Looking for a MV Daytona replica!

Mvice8489

Well looking at the standard Corvette C3 dashboard, it should be easy to remove and have it covered in tan leather or vinyl. If the car was otherwise what I wanted, that wouldn't deter me. Depending on whether you want it done in leather or vinyl, you're looking at 300 to 500 bucks.  If you "know a guy".

(But that's just me... you're talking to a guy who has disassembled and reassembled all of his own cars since 1997 :p)

Old manual transmissions can be a B-word... back then, a gear change really meant physical workout :)

Don't know if that's true for C3 Corvettes also. I would probably still take a manual over an automatic, no matter what car... and if you've got a car that's pretending to be a classic Ferrari, then, to me, you've just got to have manual transmission...

But I know that the McBurnies they used on Miami Vice were automatic - you can see it whenever Crockett puts his car in gear. He shifts "down", while fist gear on a manual would have been "up". And sometimes the car jerks forward when he puts it in gear, which also shouldn't happen on a manual...

But it's really a matter of personal preference if you want automatic or manual.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb nofretz:

I noticed the tan top, but I wasn't sure on your stance. I too think the black would look better (and more like MV). 

Tan tops really aren't so great in the long run. They look nice new, but even if you take good care of them, they will stain over time. I've got a friend who has a Miata with a tan top. After just two or three years, all the dust and grime of big city traffic started making it look worn and faded.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

"Old manual transmissions can be a B-word... back then, a gear change really meant physical workout"

I'd prefer my workouts to be at the gym! 

How about this car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-/222189466777?forcerrptr=true&hash=item33bb863499:g:~R0AAOSwaB5Xiu6Y&item=222189466777

It's got automatic transmission. And it's got a light colored dashboard.

Looks like the interior of that car is cream though, not tan... I also wouldn't like the seats. The Ferrari seat cover pattern with the dark stripes didn't turn out so well on this car. And the quality of craftsmanship also isn't so great. Look at the way the leather sags and wrinkles around the seat edges. You sometimes see that on old cars with 100K-plus miles. But seats should not look this way after just 15,000 miles. Even if you weigh 300 lbs and get in and out of those seats ten times a day.

Or look at the door cards. The door cards just kinda look misshapen.

On the other hand, if this cars sells for a low price, then you'd probably have a few grand left over to have the interior redone.

The torn top should also mean that the car will sell for a little less. Instead of fixing it, you could just replace it with a black one. Which will be expensive though, you're looking at $1,000 easy for a custom made top, for having one sewn and then installed. Putting a new top on a frame takes forever.

So if you buy this car, make sure you have another $3,0000 - $4,000 left over to turn it into a car that actually looks like the Miami Vice Daytona.

Edited by Daytona74

you know one of the things I've always thought is that maybe a good way to deal with this proj

On 7/16/2016 at 1:06 PM, Daytona74 said:

don't worry, that was kinda meant as a joke...

I'm a car fanatic though, and I've been toying around with the idea of building a car from scratch for years. Right now I don't have the money for a project like that though.

I'm not really familiar with Chevy engines, so I wouldn't know... all I know is that with gas prices the way they are here in Europe, any 70s Chevy small block would break the bank... six to seven bucks per gallon, at  15 mpg... *shudder*... you kinda would have to be a drug dealer to afford running costs like that...

Very true. It depends on what you start with though. And what technical parts you want to use. If you use standard Corvette parts, like McBurnie did, then they're probably easy to come by in the U.S. But if you want to make it look more like an actual Ferrari, then that's a whole different story. I don't see how you could actually do that. Given that only a few hundred real Daytonas were built, and it's not like they're sitting in junkyards often.

you know one of the ways I was thinking of dealing with this project is to get two cars, two corvettes, a conversion done already and a stock test car, build the test car up the way you want and switch the good working parts to the new car, the conversion car, to keep the costs down.

that way if something breaks or goes wrong on the test car you still have the other one ready to go with all the lessons already learned beforehand as you wish, and you can roadkill the car you dont like that much as much as you want.

and while the roadkill boys arent big into corvettes, I know of and have been helping a texan who is

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCorvetteBen/videos

much like I was hoping to do with my P38.

as lets face it we all screw up the first time when building something, and best it not be on something you really love first off that's gonna be hard and expensive to replace, as with things like that it can be permanent damage you do to something that is hard to replace, like the door on this aston.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwk9IwMkPk

I mean god only knows how much it would cost to put a new aluminum hand made door on that thing.

