Regis-1981.htmlhttp://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_59702-Peugeot-403-Cabriolet-1960.htmlor the bentleys bond had in the books, a 33' 4/2 liter and a crashed and rebuilt contental type R that were both painted elephants breath grey that he didnt care about getting a few marks on it which is kind of why I liked the look of the daytona in the first season, it wasnt always polished, the nose looked abit beat up and it had sort of the same kind of rough charm crockett had plus its character/patina, however if ALL the paint was gone thats a different story and I do have a garage for the thing its just that I also need to clean that one out too for it, something I'm planning on doing during the next couple of months as well next to the guns thing, although mind you its not really tall enough for a proper lift so I'd have to use jacks to get under italthough just for the hell of it I will take a look around and see whats posted in the local papers, see if theres atleast a 73 around here somewhere, you see my main problem I had with the C3 corvette is the nose. its way too pointy for my tastes and it really shows up on the 68 - 72 model like a big chrome arrowhead. although in dark colors like that maroon and green it hides it well on the post 72' models.although in 1980 they did a redesign of the nose that made it look too melted in my opinion, kind of what ferrari did to the testarossa when they created the 512M in 94, didnt fix what bothered me about the car and then screwed up the rest of it with an ugly redesign

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4aePWsaKQI

hence why the years I'm looking for are 73 - 79 and its also why I like the daytona replica because that's what I think the nose on it should have looked like to begin with, a C2 nose mixed with a sleak body like the C5 and C6 vettes.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm I think your right I'd be better off going with a car thats as close to the MV car from the getgo as the basis and I'm starting to think of jettisioning the idea of going with another vette first as well I might as well have a crack at my vision first provided I can get the garage back in order and deal with a couple of mice that have shown up in it, not to mention finding one that hasnt been too abused as well problem is finding one in this neck of the woods and I have to admit I keep thinking about this car on youtube:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_KG_t-RXY

you see I have a theory that if a car works in a bright dull color like white or the typical boring ferrari red the car will look great in any color and while I've seen an actual daytona spyder in white with a red interior and red accients pull it off I've never seen the testarossa pull it off in the show as its dull color is why there's suddenly a ton of blue and white filters used at night with it during S3 as without it the color is too dull to make the car interesting, which is why the car looked so washed out during the 4th and 5th seasons of the show when they started using purely white filters, not unlike Crocketts burnt out Character actuallyand plus I found this photo of a red proof of concept mcburnie on ebay awhile back and actually with the chrome winshield piece of the 74 and earlier vettes it WORKS:Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-Ferrari-Daytona-Spyder-McBurnie-Kit-Car-Photo-/290465016044?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a11068ecalthough problem is chances are that red one has a ton of problems in store for its next owner whereever it is as look at how its being treated at 5:47:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmR29hyMLR4

and remember the roof is perished and it doesnt have any sort of rear window, its got a few little holes in the roof too, the rev gauge is spun all over the place when he started the car last not to mention the center console shift numbers are gone and you'd have no idea what gear is which from just looking at it, if this is what it looks like on the exterior how the hell does the thing drive?basically while I'd like to save it I'd think it'd be hell in a hand basket, I mean so far the only real problem I've read about them is with the cooling system if the car is well taken care of and that one certainly isntI dont know but I dont think that's going to be my base car as much as I'd like to save it, anyways Ill go into why I'm thinking of a cream interior and the testarossas former paint job next and trust me it really is a god damn shame they didnt leave the paintjob alone on the testarossa when they got it and just cut back on the night chases if it didnt show up, or use white filters for the chases if need be like they did for down for the count part 2.It was worst decision next to PMT growning out his beard for the show in S4, it really is that much of a crying shame that they didnt leave the black metallic paint job alone and you'll see why when I show you the photos I found of a testarossa with the same job from the ferrari forums next.

