The worst episode?

chum981

See I completely see it as reverse. Despite the lack of the Vice squad' date=' Leap of Faith at least attempted to BE an episode. Is it weak? Oh yeah, it's the turkey of Season 5, Miracle Man included. And yes it was an obvious attempt to lift the 21 Jump Street premise of "kid cops", and yes Leap of Faith was lacking in a Johnny Depp, Peter DeLuise, Holly Robinson, Steven Williams - SOLID - type of cast. But it still wasn't THAT bad. Justin Lazard was okay, the lead "old guy" picked up the slack, and Keith Gordon was a great bad guy of the week. It just missed the mark, plus I think by the time the audience gets to Leap of Faith in the series (the next-to-next-to last episode), we were kind of tired like Crockett & Tubbs and aching for closure by that point. THAT is why I think Leap of Faith takes it hard from the fans.I'd take Leap of Faith ANY DAY over episodes like The Dutch Oven, Junk Love, Heroes of the Revolution, Missing Hours... those were the worst.I leave out episodes like The Big Thaw or The Cows of October, because they were obvious "escapist"/"comedy" episodes, that were totally tongue-in-cheek, and a lighter moment for the week, so they get a complete pass.The problem with Missing Hours, and why I consider it the definitive worst episode of the series, was because it relied on ALL the WRONG things. It screwed everything up. It had nothing to do with aliens in Miami. You get Chris Rock as a guest star... and you WASTE IT by having Chris freaking Rock play it serious? What? You get James Brown, who's shining acting achievement is The Blues Brothers, and you play it straight and serious? He ALSO should've been used for laughs. You having Izzy and a SHOCKING return of NOOGIE in the opening, and they are completely blown off and gone by the opening episode titles following the intro. What?If all of those elements had been implemented in Missing Hours, it would've came across as a 'comedy-based' episode like the rest, and no one would've taken it seriously, SO it could be enjoyed for what it is, especially if the Noogie & Izzy & Chris Rock element had been turned WAY UP.Instead they tried to make it a Halloween episode, with some sci-fi, some comedy, some seriousness, some drama, some thriller, some psychological, some crime drama... in other words - Clusterf**k 1987.Miracle Man is underrated. Not a great episode, and among the weakest in Season 5, but not nearly as bad as it's reputed to be. Really the last "Izzy" episode in the series, and I respect it on that level.[/quote'] Was Missing Hours the Halloween episode for Season 4? If so, then that is a shame, considering just one year earlier the Halloween Vice episode was the intensely brilliant Shadow in the Dark ...

• 8 months later...

"The Big Thaw" and "Missing Hours".I also didn't like the "Honor Among Thieves?" and "Amen... Send Money" episodes.But "Missing Hours" is propably the worst ever with almost shared place with "The Big Thaw".I actually dont think that "The Cows of October" was THAT BAD :D

• 1 month later...

This was more difficult than choosing my favorite episodes because honestly there seemed to be so many bad ones in the final two seasons. So for fairness sake I'm going to pick my least favorite epi from each season since I don't think I can compare later episodes to the first two seasons.Season 1 The Maze (the writing went nowhere for me)Season 2 Florence, Italy (started out so strong then went all to hell)Season 3 Viking Bikers from Hell (I thought it was totally bizarre)Season 4 Missing Hours (I find it unwatchable)Season 5 The Cell Within (couldn't finish it)There's such a strange disconnect with the writing of these episodes and many more from Season 5. A lot of the premises for those Season 5 episodes are actually pretty good, but the execution--script, direction, set design, lighting, is just so far off it's hard for me to believe its the same show.

• 5 months later...

The worst episode ?After some considerable thought, I would have to say that the worst episode would be a tie with "Afternoon Plane" and "Missing Hours". I do not watch these episodes if I can possibly avoid them!

