Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

On 4/27/2019 at 7:01 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I’m in the middle of one of my favorite film noirs—Bogie and Bacall’s Dark Passage. This is my 2nd favorite of the 4 films the real-life husband and wife screen-team did together...my all-time favorite being The Big Sleep

Dark Passage was a revolutionary film in the fact that it was one of the first movies to not show the face of one of its main stars (Bogie) until halfway through—showing everything through his eyes & point of view. This was because Bogart’s character had escaped prison for a murder he didn’t commit & wanted to prove his innocence. He ultimately has to have plastic surgery (which for 1947 I’d of thought was a fairly new thing), and the new face we finally see is of course Bogie. 

Warner Bros was pissed at first because their main star isn’t shown until halfway through...but there was nothing they could do about it, lol, and ultimately it’s an awesome flick! Amazing cinematography & 1940s San Francisco locations, superb plot & not just another 40s gangster movie, captivating plot-twists, intrigue, action, expertly directed, and powerful performances by both Bogie and Bacall! 

If you like older movies and/or noir that rely on fascinating plots and actual acting by the actors, and not tons of special effects, CGI, and bizarre sci-fi...then I highly recommend this film (as well as all of the Bogie and Bacall movies for that matter)! :thumbsup:

FDC2797E-509B-498B-9B19-D274F9C0BDCD.jpeg

46BDAA49-0EEC-4A7B-9CAD-AF01A4A6EECA.jpeg

46A4956E-08A7-46A6-A13D-980B3468D75D.jpeg

Don't forget Key Largo!

What do you think about the neo-noir films, The Long Goodbye and Marlowe?

Of course Chinatown is a classic and LA Confidential pretty close to it.

I also found this:

Among big-budget auteurs, Michael Mann has worked frequently in a neo-noir mode, with such films as Thief (1981) and Heat (1995) and the TV series Miami Vice (1984–89) and Crime Story (1986–88). Mann's output exemplifies a primary strain of neo-noir, in which classic themes and tropes are revisited in a contemporary setting with an up-to-date visual style and rock-based musical soundtrack.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’m in the middle of one of my favorite film noirs—Bogie and Bacall’s Dark Passage. This is my 2nd favorite of the 4 films the real-life husband and wife screen-team did together...my all-time favorite being The Big Sleep

Dark Passage was a revolutionary film in the fact that it was one of the first movies to not show the face of one of its main stars (Bogie) until halfway through—showing everything through his eyes & point of view. This was because Bogart’s character had escaped prison for a murder he didn’t commit & wanted to prove his innocence. He ultimately has to have plastic surgery (which for 1947 I’d of thought was a fairly new thing), and the new face we finally see is of course Bogie. 

Warner Bros was pissed at first because their main star isn’t shown until halfway through...but there was nothing they could do about it, lol, and ultimately it’s an awesome flick! Amazing cinematography & 1940s San Francisco locations, superb plot & not just another 40s gangster movie, captivating plot-twists, intrigue, action, expertly directed, and powerful performances by both Bogie and Bacall! 

If you like older movies and/or noir that rely on fascinating plots and actual acting by the actors, and not tons of special effects, CGI, and bizarre sci-fi...then I highly recommend this film (as well as all of the Bogie and Bacall movies for that matter)! :thumbsup:

FDC2797E-509B-498B-9B19-D274F9C0BDCD.jpeg

46BDAA49-0EEC-4A7B-9CAD-AF01A4A6EECA.jpeg

46A4956E-08A7-46A6-A13D-980B3468D75D.jpeg

This movie sounds awesome and I can't believe I never heard of it before ! Thanks MVF for introduducing us to this classic. I will definitely look for it now.

One I might recommend to you is "The Third Man" a classic post WWII thriller with Orsen Wells and Joseph Cotton. Crazy zither music all through the film but it adds ambience and drama too the plot. Good story line too!

• Like 2

Dark Passage while not my favorite of the Bogie & Bacall canon (that would be The Big Sleep) is a very solid and nowadays lesser known Noir. Agnes Moorehead was particularly great in it  with the right amount of nastiness. For another film that used 1st person check out the Marlowe adaptation Lady in the Lake with Robert Montgomery  which came out the year before. The entire film is from Marlowe's first-person perspective and while it's not as strong as other adaptation like the mentioned Big Sleep or Altman's The Long Goodbye is still a very solid and interesting Noir film that also has a good performance from Lloyd Nolan who was most famous for later playing the P.I. Mike Shayne.

