The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Yeah that's what it is, I had forgotten the name for it and I just did another revision with the guide today about the nose cover so all's good.I've still got to add a few more things to it and make sure everything is covered and that I give you the right links, not to mention the names of some of the shots plus a few diagrams I drew up with the new photos.also as a side note: damn it, I just finished up S2 so I already know what's going to happen to the daytona next. I really wish ferrari would have butted in at the end of S3 so carl would have put together that 3rd car by then and further modified the other two, plus look wise I love the look of S3 save for that damn white ferrari.they really should have left it black metallic, night scenes be damned.

post-592-13892963509723_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963509906_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963510105_thumb.jpg

Yeah that's what it is' date=' I had forgotten the name for it and I just did another revision with the guide today about the nose cover so all's good.I've still got to add a few more things to it and make sure everything is covered and that I give you the right links, not to mention the names of some of the shots plus a few diagrams I drew up with the new photos.also as a side note: damn it, I just finished up S2 so I already know what's going to happen to the daytona next. I really wish ferrari would have butted in at the end of S3 so carl would have put together that 3rd car by then and further modified the other two, plus look wise I love the look of S3 save for that damn white ferrari.they really should have left it black metallic, night scenes be damned.[/quote'] Agree that white on the Testa was a little over the top...but didn't much fancy that car anyway...:pAnd yeah, don't like thinking about what happens after S2.. :cry:Thanks for the help--am looking forward to what you came up with. :thumbsup:

There is a Vette wheel that looks like that' date=' and that is most likely what you have. No need for the MOMO adaptor, which is the black tube between the wheel and the column.[/quote'] I have never seen a stock Corvette steering wheel that looks like that. It must be an after-market wheel. It should probably have a manufacturers mark on the back somewhere.

JNAre you sure it is not a Nardi? Thought it was but need to check if any markings. You're saying that I don't need a Momo adaptor for this..thought all Vette columns required one for the Momo?JN' date=' are you replacing your dash ---thought you already had customized yours to resemble Camera's? Please email me if you would what you're doing and where you sourced your parts, if so please.Still can't get a damn dash assembly....:pAnd thanks for the comments....but I am determined to modify the interior and some exterior items to get closer to the show car look. Just can't get the restoration idea out of my head. I really envy your Georgia weather...we had one nice day this week and now we're back into the 40's for highs. :thumbsdown: cheers, S-B[/quote'] What I meant was that the standard Vette wheel wouldn't need the adaptor. It would be an aftermarket product, but the horn button area and the general appearance make me think it was made for a Vette.I am capping my dash with a more "Camera Car" like appearance. When it is done I will post some pictures and let you know how I did it.Enjoy the car and keep in touch.JN

By the way Sonny, make three folders one called Sonny's photos and put another two in their called exterior and interior, i'll be sending you them under those headings like exterior 1 and thats where there ment to go to fit into the guide.the guide itself will be the last bit I send you and it's going to be in the interior section.

http://store.cokertire.com/and the weird bit its that when I put in that tire size this pops uphttp://store.cokertire.com/mr14-15-225-235r14-15-tr-13-radial-tube.html

JN told me they were Pirelli P6 235/60R/15 Apparently not made anymore in the 235 size so need a close lookalike so I can retain the size.

JN told me they were Pirelli P6 235/60R/15 Apparently not made anymore in the 235 size so need a close lookalike so I can retain the size.

Try 215/75/15 . Pirelli still makes the P4s in both sizes. Neither tire is a VR, but only the P6000 is speed rated. I went with the P4s. Less than $100 each.Essentially the 215 is a little more narrow but the same height. The tires on the car originally (according to McBurnie) were Michelins with the old designation which translates to 215/75/15 or 235/60/15. In fact, Rowley recommends the 215s for a better ride with the same profile.JN

By the way, and this is mostly for Kavinsky, take a look at WHATEVER WORKS about 3/4 of the way through. The scene where Crockett pull the kitten out of the Daytona. It looks like the 76 had a wooden shift knob which appears very similar to a Trans Am of that vintage. I slow mo-ed through the scene because that is the only time I can find where you see the inside of the 76 model car.With your eye for detail you may pick up something I missed. And I would be interested in the stuff you are putting together for Sonny-Burnett. I always learn things from the facts you gather. And my car is still a WORK IN PROGRESS.

