The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

I discovered it is very common for these cars to run hot like that. Rowley has a fix which basically opens up the area where the wipers are to let air flow through (worth your time to check out his website). The Daytona differs from the Vette in that everything below the headlights is open' date=' and air should flow freely into the car. But if the vents in the hood are not open, as in some cars, then the hot air tends to choke the car out and cause vapor lock and over heating. Also the radiator is angled in the front, and if air is simply shooting over or around the radiator you get overheating.My mechanic ended up solving the problem by proper sealing around the radiator (to force air to flow through it) and using electric fans. I have since had no issues, and went through a very hot summer with the car last year.[/quote'] Interesting on this. My hood vents are open and so do let air flow through them. Are your vents open also?And my radiator is angled backward like you described as well. Can't picture what you mean though about sealing around the radiator as there is a lot of space there. Are you talking about some sort of insulation? And my non-functioning second fan could be a big part of the problem as well. My temps got up around 220 with the AC on and sitting at a stop light. How hot is your car running typically now in the summer?

so hold on this area should be open just like on the real daytona to let air through and cool the engine?Not surprised.Eingefügtes Bildso he basicallly cuts open the piece infront of the windshield wipers to let air through and leave the engine compartment?http://rowleycorvette.com/gtc.htmlEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand the website is working again' date=' one of these days I'm going to have to go down just to see if a daytona is actually there.[/quote'] Yes-- even though the shot of my raised hood here doesn't show it, the vents are indeed open.

Interesting on this. My hood vents are open and so do let air flow through them. Are your vents open also?And my radiator is angled backward like you described as well. Can't picture what you mean though about sealing around the radiator as there is a lot of space there. Are you talking about some sort of insulation? And my non-functioning second fan could be a big part of the problem as well. My temps got up around 220 with the AC on and sitting at a stop light. How hot is your car running typically now in the summer?
The area behind the headlights is very open and air can flow in freely. That is good for the engine. The air that flows in there should be forced over the radiator surface to provide for cooling. If the area around the radiator is open for air to flow through' date=' it will take the path of least resistance. Even with fans, your radiator will be less effective in cooling if there is space for air to circulate between the engine compartment and the headlight area without passing through the radiator.[ATTACH=CONFIG']3122[/ATTACH]I had to seal that area off so that air had no where to go except through the radiator. I even made sure that when the hood was down the area on top was closed off. They used dense foam insulation. Then the radiator gets enough air to keep everything at the proper level. My temp runs around 180 with the car moving, and will get up to between 190-200 sitting for a long period (more than a traffic light). With the A/C off, it will actually run a little cooler than 180. Before we plugged the holes I changed the radiator out for a new one, and changed out all the hoses. A simple process that takes into account simple principles (cold air cools hot water).Yes, my vents are open, but many hoods are built with those vents sealed up.

post-109-13892963462139_thumb.jpg

No I think the first photo is of his cover which seems to be a touch greyer, the second is the stuntcar and the tonau cover did get loose during the bought and paid for chase scene:and actually he brings up an interesting point about the radiator, you may want to have it checked out and flushed to make sure its in good condition, the radiator is usually what causes most overheating problems on a restoration project since it's made out of steel and filled with water, so if it sits for awhile guess what starts to happen.3:20http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnCRXECVtC4

post-592-13892963461941_thumb.jpg

So the first pic is of the actual Camera Car tonneau as it is today? Must be the lighting as it looks kind of light gray. I see what you mean about the snaps and looks better than mine--on mine the snaps are visible all around. And remembering your earlier comment the front of this cover doesn't drape forward more than about 2 inches I think' date=' and leaves the area behind the seats open to the folded convertible top frame, I believe. I see what you mean in pic2 about the stunt car cover. Probably would lose this cover during chase scenes, I would think, without that center snap.[/quote']The tonneau used on the show did have visible snaps on both cars. The snaps were chrome. The tonneaus on both cars were Connelly leather, and the original one from the Stunt car was still in decent shape even though it had seen no attention in years. (Ignore the color, as the lighting was less than ideal the day I shot the Camera Car--but then I WAS taking picture of the actual car so the lighting was not my first concern!!)The top frame sits even with the top of that area, so the result is a small area for luggage, etc. (check out YANKEE DOLLAR, Crockett's girlfriends bag rides behind the seat).The corners were prone to come unsnapped (ala BOUGHT AND PAID FOR). My top and roof actually has Ferrari locking snaps at the two corner locations which help keep my tonneau in place and keep the top snug.The tonneau give the car a more "finished" look, but it was rarely used in Season 1.