Sin City (2005)

Speaking of Noir despite being out for a decade now I did get around to seeing this film in it's entirety. I kind of feel mixed on it. While the art style is great I never felt the movie really clicked for me. Bruce Willis and Powers Boothe were the strongest parts of the film for me but the latter wasn't in it too much. It had parts I liked plus familiar and welcome faces like Michael Madsen and Rutger Hauer in smaller roles but I never really felt too engaged by it all for some reason despite ....

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (2014)

Watching the sequel right after it and finding I actually liked it better despite it's reputation. Something felt more cohesive here or at least something about it engaged me more. Powers Boothe got a lot more screentime here and put in an excellent performance as the corrupt Senator (given this was his last movie he starred in before he passed away I'm glad he had something strong and memorable for a final big screen role) and Josh Brolin is always a welcome presence. His segment made up the bulk of the film and while it is on paper fairly standard Noir/Femme Fatale fare it was put together pretty well. Eva Green is quite good here to as she usually is and was a perfect fit for a Femme Fatale. The segment is a prequel to Clive Owen's part in the previous film who played the same character Brolin played but I liked this segment better overall. Also liked the final segment that and thought it wrapped things up pretty well.

• Like 2

I actually enjoyed John Wick quite a bit more than I thought I would. Good action, solid noir style camera and lighting stuff, and a deep roster of guest/cameo appearances you don't necessarily expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

Don't forget Key Largo!

What do you think about the neo-noir films, The Long Goodbye and Marlowe?

Of course Chinatown is a classic and LA Confidential pretty close to it.

I also found this:

Among big-budget auteurs, Michael Mann has worked frequently in a neo-noir mode, with such films as Thief (1981) and Heat (1995) and the TV series Miami Vice (1984–89) and Crime Story (1986–88). Mann's output exemplifies a primary strain of neo-noir, in which classic themes and tropes are revisited in a contemporary setting with an up-to-date visual style and rock or-based musical soundtrack.

I love Bogie and Bacall, and of course have all their films! However, I’ll be honest and say Key Largo is my least favorite of the 4. It had a powerhouse cast (along with B&B), but it just came across as your stereotypical 40s gangster movie to me...I don’t know, it just wasn’t that great of a film, in my opinion. 

I don’t really care for Chinatown much, but love L.A. Confidential!! It is a much better contemporary neo-noir classic...have not watched it in several years. I think it’s about time to get it out! :thumbsup: 

It’s known that Michael Mann purposely made MV as a modern neo-noir series at the time...and did a superb job!! :clap: It’s MTV noir! ;) 

54 minutes ago, agent 47 said:

Dark Passage while not my favorite of the Bogie & Bacall canon (that would be The Big Sleep) is a very solid and nowadays lesser known Noir. Agnes Moorehead was particularly great in it  with the right amount of nastiness. For another film that used 1st person check out the Marlowe adaptation Lady in the Lake with Robert Montgomery  which came out the year before. The entire film is from Marlowe's first-person perspective and while it's not as strong as other adaptation like the mentioned Big Sleep or Altman's The Long Goodbye is still a very solid and interesting Noir film that also has a good performance from Lloyd Nolan who was most famous for later playing the P.I. Mike Shayne.

The Big Sleep is my favorite of Bogie & Bacall...Dark Passage is my 2nd favorite. It was not as well known when it first came out, but over years and time it’s popularity grew, and now, for most noir fans, it’s very well known and usually a favorite. Agnes Moorehead was amazing! 

The Lady in the Lake did use the 1st person point of view the year before “Dark”...but Warner Bros made such a stink about it at first for “Dark”, that it actually seemed to help the film in the long run, lol. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven’t already, everyone here should see this movie:

I don’t how I made it this long without seeing it, but we watched it last night and I was just blown away. Great story, great performances, and REALLY great soundtrack!

