Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

If you saw a pic from the rear you would definitely know it Bra. You love the way the telpipes come out of the M V car. These come out like a modern corvette. It doesn't fit the lines and just seems to be there. IMO. 

Stinger, Your correct. It has Ferrari like door handles. The original Daytona had these handles. Mcburnie's first cars had these type of handles and they had a lot of problems with the way they worked with the Chevy door latch. So, he switched to the Alfa door handles. My car was an early build and I had these handles on it. During my rebuild (cause one handle was sheered off) I went with the Alfa door handles. It was cheaper for the insurance company; Thxs to pics that Spyderman provider on how to build the Alfa brackets. And I was ready for a change anyway  

The carl Roberts cars had the Ferrari style handles with there kit too. 

IMG_4690.JPG

Thanks for posting this Bigsarg! This article is awesome and great break-away drawing...

| looked at a light yellow car here in Ontario a couple of years ago but was disgusted by these cheap door latches. The car I looked at didn't even have door glass nor a rag top and the windshield surround was a cheap fiberglass casing.  While sitting in the car I put my left elbo on the top of the door and this "Flag" metal thing was poking me in the elbow!!!

This car was so bad even the front bumper was loose and I rattled it in front of the owner with my hand, and he said it just needed to be tightened up. The seats were a cheap cloth and total wrap around bolsters and were all wrong for that bodystyle, but it had a newer 6 speed standard in it and new engine.

The trunklid did not have a latch and I asked the owner how he drove around with the trunklid unattached? He told me it was heavy enough and it stayed closed when driving around...I could just imagine going over a set of railroad tracks or speed bumps...hahahahahahaic

There were no rear bumpers on it at all and in this province it is illegal to drive any vehicle with out proper front and rear collision impact bumpers. I knew I could never get this vehicle to pass a safety certification so I walked away.

He was asking 30k for the car and I just laughed under my breath and drove home disgusted that I wasted a day to go see this junk.

By the way Bigsarg, do you know if the Mazda Miada door handles work on the Daytona?

Edited by Stinger390X

On 12/1/2016 at 10:04 PM, Bigsarg said:

IMG_5061.JPG

so they modify the frame of the car? I guess this explains why that damage to car 1 really threw them off then, as then the extension was crooked.

Stinger, I had seen a car that sold sometime back with the Mazda door handles. It just didn't look right. Close but just not right. I found a place in the U.K. that I got the Alfa handles and gaskits from. $200 or so. I bought a cheap old set just for the lock cylenders and brackets. We used them for dry fitting in the doors. I think the average M V fan would not notice the Mazda handles. But if i had a car with them it would drive me crazy. I don't think they would be much cheaper. You have to by brand new because the chrome on old handles is pitted and all scratched up. 

Stinger: The car I looked at didn't even have door glass nor a rag top and the windshield surround was a cheap fiberglass casing. 

ya. The flag door handle is a great way to describe the Ferrari door handle. It's not appealing at all. Looks kind of like a lock on a house window. But it gave the Daytona a shaved off door handle look. Pretty modern for the time. The fiberglass surrounding the windshield is in the diagram for the Carl Roberts kit. The real Miami Vice car at Volo Musium has the fiberglass surrounding the windshield too. The cars in the show had corvette pieces (reveals and a header); one car's pieces were black and the other car was chrome. The cars in the show also used the Ferrari housing for the front turn signal. Volo's car has the fiberglass housing molded into the body. 

I think that windshield surround should be standard Vette stainless. I don't like the fiberglass surround as it cheapens the look of the car. The stainless parts looks so much nicer and the roof hold-downs are nicer if clean and polished that having that cheap fiberglass surround interfering with the convertible top.

That car I looked at didn't even have a top of any kind! I asked the guy what he did if it ever rained out. his answer was it was a "fair day car" and he only drove it when it was nice out?!?!?!?!?!?!? It did however come with a tonneaux cover that fit over the tops of the seats and snapped into the rear deck and dashboard.

When I looked closely at the surround I couldn't put a top on the car even if I tried as  the factory latches were missing! Oh..forgot to say it didn't even have windshield wiper motor or arms in it either! This car was an absolute mess!!!!!!!