after all you never give a new driver a hemi when starting out, you give him an inline 6 to learn how to handle the thing first and then go from there, same philosophy applies here.

plus maybe you go for a C4 and a daytona replica, as apparently some of the parts like the steering are compatable, as it was one of the things rolwey switched over, and even Andy Prost, the guy working on

motor trend as their go to race car driver, who's raced a ton of cars said that since 1984, the corvette has always had good steering, which is the year they switched over to a rack and pinion rack and added a front anti roll bar via a leaf spring and went to a 5 point rear suspension with the first year of the C4

so some roadkill like experimentation could possibly greatly improve your experience. as the key to every great car is a formula, its just a matter of which great formula works best for you.

an under powered momentum car, , a grownling snarling F**k with me and I'll rip your head off and S**t Down your neck hotrod, or a get to point A and point B as fast as possible with no drama germanic fantasitc technological tour de force machine.

or a mixture of all three in some form or another. as people want different things, and theirs a place in this world for all of them, and its just a matter of what works best for you.

as I'm as germanic as they come, I have an inherent love of the porsche and the german way things are done, as I'm very much a detail man but consequently I also love to go in the complete opposite direction, ala here.

as for every porsche 918 fly by wire dreamcast

you need one of those just to make the world that less bit less civilized and in harmony with our animal instincs lol as for every heaven you need a hell to go with it and to take that out of the equation drives everything off the rails for everyone.

and that really does apply to everything in life too.

Edited by Kavinsky

vor 18 Stunden schrieb Kavinsky:

as I'm as germanic as they come, I have an inherent love of the porsche and the german way things are done, as I'm very much a detail man

You're preaching to the choir... I am German, born and raised. I spent some time living in the U.S. as well, so I kinda have a little bit of an idea what makes you guys tick over there.

Personally, there's a few American cars that I like, but I wouldn't buy one. Mainly because a lot of them, inculding a McBurnie Daytona,  would just cost a fortune to run here. Like I said, gasoline is six to seven dollars per gallon here, and the old 350 small blocks get, what, 15 miles to the gallon?  And then you've got tax, which is calculated based on engine displacement and emission. That'd be another big headache, with an engine that's basically got 1970s emission standards. You're looking at €1445 a year in vehicle tax for a 5.7 liter (350 cu in) engine without a catalytic converter... :evil:

Unless you're able to register it as a historic vehicle, being that the McBurnies are now over 30 years old. But historic vehicle regulations in Germany are really meant more for standard production cars that have been kept in authentic original condition, not necessarily for kit cars like the Daytona, where the appearance really depends greatly on how an individual car was built and there's no "reference point" by which to judge a car's authentic condition.

I actually saw a replica Daytona once here where I live, next to me at a red light. Black with tan seats, and everything. It's definitely an impressive looking car in its own right. In a parallel universe, maybe I would own one for use here in Germany. But right here in this universe, I am just going to admire them from afar :)

But back to topic, that Daytona with the cream interior really might be worth a second look. It'd at least be an idea to try to get it at a good price, and then spend a little money actually making it look like a Miami Vice Daytona. I'm a fan of buying cars as "projects" or "fixer-uppers". If you're good with cars and know how to fix some things yourself, then you can save quite a bit of money, and on top of that end up with a car that's really the way you want it to be.

Edited by Daytona74

From a trademark lookup (http://www.trademarkia.com/california-daytona-spyder-73525170.html), it appears this mark was owned by McBurnie during 1985 for about 9 months and it also appears he began using that mark in 1983, so I assume he had not registered it until later. As mine was manufactured in 1988 I would not have that in my paperwork.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Yes to the question of whether McBurnie did own the trademark "California Daytona Spyder" and so it is associated with his name. However, since he owned the mark for only a 9 month window Imo, other replica builders could build cars under that name without any fear of trademark infringement if they did so prior to or after the effective date of McBurnie's trademark ownership in 1985. So I don't think this is a definitive yes or no. I would want to closely examine the build paperwork associated with any car to determine who built it.

The guy that is selling the car that I am looking at on eBay has a title  from Pennsylvania (He never titled it in his home state of Missouri after buying it due to the fact that it was being worked on cosmetically ).   So it is pretty obvious that he bought it from Arturo.   

I may stand corrected.   The name on the title is not Arturo.  It is William D Munz of Collegeville, PA .  Anybody know him as fellow Daytona owner?

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:14 PM, Mvice8489 said:

I may stand corrected.   The name on the title is not Arturo.  It is William D Munz of Collegeville, PA .  Anybody know him as fellow Daytona owner?

