What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

Kraftwerk's influence on electronic music cannot be overstated. Even some of Jan Hammer's stuff sounds like a continuation of Kraftwerk's groundbreaking work.

• Like 1

• Administrators
59 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Kraftwerk's influence on electronic music cannot be overstated. Even some of Jan Hammer's stuff sounds like a continuation of Kraftwerk's groundbreaking work.

Sounds like the 80s Daft Punk. :p

The great Joe Jackson back in his heyday with a fantastic line up of quality albums like Look Sharp! (1979), I'm The Man (1980) and Night and Music (1982) which are all musical gems in my book. Even though the critics where rather positive and he had some memorable hits, he never seemed to get the kind of "royal" treatment like Elvis Costello.

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

An unassuming, simple ballad, made with the idea in mind of creating an unassuming, simple ballad. And that's why this song works.

One of my all-time favorite ballads. Right up there with "Rough Boy" by ZZ Top, "When Love And Hate Collide" by Def Leppard, and "Let Her Cry" by Hootie & The Blowfish.

Also, in "Yankee Dollar", very neat timing of the song's ending with the moment Crockett  is turning away in shocked disbelief. Goes to show again that they just "went that extra step" on Miami Vice.

I liked this song when I heard it on Vice the first time, but it wasn't until a while later that I realized that the song was on the album "Mike & The Mechanics" which I had bought a while earlier, mainly because of "Silent Running".

That's an all around nice pop album, btw. Not outstanding, but definitely nice.

• Like 1

With an almost dreamlike and hypnotic melody/vocal part along with its haunting bass/synthlines, beautiful gems such as Have You Heard The News? and Candy truly stands out, not only from their 1982 debut album, The Party's Over but as one of Talk Talk's finest "hidden" gems, and as with much of their music, somehow they always makes me think of autumn and being in a very deep, dark woods at night.

Edited by ArtieRollins

Batman fans have been spoiled rotten for some time now, ever since Nolan/Bale picked up the mantle and gave the Dark Knight a well worthy comeback, but of all the animated/live action films since 2005, the 2012-13 Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was as close to perfection as one could come and even though I always liked Kevin Conroys, Batman/Bruce Wayne, Peter Weller gave the character a much needed breath of fresh air.

+1

But the 1989 version is my personal favorite. I was 9 years old, and except for my favorite TV show being cancelled, everything in the world was right. 

Kind of an unremarkable singer, this "Nina"... she's German, but based in England. Her career has kind of been shaping up to be that of a one hit wonder, but you have to appreciate the retro 80s bassline on this track, with a contemporaty twist. And the nicely done synth stabs that sound late 1970s.

This track was used for a Mercedes commercial on UK television.

Edited by Daytona74

On 14.8.2016 at 3:06 PM, MTVcops said:

Everytime this song gets played on radio, I always end up back to my childhood days, when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles mania was at its peak (1990-1993) and when the third movie came out, everybody was hoping it would be fantastic and include bad guys such as Baxxter Stockman, Bebop & Rocksteady, Krang, Rat King, Leather Head and we ended up with samurais, some snobby british bad guys and of course the fab four in Japan 1603. Talk about total bummer.

I remember at a birthday party of a friend of mine, he was so proud that his parents got a hold of the fresh VHS of TMNT 3 but excitement soon turned to disappointment as we saw our heroes dancing like crazies from the very beginning. Even us kids knew right then, that this is it. Turtles mania is done for.

What the heck where they (producers) thinking? One good thing though, or two, Elias Koteas returned as Casey Jones, and I was introduced to ZZ Top and their music.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention, yes Baltimora were also in Turtles 3, and of course as yet another ridiculous dance number too. 

They went from the rather dark and more serious tone of the first film, based on the original comics from 1984 instead of the more silly TV cartoon, but it was a film that still holds up very well considering it is a superhero movie and made in the late 80s. Before the Batman movies by Tim Burton most people in the movie business wanted nothing to do with superhero titles as Superman 3 and 4 pretty much screwed it up big time. Thanksfully Turtles was made and became one of the biggest grossing titles of the early 90s, sadly none of the sequels or remakes is any near but at last we got one great Turtle film, that is good enough for me.

And it had a pretty bad ass soundtrack too

Edited by ArtieRollins