After some considerable thought' date=' I would have to say that the worst episode would be a tie with "Afternoon Plane" and "Missing Hours". I do not watch these episodes if I can possibly avoid them![/quote']"Afternoon Plane" may not be the most exciting or memorable episode, but it's still a good one for that season...mainly because it finally ended the whole "Calderone Saga" and Tubbs gets to have his revenge. I also liked Tubbs' girlfriend in this one ;) (I could not stand Pam Grier as "Valerie" :evil: ). It was also the same girl who was the "femme fatale" for Tubbs in the earlier episode "The Great McCarthy".The WORST episode is definitely "Missing Hours"!! :thumbsdown: The only other episode so stupid, and pathetic, that is not really worth watching (once you've seen it at least once) is "Cows of October". Those are the only two episodes that I usually skip when going through the series.

I would have to say Missing Hours and after that, propably The Big Thaw.I dont think that The Cows of October was that bad. :D

• 1 year later...

MV has some great episodes but there are quite a lot where i think i'd rather jump off a bridge than watch again:eek:Nearly every episode in season 4-5 are dog crap. There must be 40 or so eps in those combined so the chances are their going to make atleast few good ones.If you're a new viewer, skip everything except Death & the Lady, Child's Play, God's Work & Baseballs of death..Once you watch the burnett saga, the rest of Season 5 eps to freefall.

MV has some great episodes but there are quite a lot where i think i'd rather jump off a bridge than watch again:eek:Nearly every episode in season 4-5 are dog crap. There must be 40 or so eps in those combined so the chances are their going to make atleast few good ones.If you're a new viewer' date=' skip everything except Death & the Lady, Child's Play, God's Work & Baseballs of death..Once you watch the burnett saga, the rest of Season 5 eps to freefall.[/quote']Any viewer, new or a long-time fan, should watch the entire series at least once through. Then he or she can decide what episodes are the worst ones...or "dog crap". ;)However, I think the majority of fans for "MV" can mostly agree, that the only episodes that are truly the worst ones (aka dog crap) are "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October". The rest are still either superb or definitely worth watching...at least once. :thumbsup:

. Then he or she can decide what episodes are the worst ones...or "dog crap". ;)However, I think the majority of fans for "MV" can mostly agree, that the only episodes that are truly the worst ones (aka dog crap) are "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October". The rest are still either superb or definitely worth watching...at least once. :thumbsup:

Amen send moneyThe big thawmissing hourslike a hurricaneRising sun of turdVote of confidenceHonor among thievesindian warshell hath no fury..bullet for crockettetc..yeh..not worth watching once..or you'll want your time back that you wasted on that trite.

Amen send moneyThe big thawmissing hourslike a hurricaneRising sun of turdVote of confidenceHonor among thievesindian warshell hath no fury..bullet for crockettetc..yeh..not worth watching once..or you'll want your time back that you wasted on that trite.

Strange youve listed some great episodes there :D

"Like a Hurricane"' date=' "Vote of Confidence", "Honor Among Theives", "Hell Hath No Fury", and "A Bullet for Crockett" are all awesome episodes! :thumbsup: "Amen, Send Money", "The Big Thaw", "Rising Sun of Death", and "Indian Wars" were not as good as those others...but still worth watching.The only episode that was garbage and is the worst episode of the entire series ([u']opinion held by almost all fans) was "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown: "Cows of October" comes in second on that. :sick:

opinion held by almost all fans) was "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown: "Cows of October" comes in second on that. :sick:

I obviously disagree, sometimes the minority are right..& to be honest you'll be hard pressed to find someone who thinks those episodes in S4 are above mediocre, let alone "awesome".Season 1 is the strongest season & it deserves the kudos it gets. Season 2's highs surpass everything we've seen so far but the failures are..just awful..and there are a bunch of them.Season 3 still has some great stuff but even more bad ones. Then in Season 4 & 5 you're playing find the needle in the haystack, in the murky abyss of vice. You'll find the poll averages corroborate what i'm saying if you need your majority opinion.:thumbsup:I don't know what a "true fan" is, but i enjoy the show deeply and am not embarassed to admit sometimes they try & get it wrong..and in later seasons it feels like they arn't even trying at all.
  • Like 1

