The worst episode?

chum981

"season 1 is the strongest season & it deserves the kudos it gets. Season 2's highs surpass everything we've seen so far but the failures are..just awful..and there are a bunch of them.Season 3 still has some great stuff but even more bad ones"I did say that" data-date=" My point is the later seasons are inconsistent. You have death & the lady on one end, then you got hell hath no fury. Or hostile takeover & line of fire in season 5 are great, but then you have trash like cell within, borrasca or most of the episodes without don johnson really..Overrall I">

:p

You don't need to type every episode you think is bad...that would probably be over half the series! :p I think season 1 is awesome and it does deserve kudos for getting the show started and creating the idea of what the show became! :clap: But, I think Season 2 was "stronger"...the acting was better, the episodes superb, the true "MV" vibe finally got defined, the characterization was better & more in-depth, etc... Basically, the "wrinkles" from the beginning were finally ironed out. :thumbsup: There were no "failures" with Season 2. That's what makes it so awesome! :DNow, I still love season 3...not as much as the first 2, but darn close! ;) As for season 4...again, not quite as good as the first 3, but still has some awesome episodes...including "Hell Hath No Fury" and "Death and the Lady"! I also like "Cell Within". Season 5 probably is somewhat bizarre compared to the rest of the series...and I think they were trying to reinvent the show again to recapture back lost ratings. However, the writers just went the wrong direction in that attempt. But, there are still enjoyable episodes in season 5.There are episodes that are bizarre or not as enjoyable as the majority...but those are very few. I'd say the ratio of good to bad episodes is more like 90-10. ;) Again, the only episodes that are truly absolute garbage, and failures are "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October". :done:

does deserve kudos for getting the show started and creating the idea of what the show became! :clap: But" data-date=" I think Season 2 was "stronger"...the acting was better, the episodes superb, the true "MV" vibe finally got defined, the characterization was better & more in-depth, etc... Basically, the "wrinkles" from the beginning were finally ironed out. :thumbsup: There [I">

were no "failures" with Season 2. That's what makes it so awesome! :DNow, I still love season 3...not as much as the first 2, but darn close! ;) As for season 4...again, not quite as good as the first 3, but still has some awesome episodes...including "Hell Hath No Fury" and "Death and the Lady"! I also like "Cell Within". Season 5 probably is somewhat bizarre compared to the rest of the series...and I think they were trying to reinvent the show again to recapture back lost ratings. However, the writers just went the wrong direction in that attempt. But, there are still enjoyable episodes in season 5.There are episodes that are bizarre or not as enjoyable as the majority...but those are very few. I'd say the ratio of good to bad episodes is more like 90-10. ;) Again, the only episodes that are truly absolute garbage, and failures are "Missing Hours" and "Cows of October". :done:

Tale of a goat, Free verse, The fix.

Tale of a goat' date=' Free verse, The fix.[/quote']"Tale of the Goat", and "Free Verse" are awesome...but I don't particularly care for "The Fix". However, even it is still no where near as horrible as "Missing" and "Cows". ;)

oh dear guys - every show has a bad episode or two :D

Exactly...including "MV". But, I think we can safely assume that most fans would not think that over half the series was horrible...otherwise I wouldn't think they'd really be "fans". ;)There are some episodes in each season that maybe aren't the best (however in my opinion season 2 hardly has any "bad" episodes...if any). As stated by a majority of fans the worst episode is probably "Missing Hours". But, there are a few other episodes that also are not top-notch material. :rolleyes: "Cows of October" and "Everybody's in Showbiz" are two other examples in my opinion.

Exactly...including "MV". But' date=' I think we can safely assume that most fans would not think that over half the series was horrible...otherwise I wouldn't think they'd really be "fans". ;)There are some episodes in each season that maybe aren't the best (however in my opinion season 2 hardly has any "bad" episodes...if any). As stated by a majority of fans the worst episode is probably "Missing Hours". But, there are a few other episodes that also are not top-notch material. :rolleyes: "Cows of October" and "Everybody's in Showbiz" are two other examples in my opinion.[/quote']A real fan doesn't like every single episode just for the sake of it.Still Season 4 & 5 are mainly made up of dog crap. That's atleast 30 mediocre-to-awful episodes right there. Your Stats & polls that you care about so much, prove it pal.