Actually Sonny with that in mind you could go for a black tonau cover instead to replicate the look of the car in the first seasonEingefügtes Bildthat way you can have access to the luggage compartment behind the seats and it doesnt look like theres a really dark area that doesnt match the seats behind them.actually it looks like it had a black cover to begin with:

post-592-13892963462349_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963462566_thumb.jpg

Actually Sonny with that in mind you could go for a black tonau cover instead to replicate the look of the car in the first seasonthat way you can have access to the luggage compartment behind the seats and it doesnt look like theres a really dark area that doesnt match the seats behind them.actually it looks like it had a black cover to begin with:

Yes' date=' it was black, and note that the snaps are covered. The cover is purely optional, anyway. You see very plainly at the beginning of HEART OF DARKNESS the uncovered top with the latch arms and the headliner cover.[ATTACH=CONFIG']3125[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963462757_thumb.jpg

Actually Sonny with that in mind you could go for a black tonau cover instead to replicate the look of the car in the first seasonEingefügtes Bildthat way you can have access to the luggage compartment behind the seats and it doesnt look like theres a really dark area that doesnt match the seats behind them.actually it looks like it had a black cover to begin with:

My cover I have now is black, but I really like the look of the tan cover. For the other variables between S1 and S2, still trying to decide what look I really want between the Seasons. Think I want tinted lenses, but not too dark, and tan tonneau cover.

Funny you would say that. My car apparently sat in a garage for a long while (years) before the owner sold it. I noticed the coolant overflow reservoir was filled with a greenish sludge. Apparently if you let coolant sit for that long it can congeal. And it did, so I had the Vette mechanic chemically flush the system and scrub the coolant tank. No leaks were found and seems ok.

Hmmm.. are you guys sure that the black tonneau was actually used in season 1? Aside from that possible "pre-MV" pic it looks like those pics are just showing the convertible top to me...

3122[/ATTACH]I had to seal that area off so that air had no where to go except through the radiator. I even made sure that when the hood was down the area on top was closed off. They used dense foam insulation. Then the radiator gets enough air to keep everything at the proper level. My temp runs around 180 with the car moving, and will get up to between 190-200 sitting for a long period (more than a traffic light). With the A/C off, it will actually run a little cooler than 180. Before we plugged the holes I changed the radiator out for a new one, and changed out all the hoses. A simple process that takes into account simple principles (cold air cools hot water).Yes, my vents are open, but many hoods are built with those vents sealed up.

Thanks for the details on this JN. I will check into the insulation when I get back in the shop. I haven't changed my radiator yet.

No there wasn't a black tonau cover being used on it for the pilot, its just that, that area looked black because of the black carpet that was used on it and thus matched the top of the car when the tonau was off for S1.in S2 when the tonau was on it cast a shadow that made it look like a section of the car was missing from behind Crockett whenever he drove it, atleast to me.Actually Sonny I think you could somewhat rectify that by having both the carpet and the leather be of the same color instead of tan with a black carpet like on the MV car for that area behind the seats.

No there wasn't a black tonau cover being used on it for the pilot' date=' its just that, that area looked black because of the black carpet that was used on it and thus matched the top of the car when the tonau was off for S1.in S2 when the tonau was on it cast a shadow that made it look like a section of the car was missing from behind Crockett whenever he drove it, atleast to me.Actually Sonny I think you could somewhat rectify that by having both the carpet and the leather be of the same color instead of tan with a black carpet like on the MV car for that area behind the seats.[/quote'] So have we concluded about the color of the S1 tonneau cover? I know it is not on the car pretty frequently. But I'm not fond of that as when I've done it it just doesn't give the car a very polished look, IMO. What did CD post about the back deck? Thought the carpet was black and the walls tan leather.

