What Are You Listening To Right Now?

James

Tommy Vercetti said:

The Great Silence is a great film. It's another film I discovered through Moviedrome. That and Django, which is fantastic. Both by the same director Sergio Corbucci.
It's unusual to have a western in the snow and it matched the bleak tone of the film. Great Morricone score too. One of the best westerns ever

I got a special DVD edition of The Great Silence from a friend of min, two years ago. He loves westerns but somehow couldn't stand the original ending. So I gladly said "Thanks and if you have any other bleak, winter westerns lying around, you know where to find me."

Kinski was fenomenal. One of his finest and most evil roles.

I bought a cheap DVD box set with 4 italian westerns just a couple of months ago, and even though 3 of them were rather bad, it was well worth it, as the fourth film was Keoma (1976), with Franco Nero. 

Edited by ArtieRollins

The first and only Nightwish album I bought, back in spring 2003. 

I never could get into the whole album, but I really enjoyed parts of their songs, especially Bless The Child. The build up and outro were really good, but the vocal and over-the-top Hans Zimmer solo stuff thrown in later on, did not work well for me.

Sometimes It feels like I just re-watch movies just to hear the awesome scores, instead of wanting to see the actual film:)

(Can't believe James Horner passed away, that was random.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thedeparted94 said:

Sometimes It feels like I just re-watch movies just to hear the awesome scores, instead of wanting to see the actual film:)

(Can't believe James Horner passed away, that was random.)

Sad - he did some great scores

1 hour ago, thedeparted94 said:

You're not alone. Some movies I just can't wait for certain scenes, because I know how good the music is. But this does not always sit well if I watch it with friends or family, as I often, without thinking about it, adjust the volume to the max, right before the music sets in, and I can re-watch it 10 times in a row, just for a couple of seconds of music.

James Horner had so many great ones, and when I mentions Commando (1985) as my favorite soundtrack of his, people seem to think I am some kind of looney on the run from a mental hospital or something. It's a fantastic, upbeat and really great action score, that fits the tone of the film to perfection.

Another great Horner contribution is one Don Bluths 80s animation classic, The Land Before Time (1988), sung by Diana Ross. I was truly scared of Sharptooth as a kid, and the film was the like the 80s version of The Lion King (1994).

• Like 1

Gotta love the titles of some of Horner's instrumentals: 

Soldier Gets Pitchfork :) (and another one gets scalped, then another one gets an axe to his crotch, then another one soldier gets his arm chopped off, then his bloody arm gets thrown at him afterwards)

Here's the classic scene in all it's (violent and totally over-the-top, "I can't believe this macho bullshit") glory:

• Like 2

Steve Martin had quite a ride in the late 80s with comedy gems such as Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) but since he shared the bill with John Candy and Michael Caine,  Roxanne (1987) is more a typical slapstick-comedy Steve Martin solo film, and seemed to be a bit of a hit and miss for many, but for me it has been a favorite since I was a kid.

"Can I fluff your pillows?" :)

My father was a firefighter and he was the one who let me stay up late at night, the day before school, to see it, but then again he also loved the film, and it felt good to share the love for a movie with my own dad, even though my mum couldn't stand Steve Martin and his acting.

Great music by Bruce Smeaton, one can never go wrong with a little dose of saxophone music in the end credits.

Edited by ArtieRollins

26 minutes ago, ArtieRollins said:

Here's the classic scene in all it's (violent and totally over-the-top, "I can't believe this macho bullshit") glory:

I saw Commando hundreds of times as a kid but they never played that scene on TV (for obvious reasons). So It was pretty cool when I finally saw the unedited version years later. (Best part is arnold chopping the guys arm off lol)

------

Talking 'bout films with great soundtracks. I love this movie.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, thedeparted94 said:

That song was also used in the Driver 2 end credits. Such a great song. :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, thedeparted94 said:

I saw Commando hundreds of times as a kid but they never played that scene on TV (for obvious reasons). So It was pretty cool when I finally saw the unedited version years later. (Best part is arnold chopping the guys arm off lol)

I remember watching the unrated or theatrical cut (at that time) on TV back in summer of 2002 and it was rather glorious moment for me, as it become one of my all time favorite films. Not long after, I ordered the 2001 region 2 DVD copy, with a badass DVD cover, but what I got was a badly edited version, and I mean really bad. There were literally whole scenes that were cut out and destroyed.

Still, somehow they left the brief nudity in the motel scene with the big titted woman and her toyboy, intact.

I love how both india and russia have made their own remakes of the film, scene by scene, but nothing beats the original: 

Like the classic airplane scene where Arnie or John Matrix breaks the neck of bad guy, Henriquez, then puts a blanket and his hat on, then tells the stewardess "Please don't disturb my friend, he's dead tired". In the region 2 version, we see Arnie sits down with the bad guy, next thing he's dead and Arnie is already on his way out of the plane. Horrible editing, and I was so angry that I demanded my money back or that the local music and movie store could switch this butchered piece of crap into the original version instead.

Still to this day, I don't think the theatrical cut is out on region 2 DVD, only on region 1. I found an unrated VHS copy in Denmark with all the violence intact the same year.

In 2007 we got the director's cut version, that included a bit more scenes and a little more blood. Also this version was released in 2015 on Blu-ray.

Edited by ArtieRollins

I absolutely love prog rock songs that are long and narrative and go through different variations.

Am 30.8.2016 um 00:10 schrieb thedeparted94:

Same here. One of my all-time favorite movies.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

I remember waiting for several hours of going through the usual generic, crappy rap/hip-hop/boy/girl band/wannabe rockstars etc, that and having Christina Aguilera as the host, plus tons, and tons of commercials, to finally get to the main event on MTV European/Music Awards 2003  The best moment came around 03:17 as it clearly became a little too much for some to handle, as the german legends lay down their minimalistic approach with style, as one member in the audience, probably drunk or just not a big fan of electronic music, suddenly shouted out "MTV, What the fuck is this?". :) That line and Kraftwerks appearance (well Kylie Minogue gets my vote too), was totally worth the torture of being fed almost 4 hours of crap music. 

The Keep is a strange Mann flick but the score awesome. Tangerine Dream were killing it in the late 70s/early 80s. I'm a big fan of their scores for "Sorcerer", "Thief"…AND "Risky Buisness". It's all great stuff.:D

Edited by thedeparted94
  • Like 1

Near Dark (1987) and Firestarter (1984) have some great moments too, maybe not as even as say Risky Business or Thief but Tangerine Dream sure did produce a lot beautiful and haunting themes for both the film and TV industry.

• Like 1