What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

On 12/21/2021 at 8:22 AM, Augusta said:

Godley and Creme.
I know someone must have posted it already.  But I'm not kidding, it's the Christmas week, NYC is flaming mad about the covid return (...a return that WE caused through our own poor habits, so can't blame anyone but ourselves), and now the streets are plagued with some of the worst, reckless, out-where-the-buses-don't-stop desperate drivers you can ever see.  Can't pick and settle on a lane, can't signal, changed their mind, don't really want to change lanes, sitting on the car horn with both butt cheeks....ENOUGH already!
The street was safer when it was fully congested---at least then you couldn't get hit by a car doing more than 8 mph.  But this week so many are on vacation (or got delta-covid), that the expressways are kinda light, and therefore wild with loose coconuts.  I almost lost my temper with a few of those nuts last night.  
I thought maybe I should stay home this morning so I won't lose my cool and get arrested for beating one of these guys over the head with his own spare tire.
But I had an mp3 of "Cry" in the car that someone gave me 4 years ago. Just played it in a loop for the whole morning drive, at medium to low volume.
No Joke, it had me cruising smoothly down the expressway like Tubbs' caddie in the sunshine (I drive at 5am in the pitch black NY morning), and it got me all the way to the office without a single lost temper, or a single angry twist of the steering wheel.  
...Gee, I miss Miami Vice.;(

I agree about the bad driving; it looks pretty ugly to me in North Florida, and I see a lot of that portion of the state. As for "Cry": as much as I love 10cc "I'm not in Love" (that's a lie by me: as the Pet Shop Boys once sang, "I came here looking for money, got to have it, and end up leaving with love"), "Cry" is something else entirely. I feel the song (and music video; what creativity:radio::dance:!) is amazing on its own, but I think the final few minutes of 'Definitely Miami" take the song to another level and provide another layer for an already meaningful song.

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
extra unnecessary word

The parts with the steel drum-like sounds reminds me of Crockett chasing Eddie and Louis through the airport in the beginning of "Milk Run".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see: Big Country's "In a Big Country", Adam & The Ants "Stand & Deliver", The Cure "Just Like Heaven" (my young friend & co-worker Cortlan was surprised I knew "Friday I'm in love". I have no idea why he'd be surprised by anything I do at this point:)) , The Police "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"( =)), The Smiths "Some Girls are Bigger Than Others", and, thanks to jpaul1 for bringing her up, Sheena Easton's "For Your Eyes Only". Love & writing isn't quite the same as Love & Rockets, but it's music to my ears just the same:D.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

The Police "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic"

Ghost in the Machine is such a great album!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OCBman said:

Ghost in the Machine is such a great album!

I completely agree with you; The Police really had their structure down cold, didn't they?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AndrewRemington said:

I love that minimalist, digital art.

I'm with you there, simple (yet I think still interesting) choice by The Police there; that's why I hired Gina from South Philly to decorate my room, minimalist style (I played the soundtrack to the film "Staying Alive" while she did that; she loved it! I almost went art deco, but that bugger Mosca convinced me differently, and I didn't want to get the hook!).

• Haha 1

I don’t think there is a better guitar sound than in “Walking on the Moon.” Just perfection. I think what makes the song so great is the space between the guitar and bass. The space gives beauty. It seems most songs have the guitar and bass playing notes constantly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AndrewRemington said:

I don’t think there is a better guitar sound than in “Walking on the Moon.” Just perfection. I think what makes the song so great is the space between the guitar and bass. The space gives beauty. It seems most songs have the guitar and bass playing notes constantly.

It's a sound that I think would play well at a coffee bar, and I totally agree with the space in between (it's a song that I think creates a great musical space in general). I also feel the entire song is an absolute treat on at least 5 or 6 different levels (I find the lyrics to have a sense of curiosity, innocence, and whimsey as well).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the chorus of this song brings back even one memory from your life, you know everything you need to know about me :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

something to warm up your February. modern edit of a song from 1985, the original only has one upload on YouTube with 7k views in ten years. The artwork is especially good and suits it.

sulmare.jpeg.7cfdc9ea18ba1e85d66a5798b56360be.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Marc said:

1987, high energy synths. the part from 4:45 to the end is pretty great.

@Marc for some reason this music made me think of a track from a PS1 video game called “Ridge Racer Revolution” (1993). Idk who made it, but the synth and guitar solos are amazing! Check it out:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1