The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Here are photos of the tire brand and tire size from the Camera Car. I'm wondering if the size that McBurnie quotes for what he used on the Daytonas was for the first 4 Mardikian cars or for the ones he produced later as McBurnies? JN - Do you know?Eingefügtes BildEingefügtes Bild

That is from the McBurnie manual and is his description of the first four cars. But that is also before they were sold the first time. As I recall Mardikian had gotten them back when Universal bought them (am I remembering that right?).

I'm not sure if its a good brand and whether or not its high speed rated though and it mentions it doesnt have a tube (which I'm not sure is a key thing or not I really dont know too much about tires)

I think I need to get out of this discussion. As you say, Kavinsky, I don't know that much about tires. But, like the rest of you, I do enjoy exploring the history, details, and myth of the MV Daytonas.JN

http://store.cokertire.com/235-60-15-pro-trac-street-pro-60-series.htmlI'm not sure if its a good brand and whether or not its high speed rated though and it mentions it doesnt have a tube (which I'm not sure is a key thing or not I really dont know too much about tires)http://store.cokertire.com/mr14-15-225-235r14-15-tr-13-radial-tube.htmland there is a few on ebay:http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=235%2F60%2F15&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Hmm.. don't think we want tubed tires. But thnx for checking on this. I think JN has the best idea and that is to take the car to a tire shop where I can do some test fitting. :thumbsup:

Indoor Car Covers:Another topic... am looking for an inexpensive car cover for indoor use just to keep dust off. Has anyone bought one that fits well on the Daytona?

Well JN once I finish up on this guide I'll send you the interior photos to help with the dash, I've certainly built up plently of reference photos of that.and Sonny Ill put that link in the guide if you ever decide to go with the exact size tires of the MV carAlso I have no idea what would be a good car cover to go with, nor what kind of materals would best protect the body.by the way what was up with the forums yesterday? for the life on me I couldnt get on.

That is from the McBurnie manual and is his description of the first four cars. But that is also before they were sold the first time. As I recall Mardikian had gotten them back when Universal bought them (am I remembering that right?).

To claify JN’s comment: (above) The number 4 car (the only black one of the four built by McBurnie for Mardikian) was leased from Mardikian for the MV pilot (the Camera Car). After the show was picked up by Universal, the number 1 car (the number came from the order in which the cars were built with number 1 being the first car built) was leased as a second car for the series (the Stunt Car) and was repainted black. Each car was shipped to Miami for the filming of the series. After the cars were leased, Mardikian was arrested for issues dealing with converting European cars to US specs for sale in the US. Mardikian's assets were confiscated and the titles of the two Daytonas leased by Universal were lost. Universal was concerned about the cars being seized as a part of Mardikian's legal issues, so they offered to buy the cars (through their lawyers). Mardikian agreed to the sale, which was completed on July 22, 1984 through an intermediary with a Florida dealer’s license. However, Mardikian could not produce the titles. California would not reissue the titles without inspecting the cars. But since the cars were in Florida and were in constant use, there was no way they could be returned to California. After over a year of back and forth correspondence among the intermediary, Universal’s lawyers, and Mardikian, California finally agreed that they would accept a completed and signed form from the Florida police verifying the serial numbers and that the cars were safe to drive. These forms were completed by the Miami Dade Police on October 11, 1985 – over a year after the cars were originally purchased. After that, the titles were re-issued and the cars were registered in Florida under Universal Studios ownership.JN – to my knowledge, after Universal took possession of the cars, Mardikian never had them again, and they stayed in Florida until they were sent to Carl Roberts as partial payment for building a stunt Testarossa.

Well JN once I finish up on this guide I'll send you the interior photos to help with the dash' date=' I've certainly built up plently of reference photos of that.and Sonny Ill put that link in the guide if you ever decide to go with the exact size tires of the MV carAlso I have no idea what would be a good car cover to go with, nor what kind of materals would best protect the body.by the way what was up with the forums yesterday? for the life on me I couldnt get on.[/quote'] OK, and thanks Kavinsky. Haven't seen a decent car cover yet. Forum was down for a long time.

