Miami Vice TV series on Blu-ray

DaytonVicer

2 minutes ago, bodie said:

Totally with you on streaming; everything these days wants a subscription. And all the other factors you mention.

If you have a good HD screen, then feed it good HD Miami Vice with the Mill Creek Blu-ray set. It looks and sounds better than off-air and DVD.

But that doesn't mean you have to get rid of or never watch any other version. Part of being a fan is the more the merrier, but if you have the screen for 1080 HD or higher, you owe it to your interest in MV to spend $50* imho :cheers:

*or wait for amazon to get it in again for a couple of bucks nearer $40

At some point I might get the Mill Creek set...but is that the one that you have to request Mill Creek send replacement discs? 

$50 for the whole series is not a bad price...but I’m leery of defects or disappointments. 

However, I do have a good HD screen/TV in my living room, and I’m not sure how or what the person who put their original airings onto DVD did...but I swear some scenes and aspects look or come across as HD to me! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

At some point I might get the Mill Creek set...but is that the one that you have to request Mill Creek send replacement discs? 

$50 for the whole series is not a bad price...but I’m leery of defects or disappointments. 

However, I do have a good HD screen/TV in my living room, and I’m not sure how or what the person who put their original airings onto DVD did...but I swear some scenes and aspects look or come across as HD to me! 

If you had to trade in all previous copies, that would suck. But happily you don't - it's just more of what we love.

In terms of defects, if you buy new from a retailer like Walmart you will get corrected stock. You can identify it easily without opening the product, the spines have numbers on so if you get bad stock (no numbers at the top of 1 and 4) it can go back for refund unopened and that's always a guaranteed refund - we can all send anything back in the same condition it arrived in.

But as I say, if you go for a big retailer and order it new, you'll get a good one. Beware, amazon themselves are out of stock, so I'd not go for any of the sellers there as they may have old stock. Go for Walmart instead.

Is it perfect, is it the absolute best? - No.

Is it worth $50? - Hell yes! :dance2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bodie said:

If you had to trade in all previous copies, that would suck. But happily you don't - it's just more of what we love.

In terms of defects, if you buy new from a retailer like Walmart you will get corrected stock. You can identify it easily without opening the product, the spines have numbers on so if you get bad stock (no numbers at the top of 1 and 4) it can go back for refund unopened and that's always a guaranteed refund - we can all send anything back in the same condition it arrived in.

But as I say, if you go for a big retailer and order it new, you'll get a good one. Beware, amazon themselves are out of stock, so I'd not go for any of the sellers there as they may have old stock. Go for Walmart instead.

Is it perfect, is it the absolute best? - No.

Is it worth $50? - Hell yes! :dance2:

Awesome...I may have to do that sometime soon! I don’t think there is “absolute best/perfect” for MV out there (although in my opinion, my “originals” are darn close ;)), but there are several options...which is  probably more than most shows get. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:27 PM, bodie said:

If you have a good HD screen, then feed it good HD Miami Vice with the Mill Creek Blu-ray set. It looks and sounds better than off-air and DVD.

If you have the screen for 1080 HD or higher, you owe it to your interest in MV to spend $50* imho :cheers:

*or wait for amazon to get it in again for a couple of bucks nearer $40

I took your advice and got the Mill Creek Blu-Ray set from Walmart. I’ve not watched much yet, as it just arrived today...but so far the sound is pretty good! The screen is the original standard size for when MV was on, but picture quality & colors are pretty good, too...not faded, nor altered to be neon or harsh-bright, but “pop” pretty much just right. :thumbsup: 

However, I saw they marketed & advertised the set to “also include the lost episodes” (the original Universal DVD sets included them, too). But, the whole “lost episodes” thing is actually inaccurate and/or not true. ;)

A lot of fans didn’t realize that 3 other episodes still aired after “Freefall”...going into June of 1989. “Freefall” was of course aired as the series finale during the traditional May ratings/sweeps period back then. But, there were still 3 more episodes that NBC probably had to ‘contractually’ air. The episodes: “World of Trouble”, “Miracle Man”, and “Leap of Faith” actually did air on the network and in the show’s original time-slot. But, because everyone thought “Freefall” was the last to air, later in reruns those other episodes were thought to be unaired ones, and the whole lost episodes myth was born.

