BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS!

COOPER&BURNETT

vor 33 Minuten schrieb Tom:

DJ 5'10 is not short. That´s pretty much exactly average for males (the ones born now, not the ones born in 1949 like DJ). And he´s exactly the same height as PMT (officially given with 1,78m). I´ve never heard anyone mocking PMT as being short?

He´s 178cm (5´10)-although officially given 5'11. Phil Collins is 168cm and we can see exactly that difference on the picture.

I agree, Tom, it's a normal height for men,except of you are a woman with a heihgt of 180 cm or more as my daughter in laws sister, who's 199 cm tall.:D

• Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

I never said he was short. ?(

Your statement "Don is always happy to find someone shorter than him" insinuates that he is smaller than most others. ?(

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

Your statement "Don is always happy to find someone shorter than him" insinuates that he is smaller than most others. ?(

Actually, I was just going on some things I’d seen over the years about him refusing to work with actors taller than him at times. May not be true. I think his own website saying he’s 6’1” or something, so there’s that... :eek:

I personally don’t care if he’s 4’7” or 7’4”—he was Sonny Crockett, and that will always be enough for me. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

vor 10 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Actually, I was just going on some things I’d seen over the years about him refusing to work with actors taller than him at times.

Never heard of that. With 5’10 he has no reason for a Hobbit complex. :D
I think you mix him up with Tom Cruise who is smaller than Phil Collins and plays James Bond like superheroes. Tom often wears special shoes and sometimes stands on elevated ground. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Never heard of that. With 5’10 he has no reason for a Hobbit complex. :D
I think you mix him up with Tom Cruise who is smaller than Phil Collins and plays James Bond like superheroes. Tom often wears special shoes and sometimes stands on elevated ground. 

I don’t think it’s possible to confuse anyone with Tom Cruise :p

I had to search where I (accidentally) came across this wild thread with ppl fighting about DJs height sometime back. It was a dumpster fire if I remember correctly! :) 

I think this is it:

https://www.celebheights.com/s/Don-Johnson-1061.html

• Like 1

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

I don’t think it’s possible to confuse anyone with Tom Cruise :p

I had to search where I (accidentally) came across this wild thread with ppl fighting about DJs height sometime back. It was a dumpster fire if I remember correctly! :) 

I think this is it:

Oh yes that‘s what I thought. That’s a Rick Bravo statement and his size is not exactly documented somewhere either.

DJ is exactly as tall as PMT. you can see that in every episode and PMT is given with 178cm on the same website. And it is simply not possible to add much height in the designer made espandrille type of loafers DJ was wearing on the show. So much for this discussion.

And I‘m still waiting for any credible source for DJ ever rejecting to film with someone taller ?(

Edited by Tom

vor 1 Minute schrieb Crockettt:

I have seen this picture before and this is BTS from Whatever Works.

Yes, thanks, the background looked familiar. That´s the house in Glenvar Heights with the shooting in the garden at the end.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

And I‘m still waiting for any credible source for DJ ever rejecting to film with someone taller ?(

Sorry. Don’t have one, never thought I did, and never claimed to. I’ve read that in more than one place, but it really doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. I don’t think DJ has a complex, and he’s the greatest. I apologize for opening all this with my little comment. I had no idea it was this big of a deal. 

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

Sorry. Don’t have one, never thought I did, and never claimed to. I’ve read that in more than one place, but it really doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. I don’t think DJ has a complex, and he’s the greatest. I apologize for opening all this with my little comment. I had no idea it was this big of a deal. 

It‘s not a big deal but if that is claimed (and it was) then I would like to see where because I have truly done lots of research on MV and Never heard about it.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

It‘s not a big deal but if that is claimed (and it was) then I would like to see where because I have truly done lots of research on MV and Never heard about it.

I’ve done no research. As I said, just casually came across said things over the years, which are by no means concrete evidence. 

15 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’ve done no research. As I said, just casually came across said things over the years, which are by no means concrete evidence. 

There was a huge discussion about his height on this website.

Edited by RedDragon86
Deleted website

14 hours ago, Dadrian said:

4 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

There was a huge discussion about his height on this website.

It’s turning into a huge discussion here too :) 

I’m really sorry I brought it up. Crockett is a great hero and deserves no comments that could be perceived as being negative. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

On 12/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, Dadrian said:

I’m really sorry I brought it up. Crockett is a great hero and deserves no negative comments. 

I think things get misinterpreted sometimes on here, I know myself from experience I say one thing but I didn't mean anything by it.

If I had a view on his height I would say he is more closer to 5'11 when you think he almost matched John Turturro's height at the entrance of his home in "Rites of Passage" and he is 6'1.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I’m really sorry I brought it up. Crockett is a great hero and deserves no comments that could be perceived as being negative. 

I’m going to weigh in on the topic in general.  I’ll start with the fact that I have no idea if DJ didn’t want to work with actors taller than him.  I do know, from personal experience, that men who would not be considered  short, sometimes have issues around taller men.  I am 6-7 and have experienced this more than people would expect.  Sometimes it’s a flippant comment that I make a guy look short, but you know there’s something behind a statement like that.  The most unbelievable to me involved a good friend of my college roommate.  They were both about 6-0 to 6-1, so not short by any measure.  He quit hanging around with us and some other friends and when I asked my roommate about it, he told me that his friend flat out stated that it made him feel short.  

