For Muscle Car Lovers Only

Richie Rich

• 6 months later...
Corvette is Now Kentucky's Official State Sports Car

Corvette is Now Kentucky's Official State Sports CarBy Alex in Car & Vehicle, Politics on Jun 30, 2010 at 11:43 amCorvette lovers rejoice! The Great State of Kentucky has just come to its wits and declared the Chevrolet Corvette as the official sports car of the state:Despite the Corvette’s popularity, the bill almost didn’t make it. With the General Motors bailout and bankruptcy, the bill was, for a time, buried in red tape. Now with the controversy concerning GM subsiding, the bill was quickly resurrected.“As home to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentuckians have long considered the Corvette to be Kentucky’s sports car and a great symbol of Kentucky pride and craftsmanship,†Beshear said. “House Bill 104, which was passed during the 2010 General Assembly, now makes that designation official. It was with great pleasure that I signed HB 104 into law.â€

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/06/30/corvette-is-now-kentuckys-official-state-sports-car/#more-32956

Sorry I'm abit late to the party here. Ferrariman that Chrysler Daytona sounds awesome, its certainly one hell of a sleeper. Figures they took your old duster to the junkyard for a $10 piece of stainless steel tubing (had the same problem happen to me on an old intrigue) did you ever manage to get it back? when it comes running old cars in the UK it sucks. even if the cars mechanically fine a mandatory MOT every I think 8 or 9 months is required to use it on the road and they will fail anyone for minor rust problems like a hole in floor about the size of a marble. so it would be hard to use an old muscle car as a daily driver over there and taxing to Just save it for a good sunny day having to do that once a year, not to mention the congestion charges. although the tax excemption for any pre 1973 cars might make it possible (which hopefully they'll be updating for latter cars from the 80's like the quattro and latter fords) The problem with modern cars isn't the pollution equipment sucking up the horsepower its weight a 1970 challenger weighed 3,600 with a 440 six pack. the modern srt 8 weighs 4,400 (nearly half a ton extra!) with ABS and no stickshift and when you can put on a $2,000 kit from hotchkis suspension to make the original handle like a modern one why bother with a new one? hell with 3:15 gears you get decent mileage off of it too.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/muscle-cars/1970-hotchkis-dodge-challenger-340-ta/ http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/muscle-cars/1970-dodge-challenger-rt-update/ http://www.hotchkis.net/search.html?Make=13&Model=1247&SubmitForm=Search Hell some of latter ones are still sitting at a decent price http://www.cars-on-line.com/47245.html or buy one from the factory with the torsion bar suspension:
and Stinger what year is your Ford Ranchero?

• Administrators
Sorry I'm abit late to the party here. Ferrariman that Chrysler Daytona sounds awesome' date=' its certainly one hell of a sleeper. Figures they took your old duster to the junkyard for a $10 piece of stainless steel tubing (had the same problem happen to me on an old intrigue) did you ever manage to get it back? [/quote']Yes the daytona is indeed awesome! With the power it makes and it's light weight (about 2600) I have surprised quite a few more traditional (rear wheel drive, V8) muscle cars.That was a Dart, not my Duster, that went to the junkyard and no I never got it back.

sorry I get the names mixed up and that sucks, well hopefully if thats all that was wrong with it the junker may have saved it and sold it to another person.and just for fun I have to admit just for the hell of it I would buy a 72 dodge demon just for the name, can you imagine the looks you'd get if you drove that thing through the bible belt?

• Administrators
and just for fun I have to admit just for the hell of it I would buy a 72 dodge demon just for the name' date=' can you imagine the looks you'd get if you drove that thing through the bible belt?[/quote']It's really funny you should mention that. The Demon (Dodge's counterpart to Plymouth's Duster) only had the name for '71 & '72. It was religious persuasion (or should I say fanatics!) that forced Chrysler to change the name from Demon to Dart Sport. Yes they are truly collectible for that reason alone!

• 2 weeks later...

I test drove the 2010 Challenger RT...the 2009 was more appealing to me.....'10 no moonroof on alot of them....the stereo is aweful....dodge.....needless to say..I would definately own one......but the stereo will have to be replaced immediately!

• 2 weeks later...
Battle of the SupercarsSpeed Channel promo-
Paul Tracy and Tanner Foust doing the driving. Eingefügtes BildSchedule: SpeedTV07/2210:00pm ETTurbo 6 ChallengeTanner Foust Street Drift: Mulholland You guys know I only post the good stuff. And this is it (2:54 for driving skill, son. No luck there, only skill.)Video here:
Eingefügtes Bild

FANTASTIC!!It makes one wonder how he didn't slide off and crash!(I pretended it was Timm525 driving home from a bar :))

Not considered a "muscle car", but being an owner, and fan of classic ALFA SPIDERS, ....Here's a little classic spider drifting.

and one doing donuts.
(I would never treat my Spider that way)

• Administrators

I test drove the 2010 Challenger RT...the 2009 was more appealing to me.....'10 no moonroof on alot of them....the stereo is aweful....dodge.....needless to say..I would definately own one......but the stereo will have to be replaced immediately!

