Don's hairstyle in depth

Mrich209

Possibly. But can a blonde hair really look that dark brown with different exposure? Wow. 

This looks like dyed to me as well. Or not "dyed" literally but as if some kind of "tinting" has been used. I think that darker hair looked much better on him. The 4th/5th season very blonde hair didn't look that great.

Don Johnson

• Like 1

Look at this one. This is not retouched or edited later. A big difference already right ? That pic has been edited in photoshop and extra contrast has been added to it, and that is why that one looks darker.

prodigal_Son_s2ep1.jpg

prodigal_Son_s2ep1_001.JPG

1 minute ago, apocalypse said:

Yeah. But that hair looks middle/dark brown to me. Definitely not blonde. Or then I'm completely color blind. LOL.

You are right that is a lighter brown, Don Johnson never had blonde hair. As he spent more time in Miami and his hair has been exposed more and more to the sun light it turned a bit brighter than it normally was but they definitely dyed his hair later in Season 5. In other seasons it depends on the oncoming light and the exposure of the particular scene. I have a little bit darker hair than Don has but with the right exposure mine also could look like it is bright brown.

• Like 1

Yeah light brown is probably considered "blonde" in Miami where most people from Cuba and Colombia have black hair. Just like Clint Eastwood was "blondie" among the Mexican people in those Italo westerns. Clint had brown hair... quite dark brown actually... and not even close to "blonde hair" by European/US standards.

But Don's hair looks much lighter in season 4 too (compared to S2 and S3). Maybe it was just sun exposure then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

Yeah light brown is probably considered "blonde" in Miami where most people from Cuba and Colombia have black hair. Just like Clint Eastwood was "blondie" among the Mexican people in those Italo westerns. Clint had brown hair... quite dark brown actually... and not even close to "blonde hair" by European/US standards.

But Don's hair looks much lighter in season 4 too (compared to S2 and S3). Maybe it was just sun exposure then. 

Season 5 I am totally sure, season 4 ahh yeah you are saying something. This one also looks brighter than his hair normally is. But it is hard to tell for sure.

I am sure this is his natural hair in Season 5 EP 10 and they dyed it from EP 11 "Miami Squeeze" when it already appeared to be a lot longer and a brighter.

So we can say they also changed his look slightly in the middel of the season,

6 hours ago, Kalci said:

I am sure this is his natural hair in Season 5 EP 10 and they dyed it from EP 11 "Miami Squeeze" when it already appeared to be a lot longer and a brighter.

So we can say they also changed his look slightly in the middel of the season,

Yes, Don had his hair lightened during production of the episode “Miami Squeeze”. This episode was the first one filmed after the Christmas break of 1988. Don would usually get some modification done to his hair post the Christmas breaks. His hair was trimmed and tidied up during production of “Lend Me An Ear” - the first episode filmed after Christmas 1986. Don also had a trim and slight redesign mid season 4 during production of “Vote of Confidence”, first episode filmed of 1988. 

• Like 1

Regarding hair colour: Certain hair styling products can give hair a darker or wetter look which (to me) seems to be the case in some of those pictures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2022 at 12:14 AM, fakespyder said:

Regarding hair colour: Certain hair styling products can give hair a darker or wetter look which (to me) seems to be the case in some of those pictures.

No kidding. The hairspray I use (Aussie: Instant Freeze) makes my hair look jet black and wet (not to mention makes it as hard as a rock, lol), but it's worth it cuz once I comb it out (the longer I let it "set", the better it looks afterwards) no amount of Florida humidity makes it poofy, frizzy, or just overall messy. No need for blow-drying either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TylerDurden389 said:

The hairspray I use (Aussie: Instant Freeze) makes my hair look jet black

Hey I use that too!

But my hair is already jet black :) 

• Like 2

Currently my hair is pretty long (for curly hair). The last time I had it this long was during lockdown. I'm at the point where it has been "suggested" by loved ones that I get a haircut.

In a certain loved one's words: "Unless you're gonna live to 104, you're too old for a mid life crisis..."

While I agree, I kind of regretted getting it cut last time (after lockdown). Also, I like that it irritates my family:p

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Currently my hair is pretty long (for curly hair). The last time I had it this long was during lockdown. I'm at the point where it has been "suggested" by loved ones that I get a haircut.

In a certain loved one's words: "Unless you're gonna live to 104, you're too old for a mid life crisis..."

While I agree, I kind of regretted getting it cut last time (after lockdown). Also, I like that it irritates my family:p

You can't leave us in suspense without seeing this "long curly hair"! It's my favourite style!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

You can't leave us in suspense without seeing this "long curly hair"! It's my favourite style!

It's too early for Halloween so I'll spare you the fright:)

If you want a sense of how it looks just imagine brown (and grey) cotton candy on a stick.

Also, being in the witness protection program, I got too many enemies to show this mug in public:p

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, fakespyder said:

Also, being in the witness protection program, I got too many enemies to show this mug in public:p

Are we gonna have to send Switek and Agent Delva to your house? :) 

• Haha 3

Yeah these DJ MV hairstyles are hard to reach unless you have a hairdresser at hand every morning with a lot of skill and understanding I think. My hair is particularly thin and tends to get wavy after reaching 5inch length and also really dense so it always goes with the wind :D I was also experimenting with the Season 4 and Season 5 look without real success.

Season 1 Hairstyle is which I can get closest to. But my darker brown hair needs to be dyed to get somewhat similar hair look. Not to mention head shape also defines the possibilities.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 2

Someone commented on a “Missing Hours” YouTube video today “the longer Crockett’s hair is, the cheesier the episode.” :) :) :) 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Kladdagh said:

I tried to have don's haircut from season 5 ... BUT ... I also have curly hairs and they are very "fluffy" :)

It was a desperate attempt ;( 

I feel you man. In the 80ies I tried so hard to get my hair to cooperate so I could look like Sonny. Alas, it was not meant to be...;(

We should start a support group for people with our condition.:hippie:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, fakespyder said:

I feel you man. In the 80ies I tried so hard to get my hair to cooperate so I could look like Sonny. Alas, it was not meant to be...;(

Count on me for the group (of course) :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Had to sign in especially to "like" these funny posts! There are some amusing people on here :) 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After two years and change of rocking a more "classic taper" side part look, I recently decided to revert back to the Season 1-esque style as I've gotten the Crockett itch again. Partly (pun not intended) due to the fact that I just noticed not too long ago that my temples have receded to a more mature hairline look and so the low side part just wasn't cutting it anymore, with my current haircut the swept hairs cover both temples for the most part. I'm not too worried about going bald because there's not really any family history on either side of my parents that would indicate a risk for male pattern baldness, but I'm 26 now so it follows that I won't have my rounded hairline like when I was a kid anymore. Probably more so I just never noticed it before, but my hair is still thick all the way through. Anyway, this is my current progress at the neater, shorter Season 1 look and I like it so far but in the coming months I'll let it grow in different areas and try slightly different haircuts to see what I'd like to settle back into. Everyone's hair is different and you can't expect to always have hair exactly like Crockett unless you've got a professional hairdresser chasing you around all day. Luckily my hair is similar enough in texture to DJ's despite being a bit darker. As you can tell, I favor the shorter Season 1 style over the Season 2 style, I think it suits me better. I'll post updates as I get more growth and toy with the best look! Hope this thread stays alive, I have an unhealthy obsession with Sonny's hair!  :)

IMG_1428 (002).jpg

• Like 6