Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

The reserve on this car is $25K.   I find it a little suspicious, though, that the bid jumped  from $20,200 all the way to $25,008 in one fell swoop. Why not raise the bid a thousand dollars at a time?  And it was the same bidder that moved it from $20,200 to $25,008.   I quite frankly think the whole Ebay auction thing is "rigged" and I just don't trust the fake bids.  

My gut says this car will "sell" for over reserve .....but that the car will be back on the market shortly thereafter due to "the new buyer failing to pay" or some other BS reason like that.

I've seen some suspicious activities on there, too. In fact, the last time was on my Carrera shades a couple of years back. But I gottem anyway. 

It sold for $30,100 on EBay.   Still not convinced that it is not a scam though.   A lot of "suspicious" looking bidding going on on it. 

On 7/19/2016 at 7:00 PM, Daytona74 said:

You're preaching to the choir... I am German, born and raised. I spent some time living in the U.S. as well, so I kinda have a little bit of an idea what makes you guys tick over there.

Personally, there's a few American cars that I like, but I wouldn't buy one. Mainly because a lot of them, inculding a McBurnie Daytona,  would just cost a fortune to run here. Like I said, gasoline is six to seven dollars per gallon here, and the old 350 small blocks get, what, 15 miles to the gallon?  And then you've got tax, which is calculated based on engine displacement and emission. That'd be another big headache, with an engine that's basically got 1970s emission standards. You're looking at €1445 a year in vehicle tax for a 5.7 liter (350 cu in) engine without a catalytic converter... :evil:

Unless you're able to register it as a historic vehicle, being that the McBurnies are now over 30 years old. But historic vehicle regulations in Germany are really meant more for standard production cars that have been kept in authentic original condition, not necessarily for kit cars like the Daytona, where the appearance really depends greatly on how an individual car was built and there's no "reference point" by which to judge a car's authentic condition.

I actually saw a replica Daytona once here where I live, next to me at a red light. Black with tan seats, and everything. It's definitely an impressive looking car in its own right. In a parallel universe, maybe I would own one for use here in Germany. But right here in this universe, I am just going to admire them from afar :)

But back to topic, that Daytona with the cream interior really might be worth a second look. It'd at least be an idea to try to get it at a good price, and then spend a little money actually making it look like a Miami Vice Daytona. I'm a fan of buying cars as "projects" or "fixer-uppers". If you're good with cars and know how to fix some things yourself, then you can save quite a bit of money, and on top of that end up with a car that's really the way you want it to be.

Well with the LS motors some of them can do some pretty impressive mileage on modern pump gas, just check out a catalog called Jegs, and the replacement engines they offer, and gearing and the transmission is everything, granted that gets expensive in a hurry and you have much more potent fuel than we do, tops is 95/98, but mostly 87, 89, 91, 93.hence why the prices are lower here.

plus some crazy bastards can really do some impressive stuff on the cheap over here because of the fleet cars, so its all about how you reuse and abuse something lol

and you might actually get better mileage over the from our motors. I guess your best bet to get to the nitty gritty would be to find a corvette club and ask them directly about how they handle all of this.

Edited by Kavinsky

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Kavinsky:

Well with the LS motors some of them can do some pretty impressive mileage on modern pump gas, just check out a catalog called Jegs, and the replacement engines they offer, and gearing and the transmission is everything, granted that gets expensive in a hurry and you have much more potent fuel than we do, tops is 95/98, but mostly 87, 89, 91, 93.hence why the prices are lower here.

We've got gas station chains here that claim that their top of the line fuel is RON 102... but even that is only five euro cents (six cents U.S.) more expensive than RON 95. I use RON 102 for my daily driver, which has a turbo charged VW engine and I think I notice a difference, albeit marginal.

The real culprit is that they tax the heck out of it here... fuel tax is around three dollars per gallon. Yes, you read that right. 

According to wikipedia, U.S. fuel tax is around 48 U.S. cents per gallon. 

The upside is that our high fuel tax has historically always meant that engines of European cars were by and large more efficient. But it also means that when you run many older U.S. cars here, you pay a fortune on gas.

15 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

It sold for $30,100 on EBay.   Still not convinced that it is not a scam though.   A lot of "suspicious" looking bidding going on on it. 

