The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Alright well atleast we've got that cleared up and after looking at this photo and messuring it the one on the daytona seems to have atleast a 13.5 diamiter, although it has a tendancy too zoom in too much with this one so I might be alittle offhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/images/61/1_MV-Interior_etc_027-reduced.JPGsorry about the radius and diamiter thing its been awhile since I've done anything with that.

Alright well atleast we've got that cleared up and after looking at this photo and messuring it the one on the daytona seems to have atleast a 13.5 diamiterhttp://www.miamiviceonline.com/photoplog/images/61/1_MV-Interior_etc_027-reduced.JPG

Well you must have a calibrated eyeball ;) or something because I need a point of reference to determine steering wheel diameter from this photo. What makes you confident on that? I did PM CameraDaytona and hope he answers me.

lol indeed I took a tape messure to it on my computer, I messured the space between the horn and the edge and since it was so zoomed in I divided it by 2.I admit its a guesstimate but I'm usually not that off with this kinda thing, give or take about half an inch. although just on principal I would probably look for one thats the exact length as the one already on there unless it turns out the one on the daytona is 12.5, atleast we've got half a day before the auction to know for sure, hopefully.

lol indeed I took a tape messure to it on my computer' date=' I messured the space between the horn and the edge and since it was so zoomed in I divided it by 2.I admit its a guesstimate but I'm usually not that off with this kinda thing, give or take about half an inch. although just on principal I would probably look for one thats the exact length as the one already on there unless it turns out the one on the daytona is 12.5, atleast we've got half a day before the auction to know for sure, hopefully.[/quote'] An inch less on the diameter concerns me. So would like verify but almost out of time..

Indeed, ill keep looking around there may be another momo veloce burried somewhere that's 13.5 in diamiterand I found one, it doesnt say veloce on it but the box does and it looks to be the same shape and has a diamiter of 350mm /13.5:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-STEERING-WHEEL-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa8985a24QQitemZ320656136740QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It does say veloce on the box though, the last photo on the righthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-STEERING-WHEEL-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa8985a24QQitemZ320656136740QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Sonny are you keen on having one without the white veloce lettering on it, or should I keep looking for the one with the lettering?

makes sense since alfa romeo hubs kept poping up when I typed that in.Momo veloce = momo fast, hmm seems sort of like the ferrari f430 scuderia which translates to ferrari f430 team.actually on the back of that steering wheel that I'm looking at it says type V36 kba 7006Zhttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-STEERING-WHEEL-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa8985a24QQitemZ320656136740QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesmaybe it was really just a brand name and the true name of the wheel is on the back of itCameradaytona if you see this can you check the back of your steering wheel please and report back what it says on the back of it, it seems like the veloce name isnt the true name of the wheel and I wonder if thats the same one I'm looking at here for sonny, it would help us pin down what kind of wheel were looking for and whether or not they still make the one that was used on the MV cars.and thanks cooper for pointing that out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-STEERING-WHEEL-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa8985a24QQitemZ320656136740QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories Sonny are you keen on having one without the white veloce lettering on it, or should I keep looking for the one with the lettering?

Yes would really like one as pictured in Camera's car. He did PM me today and confirm his diameter is 13.5", just like my wood Nardi wheel. Help is appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-STEERING-WHEEL-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aa8985a24QQitemZ320656136740QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesmaybe it was really just a brand name and the true name of the wheel is on the back of itCameradaytona if you see this can you check the back of your steering wheel please and report back what it says on the back of it, it seems like the veloce name isnt the true name of the wheel and I wonder if thats the same one I'm looking at here for sonny, it would help us pin down what kind of wheel were looking for and whether or not they still make the one that was used on the MV cars.and thanks cooper for pointing that out.

Not following you. Momo is the maker and Veloce is the model.