Probably had a base model stereo. There are several upgrade stereos that really rock!

FANTASTIC!!It makes one wonder how he didn't slide off and crash!

Coop - have you ever driven this section of Mulholland that they call "The Snake"?I missed it during the last time I was in Cali 2 yrs ago (darn it - although I could have done some serious tire smoking in my rented Hyundai).

Coop - have you ever driven this section of Mulholland that they call "The Snake"?I missed it during the last time I was in Cali 2 yrs ago (darn it - although I could have done some serious tire smoking in my rented Hyundai).

I haven't had the pleasure.......yet. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Well one of the most iconic cars from arguably the greatest chase scene in movie history was sold today at Mecum...for a COOL $3.4 MILLION bucks.   

The 1968 Mustang GT driven by McQueen in Bullitt. 

I read that the Charger in the chase scene was a Big Block 375 hp, while the Mustang GT was 390/325 so the Charger had to reduce speed several times to let the Mustang catch up. 

The history of this car is worth the read .  @CameraDaytona, an amazing price for a famous unrestored show car.  

https://bullitt.mecum.com/

It's Time To Sell Your House - The Original Steve McQueen ...

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Wow!!  Such a great film!  I watched this for the first time as a teenager in the late '90s.  My friend's dad said it had one of the greatest car chases in movie history.  I was skeptical, being that this was an older film.  After I finished, I rewinded the tape and watched the chase several more times.  My friend's dad was right!

The phrase "More money than I know what to do with" has never made sense to me.  This is exactly what I would do if I could burn 3 million in an afternoon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Wow!!  Such a great film!  I watched this for the first time as a teenager in the late '90s.  My friend's dad said it had one of the greatest car chases in movie history.  I was skeptical, being that this was an older film.  After I finished, I rewinded the tape and watched the chase several more times.  My friend's dad was right!

The phrase "More money than I know what to do with" has never made sense to me.  This is exactly what I would do if I could burn 3 million in an afternoon.

It is a GREAT film if you're a McQueen fan. I must have seen it 20+ times over the years.  Many don't know that McQueen did a lot of his own driving in the film as he was an experienced race driver. And the style of filming with the cameras mounted in the car was a new approach that we now see often that makes us feel like a part of the action. 

The last owner who put it up for auction paid around $6000 for it in 1974...what a return on investment!  

9 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

It is a GREAT film if you're a McQueen fan. I must have seen it 20+ times over the years.  Many don't know that McQueen did a lot of his own driving in the film as he was an experienced race driver. And the style of filming with the cameras mounted in the car was a new approach that we now see often that makes us feel like a part of the action. 

The last owner who put it up for auction paid around $6000 for it in 1974...what a return on investment!  

McQueen was awesome!  The bike chase in "The Great Escape" is pretty epic too.

If anyone wants to hear the 1968 Bullitt Mustang engine growl you can hear it during the first minute and a half of this clip as well at the 10 minute mark. 

Just love the sound of the 390/325 hp V8 in this bad boy.  My understanding is the studio left the factory glasspacks in but changed the exhaust by straightening it to give the car its unique and loud engine growl. McQueen personally made other changes to the car to make it screen ready like blacking out the grill, removing the Mustang badging, painting over some chrome, hiding the backup lights and adding custom wheels.  So :cool:

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Wow, Sport!!  I'm new to the community here, and I can see this is a tricky thread for me to step into...

I love driving (no, really, I ADORE driving like Chef's adore cooking).  But I grew up affording only Front-wheel drive cars, and only recently am appreciating Rear-wheel drive.

I grew up hearing and watching slightly older kids around my neighborhood tinker with cars to make them LOUDER.  But I watched them rely on noisy mufflers and over-boosted machinery, instead of actually learning how to drive a car WELL (hence I saw my neighborhood kids smash up innocent folks' yards and parked cars).  So the only cars and drivers I could ever admire when I was a kid…were the guys like Jim Rockford and BJ and the Bear on tv.  

Now that I'm older, I can admire what engineering and design it takes to make a real muscle car.  But now I hear there's a big argument and big difference between a REAL muscle car, and the Pony car, or the Sports Car, or the Spyder car.  (Like the differences I learn between a "sunroof" and a "moonroof").

And then to admire the fact that Actors can never "drive" well on camera---the real applause always needs to go to the Stunt Driver and the Director-n-Cameraman.  Mcqueen only looks good driving a car on cmaera when the movie is filmed well, and the stunt driver is the best there is.  I've seen the movie "LeMans" for instance (and frowned).  Then I've seen the movie "Gran Prix" (and the photography blew my mind).  

I have grown to seriously admire the engineering and design of these cars (whether they fit true muscle-car definition or not).  But I can't stand movies like Fast and Furious that make a whole new generation of goof-heads start doctoring their 2nd-hand cars to make lots of noise and try ot copy what they THOUGHT they saw Vin Deisel do in heavy traffic.  