No Seasons 1-5 is awesome . Season 5 is a lot darker and a grittier but this was late 1988-1989 the show was nowhere near as "fluffy" as Season 1. :D

No Seasons 1-5 is awesome . Season 5 is a lot darker and a grittier but this was late 1988-1989 the show was nowhere near as "fluffy" as Season 1. :D

Agree. I was scanning the glossary the other day and noticed that these episodes were mostly filmed back to back to back etc. The difficulty of producing all these episodes one after the other and coming up with good scripts every time for 5 years should be taken into consideration when criticizing one or two episodes. The logistics, coordination, acting etc etc must have been difficult to say the least. All TV series deal with the same issues but Vice was filmed not just in a studio but mainly outdoors or on location in a major city that had serious problems. Don't forget the heat or the language issue either. Overall I think the Vice crew did a great job.

Agree. I was scanning the glossary the other day and noticed that these episodes were mostly filmed back to back to back etc. The difficulty of producing all these episodes one after the other and coming up with good scripts every time for 5 years should be taken into consideration when criticizing one or two episodes. The logistics' date=' coordination, acting etc etc must have been difficult to say the least. All TV series deal with the same issues but Vice was filmed not just in a studio but mainly outdoors or on location in a major city that had serious problems. Don't forget the heat or the language issue either. Overall I think the Vice crew did a great job.[/quote']Good points Jim - MVs ratings had fell by Season 5 but credit to the show's forerunners for moving the show in a different gritty direction - I mean you could feel DJ as Sonny was burnt out . Late 1988 was a different time to 1984/1985 and there was a general movement to less gloss and more real drama. Although I believe some of the violence was unnecessary during some of Season 5s earlier episodes it was a show moving with the times. A show has to change and evolve and cant remain as Season 1/2 forever. Season 5 really was a dark ride - but still some great episodes and locations :D

Agree. I was scanning the glossary the other day and noticed that these episodes were mostly filmed back to back to back etc. The difficulty of producing all these episodes one after the other and coming up with good scripts every time for 5 years should be taken into consideration when criticizing one or two episodes. The logistics' date=' coordination, acting etc etc must have been difficult to say the least. All TV series deal with the same issues but Vice was filmed not just in a studio but mainly outdoors or on location in a major city that had serious problems. Don't forget the heat or the language issue either. Overall I think the Vice crew did a great job.[/quote']Nicely said, Jim :thumbsup: When Vice aired with Brother's Keeper it set a very high benchmark for the series, hard to continue that level for 5 yrs.

You'll find the poll averages corroborate what i'm saying if you need your majority opinion.:thumbsup:I don't know what a "true fan" is, but i enjoy the show deeply and am not embarassed to admit sometimes they try & get it wrong..and in later seasons it feels like they arn't even trying at all.

We obviously do disagree, and everyone can have their personal opinion...but I'm afraid this time the minority isn't very accurate. I don't have to be too hard-pressed to find fans that like episodes from season 4 and 5--as check out the comments from other members after your last post. ;) I don't necessarily think seasons 4 and 5 are as good as the first 3 as a whole. The ratings confirmed that. But, there are still awesome episodes in each season.Season 1 introduced us to the show and is awesome...but they were also still ironing out some of the wrinkles, so-to-speak, which is standard for any show just getting started. Season 2 is the strongest, and possibly the most popular. :clap: It's my favorite season, and a fav of a good deal of the show's fans. Season 1 comes in second in that respect, then season 3--followed by 4 & 5.By all means...every show sometimes "gets it wrong" with some episodes ("Missing Hours" and "Cows of October"). But, "MV" did not get it "wrong" with anywhere near the amount of episodes/seasons you claim it did! Basically you say the show sucked from season 2 on. :eek: I'm sorry but that's just not the case. Again, I don't know if you really understood or got the "jist" of the show. There were awesome aspects to every season. By season 5 it was not the same show, and possibly not as good as it started out to be...but there were still some enjoyable episodes and possibilities still present. To me, that's a "true" fan. :D

