For Muscle Car Lovers Only

Richie Rich

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think McQueen just did the close up shots while Carey Loftin was doing all of the dangerous high speed driving. 

Um, not altogether true. "According to the late Bud Ekins, one of McQueen’s long-time friends, the king of cool had originally intended to do the stunt driving himself but couldn’t keep up with the handler driving the Dodge Charger. On one particular take, McQueen lost control and spun out, nearly taking a cameraman with him. This is when Ekins, also McQueen’s stunt double, was told to take his place. Although he never did the more difficult car control segments for the film, McQueen drove for a significant portion of the time.  Something you certainly wouldn’t get past health and safety nowadays. "   https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/blog/advice/did-steve-mcqueen-perform-all-the-driving-in-bullitt

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Nice post!  Make no mistake, today's Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros are true muscle cars.  The perfect example of a "pony" car would be Ford's attempt with the Mustang II in the late 70's. All show and no go, basically a sticker package.

The Fast and Furious movies have given birth to a whole new generation of idiots on the road. Sorry guys, a loud muffler and a big wing does not make you a muscle car. 

Hot rodding is something that gets in your blood, and you're right, it takes a cool head and some common sense to drive one of these cars.  With the horsepower these cars are putting out, it wouldn't take much to lose control and find yourself off the road or upside down. I've been working on cars for over 40 years and at 65 I'm not stopping anytime soon!

and I've got the best of both worlds.  1970 Plymouth 340 Duster,  2014 Dodge Challenger RT "Shaker"

HPIM2390.JPG

I've seen your Duster before F-Man, but didn't recall seeing your Challenger.  Very Nice!   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Augusta said:

Steve McQueen was at his best as an actor, I think, NOT as a car driver.  In that movie, I think I heard somewhere that Steve was very sensitive about WHAT SORT of car his character should be seen owning---because it's important for the audience to see this guy as "an honest cop", not corruptible.  If his mustang had all the glitz and badging of a special edition top-line car off the factory----yuck.  It's better for an "honest cop" to have that slightly-aged paint job with an incredibly tuned performance engine as his car.  I think that's why Steve McQueen asked for the blacking-down, and no shiny bits on it.  He was smart.

John Wayne did a (copy-cat style) movie called McQ, and they chose a car for him (same growling show-off in the movie) that ends up looking just too slick and too hot for an old, honest ex-cop to be driving---the combo just doesn't work like Steve's Mustang worked with his cop character.  

Can't remember John Wayne's car.  Anyone know?

Interesting perspective on why McQueen may have made some of those modifications. Yes they did also make engine modifications as well as significant suspension modifications for both the Mustangs and Chargers used in the filming.  I had read that McQueen was always very involved in filming, perhaps over-controlling,  and in fact that got him into trouble with the Director in the film LeMans, so this makes some sense to me that he would want control over the car his character used. I'm not sure who selected the Mustang for the production other than the studio but I suspect McQueen may have also had a hand in that as well. 

12 hours ago, Augusta said:

Wow, Sport!!  I'm new to the community here, and I can see this is a tricky thread for me to step into...

I love driving (no, really, I ADORE driving like Chef's adore cooking).  But I grew up affording only Front-wheel drive cars, and only recently am appreciating Rear-wheel drive.

I grew up hearing and watching slightly older kids around my neighborhood tinker with cars to make them LOUDER.  But I watched them rely on noisy mufflers and over-boosted machinery, instead of actually learning how to drive a car WELL (hence I saw my neighborhood kids smash up innocent folks' yards and parked cars).  So the only cars and drivers I could ever admire when I was a kid…were the guys like Jim Rockford and BJ and the Bear on tv.  

Now that I'm older, I can admire what engineering and design it takes to make a real muscle car.  But now I hear there's a big argument and big difference between a REAL muscle car, and the Pony car, or the Sports Car, or the Spyder car.  (Like the differences I learn between a "sunroof" and a "moonroof").

And then to admire the fact that Actors can never "drive" well on camera---the real applause always needs to go to the Stunt Driver and the Director-n-Cameraman.  Mcqueen only looks good driving a car on cmaera when the movie is filmed well, and the stunt driver is the best there is.  I've seen the movie "LeMans" for instance (and frowned).  Then I've seen the movie "Gran Prix" (and the photography blew my mind).  

I have grown to seriously admire the engineering and design of these cars (whether they fit true muscle-car definition or not).  But I can't stand movies like Fast and Furious that make a whole new generation of goof-heads start doctoring their 2nd-hand cars to make lots of noise and try ot copy what they THOUGHT they saw Vin Deisel do in heavy traffic.  

…I think in the end, it takes people in their 50's and 60's to really respect a performance car, and drive it superbly well without making a clown of himself.  Here in NYC these days, most of these kids drive honda accords with engines twice as loud as the Shelby, and those of us who can afford a modern-day Ford or Chevy Pony Car have to worry about those goof-heads clipping us on the public motorways.  

….What a crazy and unnecessarily dangerous genre muscle cars have been.  

I am not educated enough on the subject to know, but are there any such thing as modern-day Muscle Cars on the market today? 