I think you have to decide what price you're willing to pay and again getting the car inspected before-hand is not a bad idea as that may alleviate some of your concerns about defects and/or price to value. I can tell you I have around the same amount "invested" in my car already as the selling price of this Daytona, and I am nowhere near complete in restorations.  Pre-inspection was critical for me because I drove mine around 12 hours on the road to bring it home.  To me this Daytona looked like a decent car, and had a lot of the things I would have been looking for. Decent ones don't come up that often in auction, and I see so many incomplete cars or cars in obvious states of disrepair out there.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Another Daytona just hit Ebay.  I love the stance and wheels.  Not so sure about other things like the mirrors and dash, though.  Once again all thoughts would be appreciated on this one!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-Other-Spyder-/182227632649?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a6d9d0209:g:4hgAAOSw0fhXmPHs&item=182227632649

P.S.   BTW, the reason that I did not bid on the last Ebay car (that just sold on Saturday July 30, 2016 night for $30,100) is because the owner, who I spoke with several times, was simply a guy I could not trust.  He had too many BS excuses and was not at all transparent on his cars details.  I simply do NOT do business with people I don't trust.  Period 

• Like 1

Yes...an exceptional car except the headlights are wrong.

That is my only complaint......................................

This Daytona is really nice. The wheels are awesome! If a owner spend money for Michelin XWX, he will be a real car enthusiast.

Check, if the pop ups are workin right. How's the condition of the paint???

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Yes...an exceptional car except the headlights are wrong.

That is my only complaint......................................

I actually prefer these lights, more authentic to the real 365 Spyder.

9 hours ago, James said:

I actually prefer these lights, more authentic to the real 365 Spyder.

+1 on that. I like the drop doors over my headlights, and makes for a smoother body look in daylight, imo.

And as JN pointed out some time ago, it could be a challenge with bodywork to remove them ( in the lens housing) , and add the plexiglass.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

I spoke with the owner extensively.  Very nice guy but this car needs WAY to much work ( probably $15,000 at an  absolute minimum. I  would be happy to get more into details off- line )

Anyway, the search continues. Please keep any leads coming as always!! 

In the meantime I will enjoy my 'black 72 Vette stingray convertible and my 2015 Porsche 911 C4S.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  To my eye, the 3rd and 4th pics show a car whose paint job is not as fresh and shiny.  The seats in the 5th car look lighter than those in the other pics.  Possibly that is just glare since we're seeing teh seats through the front window.  But I'm as far from a car expert as anyone could be!   

On 8/4/2016 at 7:39 PM, Mvice8489 said:

and the wire wheels aren't right

Not sure what you mean by that.  They appear to be Zeniths, which are very hard to find if they are original.  The insert is red with gold eagle, but the spinners are correct (as most of the newer cars feature swept ears).

On August 4, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Mvice8489 said:

and the wire wheels aren't right

JN-   I am on my cell phone right now so can't pull up the pictures as well but if I remember something did not seem right with those wire wheels. Will look at it tonight on my computer when I get home. 

By the way, my bad on the red EBAY car that I mentioned yesterday.   After a second look the ad does in fact state that there is a black car listed in the ad in case somebody wanted to paint the red one black. The black car was there to show what a Daytona would look like if it was painted black 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jurassic narc said:

Not sure what you mean by that.  They appear to be Zeniths, which are very hard to find if they are original.  The insert is red with gold eagle, but the spinners are correct (as most of the newer cars feature swept ears).

The red on the center cap of the wheels doesn't look right.   I don't recall ever seeing red on Crockett's wheels.  JN what do u think of the hood on that car?

2 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

The red on the center cap of the wheels doesn't look right.   I don't recall ever seeing red on Crockett's wheels.  JN what do u think of the hood on that car?

Of course, as I said. the color of the center caps is wrong, but the wheels are spot on.  The center caps are easily corrected.  The hood looks mis-aligned.  A body shop could adjust it in under 10 minutes.  If the car was ever repainted, it was most likely replaced and not properly tightened.  Fiberglass shouldn't warp, so the hood is probably an easy fix.  Fitment issues with the replicas and the real Ferrari were apparently fairly common.  I wouldn't write the car off based on the pictures on EBay, but it is certainly something an inspection should address.

• 4 weeks later...