Greatest 80's Songs

timm525

I have a million stories...here's another.Driving down the 401 in Toronto one night back in 85'about 5:30pm I heard on the radio that Gabriel was playing the gardens in 2 1/2 hours so I headed south on Younge St and went to the venue hoping to obscond a good skelped seat. I managed to get a gold seat for 80 bucks ten minutes before the show started from a skelper' date=' sat in my seat and waited for the show to start.The house lights went out and the show began with the song "shake those hands" and spotlights were scanning the floor area furiously. Then all of a sudden the spotlights converged on a small figure walking through the crowd on the main floor shaking hands while he was singing the song. It was Peter Gabriel shaking everyones hand cruising through the audience as he slowly weaved his way to the stage!If you think about that today it would never happen, but the people respected him and there were no insane fans malling him or anything like that. I look back at that night as a rather special event indeed!Great concert for sure.[/quote'] Nice Gabriel story - keep em coming!

Phil Collins, Take Me Home

"Take Me Home"Take that look of worryI'm an ordinary manThey don't tell me nothingSo I find out what I canThere's a fire that's been burningRight outside my doorI can't see but I feel itAnd it helps to keep me warmSo I, I don't mindNo I, I don't mindSeems so long I've been waitingStill don't know what forThere's no point escapingI don't worry anymoreI can't come out to find youI don't like to go outsideThey can't turn off my feelingsLike they're turning off a lightBut I, I don't mindNo I, I don't mindOh I, I don't mindNo I, I don't mindSo take, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me home, oh lordCos I've been a prisoner all my lifeAnd I can say to youTake that look of worry, mine's an ordinary lifeWorking when it's daylightAnd sleeping when it's nightI've got no far horizonsI don't wish upon a starThey don't think that I listenOh but I know who they areAnd I, I don't mindNo I, I don't mindOh I, I don't mindNo I, I don't mindSo take, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me homeCos I don't rememberTake, take me home, oh lordWell I've been a prisoner all my lifeAnd I can say to youBut I don't rememberTake, take me home...

Click:

A man walks down the streetHe says why am I soft in the middle nowWhy am I soft in the middleThe rest of my life is so hardI need a photo-opportunityI want a shot at redemptionDon't want to end up a cartoonIn a cartoon graveyardBonedigger BonediggerDogs in the moonlightFar away my well-lit doorMr. Beerbelly BeerbellyGet these mutts away from meYou know I don't find this stuff amusing anymoreIf you'll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you BettyAnd Betty when you call meYou can call me AlA man walks down the streetHe says why am I short of attentionGot a short little span of attentionAnd wo my nights are so longWhere's my wife and familyWhat if I die hereWho'll be my role-modelNow that my role-model isGone GoneHe ducked back down the alleyWith some roly-poly little bat-faced girlAll along alongThere were incidents and accidentsThere were hints and allegationsIf you'll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you BettyAnd Betty when you call meYou can call me AlCall me AlA man walks down the streetIt's a street in a strange worldMaybe it's the Third WorldMaybe it's his first time aroundHe doesn't speak the languageHe holds no currencyHe is a foreign manHe is surrounded by the soundThe soundCattle in the marketplaceScatterlings and orphanagesHe looks around, aroundHe sees angels in the architectureSpinning in infinityHe says Amen! and Hallelujah!If you'll be my bodyguardI can be your long lost palI can call you BettyAnd Betty when you call meYou can call me AlCall me Al

I remember Zappa being on vice but I saw him live a bit before his MV fame.It was back in 79 and he played Toronto at the Gardens. Unfortunately the crowd was very thin, I'm not sure why ticket sales were so poor, but I actually enjoyed the show very much.In those times of course there was hit radio and Zappa had no hits, but wow...could his band ever play! They were right on the money and they played very complex music very well indeed! Not chartbuster stuff but if you are an afficionado of music like I am, you repsect what Zappa had done. It was a little over the edge and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before his time back in 79. I loved it!After the concert was over, as I was walking out, many people bitched about how the concert sucked and what a waste of money etc.:rain:Obviously fans of the BeeGees or Bay City Rollers? (not that there's anything wrong with that)