Not necessarily that box says veloce on it even though the back of the wheel says type 36 and theres no veloce lettering on it to begin with and after running a search on momo type 36 a bunch of other momo wheels poped up with the same name (type 36) and they more or less had the same shape.and I'm just curious what the back of the wheel says on the camera car and I thought it may help me pin down a modern one for you since the veloce thing may have just been a name they dropped(although now that I know you want one with that lettering it does make this point redundant unless Brian W wants one)after all I saw some period literature for the momo steering wheels of the late 1960's/early 1970's on ebay that stated that they were being used on the lamborghinis and ferraris of that time period, and there selling one nowadays that looks just like the old lamborghini miura steering wheel called the prototipoEingefügtes Bildhttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3qFs-Hm6NLBzjgwvd-ZZG914fzeNWWjUKxKkg1LinrqTF3RYGAlso I'm noticing that theres a bunch of momo steering wheels with custom lettering on them along with a few of them having company names on them so it might be possibile to request that the veloce name be put on one of their wheels provided its not one of those deals where you have to buy X amount to get them to do it.

http://www.lambomiura.com/early/early03.jpghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3qFs-Hm6NLBzjgwvd-ZZG914fzeNWWjUKxKkg1LinrqTF3RYGAlso I'm noticing that theres a bunch of momo steering wheels with custom lettering on them along with a few of them having company names on them so it might be possibile to request that the veloce name be put on one of their wheels provided its not one of those deals where you have to buy X amount to get them to do it.

I was not able to find one with the label on it, so I went to a commercial company that does vinyl lettering. The owner was able to scan the picture I had of the Camera Daytona and made the "veloce" logo to go on my MOMO.

(although now that I know you want one with that lettering it does make this point redundant unless Brian W wants one)

Thanks for the offer' date=' although this year I'm primarily focusing on mechanical repairs the car needs. Needs some front end, rear end, suspension, and steering work. I am, however paying close attention to this thread and building a future shopping list. So I'll keep my eye on eBay and wait for most of this stuff, but hard to find items I may pick up here and there. So far I need:

[*]Momo Veloce style steering wheel 13.5"

[*]1981/1982 C3 Corvette seats with custom upholstery

[*]Vitaloni side mirrors (Baby Tornado or Pronto?)

[*]Zenith or Dayton wire wheel spinners

[*]Some other hardware like the Rowley cowl induction panel and hood and trunk shocks

But again, I'm not in a hurry, mostly just taking notes for now. The spinners seem to be the hardest thing to find at this point. Thanks for all the pointers and help!BW

Oh and if Sonny-Burnett ever changes his dash I'm gonna be REAL nice to him and see if I can have his sloppy seconds :). I think I prefer the Faux-rarri dash over the show car's dash (or at least it would be a simpler change rather than doing all the custom work of modifying a stock C3 dash). There's one on eBay right now for $200 but it's a guy in Florida who's listings are often, shall I say, suspicious. And the vents don't even match the vents on the dash he put in the pic.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200576811608&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT.BW

Thats odd Brian I thought your car was in peak mechanical condition when they redid it on 06'. Did the guy who bought it before you beat the hell out of it like the guy who owned Sonny's Car before him?and its Vitaloni Baby Tornado side mirrors the proto is a one off bigger version of it ala the testarossa's left mirror on the show.also are you planning on doing anything else with your car besides those things like repainting it black or changing up any of the parts to try and get it closer to a ferrari daytona rather than the show car? Just curious.also I think that dash would look great if you removed that steel plate over the gauges like on this one:Eingefügtes Bild

Thats odd Brian I thought your car was in peak mechanical condition when they redid it on 06'. Did the guy who bought it before you beat the hell out of it like the guy who owned Sonny's Car before him?