To claify JN’s comment: (above) The number 4 car (the only black one of the four built by McBurnie for Mardikian) was leased from Mardikian for the MV pilot (the Camera Car). After the show was picked up by Universal' date=' the number 1 car (the number came from the order in which the cars were built with number 1 being the first car built) was leased as a second car for the series (the Stunt Car) and was repainted black. Each car was shipped to Miami for the filming of the series. After the cars were leased, Mardikian was arrested for issues dealing with converting European cars to US specs for sale in the US. Mardikian's assets were confiscated and the titles of the two Daytonas leased by Universal were lost. Universal was concerned about the cars being seized as a part of Mardikian's legal issues, so they offered to buy the cars (through their lawyers). Mardikian agreed to the sale, which was completed on July 22, 1984 through an intermediary with a Florida dealer’s license. However, Mardikian could not produce the titles. California would not reissue the titles without inspecting the cars. But since the cars were in Florida and were in constant use, there was no way they could be returned to California. After over a year of back and forth correspondence among the intermediary, Universal’s lawyers, and Mardikian, California finally agreed that they would accept a completed and signed form from the Florida police verifying the serial numbers and that the cars were safe to drive. These forms were completed by the Miami Dade Police on October 11, 1985 – over a year after the cars were originally purchased. After that, the titles were re-issued and the cars were registered in Florida under Universal Studios ownership.JN – to my knowledge, after Universal took possession of the cars, Mardikian never had them again, and they stayed in Florida until they were sent to Carl Roberts as partial payment for building a stunt Testarossa.[/quote'] This is great info...thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear it wasnt just me and with the car covers I guess it would be a good idea to just plain ask to feel the material and see how it feels on your hand.that's usually the rule of thumb I go by when wiping guns down, I dont dare wipe it down with anything that feels rough as it might scratch the old school polished bluing of my Smiths and the wrag I use for that I think is made out of polyester from a pillow although I dont know if that's used in car covers as well.

Indoor Car Covers:Another topic... am looking for an inexpensive car cover for indoor use just to keep dust off. Has anyone bought one that fits well on the Daytona?

I think I asked this same question a few months back when I first got my car. Not sure how "inexpensive" you want to go. Covercraft and Coverking are some of the more well known brands but they can be pricey' date=' my biggest issue was with the fit. You can get a generic S/M/L size, but I wanted something a little more tailored. The problem is once you cross a certain price point they are vehicle make/model specific and fit VERY snug. Auto Anything advertises every month in Car and Driver and they have a great selection ([url']www.autoanything.com). I've heard that a cover for an actual Ferrari Daytona fits a little big so that wasn't an option for me (I need to deter cats from getting between the cover and the car). Since mine's on a '71 Vette frame I figured that ought to fit pretty well. I could only find one site that had a "semi-custom" fit so I bought the best semi-custom cover they had for a '71 Vette at the Cover Store (http://www.the-cover-store.com/Vehicle-Cover.aspx?type=car-covers).I will say the inside of the cover isn't any sepcial soft material (it's polyester) but I've been pretty happy with it so far and the fit is as close to perfect as I could have asked for. I went with the "Ultima" to block out the elements for $179, but they have options for $99 and $109 that might work for you (although I should note I chose the two mirror pocket option and there aren't mirror pockets). But the cover's held up great so far and kept her spotless underneath, seems to breathe well while keeping dust, dirt, and moisture out. Just my $.02...so far no complaints.A word to the wise, there are a ton of cheap covers on ebay, if you do some research you'll see that you want to avoid those. One guy has a page set up that shows his deteriorated while in his garage after just two months.Good luck and let me know what you end up going with.-BW

www.autoanything.com). I've heard that a cover for an actual Ferrari Daytona fits a little big so that wasn't an option for me (I need to deter cats from getting between the cover and the car). Since mine's on a '71 Vette frame I figured that ought to fit pretty well. I could only find one site that had a "semi-custom" fit so I bought the best semi-custom cover they had for a '71 Vette at the Cover Store (http://www.the-cover-store.com/Vehicle-Cover.aspx?type=car-covers).I will say the inside of the cover isn't any sepcial soft material (it's polyester) but I've been pretty happy with it so far and the fit is as close to perfect as I could have asked for. I went with the "Ultima" to block out the elements for $179, but they have options for $99 and $109 that might work for you (although I should note I chose the two mirror pocket option and there aren't mirror pockets). But the cover's held up great so far and kept her spotless underneath, seems to breathe well while keeping dust, dirt, and moisture out. Just my $.02...so far no complaints.A word to the wise, there are a ton of cheap covers on ebay, if you do some research you'll see that you want to avoid those. One guy has a page set up that shows his deteriorated while in his garage after just two months.Good luck and let me know what you end up going with.-BW

Thanks BW, I was looking at Ebay until I saw this. I'll check out these sources. S-B

Pilot Episode DaytonaI noticed the Markidian logo on the seatbacks (finally) in this ep during closeup shots. Also noticed the running lights at the end of the ep were red. Not clear on why/when this was reversed nor when the seats were re-done to the configuration we have been discussing in S1.