Ill right ill look but car 4 had a black plastic shift nob from the look of it and I gotta finish sonny's project first, the guide right now is probably a full page long or close to it and getting larger and I've been working on it for about a good couple hours a day covering everythingand I dont mean to be mean in saying this but I dont know about the 215's on yours jurrasic, it looks wrong and I think theres either gotta be a considerable tire height difference between the 215's and the 235s either that or you car was made for bigger tires than what was on the show car or maybe the springs are set too high.actually looking at this the springs seem the most logical because the tires seem just as full as the MV car:and what does VR mean?

post-592-13892963511104_thumb.jpg

Try 215/75/15 . Pirelli still makes the P4s in both sizes. Neither tire is a VR' date=' but only the P6000 is speed rated. I went with the P4s. Less than $100 each.Essentially the 215 is a little more narrow but the same height. The tires on the car originally (according to McBurnie) were Michelins with the old designation which translates to 215/75/15 or 235/60/15. In fact, Rowley recommends the 215s for a better ride with the same profile.JN[/quote'] Admittedly this tire thing is confusing but I posted or maybe emailed a link to someone about how tire dimensions change with more than one element of the rating. I am definitely wanting to emulate the look of the camera car tire size here and 235 would be the best fit I think but also need the speed rating as I tend to drive at speed sometimes. I donlt think a 235/60 is the same size as a 215/75. So what would be the closest in appearance to the 235's on the car but with speed rating do you think?

I dont know I'm just as confused about this as you, but it sounds like the dimensions are about the same and maybe the 235 and 215 thing is down sheerly to thickness. seeing as I think the springs are jurrasic's car are the normal corvette ones and the one on the show car might be racing springs or just lowered.it would explain the nose damage in S3, hell even the testarossa sparked a little in its first chase in stones war in the parking garage.

I dont know I'm just as confused about this as you' date=' but it sounds like the dimensions are about the same and maybe the 235 and 215 thing is down sheerly to thickness. seeing as I think the springs are jurrasic's car are the normal corvette ones and the one on the show car might be racing springs or just lowered.it would explain the nose damage in S3, hell even the testarossa sparked a little in its first chase in stones war in the parking garage.[/quote'] Actually both the width and diameter will be different. You can go to any tire calculator such as http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.aspand plug in the code (treadwidth/profile/diameter) and see the impact to the dimensions....

Ill check in a moment but car 1 does apear to have a wood shift nob.also I think those tabs on the front are some sort of tow bar, it would explain why they showed up during S1 occasionally and why their there since we did see car 1 get towed away at the being of the episode.

post-592-13892963511333_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963511517_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963511728_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963511912_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963512104_thumb.jpg

I dont know I'm just as confused about this as you' date=' but it sounds like the dimensions are about the same and maybe the 235 and 215 thing is down sheerly to thickness. seeing as I think the springs are jurrasic's car are the normal corvette ones and the one on the show car might be racing springs or just lowered.it would explain the nose damage in S3, hell even the testarossa sparked a little in its first chase in stones war in the parking garage.[/quote'] Your suspension theory intrigues me though ..recall I also have the McBurnie racing suspension package, and have some nose scraping as well where prior owner hit something. And there was other slight damage under the frame from bottoming out. I do have to eyeball the car again to see how tire dimensions may affect the look of the car (I have 255s in the rear and 215s in the front)

So the 235's are 0.79 inches wider AND lower?sidewall height with 215's 6.34 insidewall height with 2:35's5.55 inokay maybe I'm wrong about the springs then or maybe this is partly contributing to it but typically in these cases an inch difference makes all the difference in the world to how the thing looks and handles

So the 235's are 0.79 inches wider AND lower?sidewall height with 215's 6.34 insidewall height with 2:35's5.55 inokay maybe I'm wrong about the springs then or maybe this is partly contributing to it but typically in these cases an inch difference makes all the difference in the world to how the thing looks and handles

I didn't save the calculator results but definitely width is noticeable so I want the 235 width (think my 255 width is too much as you can see in the photos from Monday). But the diameter of the tires JN quoted above using the higher profile (middle number) 75 translates to a bigger diameter tire. I would need to check that as I am tight in the back already with the 60 profile but seem to have plenty of room in the front

yeah it looks like you've only got about a quarter of an inch between the wheel well and the rear tires, almsot like the previous owner used the car for drag racing.I'll be back on latter I need to let my computer cool down for an hour or so.

post-592-13892963512288_thumb.jpg

yeah it looks like you've only got about a quarter of an inch between the wheel well and the rear tires' date=' almsot like the previous owner used the car for drag racing.I'll be back on latter I need to let my computer cool down for an hour or so.[/quote'] It's not that tight --just an optical illusion. OK, later. ;)