This song would have been very fitting for the MV soundtrack. Even the video is Vice-like!WELCOME TO THE BOOMTOWNDavid & DavidMs. Cristina drives a nine four fourSatisfaction oozes from her poresShe keeps rings on her fingersMarble on her floorCocaine on her dresserBars on her doorsShe keeps her back against the wallShe keeps her back against the wallSo I sayI say welcome, welcome to the boomtownPick a habitWe got plenty to go aroundWelcome, welcome to the boomtownAll that money makes such a succulent soundWelcome to the boomtownHandsome Kevin got a little off trackTook a year off of collegeAnd he never went backNow he smokes too muchHe's got a permanent hackDeals dope out of Denny'sKeeps a table in the backHe always listens to the groundAlways listens to the groundSo I sayI say welcome, welcome to the boomtownPick a habitWe got plenty to go aroundWelcome, welcome to the boomtownAll that money makes such a succulent soundWelcome to the boomtownWell the ambulance arrived too lateI guess she didn't want to wait

• Like 1

The Ward Brothers "Madness Of It All"Driving down let the dice rollDestination no-one knowsSomewhere in heaven through the pearly gatesThis one way ticket buys a empty spaceTo see the sunshine on the madness of it allVacant eyes gaze through the cracksDrying cups hung up on the rackSouvenirs for the Eastern BlocWe travelled first class in a metal boxTo see the sunshine or the madness of it allThe midnight boat sails through the tideThe ferryman takes us to the other sideLife on a knife edge is a life condemnedI need your lovin' but they sapped my strengthTo see the sunshine or the madness of it allThe madness of it allSomewhere in heaven through the pearly gatesThis one way ticket buys a empty spaceTo see the sunshine on the madness of it all

I remember Zappa being on vice but I saw him live a bit before his MV fame.It was back in 79 and he played Toronto at the Gardens. Unfortunately the crowd was very thin' date=' I'm not sure why ticket sales were so poor, but I actually enjoyed the show very much.In those times of course there was hit radio and Zappa had no hits, but wow...could his band ever play! They were right on the money and they played very complex music very well indeed! Not chartbuster stuff but if you are an afficionado of music like I am, you repsect what Zappa had done. It was a little over the edge and WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before his time back in 79. I loved it!After the concert was over, as I was walking out, many people bitched about how the concert sucked and what a waste of money etc.:rain:Obviously fans of the BeeGees or Bay City Rollers? (not that there's anything wrong with that)[/quote'] Stinger --another great story and thanks for sharing. Am embarassed to admit I can't remember any Zappa songs from the day. But, the Bay City Rollers....pllllease! :):)

I hope you don't mind me editing your link a bit because when one clicks at it an error message appears (because of no space between the link and emoticons).

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZI_QnadHTM&feature=related

It was a hit in 1986, too. In fact the entire Peter Gabriel album "So" was very popular here. My favorite track from this album was "Mercy Street" which was written in memory of an American poet Anne Sexton. It made me even more interested in her poetry which I had first read (in translation then) two years before. The lyrics of this beautiful song are related to her poem "45th Mercy Street"

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs35CBGOxbc

Looking down on empty streets, all she can seeAre the dreams all made solidAre the dreams made realAll of the buildings, all of the carsWere once just a dreamIn somebody's headShe pictures the broken glass, pictures the steamShe pictures a soulWith no leak at the seamLet's take the boat outWait until darknessLet's take the boat outAnd wait until darkness comesNowhere in the corridors of pale green and greyNowhere in the suburbsIn the cold light of dayThere in the midst of it so alive and aloneWords support like boneDreaming of Mercy streetWear your inside outDreaming of mercyIn your daddy's arms againDreaming of Mercy streetswear they moved that signDreaming of mercyIn your daddy's armsPulling out the papers from the drawers that slide smoothTugging at the darkness, word upon wordConfessing all the secret things in the warm velvet boxTo the priest - he's the doctorHe can handle all the shocksDreaming of the tenderness - the tremble in the hipsOf kissing Mary's lipsDreaming of Mercy streetWear your inside outDreaming of mercyIn your daddy's arms againDreaming of Mercy streetswear they moved that signLooking for mercyIn your daddy's armsMercy, mercy, looking for mercyMercy, mercy, looking for mercyAnne, with her father is out in the boatRiding the waterRiding the waves on the sea If anyone is interested in the interpretation of the lyrics, it's worth reading her poem http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/45-mercy-street/ and perhaps also the discussion on the song meaning here: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/74582/ Sorry for this huge off-topic but songs by Peter Gabriel have had a huge impact on my "intellectual development" so to speak :D - for example: this track or "Biko" (we all remember that powerful scene from "Evan") and so many other ones...