…I think in the end, it takes people in their 50's and 60's to really respect a performance car, and drive it superbly well without making a clown of himself.  Here in NYC these days, most of these kids drive honda accords with engines twice as loud as the Shelby, and those of us who can afford a modern-day Ford or Chevy Pony Car have to worry about those goof-heads clipping us on the public motorways.  

….What a crazy and unnecessarily dangerous genre muscle cars have been.  

I am not educated enough on the subject to know, but are there any such thing as modern-day Muscle Cars on the market today? 

IMG_3770.JPG

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

McQueen personally made other changes to the car to make it screen ready like blacking out the grill, removing the Mustang badging, painting over some chrome, hiding the backup lights and adding custom wheels.  So :cool:

Steve McQueen was at his best as an actor, I think, NOT as a car driver.  In that movie, I think I heard somewhere that Steve was very sensitive about WHAT SORT of car his character should be seen owning---because it's important for the audience to see this guy as "an honest cop", not corruptible.  If his mustang had all the glitz and badging of a special edition top-line car off the factory----yuck.  It's better for an "honest cop" to have that slightly-aged paint job with an incredibly tuned performance engine as his car.  I think that's why Steve McQueen asked for the blacking-down, and no shiny bits on it.  He was smart.

John Wayne did a (copy-cat style) movie called McQ, and they chose a car for him (same growling show-off in the movie) that ends up looking just too slick and too hot for an old, honest ex-cop to be driving---the combo just doesn't work like Steve's Mustang worked with his cop character.  

Can't remember John Wayne's car.  Anyone know?

Edited by Augusta

• Administrators

The Duke drove a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am.

Loved McQueen and the movie "Bullitt"  Cool movie, awesome chase scene, awesome Mustang!  (but I'd still take the Charger) ;)

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Augusta said:

Wow, Sport!!  I'm new to the community here, and I can see this is a tricky thread for me to step into...

I love driving (no, really, I ADORE driving like Chef's adore cooking).  But I grew up affording only Front-wheel drive cars, and only recently am appreciating Rear-wheel drive.

I grew up hearing and watching slightly older kids around my neighborhood tinker with cars to make them LOUDER.  But I watched them rely on noisy mufflers and over-boosted machinery, instead of actually learning how to drive a car WELL (hence I saw my neighborhood kids smash up innocent folks' yards and parked cars).  So the only cars and drivers I could ever admire when I was a kid…were the guys like Jim Rockford and BJ and the Bear on tv.  

Now that I'm older, I can admire what engineering and design it takes to make a real muscle car.  But now I hear there's a big argument and big difference between a REAL muscle car, and the Pony car, or the Sports Car, or the Spyder car.  (Like the differences I learn between a "sunroof" and a "moonroof").

And then to admire the fact that Actors can never "drive" well on camera---the real applause always needs to go to the Stunt Driver and the Director-n-Cameraman.  Mcqueen only looks good driving a car on cmaera when the movie is filmed well, and the stunt driver is the best there is.  I've seen the movie "LeMans" for instance (and frowned).  Then I've seen the movie "Gran Prix" (and the photography blew my mind).  

I have grown to seriously admire the engineering and design of these cars (whether they fit true muscle-car definition or not).  But I can't stand movies like Fast and Furious that make a whole new generation of goof-heads start doctoring their 2nd-hand cars to make lots of noise and try ot copy what they THOUGHT they saw Vin Deisel do in heavy traffic.  

…I think in the end, it takes people in their 50's and 60's to really respect a performance car, and drive it superbly well without making a clown of himself.  Here in NYC these days, most of these kids drive honda accords with engines twice as loud as the Shelby, and those of us who can afford a modern-day Ford or Chevy Pony Car have to worry about those goof-heads clipping us on the public motorways.  

….What a crazy and unnecessarily dangerous genre muscle cars have been.  

I am not educated enough on the subject to know, but are there any such thing as modern-day Muscle Cars on the market today? 

Nice post!  Make no mistake, today's Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros are true muscle cars.  The perfect example of a "pony" car would be Ford's attempt with the Mustang II in the late 70's. All show and no go, basically a sticker package.

The Fast and Furious movies have given birth to a whole new generation of idiots on the road. Sorry guys, a loud muffler and a big wing does not make you a muscle car. 

Hot rodding is something that gets in your blood, and you're right, it takes a cool head and some common sense to drive one of these cars.  With the horsepower these cars are putting out, it wouldn't take much to lose control and find yourself off the road or upside down. I've been working on cars for over 40 years and at 65 I'm not stopping anytime soon!

and I've got the best of both worlds.  1970 Plymouth 340 Duster,  2014 Dodge Challenger RT "Shaker"

HPIM1573.JPG

HPIM1560.JPG

HPIM2390.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 1:16 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

I think McQueen just did the close up shots while Carey Loftin was doing all of the dangerous high speed driving.