A real fan doesn't like every single episode just for the sake of it.Still Season 4 & 5 are mainly made up of dog crap. That's atleast 30 mediocre-to-awful episodes right there. Your Stats & polls that you care about so much' date=' prove it pal.[/quote']Thats rubbish Season 4 and 5 are great - I watched "Line of Fire" last nite from Season 5 - a fantastic episode - the glossy nature of the series had gone and this was grittier and darker more in line with late 1988 than 1984-85 . The series evolved and all credit is due for that .:D

A real fan doesn't like every single episode just for the sake of it.Still Season 4 & 5 are mainly made up of dog crap. That's atleast 30 mediocre-to-awful episodes right there. Your Stats & polls that you care about so much' date=' prove it pal.[/quote']Even I don't like every single episode...but a real fan will most likely enjoy or like the majority of a series. ;) I don't have to rely on polls or stats alone, and I don't have to prove anything...other members here have already proved it for me (such as the post right below yours above.) :pSeasons 4 & 5 are somewhat different than the first 3...and season 5 is pretty bizarre compared to the rest of the show...but there are still good episodes in both those seasons, and none of them are "dog crap"! :done:

• 1 month later...
Yeah! Missing Hours - forgot about that - and it had James Brown and Chris Rock' date=' but was still terrible. Maybe they felt they had to do some sort of Sci-Fi as it was the in-thing, perhaps.[/quote']Actually I have to give Missing Hours props because it was not the in-thing in 1987. The X-files was still 6 years away in 1993. It's just another example of how ahead of the curve MV was back in the day. However, it is still a horribly disjointed and thoroughly bizarre episode. And I still don't know if at the end it really happened or not. But we did get to see the Noogman one last time.

Actually I have to give Missing Hours props because it was not the in-thing in 1987. The X-files was still 6 years away in 1993. It's just another example of how ahead of the curve MV was back in the day. However' date=' it is still a horribly disjointed and thoroughly bizarre episode. And I still don't know if at the end it really happened or not. But we did get to see the Noogman one last time.[/quote']Actually in the 80's there was kind of a UFO/alien "buzz" so-to-speak. Even President Reagan claimed he saw a UFO once. There were supposedly more sightings...then you had movies/TV shows like "ET" and the original "V" that added to the hype. It wasn't as huge of a "thing" as it is now by any means, but that kind of stuff was starting to become "popular"...and probably helped "fuel" shows like "The X-Files" a few years later.This is my opinion, but I don't necessarily doubt the existence of UFO's (Unidentified Flying Objects)...but I do NOT believe in aliens or ET! :p I think UFO's are both hoax's that people see when others are playing pranks (and many are proved to be just that) and others are top secret government aircrafts that are being tested and they rely on society's love for sci-fi and/or "goofiness" to turn to little green Martians or aliens as the culprit. :radar: ;)But, none of that really matters. The point is whether any of us love or have no use for UFO's/aliens..."Missing Hours" is still probably the worst episode in TV history and doesn't even make sense for a UFO plotline! :evil::thumbsdown:

Agree. I was scanning the glossary the other day and noticed that these episodes were mostly filmed back to back to back etc. The difficulty of producing all these episodes one after the other and coming up with good scripts every time for 5 years should be taken into consideration when criticizing one or two episodes. The logistics' date=' coordination, acting etc etc must have been difficult to say the least. All TV series deal with the same issues but Vice was filmed not just in a studio but mainly outdoors or on location in a major city that had serious problems. Don't forget the heat or the language issue either. Overall I think the Vice crew did a great job.[/quote']Well said:clap:Vice was ground breaking. I have said before that the show evolved, like life does, for better and sometimes not for the better. Although there are a few episodes I don't like I love watching Vice through all 5 seasons and seeing it's evolution.:thumbsup:I love Vice. There has never been anything like it:cool:.

[Originally Posted by miamijimf View Post Agree. I was scanning the glossary the other day and noticed that these episodes were mostly filmed back to back to back etc. The difficulty of producing all these episodes one after the other and coming up with good scripts every time for 5 years should be taken into consideration when criticizing one or two episodes. The logistics, coordination, acting etc etc must have been difficult to say the least. All TV series deal with the same issues but Vice was filmed not just in a studio but mainly outdoors or on location in a major city that had serious problems. Don't forget the heat or the language issue either. Overall I think the Vice crew did a great job.]