The only true “lost” episode was the one that NBC refused to air for supposedly being too inappropriate for the time: “Too Much Too Late”. It didn’t air for the first time until January of 1990 on the USA network, which was the first cable network to air MV reruns.

But, overall the set seems worth the price for the complete series (as I remember the Universal DVD sets were originally around $35-40 for each one). 

• Like 1

I watch the Mill Creek Blu Rays every night. I will be happy with those until I can find the Koch set for less than $300 US. :) 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I watch the Mill Creek Blu Rays every night. I will be happy with those until I can find the Koch set for less than $300 US. :) 

The Koch set has got to be WAY less before it’s worth getting yet another set of the episodes :rolleyes:...plus the colors/lighting look way too bright and neon. 

As for the Mill Creek set, it seems pretty good...just wish they were able to fit full screen, instead of the standard screen size.  

One thing I love about the Koch boxset is that they have Freefall featured last on the set and they have ‘lost episodes’ play before it. So Victims Of Circumstance plays then it skips Freefall and goes straight to World of Trouble and so on. 

All UK dvd and Blu-Ray releases follow the official order of broadcasts meaning all the sets end with Too Much Too Late. Years ago this confused me until I read the backstory online. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cassagrande.M said:

One thing I love about the Koch boxset is that they have Freefall featured last on the set and they have ‘lost episodes’ play before it. So Victims Of Circumstance plays then it skips Freefall and goes straight to World of Trouble and so on. 

All UK dvd and Blu-Ray releases follow the official order of broadcasts meaning all the sets end with Too Much Too Late. Years ago this confused me until I read the backstory online. 

Interesting...but all the U.S. sets have already done that, even the original Universal DVD sets had “Freefall” last, and all the other episodes before it. They also have always included “Too Much”. But, that’s good some other countries sets are following suit. :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

The Koch set has got to be WAY less before it’s worth getting yet another set of the episodes :rolleyes:...plus the colors/lighting look way too bright and neon. 

As for the Mill Creek set, it seems pretty good...just wish they were able to fit full screen, instead of the standard screen size.  

Glad you're enjoying!

On the screen thing, as I said here it's the only way to see the whole picture without cutting off a whole ton of it or distorting it.

It's because your TV is rectangular. If you ever get to play with a nice projector, that whole thing becomes irrelevant as the only thing you line up, and the only thing that is lit, is the square image.

It's actually a bigger picture in that respect, hence IMAX uses a much squarer size and you see that recently with Zack Snyder's Justice League, which plays like Miami Vice does on a rectangular TV screen but is actually a bigger picture, with more in it than the rectangle. Even though on a rectangular screen, it doesn't feel that way.

Projection gets round all of this and you can get great HD projectors for very little money these days, so it's more common than ever.

fm4F3FoR_o.jpg

17 hours ago, Dadrian said:

They have now sold all of the big box version, so with any luck they may make a regular plastic case version that is not exclusive to their website. It's the discs that are of interest to me, not all that packaging - the art they've commissioned is nice, but I'd be quite happy for it to be a regular sleeve with it on like the Mill Creek set, I don't need a shoebox. But that's personal preference and a moot point now as they've sold them all.

If I never get the chance, then I will sleep fine at night owning the same masters for vastly less money from another publisher. Completely different for their primary market who used to have terrible quality cut DVD versions and now have good German language options - that's what justifies that price tag for their home market fans :thumbsup:

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bodie said:

Glad you're enjoying!

On the screen thing, as I said here it's the only way to see the whole picture without cutting off a whole ton of it or distorting it.

It's because your TV is rectangular. If you ever get to play with a nice projector, that whole thing becomes irrelevant as the only thing you line up, and the only thing that is lit, is the square image.

