What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

24 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Strange. Just last night I was wondering if that album would be worth checking out. Thanks! 

Edit: so it’s just a single :( 

I totally have the MVII album in literally every format, and have listened to it routinely since 1987 :) 

I do wish there was whole Andy Taylor set with the same vibe as “When the Rain Comes Down”.  Is there?? 

@Robbie C. are you talking about “Thunder”?

The song is indeed not on the "Thunder"-LP. I just received this album today on vinyl. I would still recommend it though! :) 

Edited by squeezem3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, squeezem3 said:

The song is indeed not on the "Thunder"-LP. I just received this album today on vinyl. I would still recommend it though! :) 

Right, I meant the one he said he listened to. 

I’m checking Thunder out on YouTube at the moment. So far, so good!

25 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Strange. Just last night I was wondering if that album would be worth checking out. Thanks! 

Edit: so it’s just a single :( 

I totally have the MVII album in literally every format, and have listened to it routinely since 1987 :) 

I do wish there was whole Andy Taylor set with the same vibe as “When the Rain Comes Down”.  Is there?? 

@Robbie C. are you talking about “Thunder”?

I am. I like it, especially "French Guitar." Must be the jazz roots showing, but I do have a preference for instrumentals. As far as I know, "Thunder" is the only album he ever did solo. There might be bootlegs or something out there...never really went looking.

• Like 1

You guys probably realize that Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols also worked on the “Thunder” album with Andy. Of course, Steve had a song on the same episode and MV album as Andy. “Well now, ain’t that cozy” :) 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

You guys probably realize that Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols also worked on the “Thunder” album with Andy. Of course, Steve had a song on the same episode and MV album as Andy. “Well now, ain’t that cozy” :) 

I did. An interesting collaboration. That was one of the fascinating things about music in the '80s; the sheer number of more or less unpublicized collaborations like that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pmconroy said:

Out of all their timeless hits, it’s hard to believe they only had one #1 song (the title track from this album). 

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Out of all their timeless hits, it’s hard to believe they only had one #1 song (the title track from this album). 

Yeah, this one in particular is a favorite of mine that is super underrated.

36 minutes ago, pmconroy said:

Yeah, this one in particular is a favorite of mine that is super underrated.

Agreed! Also, “Home by the Sea” (from “Genesis”). 

I suggested to a video-making member years ago to put some “Phil the Shill” footage to that song (opening with Phil looking out his big window), and he totally did it! Only the aspect ratio is off :( 

Still pretty cool though: 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Agreed! Also, “Home by the Sea” (from “Genesis”). 

I suggested to a video-making member years ago to put some “Phil the Shill” footage to that song (opening with Phil looking out his big window), and he totally did it! Only the aspect ratio is off :( 

Still pretty cool though: 

That song would have been great for like a night scene.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pmconroy said:

That song would have been great for like a night scene.

Absolutely!

Speaking of night scenes, I always picture the Testarossa driving across one of the causeways at night with the first few seconds of this song, with the remainder of it playing in the background of whatever scene followed. 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 2:51 PM, Dadrian said:

Absolutely!

Speaking of night scenes, I always picture the Testarossa driving across one of the causeways at night with the first few seconds of this song, with the remainder of it playing in the background of whatever scene followed. 

That would have been fantastic!

Apparently this was released in 1989 (I think) and man, it is just beautiful. Pretty much anyone who has ever been put on hold knows this tune. 

• Like 1

Love this song...beautiful words, and I can see this fitting into an emotional MV scene. 

Edited by mjcmmv
  • Like 2

Ah, the song that every Vice music guide used to claim was David Bowie's '82 re-do of "Cat People".

Maybe they switched tracks at the last minute.

22 hours ago, Leigh Burne said:

Ah, the song that every Vice music guide used to claim was David Bowie's '82 re-do of "Cat People".

Maybe they switched tracks at the last minute.

You know, I remember seeing that, too. It had always confused me!