DSC02829.JPG

DSC02833.JPG

DSC02834.JPG

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

Stinger, that is an absolute best pic of the fiberglass surrounding the windshield. My car had the surround and during this restoration I changed it back to stock corvette convertible reveals and stainless steal header. My top didn't even have a middle latch (space was upholstered over). I always thought I had coupe window glass because my windows couldn't be adjusted all the way up. The fiberglass made everything off on the adjustments. Come to find out I have convertible glass. Just that fiberglass was such a bad part. I understand that Mcburnie built his earlyer cars with it and Carl Roberts kit came with it. Not sure why. In the 80's the parts must have been easy to come by. Now they cost way to much and they don't make aftermarket SS header. That thing costs $500 and up. But if you have the fiberglass surround it is the best upgrade for the money. 

I have seen two cars claiming to be one of the original cars from the show. Volo and the car at the Miami Musium. Both have that fiberglass surrounding the windshield. I forgot to feel if the Miami Musium car had the Ferrari turn signal housing or if it was just built into the body. But the pics I have has no gaskits on the turn signal lenses. So, it's a sure bet it is molded in the body.

Stinger, do you know what kit that yellow car was?

Edited by Bigsarg

16 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

Stinger, do you know what kit that yellow car was?

No...I querried the guy but he knew less about these vehicles than I could have imagined. he was an old guy with deep pockets and paid to have everything done and knew little about even the MV heritage of the car.

When I looked I could see no markings on the door posts or inside the cowl or trunk area, but it did have the McBurnie Flares not the smooth sides like the Roberts moulds.

Actually I think was a plug from a plug or a poor copy of some other mould? There was nothing to identify it and after seeing all the problems I stated in my other posts I just walked away from the deal. The car was registered as a late 70's Vette, but as I stated before here in Ontario that car would NEVER pass a safety certification, so I would never be able to plate it and drive it legally. He had current plates on it, and when I asked him who safetied the car, he clammed up? He must have paid off someone to get a renewal sticker or something?

I don't quite follow???

I thought McBurnie built the two cars for the show? How did "Robert's" name get in this? Am I mistaken?

I have to go read the Daytona threads again from the beginning..............

Sonny Burnett will clear this up for you ASAP, Stinger. I could never explain it as well as he (and the other Daytona experts on here) could. 

WOW!!!   As a classic car owner I have read literally thousands of sales ads over the years.   I have NEVER seen one filled with so many lies and BS as this one!!  The guy should actually be ashamed of himself.

This is JN's old car.  JN sold it to this Dave Martino guy just under a year ago.  It was NEVER on 'Vice or used for any 'Vice promotions until this guy bought it and dragged it down to the 2016 Miami Boat Show.  

He "hyped" the car up and had Trudy sit in.  Big deal.

The next Miami Boat Show is mid February 2017 (about 9 weeks from now).  I am guessing he hopes on dumping it based on nostalgia generated by that event.  

And when exactly did Dave Martino become a "International Superstar" ???    LOL !!  

So much misrepresentation. Even the mileage is a lie. Report it to eBay. I just did. Let's get the add kicked off eBay before he scams some innocent fan

Well the guys post sure drones on and on about it's heritage......

I figured it to be BS?    Yes he should be kicked off ebay for misrepresentation.

Don't mean to rain on your parade MVice8489 but I have seen that exact add for the last three years. It's the exact same add from Volo I have a copy of in my files from three years ago.

I keep track of every car I see on the interweb and log it on my mapping program. The link I have doesn't work anymore but I recognize it as it is identical to an older one I saw.

It is a beautiful car however and a bit more reasonably priced however still a bit too much for my moth filled wallet

Only two small things I don't like, one being the stock Vette dashboard and the exhaust is at the wrong angle and needs to be adjusted or re-welded at the rear area to get the correct up-swept look.

Edited by Stinger390X

Stinger,  actually Volo just bought that car a few months ago (from Arturo).   Maybe they used the same pictures that he used when he regularly advertised it on Craigslist.

I really don't like the tan top and the 'Vette dash either.

Just my opinion

That is strange indeed!

It might be one of Arturo's cars for sale but hose pics are pretty well identical to the ones in the previous ad of three years ago.

I guess a black car is a black car?????????

It would be interesting to check it out up close and personal?

No matter what the bid goes to it will not meet reserve. He will be relisting it and chances are it will have more BS on the ad. Can't rewrite history. The car is what it is. He's made it look so worn out. Like it was beat to sh•• . And he had Trudy sign the dash. Why not under the hood or something. Like where Mcburnie's name should be. Well the dash has to reupholstered anyway. So, I won't hold that against it.