Well said:clap:Vice was ground breaking. I have said before that the show evolved' date=' like life does, for better and sometimes not for the better. Although there are a few episodes I don't like I love watching Vice through all 5 seasons and seeing it's evolution.:thumbsup:I love Vice. There has never been anything like it:cool:.[/quote']I agree...all shows face this issue and overall I do think that the Vice crew did a great job! I enjoy going through all 5 seasons too. However, with the difficulties of trying to stay on "top" with a popular TV show...you'd think the writers and producers would go all-out to try and make sure they always came up with captivating and awesome storylines/episodes. Even though there are still episodes I like, Season 5 was somewhat bizarre or not-quite-there compared to the rest of the series. However, a couple very poor episodes made their way into Season 4 first...and sadly they not only created the worst episode of the show, but possibly of TV history itself: "Missing Hours". :thumbsdown:

every single episode...but a real fan will most likely enjoy or like the majority of a series. ;) I don't have to rely on polls or stats alone" data-date=" and I don">

prove anything...other members here have already proved it for me (such as the post right below yours above.) :pSeasons 4 & 5 are somewhat different than the first 3...and season 5 is pretty bizarre compared to the rest of the show...but there are still good episodes in both those seasons, and none of them are "dog crap"! :done:

Come on, seriously you wouldn't describe miracle man as dog poo? :PDon't get me wrong, There are some really great episodes in S4 & 5. For instance Death and the lady. Whoever came up with that idea was a genius. There's some other good eps like Contempt of court, child's play(good chemisty between DJ and EJO), Baseballs of death(mainly because of boat chase), God's Work(same reason) but then the majority are shamefully badI refuse to believe some of you won't admit that atleast more episodes were horrid besides the infamous Big thaw, cows, Missing hours etc. There are more..

Come on' date=' seriously you wouldn't describe miracle man as dog poo? :PDon't get me wrong, There are some really great episodes in S4 & 5. For instance Death and the lady. Whoever came up with that idea was a genius. There's some other good eps like Contempt of court, child's play(good chemisty between DJ and EJO), Baseballs of death(mainly because of boat chase), God's Work(same reason) but then the majority are shamefully badI refuse to believe some of you won't admit that atleast more episodes were horrid besides the infamous Big thaw, cows, Missing hours etc. There are more..[/quote']I agree that "Miracle Man" is not a very good episode, neither was "Everybody's In Showbiz" from 3rd season. They were "dog-poo" ones for sure...as were "Missing Hours", "Cows of October", and "Viking Bikers". ;) But, those few episodes are not going to qualify whole seasons as dog-poo...the majority of season 4 I still really love. Season 5 is somewhat "different" than the rest of the series...but there are still episodes I like and I don't think the season as a whole is "poopy" either. I think the show could have gone on for a few more seasons if they'd of just cleaned up the plotlines some and all the actors had been willing.I actually like "Big Thaw"...although I admit that I'm in the "minority" with that one. :) It's not a great episode by any means, but there's something about it that cracks me up every time--and I love the music and abandoned school used as Izzy's lab.But, yes..."Death and the Lady", "Child's Play", "God's Work", etc...are some of my favorites of season 4!! :clap::thumbsup: "Baseballs of Death" is pretty good too, and I like "Contempt of Court" as well...although I don't think it should have been the 4th season premiere. "Love At First Sight", "Hell Hath No Fury...", and "Honor Among Thieves?" are also ones from season 4 that I love.But..."Missing Hours" will always qualify as the WORST EPISODE ever (not only of "MV" but possibly of TV history)!! :thumbsdown:

Yeh Big thaw is kinda entertaining in a silly way & I'll be honest i enjoyed Amen send money, I liked the whole tubbs accused of rape bit. I do enjoy Love at first sight too.Hell hath no fury left me a little befuddled. Don Johnson gives probably his worst performance on the show, its like hes drunk/high or something. He even messes up his lines.I guess season 4 isn't as bad as im making it out to be, if you cherry pick all the best episodes, you could probably get a good dozen out of them. But if you watch them consecutively, it does leave you with bad taste in your mouth switching from slapstick comedy in one ep and then in the next, its about a women murdered in a snuff film etc. It's strange as hell. And the tone of a single episode isn't even consistent. In "amen" like i said, Tubbs is accused of raping a women, yet the rest of the ep is supposed to be a comedy.Oh..I kinda liked Honor among thevies too, but the bad guy with the dolls :birdie:Season 5 just feels like nobodies even trying anymore. Don is only in a few episodes, Tubbs and switek can't carry full episodes, neither can castillo on his own. You hardly see gina and trudy too.