Just found this while looking up Jan Hammer by upload date, newest first. I don't know where this goes on this forum, so I stuck it here. This predates Miami Vice by two years.

• 4 weeks later...

Another night slowly closes in, And I feel so lonely. Touching heat freezing on my skin, I pretend you still hold me. I'm going crazy, I'm losing sleep. I'm in too far, I'm in way too deep over you. I can't believe you're gone. You were the first, you'll be the last. Wherever you go, I'll be with you. Whatever you want, I'll give it to you. Whenever you need someone to lay your heart and head upon. Remember: after the fire, after all the rain, I will be the flame. I will be the flame. Watching shadows move across the wall, I feel so frightened. I wanna run to you, I wanna call, But I've been hit by lightening. Just can't stand up for fallin' apart. Can't see through this veil across my heart, over you. You'll always be the one. You were the first, you'll be the last. Wherever you go, I'll be with you. Whatever you want, I'll give it to you. Whenever you need someone to lay your heart and head upon. Remember: after the fire, after all the rain, I will be the flame. I will be the flame. I'm going crazy, I'm losing sleep. I'm in too far, I'm in way too deep over you. You'll always be the one. You were the first, you'll be the last. Wherever you go, I'll be with you. Whatever you want, I'll give it to you. Whenever you need someone to lay your heart and head upon. Remember: after the fire, after all the rain, I will be the flame. I will be the flame. Whatever you want, I'll give it to you. Wherever you go, I'll be with you. And whatever you want, I'll give it to you

Youtube Link. Click ---> hereClose your eyes, give me your hand, darling do you feel my heart beating, do you understand do you feel the same, am I only dreaming is this burning an eternal flame. I believe it's meant to be, darling I watch when you are sleeping, you belong to me do you feel the same, am I only dreaming or is this burning an eternal flame. Say my name, sun shines through the rain a whole life so lonely, and then you come and ease the pain I don't want to lose this feeling. Close your eyes, give me your hand do you feel my heart beating, do you understand do you feel the same, am I only dreaming is this burning an eternal flame ...

If you need a friend,don't look to a stranger,You know in the end,I'll always be there.And when you're in doubt,and when you're in danger,Take a look all around,and I'll be there.I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise)I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise)But if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me,I promise, I promise you I will.When your day is through,and so is your temper,You know what to do,I'm gonna always be there.Sometimes if I shout,it's not what's intended.These words just come out,with no gripe to bear.I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise)I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise)But if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me,I promise, I promise you...I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise)I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise)And if I had to walk the world, that make you fall for me,I promise you, I promise you I will.I gotta tell ya, I need to tell ya, I gotta tell ya, I gotta tell yaaaa ...I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise)I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise)But if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me,I promise you, I promise you...I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say. (I promise)I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be. (I promise)And if I have to walk the world to make you fall for me,I promise you, I promise you I will ...I will...I will...I will...
  • Like 1

Another night slowly closes in' date=' And I feel so lonely. Touching heat freezing on my skin, I pretend you still hold me. I'm going crazy, I'm losing sleep. I'm in too far, I'm in way too deep over you. I can't believe you're gone. You were the first, you'll be the last. [/quote'] Sounds familiar ---name and artist anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Roxette The Look , spiced up a little to a Babewatch, I mean Baywatch clip ;) ;)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett