The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Thanks for the claification on the Pantera. Chalk up another inaccuracy to IMDB.It wasn't until the end of Cool Runnin' that you see the stunt car with chrome windshield trim. Once i get set up on photobucket I'll post a pic, but in the very last scene when Noogie has some woman meet him as he's walking to the parking lot you see a crystal clear pic of the stunt car that they walk right by.BW

Ah I see I really need to rewatch S1 one of these days too (it is my favorite season) for stuff like this and its the only season they didnt dub over the Vette's V8 with those stupid F1 ferrari noses, and heres the kicker they did that with the testarossa too! you would think that they would just do a few runs with it with the muffler off if they wanted to make the car louder, plus it sounded great already with both of them, they didnt need to be dubbed!

either that or put another exhaust system on it
Edit: Nevermind I rewatched the pilot today and they only rigged it up so you never see theinnards of the interior, just the seats and they had the cameras mounted further in that what they were latter in the series to acomplish this.plus after getting a close look at the smoked plexyglass it defintely looks as dark as it did in S2 so I get the feeling that the plexy cover they added to the daytona in S2 is the same one they used in the pilot, although I cant see any screws whatsoever on it, not even next to the turn signals.

Jurrasic I'm just curious when you went over to take all of those shots of the MV car did you get the honor of driving it?and does anyone know what happened to Sonny Burnett? I'm waiting for a response from him before I start sending him everything we worked on in this thread for his car.

Jurrasic I'm just curious when you went over to take all of those shots of the MV car did you get the honor of driving it?and does anyone know what happened to Sonny Burnett? I'm waiting for a response from him before I start sending him everything we worked on in this thread for his car.

No, the owner had the carburator broken down. I got to push it. But the car is not much different to mine, so I know how it handles. I plan to visit again when the car is up and running, though. Maybe then (hint-hint CameraDaytona!!)JN

jurrasic did you say that the proper size of the tires for the daytona were 245/45R20?

235/60R15 or 215/70R15. Same height (approx.), different tread width.

ah gotcha I was looking up lee Iococa after finishing up Sons and Lovers today (great episode though unfortunately it had same problem as calderon's demise: Angelina's actress was and still is god awful) and they actually made a tribute mustang to him 2 years ago with those size tires (goodyear eagles) and I thought it sounded close but I wasnt sure.

235/60R15 or 215/70R15. Same height (approx.)' date=' different tread width.[/quote'] The Camera Car has 235/60R15s on it. Rowley recommends 215/70R15s for the best ride. The cars when they were built by McBurnie had Michelin XWX VR195-70 tires.

So before they got redone by markadian and mcburnie they had different size tires on them as well, ala when they were normal corvettes?

So before they got redone by markadian and mcburnie they had different size tires on them as well' date=' ala when they were normal corvettes?[/quote'] In the literature published by McBurnie he identifies the Zenith Wires and the tire size when he built the cars. I expect that size translates to the approximate size on the Camera Car now.

Can I just say thank you for everything you guys have done for me thus far.this is just god damn incredibile all the stuff I'm learning about on these forums not just from you guys about the daytona but from everyone here.

BrianHere you go on the Baby Tornados - I got mine here. http://www.talbotco.com/vitaloni_mirros.htmlCheers' date='S-B[/quote'] You may want to check this out. The Speedo can be changed out, but for the price it gives you a huge leg up on the dash.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/corvette-1978-82-Gauges-Instrument-Clusters-/380322568211?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588cfdd813

Hi Everyone I am also a fan of the DaytonaFirst thing I am a woman and I love cars I know that sounds strange.I have two brothers who now live in the US and have some beautiful cars,motorcycles and an airplane.I have been driven in corvettes,Porsches,Cobras,motorcyles.My brother in california races Porsches has a hobby there and when I go to see him I want to try that also.I find beautiful cars like diamonds.I know it sounds strange but I have been around my brothers and my father and have been around really nice cars.I love the Daytona.Its a beautiful car and always loved seeing it when I first saw it come on the screen when Miami Vice first started.I was around when vice first started.The wheels turning when in the air tonight was going.Wow,what a car.I hope I can learn and appreciate in this thread all about the daytona.:happy:

