Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

52 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

which car  are u referring to nofretz?

The Testarossa, sorry. Any post about a Testarossa rattles my cage ;)

I don't wanna derail the thread 

Edited by nofretz

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

It's only a bid but reserve not met.

I wonder about the rear flares??? The tires are very small and don't fill the wheel wells very well. I actually hate the wheels and it needs tru-spokes. (just my two cents)

I do like the headlights and the front end looks ok but a bit high in suspension?

Those things can be easily changed. 

Could either get wider rear wheels/tyres, some wheel spacers (if they're legal in his state), or a wider rear axle. 

The headlights, I'd personally put perspex over it like they did on the show.

You can also get a new set of lowering springs for a couple of hundred dollars. But I'd maybe get coilovers for better performance and adjustable ride height.

The small things can be changed and personalised. The main part is actually getting the car. From there on, the possibilities are endless.

1 hour ago, Pritt said:

Put in the engine and transmission and the front will be lower.

The wheels are original McBurnie. Very rare!

Interesting ! good info!:D:D

I didn't notice the text...was there no engine in that car?

Maybe I should read closer????????????

Edited by Stinger390X

15 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

nofretz-   you don't like Testarossa's ??

I LOVE all Ferraris--especially Testarossas! Maybe I used the wrong expression. 

• 1 month later...

Idk anything about it, but I've been looking at it since it was listed. Looks very nice. Hope it's THE ONE for you! Keep us posted. 

Thanks nofretz-

I like the look of the car but I am always suspicious when the seller doesn't list more details about the car as well as a 'Buy it now' price (when listing on EBAY)

Tidy looking car, absolutely... but the headlights look a bit weird. Could just be the picture though.

Also, those aren't the real Borrani rims.

I like the manual transmission. Never been a fan of automatic.

It should fetch $60,000 easy. If it's as good in real life as in the picture. There's a similar McBurnie on the market right now here in Germany:

http://ww3.autoscout24.de/classified/280324422?asrc=st|as

Edited by Daytona74

ok I just did a little research, and you're right in that there's a tremendous price range. There are cars here in Europe with asking prices between $25,000 and $65,000. So I guess it's a case of supply and demand, and of the imagination of some sellers when it comes to the price tag... :)

These cars have gone up in price over the last two or three years though, together with the classic car market as a whole. Aside from the obvious fun of owning one, if you can get it at a good price, it could become a good financial investment as well.

There's a Daytona body shell on the market right now in the U.S. for $12,000... maybe you want to build your own? ;)

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C663636#

Edited by Daytona74

Definitely do not want to build my own (If u get some time read the beginning pages of this thread).  It outlines my objectives pretty well. 

This EBAY car is actually built off a '74 coupe. Look at the VIN number.  Not a '71 as advertised.   Much lower HP on the '74's so that will hurt resale value a bit

I love the "I can win a ride in his Ferrari?"    HILARIOUS !!!  One of my favorite ever MV scenes.

20 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Definitely do not want to build my own (If u get some time read the beginning pages of this thread).  It outlines my objectives pretty well. 

This EBAY car is actually built off a '74 coupe. Look at the VIN number.  Not a '71 as advertised.   Much lower HP on the '74's so that will hurt resale value a bit

I love the "I can win a ride in his Ferrari?"    HILARIOUS !!!  One of my favorite ever MV scenes.

Year of the frame is not necessarily an indication of the HP, as most of the cars were converted to crate engines as the process moved forward.  The headlight covers are Rowley, which are silk screened to match the real Ferrari headlight cover.  Overall the car looks to be in good shape, but no way to know about it without a drive.  The wheels being faux wires, and the required parts that look like will have to be replaced would be a consideration, as well.

Still, overall, a good price.  

As to the body kit, even being on a frame with some running gear that thing would be a major life project.  The end result would look much more like an authentic Ferrari than any of the American kits, but the headaches and the expense of putting the required Ferrari parts!!  Lighting system alone would cost in the area of $7,000 without the front lenses covered.  And starting the interior from scratch would be a never-ending search for parts .  It would make someone with lots of time and money a great project.

JN

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mvice8489:

don't worry, that was kinda meant as a joke... :p

I'm a car fanatic though, and I've been toying around with the idea of building a car from scratch for years. Right now I don't have the money for a project like that though.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Mvice8489:

I'm not really familiar with Chevy engines, so I wouldn't know... all I know is that with gas prices the way they are here in Europe, any 70s Chevy small block would break the bank... six to seven bucks per gallon, at  15 mpg... *shudder*... you kinda would have to be a drug dealer to afford running costs like that... :p

vor 41 Minuten schrieb jurassic narc:

As to the body kit, even being on a frame with some running gear that thing would be a major life project. 

Very true. It depends on what you start with though. And what technical parts you want to use. If you use standard Corvette parts, like McBurnie did, then they're probably easy to come by in the U.S. But if you want to make it look more like an actual Ferrari, then that's a whole different story. I don't see how you could actually do that. Given that only a few hundred real Daytonas were built, and it's not like they're sitting in junkyards often.

Edited by Daytona74

"As to the body kit, even being on a frame with some running gear that thing would be a major life project.  The end result would look much more like an authentic Ferrari than any of the American kits, but the headaches and the expense of putting the required Ferrari parts!!  Lighting system alone would cost in the area of $7,000 without the front lenses covered.  And starting the interior from scratch would be a never-ending search for parts .  It would make someone with lots of time and money a great project." -JN

JN-

Thanks for your input. Always interested in hearing your thoughts on these cars.  When referencing the 'body kit' are your referring to the actual EBAY car?   Or the Daytona body shell that is for sale?  Any other general thoughts on this specific EBAY car to consider?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Mvice8489 said:

Thanks for your input. Always interested in hearing your thoughts on these cars.  When referencing the 'body kit' are your referring to the actual EBAY car?   Or the Daytona body shell that is for sale?  Any other general thoughts on this specific EBAY car to consider?  Thanks

I was referring to the red SRV shell already on the frame.  Those bodies are much more authentic.  Match the Ferrari in 90% of the body measurements.  Drop in a Jaguar v12 and they are really close to the original.  Much less than 1.5 million, but still not a cheap car.

The EBAY car did not sell as the reserve price wasn't met. 

I actually tried to enter a bid in the last 4 seconds that was above reserve (the seller disclosed the reserve price to me) but my computer was too slow and kept "spinning" for a few seconds after I hit the submit button   Ugh  :( 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ferrari-Daytona-/182201578432

@Mvice8489:

Why not talk to the seller and ask them what kind of price they would be comfortable with outside of eBay.

The eBay auction has shown him that he's going to have to get his price expectations down a notch, so that'd be a good starting point for you.

No Fretz-

Not a fan of tan convertible tops on MV cars.

Daytona74-

I have been talking to him.  I'm still waiting for him to provide me a few extra crucial details on the car before I decide if we can make a deal.

The more I think about it, though, the more I am not so interested in a 4 speed manual transmission.  The automatic is so much easier to drive around  town.  Believe me, I know the advantage of a manual...I have a manual 2015 Porsche 911 C4S but it is a brand new car and the clutch is very easy to use.  I'm guessing it is not so much on a 40+ year old car.

Also, the dash is all black.  I really like Crockett's dash where it is black on top and tan on the front

Anyway, the quicker he can get the info that I asked for (days ago) the quicker I can decide if I am going to buy this car.

ALWAYS appreciate everyone's thoughts.  Please keep 'em coming :)

20 minutes ago, Mvice8489 said:

Not a fan of tan convertible tops on MV cars.

I noticed the tan top, but I wasn't sure on your stance. I too think the black would look better (and more like MV).