I really like the look of the daytona in season 2 tale of the goat.Someone just told me today seeing the flashing headlights, add more to the cool 'look', in night scenes, as opposed to the Daytona with the just the 'grill' (?) at the front.Eingefügtes Bild

I dont understand, flashing headlights?Does he mean that weird blued effect the lights got from having only the normal lights on, rather than the highs on in conjunction with the normal lights like here with the smoked plexyglass of the pilot and S2?without the highs on

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzDDTPz9XY

with the highs on:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1o-NWNmQLM

and personally with the grill of the car I want it to have some sort of protruding lip like the actual one did rather than having the grill meet right in the middle of the nose with the furthest point on the nose which is what caused it to show up like it did in that shot.like with this one with a more or less straight up and down grillEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildvs the MV car in that shot with its angled grill now meeting with the point on the nose.Eingefügtes Bildand this other mcburnie with the grill set up the way it was in S2 as the one on the MV car has been repainted and possibily remounted after the shows runhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4959&stc=1&d=1320426300actually it looks like its been moved further out yet again, this time on the bottom like Carl did it to it when he had the car a year before he sold it to the owner before Camera, as it didnt used to stick out over the plexyglass like that in the show in both seasonshttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXYziAswSRcFCdB3hkhXO1QmKk7ma99E-ZQpHtcTknqYSlYqFw

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwgiRApDmkA

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrvZJvG3iZU

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4958&stc=1&d=1320426148 plus I think carl may have remounted the grill atleast on the top further upwards and closer to that point because of the bottoming out damage it suffered from the 4 way stop hopping of the first season which was severe enough to the point where the engine mount stuck out in the daytona chase against the countach

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU964Wtmkkc

plus he painted it matt silver which is why it sometimes showed up at the oddest times in the shows run in weird ways like here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4957&stc=1&d=1320425901it might have not even shown up at all like this in S2 if he had just left it chromed, or for that matter rechromed the entire thing even more to give it a nicer shine to match the daytona's now highly polished body.although I kind of have a love/hate kind of deal with that grill being painted matt silver as it looks like if its reccessesd further in it might actually work at all angles like on this one I found awhile back.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4956&stc=1&d=1320425867

post-592-13892963932275_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963932804_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963933111_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963933422_thumb.jpg

I dont understand, flashing headlights? Does he mean that weird blued effect the lights got from having only the normal lights on, rather than the highs on in conjunction with the normal lights like here with the smoked plexyglass of the pilot and S2? The Season 2 look thats what I meant.I like the look.With the grill I do like chrome affect more than the matte finish.I love chrome.

ah gotcha I also thought you may have ment the rear tail light problem from the first season

where one or the other would go out at random times like in the toll booth here at 1:56 on the left side.

yeah it was some sort of odd ignition in one of the tail pipes, not unlike that of a turbo flame and the car original had a turbo on it when markadian finished with it in an attempt to recoupe some of its lost horsepower from the strict emission years.hence the GTS designation they gave it here, and this is the vice car pre vice:Eingefügtes Bildalthough the engine isnt the original one in the car and the turbo it had in 81' is long since gone, instead its some sort of stock vette motor from roughly the same time period as the one that was in there when the car was new. and in 81' or 82 GM switched over to the crossfire fuel injection with the vette and motor was changed in some odd way in 81 that didnt allow it to have as much power as the L82 motor they had been using in the 70s till 1980.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_C5MDlabLE

and supposedly the L82 engine can be easily tuned up and pumped up with new headers, a new intake and a new carb, thats all and thats supposedly boosts the horsepower output from 220 to about 250 - 270 gross hp, vs the 200 gross power the 81 engine had, hence why I think the engine in the daytona now is a pre 81 L82 motor since I wouldnt be the least bit surprised if Carl knew that when he started taking care of the cars for the show and had the engine changed as he didnt want to screw around with the crossfire injection system and the turbo of car 4as car 1 had the 76 motor in it, or atleast I presume it did and it had a normal carb unlike car 1 so it kind of fits, more horsepower to lug all of the camera equipment around for S2 on Car 4, less trouble keeping the engine going now that they were both the same era more or less and it would explain why the stunt car showed up far less than it did in S1 in S2, although the only ways to tell them apart in S2 were the more square dash pad, the trans am like shifter and I swear it looks like its headlights are closer together than on car 4, although you cant really tell since the only times you can tell it was car 1 in S2 were the daytime shots and the smoked plexyglass cover prevents you from really getting a good look at the headlights aside from when there on.although I have to admit I'd gotta wonder what an L82 powered vette would sound like in real life with a turbo

I would also be curious to hear the L82 with the turbo.I am just curious about something is it better to get a daytona with this type of engine if you can find it or something else equivalent.Of course the best scenario is you get a daytona with the engine you want in it.