Dadrian, I don’t agree that your statement insinuated that DJ was short, but rather that he may have avoided working with taller actors.  That’s very different, and actually not all that unusual in Hollywood.  Robert Conrad wore lifts and at least early in his career didn’t work with taller actors.  I’ve read about such clauses being included in contracts.  I’ve also personally  seen casting calls for actors no taller than a certain height like 6-0, and it wasn’t because the role required it.  Again, I don’t know this to be true of DJ, but I don’t see it as unusual or even unlikely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pahonu said:

Dadrian, I don’t agree that your statement insinuated that DJ was short, but rather that he may have avoided working with taller actors.  That’s very different, and actually not all that unusual in Hollywood.  Robert Conrad wore lifts and at least early in his career didn’t work with taller actors.  I’ve read about such clauses being included in contracts.  I’ve also personally  seen casting calls for actors no taller than a certain height like 6-0, and it wasn’t because the role required it.  Again, I don’t know this to be true of DJ, but I don’t see it as unusual or even unlikely.

On top of that, I think actors are on average taller than normal people. So an actor with an average height is relatively (!) small.

I remember a reporter (?) telling about his mini-role in MV (I even think DJ somehow got it for him). I don't remember the episode, unfortunately. He played a bartender. And he was very tall. They had to get extra clothes for him because the actors in MV were usually smaller. Maybe the producers also wanted to have actors who were smaller than DJ.

1 hour ago, Glades said:

Maybe the producers also wanted to have actors who were smaller than DJ.

Perhaps...and not as an egotistical thing—C&T had to appear as “larger than life” heroes on even a subliminal level. 

I’m sure there are a few exceptions, but a prime example is in The Fix. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only times DJ and William Russell are in the same frame is when they are seated on the park bench (which conveniently also lent to the non-threatening essence of Crockett’s approach).

Also, I think there’s a lot to be said for symmetry from an aesthetic standpoint—the only time you really want people to look smaller is for obvious situations, such as “Louis” being such a tall “gal” as “she” threatens the little croissant shop owner at the beginning of Florence Italy

In a sentence, I believe that in any art form, unintended asymmetry is a distraction that all artists (including directors/cinematographers) want to avoid, and the people who worked on MV were definitely aware of such visual attributes. 

• Like 3

Tom:  Thank you for all these incredible photos!

I haven’t been to Miami in almost 20 years, (was there with the first wife during my first life...), so my location knowledge is quite weak.

I was a cop for over 20 years, (mostly as a Detective and SWAT Operator, with my last few years before retirement as an Inspector for the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office) so most of my posts and comments are about how often the show got the little details of undercover work and partner relationships so so right.  

I’m also a couple years over 50, so I watched the show and wore the clothes and listened to the music and just LIVED the 80’s in real time.  (Still do almost every day!)

BUT...  I’m a huge geek for all the BTS photos and deep info on the making of the show, the actor’s relationships, props, etc.

So again, thank you for all of this.   For your original work and your preservation.

Edited by Marco Falcone
Grammar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Perhaps...and not as an egotistical thing—C&T had to appear as “larger than life” heroes on even a subliminal level. 

I’m sure there are a few exceptions, but a prime example is in The Fix. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the only times DJ and William Russell are in the same frame is when they are seated on the park bench (which conveniently also lent to the non-threatening essence of Crockett’s approach).

Also, I think there’s a lot to be said for symmetry from an aesthetic standpoint—the only time you really want people to look smaller is for obvious situations, such as “Louis” being such a tall “gal” as “she” threatens the little croissant shop owner at the beginning of Florence Italy

In a sentence, I believe that in any art form, unintended asymmetry is a distraction that all artists (including directors/cinematographers) want to avoid, and the people who worked on MV were definitely aware of such visual attributes. 

Many years ago while being on vacation in SF, I had the great luck of standing face to face with DJ and even got to exchange a few words with him. And I have to say I was really surprised for a moment that he wasn't any taller than myself, but practically the same hight. I'm 5.9 ft / 179cm, so pretty much the 'average', but that's apparently considered to be already on the shorter side in the acting business.

I guess "the larger tan life" effect applies to all screen heroes and that is in-fact a subliminal image which we create ourselves in the first place but is also carefully maintained by the industry. E.g. Humphrey Bogart had to stand on an apple crate for the kissing scenes with Ingrid Bergman in 'Casablanca', and also Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone are somewhat on the shorter side at around 5.6/5.7 ft and tricks are used in almost all their movies in particular when their female co-stars are taller, like Cameron Diaz or Rosamunde Pike in the case of Tom Cruise

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

vor 2 Stunden schrieb daytona365:

Many years ago while being on vacation in SF, I had the great luck of standing face to face with DJ and even got to exchange a few words with him. And I have to say I was really surprised for a moment he wasn't any taller than myself, but practically the same hight. I'm 5.9 ft / 179cm, so pretty much the 'average', but that's apparently considered to be already on the shorter side in the acting business.

I guess "the larger tan life" applies to all screen heroes and that is in-fact a subliminal image which we create ourselves in the first place but is also carefully maintained by the industry. E.g. Humphrey Bogart had to stand on an apple crate for the kissing scenes with Ingrid Bergman in 'Casablanca', and also Tom Cruise and Sylvester Stallone are somewhat on the shorter side at around 5.6/5.7 ft and tricks are used in almost all their movies in particular when their female co-stars are taller, like Cameron Diaz or Rosamunde Pike in the case of Tom Cruise

Selber Name, selbe Grösse, Du wirst mir unheimlich!?:p

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Selber Name, selbe Grösse, Du wirst mir unheimlich!?:p

Deshalb habe ich nicht verwendet “Jan Hammer” 
Edited by Dadrian