as check out the comments from other members after your last post. ;) I don't necessarily think seasons 4 and 5 are as good as the first 3 as a whole. The ratings confirmed that. But, there are still awesome episodes in each season.Season 1 introduced us to the show and is awesome...but they were also still ironing out some of the wrinkles, so-to-speak, which is standard for any show just getting started. Season 2 is the strongest, and possibly the most popular. :clap: It's my favorite season, and a fav of a good deal of the show's fans. Season 1 comes in second in that respect, then season 3--followed by 4 & 5.By all means...every show sometimes "gets it wrong" with some episodes ("Missing Hours" and "Cows of October"). But, "MV" did not get it "wrong" with anywhere near the amount of episodes/seasons you claim it did! Basically you say the show sucked from season 2 on. :eek: I'm sorry but that's just not the case. Again, I don't know if you really understood or got the "jist" of the show. There were awesome aspects to every season. By season 5 it was not the same show, and possibly not as good as it started out to be...but there were still some enjoyable episodes and possibilities still present. To me, that's a "true" fan. :D

I checked out some of the polls out of curiosity. Most of the season 4 episodes are rated like 3-4s :/ don't want to hurt you're feelings but there alot more terrible episodes than the obvious "Missing hours"..It's as simple as that

I checked out some of the polls out of curiosity. Most of the season 4 episodes are rated like 3-4s :/ don't want to hurt you're feelings but there alot more terrible episodes than the obvious "Missing hours"..It's as simple as that

Terrible is far too strong - below standard , sub standard or not too good but certainly not terrible .:D

I ain't backing down from this guys:)I dare anyone to watch hell hath no fury, vote of confidence, Miami squeeze, cell within, Everybody in showbiz, victims of circumstance etc and then come back and try to review them without using words like "mind numbingly awful television" that belongs in tv hell.Michael mann would probably agree with me.

I checked out some of the polls out of curiosity. Most of the season 4 episodes are rated like 3-4s :/ don't want to hurt you're feelings but there alot more terrible episodes than the obvious "Missing hours"..It's as simple as that I ain't backing down from this guys:) I dare anyone to watch hell hath no fury' date=' vote of confidence, Miami squeeze, cell within, Everybody in showbiz, victims of circumstance etc and then come back and try to review them without using words like "mind numbingly awful television" that belongs in tv hell. Michael mann would probably agree with me.[/quote']You're not hurting anyone's feelings here! :) Are your feelings getting hurt?? Not all fans have rated all the episodes here...I actually haven't. However, I'm slowly going through each one again...and the ones I haven't rated yet I'm getting to. So, the polls aren't necessarily totally accurate about how all fans feel towards say the last two seasons of the show. However, again as a whole seasons 4 & 5 are not as popular with fans, and even I don't enjoy them as much as the first 3.But, there are still awesome and enjoyable episodes in each season! I'm not backing down from this either. ;) And any true, die-hard fan won't either...& there are plenty here. "Hell Hath No Fury", "Vote of Confidence", "Miami Squeeze", "Cell Within", Victims of Circumstance", etc...are all awesome or pretty good episodes. :clap: I will agree that "Everybody in Showbiz" is not that good of an episode...and is pretty bizarre. :rolleyes: However, it too is still not garbage like "Missing Hours"--and that episode is probably the only one that would warrant the statements of "mind numbingly aweful television that belongs in TV hell." I seriously doubt Michael Mann would agree with you on degrading anything with his hit show! :) Now...you've stated multiple times that you basically can't stand the majority of the series...from like season 2 on. That's your opinion...fine. But, that's not going to leave a whole lot of discussion left for you after the first season--unless you're trying to stir the pot for fun. :p Most die-hard fans (including myself) are not going to back down or agree with what you've stated. So, why don't we move on...or we're just going to keep stating the same things over and over. :rolleyes: You go enjoy season 1, and the rest of us will enjoy all 5 seasons! :thumbsup: It's all as simple as that. ;)