I'm not sure if that would be wise though as I dont know too much about how reliabile a turbo really is, however I gotta wonder if the reason why the daytona sounded like it did in the first season is because of the turbo as it had a very distinct noise to it that I dont remember a vette normally sounding like, and when I say that I mean specifically episiodes like the Hit List and a few others in the First Season.and if after it was removed it it started to sound like a normal vette it would explain why they constantly dubbed the car in the Second Season as to cover up that fact, however it did have 4 tail pipes vs 2 on the normal vette, I Think and all of those engine mods so it may have been them just doing it for no reason as they did the same to the testarossa on occasion in the latter seasonsalthough leno has said that turbocharging is basically free power since it kicks in at a certain RPM and doesnt require horsepower to run like a supercharger and my other favorite car from the 1980's had one and that thing sounded beautiful

anyways ill see what I can find but I dont think that many people have turbocharged a C3 vette, atleast with a somewhat stock L82 engine.although honestly it wasnt in the cards with my plans for the vette as I just want an old reliabile sorted V8 road car with a stock suspension that wont rattle my teeth out and with the shocks of a C5 vette if that's possibile, those are the shocks that can be magnitized to change the stiffness of the shocks from inside the car without physically changing anything, however I do want to look into anti roll bars on the front and the rear for it if I think it needs it.

Love the audi.My brother just bought an audi and he went for a manual which he loves and I saw during the summer in the country and it was a treat to follow him up to the lake and then back in the evening.I just thought the turbo would give some horsepower to the daytona.Of course if its there for no reason thats a different story then.I know what you mean by the earlier episodes,I hear her,thats no mistake.

well the thing is though that if you need more horsepower theres no need to go for a big block motor or a turbo nowadays. a normal street car crate motor like a crate 327 which is smaller than the normal vette engine can produce atleast 280 hp nowadays from the ground up with no need for a lead additive like those earlier more powerful motors from the muscle car era required, which was another reason why people really didnt used to switch out the motors like they do now, plus how strict the emmisions laws were then and it would have probably made it illegal to drive back then as well since in order to bypass those laws the cars chasis has to be alteast 25 years of age to bypass that crap.mind you I think the crate motor thing primarily started around the time the replicar buisness took off in the middle to late 80's/early 90's, which would also fit in around the time those cars like the cuda became atleast 25 years of age.and the reason why I looked into this is because I have the idea that if I become speed crazy I'd go for a 327 crate motor and have it borred out to 377 CI with a steel block and all of those goodies the grand sport C2 engine had to produce 425 horsepower at 5,600 rpm which gave the ferrari's of that time period a run for their money in the straight line speed department and since its not a big block I wouldnt really have to worry about it causing the front end of the car to be too heavy for the chasis to handle like the big blocked muscle cars of the 60's and the 70's, although of course I'd have to uprate the suspension and everything else to handle that power and see if the body could handle that kind of speed as Jurrasic noted front end lift at a 100 with his but I think its probably because of the small tires on his car and if not I could just use the miura trick I read about here to rectify that:http://www.lambomiura.com/rest30.htmand a few tricks ferrari and actually shelby used today and back then to reduce body lift where they actually have vents built in behind the wheels to reduce air pressure on the body and you can actually easily see where that comes in on the New 458 italian just looking at the thing.however as Eastwood said you've got to know your limitations and I know I wouldnt be able to handle that kind of power, atleast not now especially with a car with no drivers aids or ABS whatsoever as the most powerful car I've driven has about a 175 hp and 177 ft pounds of torque with drivers aids, ABS, traction control and an auto transmission and I just know I couldnt handle that much power as a green horn sports car guy.so my goal is a simple one I want a road car that wont rattle my teeth out like with those aston martins they had on top gear reciently that is old school with about 200 - 280 hp under the hood, carbed as it produces more horspower up in the torque band with a 5 speed manual transmission that I can learn to drive a manual on without it killing me if I give it the beltplus its just kind of anti establisment then as almost none of the major car manufactures are offering proper manuals anymore Ferrari and lamborghini included which is god damn blasphemy to any old school ferrari and lamborghini fan like me, my brother loves the miura, I was a countach kid.plus I know this bimbo wouldnt know how to drive one with an old school manual and none of those uncool idiots in hollywood would have the knowhow to make the car look as good and be as old school as the vice car or mine.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZCUtnuAXg8&ob=av3n

so I'd have the ultimate throwback to the old ways of the Grand Turismo based american and foreign sports car industry from the 60's and the 70's, with all of the best elements of it and none of the negatives the miura, countach and the testarossa had, namely no trunk, a gearshift leaver that would break your arm trying to shift it fast and really bad gas mileage.mixed in with the breakaway weight distribution that plagued those cars with their V12 engines and still does with the murcielago and the porsche 911 or any car that has the engine weight infront or behind the rear axel as you just cant really get a good feel for how much you can do with one of those sliding around while with the american V8's or the front engined daytona you could control the skid and know what its going to do as the heaviest part of the car is right infront of you rather than behind.