The Hidden (1987)

A fast-paced thriller that blends together aliens, sci-fi, horror, black humor, car chases and action picture thrills.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I had to convince my wife to travel to Las Vegas to see the new Godzilla film.  I have been a fan of of this franchise since I was a child of the 1960s.  We both enjoyed the 2014 film so I just had to watch the sequel.  Let me tell you it was worth the 60 mile drive!!  We watched it on IMAX and she held my left hand throughout the film. She had several scares and tightened her grip.  She had just as much FUN as I did.  This movie is an all out wrestling match of giant beasts.  Actor Ken Watanabe just like the last movie had the best lines.  The real villain of this film surprised me. But it is the battles scenes that are truly fantastic. Hearing the original Godzilla theme music from 1954 brought happy chills up my spine.  Cheering on the King of the Monsters in the final battle scenes, I felt like I was rooting for Rocky Balboa.  I know this is not a film for everyone but I don't see how lifetime fans of the Godzilla universe cannot enjoy this film.  My wife and I give it 5 stars.  She now feels the Kong versus Godzilla film scheduled to be released next year that Kong doesn't have a chance of winning and she will be cheering on Kong. 

godzilla.png.1a9f624144193ce3ef564a2957c45b0e.png

• Like 1

Speaking of Bogie and Bacall, To Have and Have Not is one of my all time favorite films.  During its filming Bogie met and fell for Bacall, divorced his current wife etc.  I understand why.  :happy:

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, RedDragon86 said:

The Hidden (1987)

A fast-paced thriller that blends together aliens, sci-fi, horror, black humor, car chases and action picture thrills.

Underrated Scfi/action gem.

The sequel is hot garbage.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

been watching last blood yesterday. pure Rambo. 100% action, 0% dept lol. not a bad movie. even though sometimes it's not far from being trash. J. Rambo is angry like never, and you'd better not mess with him. actually Rambo is a badly damaged human. and sometimes makes me think of a tamed animal, struggling with himself to find back the very last humanity remaining in him. but by far the darkest of the series. not recommended to very young kids IMO

Edited by jpaul1

• 3 weeks later...

It's Ghostober time again so my wife and I enjoy watching as many scary movies as we can before tuning in to Christmas films. Most recent of the films was The Shining (1980).  Jack Nicholson gives an outstanding performance as a family man slowly going murderously insane.  Base upon the book written by Stephen King this is a terrifyingly enjoyable movie. Even though the author famously hated the change in the ending as compared to his book, this movie is far and above better than the remake which did follow the book more closely. 

The other movie we just watched tonight was a film I accidently discovered at my local video rental store.  It is The House of the Devil (2009).  This is another film with a slow buildup of the tension before the payoff.  We both give it a thumbs up for viewing. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

It's Ghostober time again so my wife and I enjoy watching as many scary movies as we can before tuning in to Christmas films. Most recent of the films was The Shining (1980).  Jack Nicholson gives an outstanding performance as a family man slowly going murderously insane.  Base upon the book written by Stephen King this is a terrifyingly enjoyable movie. Even though the author famously hated the change in the ending as compared to his book, this movie is far and above better than the remake which did follow the book more closely. 

The other movie we just watched tonight was a film I accidently discovered at my local video rental store.  It is The House of the Devil (2009).  This is another film with a slow buildup of the tension before the payoff.  We both give it a thumbs up for viewing. 

King disliked the adjustments Kubrick made because imo he secretly thinks he improved the story massively. The girl twins for example were not even in the book and the famous photo at they end of Jack isn't either. 

Edited by RedDragon86

7 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I just watched The Shining last night after many years.  I forgot how good this movie really is.  One of my favorite scenes is in the ball room where Jack at first talks to just the bartender and then comes back later when there is a full party going on.  I just love the facial expressions and mannerisms of Jack as he begins his descent into madness.  The conversation with the former caretaker in the red and white bathroom is so good.

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

King disliked the adjustments Kubrick made because imo he secretly thinks he improved the story massively. The girl twins for example were not even in the book and the famous photo at they end of Jack isn't either. 

I did not know that King thought the story was improved by Kubrick.  Thanks for the info. 

11 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I’ll be honest  and say I did not really ever care for Jack Nicholson’s The ShiningI found it kind of boring, Nicholson kind of “drags” along, and Shelley Duvall was weird and bizarre. Stephen King himself felt this version was inferior to his book, and did not really ever care for it. 