It's actually a bigger picture in that respect, hence IMAX uses a much squarer size and you see that recently with Zack Snyder's Justice League, which plays like Miami Vice does on a rectangular TV screen but is actually a bigger picture, with more in it than the rectangle. Even though on a rectangular screen, it doesn't feel that way.

Projection gets round all of this and you can get great HD projectors for very little money these days, so it's more common than ever.

fm4F3FoR_o.jpg

They have now sold all of the big box version, so with any luck they may make a regular plastic case version that is not exclusive to their website. It's the discs that are of interest to me, not all that packaging - the art they've commissioned is nice, but I'd be quite happy for it to be a regular sleeve with it on like the Mill Creek set, I don't need a shoebox. But that's personal preference and a moot point now as they've sold them all.

If I never get the chance, then I will sleep fine at night owning the same masters for vastly less money from another publisher. Completely different for their primary market who used to have terrible quality cut DVD versions and now have good German language options - that's what justifies that price tag for their home market fans :thumbsup:

That would be cool to have a projector & screen...but that’s probably not gonna happen anytime soon. I’ll live with the standard size screen on my TV. ;) Plus, my Universal DVDs and others are full screen (and don’t cut anything out). 

As for the official home video sets, there’s supposedly only one set of masters they can use, and the Koch set is insanely WAY too expensive! I’m sorry, but regardless of what they’ve done, and with the colors & lighting being so neon-bright, it’s not worth $200-$300!! :eek: Im pretty well satisfied with the media I have now for MV. :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

That would be cool to have a projector & screen...but that’s probably not gonna happen anytime soon. I’ll live with the standard size screen on my TV. ;) Plus, my Universal DVDs and others are full screen (and don’t cut anything out). 

As for the official home video sets, there’s supposedly only one set of masters they can use, and the Koch set is insanely WAY too expensive! I’m sorry, but regardless of what they’ve done, and with the colors & lighting being so neon-bright, it’s not worth $200-$300!! :eek: Im pretty well satisfied with the media I have now for MV. :thumbsup: 

Cool, yeah. Your DVDs are the same picture format as the Blu-rays, but the old discs let you distort to fit a rectangle, as per these examples. Blu-ray keeps it correct, enjoy them in the aspect ratio the makers intended. Other copies can still be watched whenever - it's all MV :cheers:

• Like 1

I tried this out on my soundbar and the audio sounds better on the 2007 DVDs than DTS master audio, why is that?

Surely Dolby isn't better.

1 hour ago, bodie said:

Cool, yeah. Your DVDs are the same picture format as the Blu-rays, but the old discs let you distort to fit a rectangle, as per these examples. Blu-ray keeps it correct, enjoy them in the aspect ratio the makers intended. Other copies can still be watched whenever - it's all MV :cheers:

My originals, I don’t believe, have cropped or cut any of the picture out...but maybe the Universal DVD sets did? I’d prefer a full screen, but if the original ratio/standard size on the Blu-Rays includes the entire picture for sure, I’m cool with it! :funky: :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Interesting...but all the U.S. sets have already done that, even the original Universal DVD sets had “Freefall” last, and all the other episodes before it. They also have always included “Too Much”. But, that’s good some other countries sets are following suit. :thumbsup:

I actually didn’t know the US releases had Freefall at the end. Since the UK DVD sets I owned were in fact Universal releases I always assumed they were the same as the Universal releases from America. Guess not. Thank you for confirming. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cassagrande.M said:

I actually didn’t know the US releases had Freefall at the end. Since the UK DVD sets I owned were in fact Universal releases I always assumed they were the same as the Universal releases from America. Guess not. Thank you for confirming. 

I don’t know about UK’s releases, but in the U.S. I think Universal wanted to release the last season so it would make more sense...with the series finale at the very end, rather than go by original broadcast order—which was kind of a strange thing in the first place. :rolleyes: Although I don’t care for the finale (and having more episodes after it sort of makes it seem like maybe Crockett & Tubbs didn’t take off after all...), it was probably the right choice to make it at the end...which is what a finale is. 