IMG_3770.JPG

Totally agree about Fast and Furious, and too many crazies trying to emulate their driving on the roads with overpowered cars. I had one of those Pony cars, a '79 Mustang. Why I bought that I can only attribute to the stupidity of my youth as it was completely under-powered and nothing special, other than its name and appearance.  I didn't keep it long.  :)   And I'm especially unhappy with the designers move toward lower powered engines in the early 80s, as the Daytona I'm driving was fitted with a small block only running around 190 hp.  Now that I'm older I may be looking to trade that in for something more modern, like F-Man's Challenger.  

What's in your photo--seems to be a Mustang from the steering column. 

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Um, not altogether true. "According to the late Bud Ekins, one of McQueen’s long-time friends, the king of cool had originally intended to do the stunt driving himself but couldn’t keep up with the handler driving the Dodge Charger. On one particular take, McQueen lost control and spun out, nearly taking a cameraman with him. This is when Ekins, also McQueen’s stunt double, was told to take his place. Although he never did the more difficult car control segments for the film, McQueen drove for a significant portion of the time.  Something you certainly wouldn’t get past health and safety nowadays. "   https://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/blog/advice/did-steve-mcqueen-perform-all-the-driving-in-bullitt

You are absolutely right, Carey Loftin was the Stunt Coordinator :)

Here’s mine.  

2018 Camaro 2SS convertible.   Mosaic Black Metallic with Kalahari Tan interior.  8-speed auto, upgraded magnetic ride suspension, controllable performance exhaust (now with a Borla cat-back), 6-piston Brembo brake upgrade...   Added the wheels and tires a couple of weeks after delivery.  Michelin PS4S 285’s in front and 305’s in back.  Then I went with a ported intake manifold, ported throttle body, RotoFab cold air, and a little tuning.   Very fast and fun in all directions.   (And room in the back for the 6 year old.)

The color combo was directly inspired by a certain Ferrari replica we all know and love.   

FD6567B6-F144-46CB-AFD7-0221F22E4D57.jpeg

107ED374-F86B-49A0-8FCC-6323882CB9B3.jpeg

Edited by Marco Falcone
Grammar!
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

This is a nice one, a 1973 Mustang which was Steven Seagal's car in the movie Marked For Death.

Image result for marked for death mustang

Very nice!!  This one rivals the wicked Hemi-Cuda from one of my favorite horror films "Phantasm".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Very nice!!  This one rivals the wicked Hemi-Cuda from one of my favorite horror films "Phantasm".

Well it is so nice to read another fan of the Phantasm movie is on this site.  My wife got me the complete series for Christmas 2018 and we spent a day binge watching.  I told my best friend if I ever win the Mega-Millions lottery I would buy me a Phantasm car.  

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Well it is so nice to read another fan of the Phantasm movie is on this site.  My wife got me the complete series for Christmas 2018 and we spent a day binge watching.  I told my best friend if I ever win the Mega-Millions lottery I would buy me a Phantasm car.  

You would need to win the lottery to afford an original Hemi-Cuda! 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 5:15 AM, Ferrariman said:

The Duke drove a 1970 Pontiac Trans Am.

Loved McQueen and the movie "Bullitt"  Cool movie, awesome chase scene, awesome Mustang!  (but I'd still take the Charger) ;)

I believe it was actually a 1973 Brewster Green 455 Super Duty Pontiac TA

https://barnfinds.com/1973-brewster-green-mcq-trans/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Nice.  We've got an original poster framed in our den.  I have to say I was disappointed in the last one Ravager.  I haven't checked what a Hemi-Cuda goes for in quite some time, mainly because I know it's out of my range.  Last time a remember they were anywhere from 80-120K.

• Administrators
On 1/14/2020 at 5:31 AM, RedDragon86 said:

This is a nice one, a 1973 Mustang which was Steven Seagal's car in the movie Marked For Death.

Image result for marked for death mustang

Also the original Eleanor in Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

Image result for 1974 eleanor

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 January 2020 at 8:49 AM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Totally agree about Fast and Furious, and too many crazies trying to emulate their driving on the roads with overpowered cars. I had one of those Pony cars, a '79 Mustang. Why I bought that I can only attribute to the stupidity of my youth as it was completely under-powered and nothing special, other than its name and appearance.  I didn't keep it long.  :)   And I'm especially unhappy with the designers move toward lower powered engines in the early 80s, as the Daytona I'm driving was fitted with a small block only running around 190 hp.  Now that I'm older I may be looking to trade that in for something more modern, like F-Man's Challenger.  

What's in your photo--seems to be a Mustang from the steering column. 

You have sharp eyes, Sonny-Burnett!  I had to rent a car for about a 200 mile business drive out of NY.  The Avis place gave a discount on Convertible rentals during the summer, and I arrived at the Avis place to find this (melon?…tangerine?) 2018 Mustang prepped for me.  

Ahh, shucks.  I was hoping for a Hyundai Elantra.  :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The BAMF Style site has a lot of great articles on movies and TV shows highlighting men's clothes, accessories, and cars.  One of my favorite movies, Eddie Coyle, has one of the great "ugly" muscle cars:

https://bamfstyle.com/2020/12/02/friends-of-eddie-coyle-jackie/

Sonny Crockett gets a look-in as well.  Unfortunately nothing on the Daytona. 

https://bamfstyle.com/2019/09/16/miami-vice-101-crockett-white-linen/