Thoughts on Covid 19

Ferrariman

Omicron is the dominant variety of the virus all over the world.  We are fortunate that it is milder than other versions.  I believe that we should continue to encourage vaccinations and boosters because Omicron is even less of a problem if the patient has the shots.  Restricting movement of only non-vaccinated makes no sense because it has been shown that the vaccinated can get infected and spread the virus.  Mandates are universally unpopular and have resulted in massive protests worldwide.  The time has passed for them.  Parents, not the government, have the right to decide about masking their children as well as the right to decide about vaccination and home schooling/virtual learning or attendance at school.  It is well established that children are not in much danger from the virus.  It's a personal decision that should be based on what they believe is best for their child in consultation with their family doctor.  It looks like the world is finally making progress against this Chinese plague.  My only concern is about the next variety of the virus.  If it is more dangerous than Omiron all bets are off.

While it's been stated in the popular press that Omicron is milder, the numbers of people currently hospitalized and on ventilators (over 90% of these are unvaccinated) kind of negates that assumption.  I'm not suggesting lockdowns, but people definitely continue to need to be vaccinated and to wear masks in areas where social distancing isn't possible.

Vaccinated people can contract and transmit the virus, but are much less likely to do so than the unvaccinated.  Children may be at somewhat less risk of serious illness, but they can pass on illness to more vulnerable adults, such as grandparents.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

While it's been stated in the popular press that Omicron is milder, the numbers of people currently hospitalized and on ventilators (over 90% of these are unvaccinated) kind of negates that assumption.  I'm not suggesting lockdowns, but people definitely continue to need to be vaccinated and to wear masks in areas where social distancing isn't possible.

Vaccinated people can contract and transmit the virus, but are much less likely to do so than the unvaccinated.  Children may be at somewhat less risk of serious illness, but they can pass on illness to more vulnerable adults, such as grandparents.

The argument that children aren’t affected the same as adults always angers me, as I think about a student I had last year who has neither of her parents anymore.  These losses ARE affecting children, including their education, so allowing it to continue spreading and harming others under the guise of personal choice is an invalid argument.

I just saw a news clip this morning of people at the anti-vaccine march in DC yesterday.  One man interviewed said as long as you don’t hurt anyone it’s a personal choice because this is America.  I just shook my head in disbelief.  The lack of basic knowledge that allowing the virus to continue spreading by his choice is not just hurting but killing people.  The disconnect is stunning, and tragic.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

And the fixation on COVID to the exclusion of all the other impacts the whole thing has caused angers me. But there's no point.

I would be angered too if that were the case.  Your assertion that all other impacts have been ignored, however, is not accurate.  Perhaps you believe not enough consideration has been given to other impacts?   There’s much to be debated and considered in terms of public policy.  Looking at various nations shows a wide range of responses and and equally wide range of subsequent outcomes. The same is true state by state here in the US, but it’s not all or nothing as you stated.

In education we are constantly adjusting to student needs as they deal with illness and loss.  Far more services are being made available with specific funding because of the pandemic.  Teachers are currently dealing with massive absenteeism from illness, not quarantine, and trying to stop students from falling further behind.  That, while short of staff as illness hits us as well.  We’re definitely not ignoring these impacts. 

• Like 2

In our news is constantly talked about that Omicron is more contagious and dangerous - of course, especially for the unvaccinated. It also seems to affect children more.
While I was doing my exercises in the physiotherapist's studio today, the TV was on and it became clear once again that no one knows what is supposed to be done.
Party 1 called for rejecting mandatory vaccination and relying on better testing.
Party 2 stated tests are good, mandatory vaccination is better.
Hovering over everything are gigantic incidence figures (over 3200 in Portugal).
Personally, I think that a virus does not ask if you are old or young. Of course, old and sick people are more at risk, but the younger ones and even the children can still get it. A virus doesn't ask for your ID. It just infects you. If you have a very good immune system (preferably in conjunction with vaccination) it does little or no harm.
The fact that a vaccinated person also carries the virus is nothing new, but the point is that the virus no longer finds a host when everyone is vaccinated.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pahonu said:

I would be angered too if that were the case.  Your assertion that all other impacts have been ignored, however, is not accurate.  Perhaps you believe not enough consideration has been given to other impacts?   There’s much to be debated and considered in terms of public policy.  Looking at various nations shows a wide range of responses and and equally wide range of subsequent outcomes. The same is true state by state here in the US, but it’s not all or nothing as you stated.

In education we are constantly adjusting to student needs as they deal with illness and loss.  Far more services are being made available with specific funding because of the pandemic.  Teachers are currently dealing with massive absenteeism from illness, not quarantine, and trying to stop students from falling further behind.  That, while short of staff as illness hits us as well.  We’re definitely not ignoring these impacts. 

I would propose that your point of view is heavily skewed by a focus on education, which obviously is your profession. If you venture into health care, the justice system, and even basic retail operations there are certainly impacts that are either underplayed or ignored. Mental health is one, the skyrocketing OD rate another (an issue that can easily be understated through the use of Narcan...ODs only register if it's a fatality).