3 hours ago, Cassagrande.M said:

There were a couple of cuts and different episode captions. And a vastly superior print of Smuggler's Blues :)

9 minutes ago, bodie said:

There were a couple of cuts and different episode captions. And a vastly superior print of Smuggler's Blues :)

On which set? 

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

On which set? 

The UK DVD features some very minor cuts to a season one episode (exactly which escapes me at the moment) to remove footage of a cock fight in line with the BBFC's animal cruelty laws.

It also has the pilot in two parts as per syndication, which means it loses a few little bits; I'm fairly sure the US DVDs included it as a single episode.

Edited by Leigh Burne
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2018 at 2:18 AM, bodie said:

Thanks, the stuttering and Zito's missing line they were told about many months ago - they had every opportunity, but clearly it didn't get through to the right people, or it wasn't possible.

Anyhow, extras and French audio aside, it sounds like the advancement on what Mill Creek did (once they issued the two corrected discs) is the stereo in lossless; the Mill Creek was only Dolby Digital 2.0 (192kbps) for the stereo.

What a shame, it looks like unless someone in Germany (like Koch) pics it up, there really is no hope for an error-free outing of the series in HD.

Sincere thanks for taking the time jpm1 :)

Can you please tell me if the Fabulous films boxset was also in Dolby Digital 2.0 because I have realized that my soundbar is not dts master only dolby digital, thanks. @bodie @ViceFanMan

Fabulous films is basically the same as Mills Creek?

Edited by RedDragon86

6 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

The UK DVD features some very minor cuts to a season one episode (exactly which escapes me at the moment) to remove footage of a cock fight in line with the BBFC's animal cruelty laws.

It also has the pilot in two parts as per syndication, which means it loses a few little bits; I'm fairly sure the US DVDs included it as a single episode.

Thanks for the info! As much as I loved them, the U.S. Universal DVDs still had the syndicated (edited/cut) split 2-part Pilot, too. I’ve just recently gotten the Mill Creek Blu-Ray set, and haven’t watched the Pilot (“Brother’s Keeper”) yet...but I see it’s listed as just one episode (and/or TV movie). That’s cool if they’ve made it back to one feature length episode/TV movie again!

However, I don’t know of any set from anyone that has the original, uncut/unedited Pilot...which was originally aired as just “Miami Vice”. I don’t know if the “Brother’s Keeper” title was an original script title, or one created later for syndication when it was split into 2-parts? But, I’m pretty sure for the Mill Creek Blu-Ray set (and any of the other sets that have the 2hr Pilot) they took the syndicated 2-parts and spliced them back together as one 2hr feature...which is cool, as it’s probably as close to the original Pilot as home video sets can get. 

20 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Can you please tell me if the Fabulous films boxset was also in Dolby Digital 2.0 because I have realized that my soundbar is not dts master only dolby digital, thanks. @bodie @ViceFanMan

Fabulous films is basically the same as Mills Creek?

I actually am not sure about the Fabulous Films set? @bodie will probably know more on that one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I actually am not sure about the Fabulous Films set? @bodie will probably know more on that one. 

After looking on various websites it states on 2 that it offers Dolby Digital. The DTS HD master audio on the back of the boxset cover is false information for this 2016 release (Fabulous Films) no wonder the sound on my bar is off, too sharp as I have it set on master audio and its Dolby.

Untitled.png.97c907346d6142ae0ae0901ed1136e1b.png

1dd.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

After looking on various websites it states on 2 that it offers Dolby Digital. The DTS HD master audio on the back of the boxset cover is false information for this 2016 release (Fabulous Films) no wonder the sound on my bar is off, too sharp as I have it set on master audio and its Dolby.

Untitled.png.97c907346d6142ae0ae0901ed1136e1b.png

1dd.png

That’s not cool that it states false info and/or false advertising! :o Hopefully you can get the sound issue worked out. 

8 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Yeah it's One Eyed Jack and then the ear clap in Golden Triangle. But as I say, the plus was a vastly superior print of Smuggler's Blues, and also single sided discs from the get-go and PAL vs. NTSC.