That's odd since the pre MV shot shows the tail lights in their normal position, maybe they were trying to do there best to replicate the real ones lookEingefügtes Bildand as a sidenote take a close look at the mirrors on this thing, those arent the normal mirrors they used for daytona's back then they normally used these and that is the real daytona by the wayEingefügtes Bildjesus that really does look like a v12 rocket.

post-592-13892963515036_thumb.jpg

Actually looking closely at it looks like there in their normal position

its just that the red had been rigged up as the running lights and not the yellow as it was post pilot:

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/images/KDPics/realdaytona2.jpgand as a sidenote take a close look at the mirrors on this thing, those arent the normal mirrors they used for daytona's back then they normally used these:Eingefügtes Bild

I was referring to the Markidian car that I saw the reds as running lights as mine are now. The mirrors here look to be those on the genuine Ferrari, and they closely resemble the original mirrors on my car before I swapped them, if you go back to page 30 something you will see what I mean.

its just that the red had been rigged up as the running lights and not the yellow as it was post pilot:
Hmm couldn't really tell from this.

Hey guys - been gone a while and see you've been busy! I've been working frantically on the model and unfortunately didn't get it done, but in the end i didn't want to rush it and I just had too much orange peel in the paint to polish out... SOOOO.. a little sanding, some more paint and I'll be back in business. BUT I'm about to go post a bunch of pics of where the model stands on the model thread - let me know what you all think!

And just a comment I thought all wire wheels with adjustable spokes had to have tubes in them otherwise air escapes around the spoke adjusting nipples. Is that not so?

I'm not sure jagvic but Sonny what I mean is that almost all of the daytona's I've come across have had that sort of 65 mustang like chrome mirror set up on them and I've only seen that car with those mirrors, nothing else (discounting the replicas) and judging by the shape of the trunk area I think that's a geniune spider and not a chopped one like the one from S2. I did manage to get a shot of the rear with the daytona from the pilot, strangely they reused the pilot ending scene in "florence italy" and it looks like they didnt move the lights they just rewired them and to be honest I kinda prefer it glowing red rather then yellow.also does anyone have that shot of the daytona's engine with the air cleaner on it? I kinda forgot to save that and jurrasic I specifically took a few extra shots of the camera cars dash for you from the outside, I knew I forgot something I was supposed to photograph.and the guide is done, I'm going to go over it again to fix any mistakes I made but its pretty much finished and once I get the photo of the daytona's engine with the air cleaner on it plus a few other things Ill start sending it to you finally on monday.also besides junk love is there any other episodes where we get a good look at the lower half of the center console because I swear it looks like it may be some sort of veneer like they used to use on jag's of that particular time period.

post-592-13892963542897_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963543103_thumb.jpg

And just a comment I thought all wire wheels with adjustable spokes had to have tubes in them otherwise air escapes around the spoke adjusting nipples. Is that not so?

No, my tires are tubeless.

I noticed the Markidian logo on the seatbacks (finally) in this ep during closeup shots. Also noticed the running lights at the end of the ep were red. Not clear on why/when this was reversed nor when the seats were re-done to the configuration we have been discussing in S1.

This is just a guess, but the Camera Car seats were done by a craftsman who only did the interior of one other car. The seats in the Camera Car were originally very unique and had the headrest with the Mardikian M in them. Once the second car was purchased, they needed to make them match, and it was easier to have modified Vette seats made than to have the very unique Camera Car seats replicated.I have spoken to the craftsman who created the look of the Camera Car, and he has no interest in anything related to the car or upholstery. He makes violins.I asked him about the door panels and the dash and he said all the molds were destroyed several years ago.

I think I have mentioned this in the original article, but the cars were apparently built using Ferrari taillight housings and Corvette sockets and bulbs. This is why the Phantom Tailights keep returning in Season one. Carl Roberts clued me in that the easiest fix is to use Ferrari sockets to replace the Corvette ones which keep falling out of the housings. I had this problem over and over until I traded.And the Camera Car has had the sockets replaced. Carl said he did that between season one and two.It is entirely possible that for that one shot they were in the wrong housing.

also besides junk love is there any other episodes where we get a good look at the lower half of the center console because I swear it looks like it may be some sort of veneer like they used to use on jag's of that particular time period.

The upper and lower console are the same wood veneer. Is that what you are talking about? The original veneer was made by McBurnie, and he had a wood shop cut and install it. Not sure how it was attached, but at that time the veneer laminates were not available. The veneer was the same kind used on cabinets which was applied to the standard Corvette console. McBurnie said he had the "molds" for this until his shop burned down. He could not remember what stain was used, and said that he liked the wood in high end cars.

Yeah I was talking about a veneer laminate I had seen in a jag xjs from the late 80's- early 90's on wheelre dealers which looked pretty similar to what I saw in that one shot from tales of the goat here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3378&stc=1&d=1301209794I dont know I swear it looks the same as this ones veneer from this shothttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUllsgOG8kand that's kinda weird that the interior guy wants nothing to do with the car and is now making violins