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:21 PM, Ferrariman said:

Don’t jinx it!  I can’t believe how many people I know that have recently gotten it.  

There's been certainly lots; it's absolutely cut a swath through the Sawgrass Marriott like it's bad business (well, at least it didn't stop a wedding this weekend). Some people have come back and are alright now (Pub superstars Colleen:happy:, Ali), while others relapsed (Kimika). There are just a ton, and the hotel is posting for employment all over the place (my company can't keep people as it is, this certainly doesn't help for sure). I'm glad I'm not used to normal to begin with...wow.

• Like 1

• Administrators
On 1/22/2022 at 7:14 PM, Dadrian said:

I am literally the only person I know in my daily life who hasn’t gotten it! Knock on wood :) 

Now you know two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

I would propose that your point of view is heavily skewed by a focus on education, which obviously is your profession. If you venture into health care, the justice system, and even basic retail operations there are certainly impacts that are either underplayed or ignored. Mental health is one, the skyrocketing OD rate another (an issue that can easily be understated through the use of Narcan...ODs only register if it's a fatality).

I would agree that my perspective is skewed based on my experience in education.  I was simply countering your statement that everything else was being overlooked.  It’s not accurate.  “Underplayed” is a matter of degree and can be debated.  

• Like 1

vor 1 Minute schrieb Dadrian:

I meant in my local daily life, but you all are definitely part of my daily life. :)  

There are a lot of viruses that spread over the Internet, but Covid 19 is definitely not one of them. :)So we can meet each other without masks, without fear of infection. That's worth a lot in this day and age.:happy:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Christine said:

There are a lot of viruses that spread over the Internet, but Covid 19 is definitely not one of them. :)So we can meet each other without masks, without fear of infection. That's worth a lot in this day and age.:happy:

Yeah Christine, that's what I like about this community, we always keep the safety on.

In all seriousness though, the COVID vaccines/boosters remind me of computer anti-virus software; by the time we "install" another vaccine, the virus mutates and becomes something else, so we're always behind a bit. Never in my life have I recalled how much staying alive & healthy has mattered to so many people; I just want that to stay on track:tasse:.

• Like 3

I haven't had it yet, either.

It is sometimes annoying to see how much stress is placed on COVID-19 in the press, and it does seem to engulf other important issues, as RobbieC says.  However, I do think one reason for that is that due to the virulence of the virus, it's been difficult to make progress on many other serious and important issues.

It's been well-publicized, though, that deaths due to drug overdoses have been up during the pandemic.  Overdoses that don't result in death are also well-known to be up significantly.  Because of the risk of disease transmission, in-person support group meetings have struggled, and virtual or Zoom meetings haven't been able to take up of the slack.  The metro newspaper in a larger city near me completely revamped its practices on restaurant reviews due to the numerous closures when restrictions were tightest.  No reviews/ critical writeups, only supportive articles about what restaurants are doing to survive; notices about new restaurants opening, etc.

I think the high transmission rate and the critical illness of those who do need hospitalization has made a huge change in the way we interact, and society as a whole hasn't adjusted yet.  I know 5-6 people personally who have died from COVID (not just a coincidental positive test upon admission to a hospital).  One of my old coworkers, an RN with a master's degree, is one of the many suspicious anti-COVID vaccine people.  She is 65 years old; got COVID from her son in December and spent a couple of weeks in critical condition on a ventilator.  She was just released to a rehab center yesterday.  No way of knowing yet how well she will recover.  She wasn't in ideal physical condition and had several risk factors, but was active and working every day.  Yet, there may still be people who don't know anyone who's been seriously ill with COVID-19.

I read this morning that there has been another variant discovered that is more contagious than omicron.  Am I sick of it all?  Yes.  Am I ready to stop taking all precautions?  No. 

• Like 1

My wife and I have also avoided infection, and we have been in full classrooms all year.  We have relatively high vaccination rates in our area and good masking policies.  That says a lot, I think.

I view CNN10 with my students, and we have discussions about many stories.  The increase in US overdose deaths was the lead story last Friday, I believe.  There have been many stories over the months about the pandemic’s impacts in other areas as well, from the supply chain to business difficulties to rising anxiety levels.  Students usually have lots of questions.  CNN10 is a short news program viewed around the globe that is geared toward middle and high school students.  

• Like 1

vor 10 Stunden schrieb vicegirl85:

I haven't had it yet, either.

It is sometimes annoying to see how much stress is placed on COVID-19 in the press, and it does seem to engulf other important issues, as RobbieC says.  However, I do think one reason for that is that due to the virulence of the virus, it's been difficult to make progress on many other serious and important issues.

It's been well-publicized, though, that deaths due to drug overdoses have been up during the pandemic.  Overdoses that don't result in death are also well-known to be up significantly.  Because of the risk of disease transmission, in-person support group meetings have struggled, and virtual or Zoom meetings haven't been able to take up of the slack.  The metro newspaper in a larger city near me completely revamped its practices on restaurant reviews due to the numerous closures when restrictions were tightest.  No reviews/ critical writeups, only supportive articles about what restaurants are doing to survive; notices about new restaurants opening, etc.