Haha, that's what I thought too! It's driveable, I mean I can take it out on the weekends and stuff and it's in relatively decent shape but it needs 2 new shocks and quite a few other things to get it back to mint condition. The previous owner was a nice guy but not really a car guy, know what I mean? He just drove it for 5 years and took it to several random shops to get work done. I took it to an amazing Corvette whiz and gave him the repair history and he explained a TON of stuff to me. But I don't think it was in mint condition when it sold at Barrett-Jackson. I'm a little more skeptical of any similar "pedigree" now, not sure what approval process they go through before they sell them. Or it was mint and the previous owner did beat the hell out of it, who knows...but it'll be taken great care of from here on out!Definitely will paint it black but that's probably a few years off. End goal is to have it nearly identical to the show car but with a replica Ferrari dash and door panels. Some other minor differences: will leave the antenna on the passenger side, will leave the headlight covers on (best of both worlds IMHO, sleek/black by day and clear light at night), will prob leave the chrome around the windshield, will leave exhaust as is (straight and at the corners). I'll certainly post pics of my progress :cool:.BW

Definitely will paint it black but that's probably a few years off. End goal is to have it nearly identical to the show car but with a replica Ferrari dash and door panels. Some other minor differences: will leave the antenna on the passenger side' date=' will leave the headlight covers on (best of both worlds IMHO, sleek/black by day and clear light at night), will prob leave the chrome around the windshield, will leave exhaust as is (straight and at the corners). I'll certainly post pics of my progress :cool:.BW[/quote'] One of the hardest things for me was to decide how I wanted the car to end up. I am not going to move my radio antenna (like you mine is on the driver's side). There are some things I am really wanting to do, and others I don't care as much about. In the end it will be the way that I want it--not a carbon copy of the Camera Car or anything else.Good luck and keep us posted!JN

I don't know I think all they do is make sure the car isn't stolen and doesnt have any obivious problems like a leaking engine and MAYBE they check to make sure it's numbers matchingbut I think that's all they do after reading this http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/features/columnists/260698/jay_leno_december_2010.html

Momo Veloce style steering wheel 13.5"

[*]1981/1982 C3 Corvette seats with custom upholstery

[*]Vitaloni side mirrors (Baby Tornado or Pronto?)

[*]Zenith or Dayton wire wheel spinners

[*]Some other hardware like the Rowley cowl induction panel and hood and trunk shocks

But again, I'm not in a hurry, mostly just taking notes for now. The spinners seem to be the hardest thing to find at this point. Thanks for all the pointers and help!BW

BrianHere you go on the Baby Tornados - I got mine here. http://www.talbotco.com/vitaloni_mirros.htmlCheers,S-B

Hi Guys,I'm back after a couple weeks of travel. I was about 20 pages behind and just got caught up. I just checked the back of the steering wheel and the only thing there is "MADE IN ITALY" and below it "1 - 84". As I told Sonny in a PM, the wheel is 13.5 inches in diameter (outer rim edge to outer rim edge). It is 12.5 inches from the center of the rim to the center of the rim. If the wheels are measured (in the official description) using the center of the rim rather than the outer edge of the rim, 12.5 inches would be correct. I have the engine pics for Jagvic and will try to post them tomorrow.

Here are a couple pictures of the Camera Car engine compartment - with the air cleaner removed for Jagvic: (Please ignore the dirt - the engine compartment needs a good cleaning.) The top photo is taken from the driver's side and the second photo is from the passenger's side.Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes BildYou can see the pictures in a larger size by viewing them in the Photo Gallery. I don't know how to make them bigger in this post.

• Like 1

I wonder if the script on the rear could have been a modified version of his logo he used on his federalized cars?Also did you guys know "It's actually Albert Mardikian who inspired the character of Charlie Babbit' date=' in the film Rainman by Barry Levinson with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. Tom Cruise plays the CEO of a small US Company importing Italian sports cars from Europe. The firsts scene of the film shows four Countach being downloaded from a boat onto the port of New-York, and then Babbit struggling to make them authroized by the Emission Control Authority...Exactly Al Mardikian's story... !"[/quote']Jagvic - Where did you find the Mardikian logo/emblem that was shown in this post?