The 1997 remake with Steven Weber was much better (in my opinion), more true to the novel, much freakier, and King himself was involved with production & felt it was a much better version. But to each his or her own. ;)

I know the sequel novel King wrote (Dr. Sleep) is now a movie coming out next month...about Danny as an adult & still dealing with “the shining” ability. This movie does refer back to the original Nicholson 1980 version, so I will probably watch the Nicholson one again soon (although I don’t care for it) to get myself re-aquatinted with that movie, so I can fully understand Dr. Sleep—as I plan to go see it. I’ve never read the “Sleep” novel, so I don’t really know exactly what’s entailed in it. ?( Guess I’ll find out. 

3 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I did not know that King thought the story was improved by Kubrick.  Thanks for the info. 

Lol :) you’re correct...King did not think the Kubrick movie (the Nicholson version) was an “improvement” of his novel...he felt it was inferior to the book and not a good version! ;) I happen to agree. But this new Dr. Sleep movie, based on King’s sequel novel of the same name, refers back to the Kubrick movie...so right now, they’re trying to “play” that original movie back up. :rolleyes:

As I stated before above, King felt the 1997 The Shining remake was a much better version and more true to the novel. He  himself was also involved in the production of it. I agree and enjoy that version much better, however I probably will watch the Nicholson version again soon before going to the “Sleep” movie next month. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

The scene with the old woman in the bathroom in Kubrick's Shining is so disgusting it makes me want to puke and it ruins the whole movie for me.

Halloween night and the wife and I are enjoying a night of scares watching TCM.  Started with Bride of Frankenstein, The Devil-Doll and House of Usher.   Up next is my wife's all time favorite the Pit and the Pendulum.   Happy Halloween everyone!!!

"Once upon a Time in Hollywood"...the weirdest stuff I think I've ever watched but great acting by Leo and Brad as always. I also liked how they recreated the look and feel of the era.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and oh my god it's a f'ing masterpiece!

Great acting by all, great casting with actors for Sharon Tate, Steve McQueen, there were even some which were just background and you thought it was those actors or musicians because it was so well done. Like in the beginning there's a fat girl, and they didn't mention any names but you just knew that was supposed to be Mama Cass.

The atmosphere was really well done with the fashion, the music, the way the radio itself was a character in the movie really helps the immersion and atmosphere, makes you feel like you're a part of it. The movie itself is a great time piece of life in the late 60s and pop culture and the Hollywood industry, but it's also hilarious at times and unexpected (Line?). I wish I could discuss the movie here more but I don't want to spoil anything. 

Leo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt were great together, great chemistry, I feel like Brad Pitt was far cooler though and the movie was really about his character Cliff. This is one of Tarantino's best movies in my opinion, and if you haven't seen it you absolutely must watch it. (Though I might be a little biased because the 60s is my favourite era)

We've been spoilt this year with Joker, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Irishman... That's 3 masterpieces. We never get 3 masterpieces. The holy trinity of 2019 movies. 2019 was really a great year for movies and movie events. The Oscars are going to have their hands full. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, James said:

I finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and oh my god it's a f'ing masterpiece!

Great acting by all, great casting with actors for Sharon Tate, Steve McQueen, there were even some which were just background and you thought it was those actors or musicians because it was so well done. Like in the beginning there's a fat girl, and they didn't mention any times but you just knew that was supposed to be Mama Cass.

The atmosphere was really well done with the fashion, the music, the way the radio itself was a character in the movie really helps the immersion and atmosphere, makes you feel like you're a part of it. The movie itself is a great time piece of life in the late 60s and pop culture and the Hollywood industry, but it's also hilarious at times and unexpected (Line?). I wish I could discuss the movie here more but I don't want to spoil anything. 

Leo Di Caprio and Brad Pitt were great together, great chemistry, I feel like Brad Pitt was far cooler though and the movie was really about his character Cliff. This is one of Tarantino's best movies in my opinion, and if you haven't seen it you absolutely must watch it. (Though I might be a little biased because the 60s is my favourite era)

Very well put, James. I can only second your review and encourage everyone to watch the movie.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

We watched Taxi Driver on Netflix last night. It’s been so long since I’ve seen it, it was almost like I’d never seen it. Such a great film. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 2