Sonny I think your confused I was just responding to Jagvic and yes it was tan leather all around with a black carpet back there and the cover atleast in the show was always tan leather.I was just thinking that a glossy black leather cover would look good on your car like on this one:http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/14122/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[pointer]=1-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[RET]=63&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[MODE]=makeEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand prevent that optical illusion that bothered me from happening on your car

Sonny I think your confused I was just responding to Jagvic and yes it was tan leather all around with a black carpet back there and the cover atleast in the show was always tan leather.I was just thinking that a glossy black leather cover would look good on your car like on this one:http://www.finecars.cc/en/detail/car/14122/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[pointer]=1-2&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[RET]=63&tx_anamerashowroom_pi1[MODE]=makeEingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bildand prevent that optical illusion that bothered me from happening on your car

Didn't realize you were responding to Jagvic. Glossy black is something new and looks pretty good here. And I get it that it would not draw the eye to the space behind the seats like a tan cover would, but I am pretty determined to copy the camera car to match one or the other of the show seasons.

Oh OK... I am just trying to keep straight what was actually used on the car during filming vs. people's opinions of what might look better than that on their own vehicle. Since I am not as lucky as some of you guys to own a Daytona, and my model is going to be as exact a replica as possible of the car as used during filming, I just try to focus on how the cars were exactly! (of course I can't complain too much - I have a 1977 Jaguar XJ-S project in the garage that will be pretty cool itself - and get more use thand a convertible up here in Massachusetts!)

Sonny one possibility is to just have a flap hanging down from your tonneau if the space bothers you... If it's tan it will blend in with the interior but of course be unoriginal...Also I'm curious - are you thinking of making your interior like the camera car now or while in the show with the original door panels?

Alright I gotcha but I gotta ask are you going to go with a tan leather interior with black carpeting like that of MV car as well or are you still trying to make up your mind on what color of carpeting your going to go for and possibly the color of leather your going to use?

Jag just a quick note about the daytonas interior the middle console and the gages were covered in balta wood, but thats not wood under the glove box, its carpet actually, and its the same on the drivers side, all this time I though that was wood under the glove box, it did match the center console originally actually.Eingefügtes Bild

post-592-13892963462963_thumb.jpg

Alright I gotcha but I gotta ask are you going to go with a tan leather interior with black carpeting like that of MV car as well or are you still trying to make up your mind on what color of carpeting your going to go for and possibly the color of leather your going to use?

Yes am going to duplicate the camera car there to the extent possible. I am tearing out my tan carpets and putting in Wilton black and even though my seats are Connolly and the correct color, the leather is very worn so am replacing all the leather in the car. Adding leather to the back deck sidewalls as well, though I will leave the rear speakers in the rear back deck wall. Haven't decided on the black stripe on the back of the seats. What's holding up the show is the complete dash assembly for the Vette, as the leather customization will start there and move to the doors and seats.

Oh OK... I am just trying to keep straight what was actually used on the car during filming vs. people's opinions of what might look better than that on their own vehicle. Since I am not as lucky as some of you guys to own a Daytona' date=' and my model is going to be as exact a replica as possible of the car as used during filming, I just try to focus on how the cars were exactly! (of course I can't complain too much - I have a 1977 Jaguar XJ-S project in the garage that will be pretty cool itself - and get more use thand a convertible up here in Massachusetts!)[/quote'] A 77 Jag, that's got to look sweet when you're done!

Sonny one possibility is to just have a flap hanging down from your tonneau if the space bothers you... If it's tan it will blend in with the interior but of course be unoriginal...Also I'm curious - are you thinking of making your interior like the camera car now or while in the show with the original door panels?

That's one of the things I haven't decided on. My current door panels are very similar to what Camera has right now. I was planning to copy the doors with the big pockets but after the education in this thread, and seeing the new panels, I am considering leaving them but with changing out the leather and handles.

actually I think its the same color carpet that was used on the testarossaand also you may want to look into that kind of insulation that Jay Leno used for that 66 Galaxy, Dynamat insulation:http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/articles/jay-leno-a-firm-believer-in-restomodding---article/index.php?page=2http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/muscle-cars/restoration-blog-1966-ford-galaxie-ultimate-edition/he said it made one hell of a difference in the comfort of the car and it's very light

post-592-13892963463152_thumb.jpg

That's one of the things I haven't decided on. My current door panels are very similar to what Camera has right now. I was planning to copy the doors with the big pockets but after the education in this thread' date=' and seeing the new panels, I am considering leaving them but with changing out the leather and handles.[/quote'] I also don't think they were actually pockets but just an arm rest according to all the views I've been able to find. Certainly they are rather plain and not very Ferrari-esque! It's just too bad Camera's car didn't still have them - I mean there should be one car around that looks EXACT ...And yeah the Jag will be a fun ride when it's done, and there are very few 1970's XJ-Ss remaining - they all rotted away years ago!