Yeh Big thaw is kinda entertaining in a silly way & I'll be honest i enjoyed Amen send money' date=' I liked the whole tubbs accused of rape bit. I do enjoy Love at first sight too.Hell hath no fury left me a little befuddled. Don Johnson gives probably his worst performance on the show, its like hes drunk/high or something. He even messes up his lines.I guess season 4 isn't as bad as im making it out to be, if you cherry pick all the best episodes, you could probably get a good dozen out of them. But if you watch them consecutively, it does leave you with bad taste in your mouth switching from slapstick comedy in one ep and then in the next, its about a women murdered in a snuff film etc. It's strange as hell. And the tone of a single episode isn't even consistent. In "amen" like i said, Tubbs is accused of raping a women, yet the rest of the ep is supposed to be a comedy.Oh..I kinda liked Honor among thevies too, but the bad guy with the dolls :birdie:Season 5 just feels like nobodies even trying anymore. Don is only in a few episodes, Tubbs and switek can't carry full episodes, neither can castillo on his own. You hardly see gina and trudy too.[/quote']I can't stand "Amen...Send Money"! :thumbsdown: It makes no sense and there's really no purpose or reason for the plot. That's another "poo-poo undies" one. :p When in "Hell Hath No Fury" did Crockett mess his lines up? It's not my favorite of the season, but I still do like that episode! "Honor Among Thieves?" is pretty bizarre...but that's why I like it. Something off-the-cuff that's a change from the drug dealers and pimps (although that's who the doll killer was trying to set up). Maybe the episodes don't "flow" together in season 4, like the previous seasons. But, overall there really are no continuing storylines, so that really isn't too much of a problem. Season 5 isn't as good as the rest of the series...but there are still some enjoyable moments/episodes. As for which seasons I like the best in order it pretty much goes like this for me: Season 2, Season 1, Season 3, Season 4, and Season 5.

He flubs his lines in the shooting range scene. For some reason, In the middle of season 4 don doesnt look very well. I don't know why, maybe he got bored acting in a cop show turned sci fi-bull semen retrieval showAmen send money is pretty stupid, I just like 1-2 scenes like Tubbs chasing this guy up the staircase and the camera tracks upwards, and then you can see south beach from the roof. Just thought it was cool. I usually give average episodes a better rating if theres a "MV" scene in it. Contempt of court for example is pretty much a standard cop procedural story but it has a cool scene on the beach where C&Ts play football with the informant and his kid, and the sky has this purple look to it, and its all in one shot.I'd rate the seasons pretty much the same. Seasons 1 and 2 are close though.Oh just thought of another crappy ep. Vote of confidence, you can tell just my reading the synopsis alone that its a complete bore. Just awful. Deserves to be in the bottom 10.I might aswell do a bottom 10 since i can't just name one horrific ep.Vote of confidenceCell withinMissing hoursCows of octoberBig ThawAsian cutHell Hath(sorry lol)Leap of faithVictims of circumstanceJack of all tradesRising sun of deathTale of goatHeroes of revolutionViking BikersEverybodys in showbizFree verseI'll throw in "Made for each other" aswell.got a little carried away :p

Oh, "The Cell Within"! What a piece of horrific garbage that one is! The only way I've been able to justify it in my mind is to convince myself it's Tubbs' version of a "Shadow in the Dark" type fever dream.