First thing I am a woman and I love cars I know that sounds strange.I have two brothers who now live in the US and have some beautiful cars' date='motorcycles and an airplane.I have been driven in corvettes,Porsches,Cobras,motorcyles.My brother in california races Porsches has a hobby there and when I go to see him I want to try that also.I find beautiful cars like diamonds.I know it sounds strange but I have been around my brothers and my father and have been around really nice cars.I love the Daytona.Its a beautiful car and always loved seeing it when I first saw it come on the screen when Miami Vice first started.I was around when vice first started.The wheels turning when in the air tonight was going.Wow,what a car.I hope I can learn and appreciate in this thread all about the daytona.:happy:[/quote'] Welcome alleycat into the Daytona thread. If you love the Daytona like we do I'm sure you will have fun in this thread. Several of us have Daytonas and they are described and pictured in some detail in this thread. Also present here is CameraDaytona, and he is the proud owner of one of the two Daytonas used in the Show. There are very knowlegeable people on the Daytona in here as well such as JurassicNarc, Kavinsky and several others. I have learned from them and others in here as I am in the middle of a restoration project on mine. Again...welcome to you. :thumbsup:;)

Sonny the resto of your daytona is still on with you right and you still want the materials I put together for you as well right?FYI I'm just about done with the guide save for the rear view mirror, the chrome strip over the windshield and the names of some of the photos.

Sonny the resto of your daytona is still on with you right and you still want the materials I put together for you as well right?FYI I'm just about done with the guide save for the rear view mirror' date=' the chrome strip over the windshield and the names of some of the photos.[/quote'] Absolutely...just have been AWOL for a couple weeks or so in here, and need to get caught up on this thread. Tha probably means about 20 pages.... :):)

alright gotcha, figures as soon as I posted that I remembered that thing about the freefloating mufflers on the MV car, I need to add that to the guide and what I think would work best on your car.with the rear view mirror theres a few things about that style of mirror currently on the daytona that has caused me, personally trouble and it wouldnt surprise me if that's the very same model mirror as well.in the heat of the summer it used to always fall off the damn windshield of my family's long since sold 88 pontiac wagon when I was little which may be the very reason why it never seemed to be on the daytona during MV's run. plus I know of a few more size efficent mirrors that could take its place and not block the front windshield so muchoh and Sonny did you manage to snag this daytona from ebay that I sent you the link to?http://www.miamiviceonline.com/seriouslyEingefügtes Bild

which may be the very reason why it never seemed to be on the daytona during MV's run.

Most cars used as hero cars in that period had the interior mirror removed. It blocked the camera's view of the stars from some angles, and tended to cast unwanted light as the car moved. On many shows you would see the little metal tab the mirror attached to still glued to the windshield. The only pictures I can find of the MV Daytona sporting the rear view mirror are from the pilot episode, which appears to be a standard Vette model. The one in the Camera Car now looks like a standard Vette rear view. I kept mine as a safety issue, and in fact it may be illegal to operate the car without one.JN
  • Like 1

Hmm well it was just an educated guess anyways, hell when robocop made fun of the pontiac 6000 I can say without a doubt that atleast that once piece of the car did suck.along with the fact that everytime it froze in the wintertime we had to open the tailgate and go over the seats just to force the damn doors open and the very reason why we got rid of it because the damn engine block cracked a first for my dad too.

Left Side view of my Daytona (note these pics were taken by the original seller so the mirrors are not current-- have now been replaced with the correct Vitalonis used on the show car) Eingefügtes Bild

Gorgeous Sonny,the car is beautiful:happy:

Gorgeous Sonny' date='the car is beautiful:happy:[/quote'] Thanks alleycat. It is my baby, a work-in-progress, ...and my money-pit. :);)