I didn't save the calculator results but definitely width is noticeable so I want the 235 width (think my 255 width is too much as you can see in the photos from Monday). But the diameter of the tires JN quoted above using the higher profile (middle number) 75 translates to a bigger diameter tire. I would need to check that as I am tight in the back already with the 60 profile but seem to have plenty of room in the front

Go to TIRERACK.com and you will see what I am talking about. The 215/75s are rougly the same height and diameter as the 235/60s. The height is a percentage of the width. Thus 75% of 215 v 60% of 235. The difference is the width of the tread, not the height of the tire. My car is on 215/60/15s which are an inch shorter overall than the tires on the show car, but fill the wheel wells less.You also need to be aware that changing tires sizes can radically change the accuracy of your speedo (not something you want a cop to be explaining on the side of the road). That is my problem, if I change the tire size I have to have the rear end or the transmission changed to get the proper gear size for the speedo to be correct.The show car started out on Michelin XWX VR-195-70 tires. The Pirellis on the car now are 235-60-15s. There is no record of what tires, brand or size, were used on the show. But the V rating (highest speed rating) is not included in the Pirelli tires on the car now. Even so those tires are rated to 118 mph continuous.Before I spent any money on tires, I would go to a reputable dealer and explain what I wanted to do. Let them measure the wheel openings, look over your wheels, and then explain to you the differnces. The P6000 Pirellis are V rated and run over $200 each. A big cost jump over the P6 and P4.JN

Ill check in a moment but car 1 does apear to have a wood shift nob.also I think those tabs on the front are some sort of tow bar' date=' it would explain why they showed up during S1 occasionally and why their there since we did see car 1 get towed away at the being of the episode.[/quote'] Prior to ADAM-12 inside car scenes were done with a green screen in a studio (some sit-coms still do this). Most outside shows started towing the car for the shots. Now low trailers are often used to get more camera angles and camera movement.This photo is from DUTCH OVEN, shown in season 2 but shot in season 1. Note the attached tow device just where they appear on the photos from WHATEVER WORKS. Obvious this is car one in Season one livery by the bright trim around the windshield.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3346[/ATTACH]jn

post-109-13892963512465_thumb.jpg

Go to TIRERACK.com and you will see what I am talking about. The 215/75s are rougly the same height and diameter as the 235/60s. The height is a percentage of the width. Thus 75% of 215 v 60% of 235. The difference is the width of the tread' date=' not the height of the tire. My car is on 215/60/15s which are an inch shorter overall than the tires on the show car, but fill the wheel wells less.You also need to be aware that changing tires sizes can radically change the accuracy of your speedo (not something you want a cop to be explaining on the side of the road). That is my problem, if I change the tire size I have to have the rear end or the transmission changed to get the proper gear size for the speedo to be correct.The show car started out on Michelin XWX VR-195-70 tires. The Pirellis on the car now are 235-60-15s. There is no record of what tires, brand or size, were used on the show. But the V rating (highest speed rating) is not included in the Pirelli tires on the car now. Even so those tires are rated to 118 mph continuous.Before I spent any money on tires, I would go to a reputable dealer and explain what I wanted to do. Let them measure the wheel openings, look over your wheels, and then explain to you the differnces. The P6000 Pirellis are V rated and run over $200 each. A big cost jump over the P6 and P4.JN[/quote'] JNI did use a tire calculator as referenced above. The 215/75/15 is 27.69" diameter whereas the 235/60/15 is 26.1", or more than 1.5 inches different and that is significant. I do think your suggestion of taking the car to a reputable tire shop and having them pull the rims and probably test fit a few tires is the best solution. I still like the 235 width look on the car and so I need to replicate that tire size with an appropriate hi speed rating. ThnxS-B

Here are photos of the tire brand and tire size from the Camera Car. I'm wondering if the size that McBurnie quotes for what he used on the Daytonas was for the first 4 Mardikian cars or for the ones he produced later as McBurnies? JN - Do you know?Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

Jesus that's quite a shot you got there jurrasic and I agree that's probably a better idea that just going for those particular sizes Sonny, just make sure you specify that their high speed tiresand write down what you do evetually get so if you need a new set in say 5 or 6 years you wont have to repeat the process yet again.gotta love this forum, even late at night you learn something new.

Thank you Mr Leno, I've got a result:http://store.cokertire.com/235-60-15-pro-trac-street-pro-60-series.htmlI'm not sure if its a good brand and whether or not its high speed rated though and it mentions it doesnt have a tube (which I'm not sure is a key thing or not I really dont know too much about tires)http://store.cokertire.com/mr14-15-225-235r14-15-tr-13-radial-tube.htmland there is a few on ebay:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=235%2F60%2F15&_sacat=See-All-Categories