What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

3 hours ago, AndrewRemington said:

He plays bass guitar like a lead jazz guitar on this one.

Where does this begin in the song? I’m missing it somehow. :birdie:

Great track!

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Great track!

Brian Bromberg is really outstanding for that kind of thing, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Great track!

You know what? I think I misread the album credits. Wes is credited with playing bass guitar on several tracks of the “Movin’ Along” album and I read online he plays bass guitar lead style on the album on some tracks... BUT, according to the credits, he doesn’t play bass guitar on this track. I was definitely thinking the lead guitar could have been done on a bass guitar, some notes maybe too high (I’d have to “finger it out” for myself.) :)

Now on this track, written by Mr. Ivory Jones himself, he is playing bass guitar as the lead instrument.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbie C. said:

Brian Bromberg is really outstanding for that kind of thing, too.

I’ll have to check him out! I play lead guitarish lines on bass from time to time. I mean, honestly, guitar and bass can be pretty interchangeable. Of course, it’s hard to play more than two note chords on a bass guitar. On double bass, it’s hard for me to play any chords due to the scale and fretless-ness.

But really, jazz guitar and jazz bass solos can be pretty similar, it all depends on the writer or player.

In the final week of 2020, Nathan Evans, a 26-year-old Scottish postman and aspiring musician, shared a video of himself on TikTok, singing a sea shanty called “Soon May the Wellerman Come.” He wasn’t expecting anything to happen, but the app has a way of turning dusty esoterica into viral gold.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/13/style/sea-shanty-tiktok-wellerman.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite Ozzy tunes, mainly because of Jake E. Lee's playing.  I've never been able to play much of Jake's stuff on guitar, at least to the point it sounds good. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

One of my favorite Ozzy tunes, mainly because of Jake E. Lee's playing.  I've never been able to play much of Jake's stuff on guitar, at least to the point it sounds good. 

No one really can. He's a very unique and gifted player. One of the best in my view.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:02 AM, Dadrian said:

I always come back to this. I honestly can’t think of anything better: 

Love this 

Funny Dadrian posted the above - I wanted to post this from 1994s “Streets of Philadelphia” movie - this Gabriel number sure has a Vice vibe about it.

• Like 1