Not sure...are you referring to the black or the red car? Kind of lost track in the thread.....................

I was referring to a car that the auction ended on Thursday night.   It was a black car with a black top.   The eBay listing is no longer there. There was also a black car that had a tan top. I was not referring to that car as I do not like tan convert tops on Miami Vice cars

Car looks good.  Engine looks good, but not my area so I would have someone check it out.  To be closer to MV and be more drive-able the tag light, antenna, and side mirrors need to be added.  I prefer wire wheels with knock offs, but these are a much cheaper alternative.  Bumpers need rubber added.  Tail lights look rough, but may be just the way the pictures turned out.

I would probably leave the interior alone.  The seats arent that far off, and are probably a step up from the 78-82 vette seats.  I would go with leather MOMO wheel, as they just handle better. 

I would give it a thumbs up if it passes and inspection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mvice8489 said:

The EBay Daytona replica that I have been considering has been relisted again.  Here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Ferrari-Daytona-/182219833331?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a6d25fff3:g:MYsAAOSwv9FXgqPG&item=182219833331

As always any thoughts, comments, etc on this by you guys is much appreciated !

Man, that is a real beauty!  :thumbsup:

I'd agree mostly with JNs comments and observations but note the interior is Faux Ferrari (as mine is). If you desire a dash and instrument cluster more like a Series driven car, then you may want to look for the Vette gauge clusters and dash configuration. (see photos of CameraDaytona's car and JNs former car for interior examples in the Ferrari Daytonas thread).

Most importantly if you are interested in this car, I would contact the Seller and make a trip to get the Car inspected at a local shop of YOUR choosing before bidding on the car. To me it would be worth the cost of a very thorough inspection so that you know what issues you are buying and you may be able to negotiate the price depending on what is found in inspection. I would also contact the Seller and ask to see build docs confirming it is a McBurnie (if that is something you want).

I don't think the car is an actual McBurnie as it is not stamped anywhere on the car.   Also, the seller unfortunately does not have any build sheet or history on the car.     Supposedly he just bought it on EBay a year or so ago.   I was in the market for these cars, too, back then and I don't remember this one ever being for sale

I think, this is a McBunrie. It is stamped. Take a look at the picture with the engine. In front of the windshield is written California Daytona Spyder. This is a sign for a late McBurnie. The fenders are also typical.

Yes, the hood markings and under the door were from very late molds.  Many of the earliest cars were only marked under the hood.  As far as the headlights go, the Plexiglas is silk-screened like a real Ferrari.  Probably a Rowley product, as his parts fit the McBurnie, the Roberts and the Rowley cars.  They result looks cloudy from the side, but is fine for headlights.

The interior is personal preference, but unless you want to spend lots of money and time, needs to be left alone.  I chose my car for the complete Corvette interior and made the necessary modifications to get it to MV Spec.  Most people will never recognize the difference (either way).  

To go with more correct wheels and mirrors is a bit pricey, but the finished car will look much better in my opinion.  The mirrors are a very prominent feature, and the remote control versions run a few hundred dollars plus installation.  Zenith Wire Wheels with the correct spinners are relatively expensive as well, but the Daytons are available and will save you about $500.  The correct spinners will have to be special ordered from either company, as the swept spinners are the ones usually in stock.  The tag light will run about $400, but the antenna is very common and probably less than $50.  I would also check on the seat-belts, as I don't see any in the pictures.  70% of the people who die in crashes in the US weren't wearing seat-belts (don't become a statistic).

Considering the asking price, and the couple of thousand that would make the car near perfect in most aspects, it really is not a bad deal.  I doubt it will suite MVice8489, as his particular interests will probably make this car unsuitable, but a great car for someone who wants a weekend head turner for a reasonable price.  And the car will run for a very reasonable amount, and service is dirt cheap (at least compared to real exotics of any era).

JN

Thanks for all the continued feedback on this car, guys.    If I were to consider putting Dayton wire wheels on this car would a fit on the current tires? What would be the cost of ordering those wheels?  Also, as far as it being a McBurnie , I thought all McBurney's were California Daytona spiders… But that not all California Daytona spiders are necessarily McBurnies.   So unless it is stamped McBurnie, is it in fact not a McBurnie?

The car is now bid to $25,108 (2 days left) which is above the starting bid the first time it was listed (when there were no bids).  So, I assume it is above the reserve (and above the asking price in the AutoQuid ad listed above) and will be sold.  As JN says, it looks like a good car at a reasonable price, which would be fun to own.  This sounds about market-correct with a little work and money required to have it exactly like you want it.