He flubs his lines in the shooting range scene. For some reason' date=' In the middle of season 4 don doesnt look very well. I don't know why, maybe he got bored acting in a cop show turned sci fi-bull semen retrieval showAmen send money is pretty stupid, I just like 1-2 scenes like Tubbs chasing this guy up the staircase and the camera tracks upwards, and then you can see south beach from the roof. Just thought it was cool. I usually give average episodes a better rating if theres a "MV" scene in it. Contempt of court for example is pretty much a standard cop procedural story but it has a cool scene on the beach where C&Ts play football with the informant and his kid, and the sky has this purple look to it, and its all in one shot.I'd rate the seasons pretty much the same. Seasons 1 and 2 are close though.Oh just thought of another crappy ep. Vote of confidence, you can tell just my reading the synopsis alone that its a complete bore. Just awful. Deserves to be in the bottom 10.I might aswell do a bottom 10 since i can't just name one horrific ep.Vote of confidenceCell withinMissing hoursCows of octoberBig ThawAsian cutHell Hath(sorry lol)Leap of faithVictims of circumstanceJack of all tradesRising sun of deathTale of goatHeroes of revolutionViking BikersEverybodys in showbizFree verseI'll throw in "Made for each other" aswell.got a little carried away :p[/quote']Made for each other is very good comic episode because focused on second great vice team Switek & Zito. Noogie & Izzy were great and had lot of air time too. Jan's score is so good, one of my favourite. :)

For me the first thing that comes to mind is "A Bullet for Crockett". Although it starts good it quickly goes down hill with the rest of the show doing flashbacks.

He flubs his lines in the shooting range scene. For some reason' date=' In the middle of season 4 don doesnt look very well. I don't know why, maybe he got bored acting in a cop show turned sci fi-bull semen retrieval showAmen send money is pretty stupid, I just like 1-2 scenes like Tubbs chasing this guy up the staircase and the camera tracks upwards, and then you can see south beach from the roof. Just thought it was cool. I usually give average episodes a better rating if theres a "MV" scene in it. Contempt of court for example is pretty much a standard cop procedural story but it has a cool scene on the beach where C&Ts play football with the informant and his kid, and the sky has this purple look to it, and its all in one shot.I'd rate the seasons pretty much the same. Seasons 1 and 2 are close though.Oh just thought of another crappy ep. Vote of confidence, you can tell just my reading the synopsis alone that its a complete bore. Just awful. Deserves to be in the bottom 10.I might aswell do a bottom 10 since i can't just name one horrific ep.Vote of confidenceCell withinMissing hoursCows of octoberBig ThawAsian cutHell Hath(sorry lol)Leap of faithVictims of circumstanceJack of all tradesRising sun of deathTale of goatHeroes of revolutionViking BikersEverybodys in showbizFree verseI'll throw in "Made for each other" aswell.got a little carried away :p[/quote']I'll have to pay attention more during the shooting range scene...I didn't notice it. But, I agree, Don was getting bored I think--as the ratings started to go down. Maybe it was because his show was now dealing with aliens and bull semen rather than drug and illegal weapons dealers, LOL! :)I understand what you mean about a few scenes can sometimes "make" an episode or intrigue you enough to enjoy it. I also liked the scene you mentioned in "Contempt of Court"--the colors used were awesome! However, there's really nothing about "Amen" that I like. :rolleyes: I also don't really think "Vote of Confidence" was that good of an episode. I don't think it was so horrible to belong in the bottom 10...but it was sort of pointless. Okay...politicians are liars and fakes...we already knew that. ;) But, I can watch it when going through the series, I don't hate it that bad.In all honesty I don't know if I can have a bottom 10 with the episodes. There are episodes that I don't really like or care for compared to others...but to all-out despise or loath them, it takes quite a bit for me. From the episodes you mentioned, I'll list what I think is the bottom 5 :thumbsdown: :"Missing Hours"--(The all-time worst episode EVER!)"Cows of October""Everybody's In Showbiz""Miracle Man"-(I actually added this one here)"Made For Each Other"Other episodes that are pretty poor, bizarre, and/or not very good...but not necessarily in the "bottom" category:"Amen...Send Money""Leap of Faith"--(Mainly because it was not about the "MV" people but was supposed to be a Pilot for a supposed spin-off series)"Viking Bikers From Hell""Jack of All Trades""Vote of Confidence""Cell Within""Rising Sun of Death""Victims of Circumstance"I'm sorry but these other episodes I enjoy, or love:"Asian Cut""Hell Hath No Fury...""Big Thaw"-(Mainly because of "lighter" side, music, and abandoned school--I like photographing and exploring abandoned buildings, especially schools. I'm strange I know. :p )"Tale of the Goat""Heroes of the Revolution""Free Verse"

• 1 year later...

" Missing Hours" despite James Brown and some comedic banter with C&T in the theatre.  Seasoned Dutch  director Ate de Jong directed this episode 

" The Cows of October" 

"Borrasca" - I just found too dark and violent .

:D