I think the high transmission rate and the critical illness of those who do need hospitalization has made a huge change in the way we interact, and society as a whole hasn't adjusted yet.  I know 5-6 people personally who have died from COVID (not just a coincidental positive test upon admission to a hospital).  One of my old coworkers, an RN with a master's degree, is one of the many suspicious anti-COVID vaccine people.  She is 65 years old; got COVID from her son in December and spent a couple of weeks in critical condition on a ventilator.  She was just released to a rehab center yesterday.  No way of knowing yet how well she will recover.  She wasn't in ideal physical condition and had several risk factors, but was active and working every day.  Yet, there may still be people who don't know anyone who's been seriously ill with COVID-19.

I read this morning that there has been another variant discovered that is more contagious than omicron.  Am I sick of it all?  Yes.  Am I ready to stop taking all precautions?  No. 

We all suffer from the restrictions and it starts with wearing the mask. The medical masks are okay, because you can still breathe quite well under them, but especially older people, who also suffer from a chronic respiratory disease anyway and have trouble breathing, are almost lost under an FFP2 mask.
Many of my patients have therefore not gone outside since the beginning of the pandemic. They suffer from the lack of personal contacts, because the telephone cannot replace them.
In the group physiotherapy that I regularly attend (I probably had a herniated disc in November), there are some older people with breathing problems who say that exercise is torture for them under the FFP2 mask.
But these are only the small problems. Suicide rates are up, children and teens are suffering more depression, and there are many people who are now financially maxed out due to their long covid condition. 
I think that by now there will hardly be anyone who does not know at least one person who was seriously ill with Covid or is still ill. It's often the long-term effects that are the most difficult for people to cope with. 
However, we still have too many vaccination opponents and as long as they do not realize how important vaccination is, we will not be able to return to normality.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Christine said:

However, we still have too many vaccination opponents and as long as they do not realize how important vaccination is, we will not be able to return to normality.

That about sums it up! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Got my second Moderna booster shot yesterday.  It had been 6 months since the first booster.  The pharmacist recommended it and the price was right - free.  Didn't feel like I really needed it but might as well go all the way.  Most people are more than ready to put all of this behind them.  It's rare to see masks anymore.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

In Germany, too, the mask requirement has been largely lifted. There are again events with 50,ooo and more people and in the meantime even customers have been mobbed and physically attacked by other customers in the stores because they want to continue wearing the mask.
I also wear at least an OP mask when I go shopping, because the incidences are still very high.
A second booster vaccination is under discussion, at least for people over a certain age or with corresponding pre-existing conditions. Should caregivers also be able to get one, I will definitely pick it up.
In my company, there are only three of 27 employees who have been spared so far: my boss, a colleague and me. I hope I will continue to be spared. In May I finally have a live reading, which had to be postponed twice because of Corona, and in June my son is getting married. Then I don't want to fall ill with Corona and have to stay at home.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Same here in Toronto. Most mask mandates have been lifted. (Too soon in my opinion)  The consensus is that people are being urged to actually think for themselves and decide if they want or need to wear one.            

I admit that after 2 years of seeing masks it feels wrong at first to see people without one so for that reason I will continue to wear one whenever I go into a store, restaurant, etc.,  mostly for the comfort of others and to avoid any confrontation.  I will also go for a 2nd booster when I’m eligible in July.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On Thursday I got my fourth vaccination. Unfortunately, I did not know that I was already infected with Corona. I had no symptoms at that time. They came two hours after the vaccination ... and very violent. However, fortunately not in the form of breathing problems, but as massive flu symptoms.
At first I thought they were just side effects. Many people I know had more problems with the fourth vaccination than with the first three.
Yesterday, however, I felt better until noon before the symptoms returned. I thought that was strange. so I did a test ... and it was positive.
Today I went to a test center. Of course the rapid test there was also positive, I will get the result of the PCR test tomorrow. 
But I must say that this is a favorable time (if you can talk about "favorable" for a disease:)) because on June 17 my son got married and I was very afraid to have Corona then. The next party is now on July 17 when we celebrate my granddaughter's second birthday. Hopefully by then I will have beaten Corona.

• Like 1

Congrats on the marriage of your son, may you have many more healthy grandchildren.  Sorry you had trouble but I think you will be OK.

• Like 1

vor 50 Minuten schrieb miamijimf:

Congrats on the marriage of your son, may you have many more healthy grandchildren.  Sorry you had trouble but I think you will be OK.

Thank you for the congratulations to my son. Right now they are both in the Maldives enjoying their honeymoon.
As for the corona disease: In our country they say weeds don't fade. In my company, there have been three employees who have not had the disease. One was me. Well, now there are only two left. However, I could have done without it, because I have been sick a lot in the past few months. First I was ill for ten weeks because of bad back pain, then I fell on my knee, and now I have Corona on top of that.

• Administrators

Well, as the old saying goes “everything comes in 3’s”   Hang in there, things can only get better.        Congrats on your son’s marriage! It’s great that now they can actually enjoy a honeymoon. A year or 2 ago covid could have ruined everything.

• Like 2