Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I can't stand the superhero movies now, To be honest the film industry has been going downhill for years with the exception of a great film here and there, namely "There will be Blood" No Country For Old Men" and "The Pianist" just to name a few examples. As for the superhero films there has only two that I have enjoyed and they were Batman 1989 and Superman the original.

I fully agree about the superhero movies...they’re ridiculous and way too overdone! My favorites are also the 1989 Batman & the 1978 Superman! :thumbsup: I also liked the original 2002 Spider-Man with Tobey MaGuire. They had depth & substance with plot and the characters. You could relate to and/or understand them. Now it’s all just how much CGI and special effects can we shove in one movie. :evil: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I just cant get into the current superhero world.  I enjoyed the first Ironman, but that's the last one I really remember.  Before that....probably The Punisher with Thomas Jane.  Although I do have a warm spot in my heart for the Dolph Lundgren Punisher.

• Like 1

I re-watched Minority Report for the first time since seeing in at the cinema, which was about 17 years ago. I think this might be Spielberg best work,  he follows up his brilliant A.I. with another brilliantly dark and brooding inventive futuristic sci-fi thriller. At this point he was starting to take on the mantle of Stanley Kubrick, as he is looking more like this country’s next resident film genius instead of the purveyor of pop culture some might have thought he would never let go of.

I give this an A rating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I re-watched Minority Report for the first time since seeing in at the cinema, which was about 17 years ago. I think this might be Spielberg best work,  he follows up his brilliant A.I. with another brilliantly dark and brooding inventive futuristic sci-fi thriller. At this point he was starting to take on the mantle of Stanley Kubrick, as he is looking more like this country’s next resident film genius instead of the purveyor of pop culture some might have thought he would never let go of.

I give this an A rating.

I was thinking about this movie the other day. I love it so much. Just amazing from every aspect. 

• Like 1

been enjoying Moonraker with Moore recently. a very good JB. and that Roger Moore is growing each time a little bit more on my 'bondesque' ladder. a really good Bond interpreter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jpaul1 said:

been enjoying Moonraker with Moore recently. a very good JB. and that Roger Moore is growing each time a little bit more on my 'bondesque' ladder. a really good Bond interpreter

I love Moonraker...and I love Roger Moore as 007! He is actually my favorite Bond, with Sean Connery as my 2nd, & Pierce Brosnan as my 3rd favorite. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen this film recently on youtube and enjoyed it, although the video quality (?) is quite low.

And I was very surprised. This film is just 8 years older than MV (1976 vs.1984). But it looked like ages, both, the film itself (looked much more older) and Don Johnson (looked uncredible young).

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes They Come Back (1991) Based on a short story by Stephen King.

Watched this for the time last night in Netflix. So impressed by this, its a hidden gem.

B+

I finally saw The Room in it's entirety. I also watched The Disaster Artist soon after. The Room is...what we all know it is, and as a connoisseur of so-bad-it's-good movies or so-bad-it's-hilarious movies, The Room is definitely hilarious. The Disaster Artist, however, I think is a hell of a film with a great performance by James Franco. If you thought Wiseau was just a joke, you really get a sense of the full human being from this film. Plus you can tell a lot of the actors were really enthused about being a part of this film (including Melanie Griffith). I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 9:19 PM, Bren10 said:

This explains my POV pretty well.

I admit I might have went over board saying it's one of the worst films ever made, it's OK but for a great filmmaker like Scorsese its poor, by his standards anyway.

I just think that another mob film was unnecessary, he even said himself 10-12 years ago in an interview that he was done with making mafia films and he was moving onto making crime films like The Departed, Michael Mann sort of crime films.  

• Like 1

The film is more of a character study with the mafia in it than it is a "mafia movie". If you try looking at it that way, as I believe Scorcese and Deniro did, then it might improve in your eyes. If not, that's fine.

46 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

The film is more of a character study with the mafia in it than it is a "mafia movie". If you try looking at it that way, as I believe Scorcese and Deniro did, then it might improve in your eyes. If not, that's fine.

I realize this, you could say the same thing (character study) about Goodfellas, how Hill copes with the pressure of the mob life around him. Especially in Taxi Driver as well.

