What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

A friend of mine who is musician and also loves Miami Vice, just sent me this link. Says it reminds him of Vice and I agree. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mjcmmv said:

A friend of mine who is musician and also loves Miami Vice, just sent me this link. Says it reminds him of Vice and I agree. 

Joe!! One of the greatest. 

• Like 1

THE ONLY ONE.....:cool:

Hello ! I'm Fernando Martinez And This ... Is Emotion....

See What You Think Mister Jan Hammer ?

Edited by Miami.Vice.1984
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, mjcmmv said:

when i was in boarding school back in the years, there was a guy in my room who was a huge heavy metal/hard rock fan. we used to call him the trasher. every day when it was the waking up time, he used to put some trash music to wake us up lol. now that i think back to it it was pretty funny actually. you may say how this could be tolerated in a school. actually it was a school for rich people, you know. you could do things there, you couldn't do elsewhere. all this to say that he told me once if you find me Satriani dreaming #11, it's super rare. and by chance i found it. man when i told him, he took the CD from my hands, like if he had seen the graal, you know :)

Edited by jpm1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpm1 said:

when i was in boarding school back in the years, there was a guy in my room who was a huge heavy metal/hard rock fan. we used to call him the trasher. every day when it was the waking up time, he used to put some trash music to wake us up lol. now that i think back to it it was pretty funny actually. you may say how this could be tolerated in a school. actually it was a school for rich people, you know. you could do things there, you couldn't do elsewhere. all this to say that he told me once if you find me Satriani dreaming #11, it's super rare. and by chance i found it. man when i told him, he took the CD from my hands, like if it had seen the graal, you know :)

Love it! That was a great memory!

• Thanks 1

The Spinners - I'll Be Around - 1972

vintage R&B  :radio:

A common reaction when people hear this song today is "Why don't they make music like this any more?"  Well, some people said the same thing back in 1972 and that was the challenge to the songwriter!

Thom Bell: One Friday afternoon in early ‘72, I was at Philadelphia’s Sigma Sound Studios producing a Stylistics record. When we finished, Vince Montana, a superb percussionist and a friend, started teasing me.

“Man, Thommy, I bet you can’t write a simple song with three chords, like the old doo-wop stuff.” I laughed and said, “Doo-wop was nice, Vince, but we’ve evolved.” He said, “Yeah, but I still bet you can’t do it. You need three legs to dance to some of this stuff.”

Back at my office that evening, I couldn’t shake Vince’s challenge. I turned to my piano and played a series of three-chord combinations. Eventually I landed on E major 7, G sharp minor and F sharp major 6 (Mr. Bell illustrates on the piano).

I realized I had the start of a song for Bobby Smith, the Spinners’ lead singer.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-story-behind-ill-be-around-1497783606

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, airtommy said:

The Spinners - I'll Be Around - 1972

vintage R&B  :radio:

A common reaction when people hear this song today is "Why don't they make music like this any more?"  Well, some people said the same thing back in 1972 and that was the challenge to the songwriter!

I remember listening to this back in the day. Great memories. Thanks for posting!

I thought one of my neighbours were having an 80's themed party tonight, it's been going on for hours. Only just found out it's an actual concert less than a mile away from where I live and it's been the real Nik Kershaw, Human League, Go West and Midge Ure performing this whole time. I shut the bedroom windows because it was getting annoying. :)  

• Haha 1

I found a good website which lists old albums and in the last couple of days I've listened / previewed about 200-250 albums randomly starting in 1987.

It took me awhile to figure out that CCM in the tags stood for Contemporary Christian music.

Let me tell you there's a lot of Arena Rock in the 80's praising Jesus ... 

I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld turning on the radio in Puddy's car. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

Anybody else think that this song should have been in the show? the irony and everything.

Great song, but yeah—maybe a bit too obvious. 

• Like 1

In one of the best scenes of Halt & Catch Fire's final season which is set throughout the 80's and about tech industry they used Dire Straits perfectly. 

• Like 2