your feelings getting hurt?? Not all fans have rated all the episodes here...I actually haven't. However" data-date=" I">

totally accurate about how all fans feel towards say the last two seasons of the show. However, again as a whole seasons 4 & 5 are not as popular with fans, and even I don't enjoy them as much as the first 3.But, there are still awesome and enjoyable episodes in each season! I'm not backing down from this either. ;) And any true, die-hard fan won't either...& there are plenty here. "Hell Hath No Fury", "Vote of Confidence", "Miami Squeeze", "Cell Within", Victims of Circumstance", etc...are all awesome or pretty good episodes. :clap: I will agree that "Everybody in Showbiz" is not that good of an episode...and is pretty bizarre. :rolleyes: However, it too is still not garbage like "Missing Hours"--and that episode is probably the only one that would warrant the statements of "mind numbingly aweful television that belongs in TV hell." I seriously doubt Michael Mann would agree with you on degrading anything with his hit show! :)Now...you've stated multiple times that you basically can't stand the majority of the series...from like season 2 on. That's your opinion...fine. But, that's not going to leave a whole lot of discussion left for you after the first season--unless you're trying to stir the pot for fun. :p Most die-hard fans (including myself) are not going to back down or agree with what you've stated. So, why don't we move on...or we're just going to keep stating the same things over and over. :rolleyes: You go enjoy season 1, and the rest of us will enjoy all 5 seasons! :thumbsup: It's all as simple as that. ;)

1. Pfft..can't take you seriously after that.2. I didn't say i only like season 1, I said it was the strongest. I think there a some great episodes all round. But the show steadily gets worse every year. I could pick 20 of my favourite epsiodes easily from all of the seasons..but there's atleast a dozen of episodes which would make you puke just from looking at it. That's what this topic is about..Worst episodes. Opinions pal.

1. Pfft..can't take you seriously after that.2. I didn't say i only like season 1' date=' I said it was the strongest. I think there a some great episodes all round. But the show steadily gets worse every year. I could pick 20 of my favourite epsiodes easily from all of the seasons..but there's atleast a dozen of episodes which would make you puke just from looking at it. That's what this topic is about..Worst episodes. Opinions pal.[/quote']Umm...you've pretty much stated how much you dislike the show from season 2 on--you've bashed each of those seasons at one time or another. ;) You've pretty much only said good things about season 1...so one would think that's the only season you really like. You're kind of contradicting yourself too--you say there are great episodes all around...then state the show gets worse every year?? Huh? :rolleyes: Out of...what is it, like 111 episodes, you can only find maybe 20 you like? :eek: That's not really liking, or being a "fan" of a show, whatever that show is.This topic is about "worst episodes"...but I don't think the majority of the series is what they had in mind. :p I'm starting to find this somewhat humorous :) , and nothing personal but I'm not really taking you too seriously when it comes to "MV" either. :D However, so we don't just keep stating the same things over and over and over...you've stated what you hate and like, and so have I. Time to move on.

maybe 20 you like? :eek: That's not really liking, or being a "fan" of a show, whatever that show is.This topic is about "worst episodes"...but I don't think the majority of the series is what they had in mind. :p I'm starting to find this somewhat humorous :) , and nothing personal but I'm not really taking you too seriously when it comes to "MV" either. :D However, so we don't just keep stating the same things over and over and over...you've stated what you hate and like, and so have I. Time to move on.

"season 1 is the strongest season & it deserves the kudos it gets. Season 2's highs surpass everything we've seen so far but the failures are..just awful..and there are a bunch of them.Season 3 still has some great stuff but even more bad ones"I did say that, My point is the later seasons are inconsistent. You have death & the lady on one end, then you got hell hath no fury. Or hostile takeover & line of fire in season 5 are great, but then you have trash like cell within, borrasca or most of the episodes without don johnson really..Overrall I'd say the ratio of great to bad episodes is like 60-40, I'd could type every episode i think is bad if that helps?Hope that clears everything up :p