I tried looking at it that way just didn't find as interesting or as good as his previous films, in my opinion they should have cast somebody else because De Niro's performance was not convincing at all.

I love film noir...and tonight I’m once again enjoying one of my favorites, however somewhat lesser known for some reason, of the genre & time...The Blue Dahlia (1946)! This was the 3rd of the 4 Ladd & Lake films. Starring Alan Ladd & Veronica Lake, this 40s gem has Ladd returning after WWII but suddenly being framed for the murder of his alcoholic, despicable & cheating wife (in a drunken rage she even laughs about killing their son in an automobile accident because she was drunk, while he was still over seas in the war). Lake is the estranged wife of a gangster-night club owner (who was originally in an affair with Ladd’s “alchy” wife) but Lake of course ends up falling for Ladd, and wants to help prove his innocence. I wish more movies could be made today that didn’t solely rely on the bizarre, special-effects & CGI...and were more about plot, acting, and the chemistry of the actors together!

9842A4E7-580C-4306-9757-9EDC4A12CC1B.jpeg

D3374CD2-0F2D-47C3-8A80-D20006C83384.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan

All I know is if I hear another Noir femme running around wailing "Johnny!" in a high-pitched voice I'm going to put knitting needles through my eardrums. Too damned many Johnnys in those movies. In Living Color had a couple of fantastic skits about that as I recall.

IMO Noir is like any other genre. When it's good it's VERY good, but when it's bad... And there were lots of imitators out there during that period.

13 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

All I know is if I hear another Noir femme running around wailing "Johnny!" in a high-pitched voice I'm going to put knitting needles through my eardrums. Too damned many Johnnys in those movies. In Living Color had a couple of fantastic skits about that as I recall.

IMO Noir is like any other genre. When it's good it's VERY good, but when it's bad... And there were lots of imitators out there during that period.

You have to watch those movies with the time period they were made in mind...don’t try and view them with a 2020 mindset. This one does have a “Johnny”, but believe it or not, not all 40s-50s noir has someone with that name.  ;) But if you don’t like a certain genre, then yeah you probably won’t like too many of its movies.

Every genre has good & bad movies, this is true. But, in my opinion this is a good & “fun” one to watch. :thumbsup: If you don’t like noir, or black & white movies, then it’s probably not for you. 

I have watched them with the timeframe in mind. And I've seen quite a few of them. That just happens to be something of a trademark with some of them. Often the bad ones that are trying to capitalize on the trend. Like I said before, when Noir is good it is VERY good.

6 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

In a fit of boredom last night I found the Police Academy movies on Netflix, so I randomly picked part 4 "Citizens on Patrol".  Long live Guttenberg!!

I watched that the other night. It was memory lane!

• Like 1

Just watched the last of three parts of a History Channel production called Washington.  It was about George Washington's life from a young new officer serving the British King through his life leading the young United States to independence to our first President to his death.  I loved every history class during my school days and I enjoyed watching this with my wife.  I learned a  lot about him I never knew.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Recently I’ve been going through the James Bond 007 movies again...most I haven’t seen in years! Tonight I am watching For Your Eyes Only (1981), with Roger Moore as 007. I love 007 period, but there’s something about Roger Moore’s Bonds, that I throughly enjoy! As I’m sure most here remember and/or know, Sheena Easton (MV’s Caitlyn Davies) sang the main title song for this 007 flick, and was featured some during the opening montage while singing it. On to 007... :cheers:

251E8404-8393-4A01-8E9D-0954EDD039C8.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan

9 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Recently I’ve been going through the James Bond 007 movies again...most I haven’t seen in years! Tonight I am watching For Your Eyes Only (1981), with Roger Moore as 007. I love 007 period, but there’s something about Roger Moore’s Bonds, that I throughly enjoy! As I’m sure most here remember and/or know, Sheena Easton (MV’s Caitlyn Davies) sang the main title song for this 007 flick, and was featured some during the opening montage while singing it. On to 007... :cheers:

251E8404-8393-4A01-8E9D-0954EDD039C8.jpeg

I love this film 

• Like 1