anyways with a quick note on the original quattro which is what made audi famous in 81 - 83' with a ton of group b wins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Quattro the reason I like it is because it seems to be a fun car that has distinct looks that would easily be overlooked in a car park, plus the car has a primative 4 wheel drive system that gives off 50/50 power to all 4 wheels which looks like alot of fun on the early ones, plus its a 5 cylinderwith a turbo that produces alot of torque and the turbo kicks in at about 3000 rpm and from what I understand its sort of a hidden gem of a car really that offers a unique driving experence comapired to modern cars, problem is finding parts for them and working out some of the electrical problems, and it needs smaller mirrors on either door.Eingefügtes Bild something along the lines of the koenig testarossa mirrors would suit it far better and that insturment panel.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=B38RcT5bCao

and while I dont trust porsche with that 911 I do for the most part like Audi's

Now with the interior the reason why I want to go with a cream/light tan interior like on the testarossa is because it seems to be an inbetween of a white and tan interior, Like of Nash's Cuda and the DaytonaEingefügtes Bildhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4979&stc=1&d=1320957134http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4982&stc=1&d=1320957478http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4978&stc=1&d=1320957133http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4981&stc=1&d=1320957329and it seems to have the unqiue property of looking tan in the daylight, but not as tan as the daytona at all times and white at night in the testarossa.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4980&stc=1&d=1320957136

post-592-1389296393776_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963938268_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963938926_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963939215_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963939719_thumb.jpg

Plus I think I found the only daytona spyder in the world with that color combination, a right hander from england no less, couldnt get any rarer if I tried as I know of atleast 3 black with tan interior daytona spyders out there, but none save for this one with a cream interior and in a lovely dark blue to boot.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4983&stc=1&d=1320958244http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4984&stc=1&d=1320958245 although I'd have to go with the same color carpet as the testarossa in the show unlike the example I used above and this daytona to properly contrast it as black while it worked with tan it seems to dark to work with creamhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4985&stc=1&d=1320958247http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4988&stc=1&d=1320960666http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4989&stc=1&d=1320960667http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4990&stc=1&d=1320960668however there is one issue with that daytona and thats that stripe that goes around the entire daytona striping which kind of ruins the balance a little.and with the dash of the camera car which seems to be based off the miura I know it would work because I've also found a photo of a miuras dash rigged up in white instead of tan so the contrast would work there as well, however going with this color combination might mean that I cant go with a wood center console and instead have to go with what the camera car has now, a black center console.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4986&stc=1&d=1320958249http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4987&stc=1&d=1320958250and you can see from that photo of the miura why I dont want to go with a straight white, its too bright for it.Now as the reason why I want to go with cream over tan is because honesly while I like tan interior of the daytona after seeing the testarossa's cream interior in action in S3 onwards with those lovely seats I dont think I could ever go with tan after seeing how good it looks although I'd have to make sure its the right kind cream leather and pannels as a cream interior by one interior maker can look like hell while another might look as good as the one in the testarossaalthough GM seems to have made an interior color very similar to the testarossa's cream so I may atleast have a starting point there

post-592-13892963940022_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963940532_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963940971_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963941483_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963941951_thumb.jpg

Funny I post that and not a day latter I come across a daytona replica with the same color interior as the testarossa, except with way too much black in it and thus it overpowers the seatshttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5013&stc=1&d=1321411810http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5010&stc=1&d=1321411803http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5011&stc=1&d=1321411805http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5012&stc=1&d=1321411808and the straight tuxedo black exterior doesnt look as good on it as the midnight blue the vice car has although that might also be because of the way the plexyglass is cut over the headlights which never looks as good as one solid piece of plexyglass:Eingefügtes Bildhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5014&stc=1&d=1321411812 plus I dont think the wood works with cream like this, although theres not enough of the cream interior to be able to really tell from this exampleor the testarossas original color of Black Metallic/Nero MetallizzatoEingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963972026_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963973153_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963974269_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963975382_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963976412_thumb.jpg