The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Yeah I was talking about a veneer laminate I had seen in a jag xjs from the late 80's- early 90's on wheelre dealers which looked pretty similar to what I saw in that one shot from tales of the goat here:http://www.miamiviceonline.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3378&stc=1&d=1301209794I dont know I swear it looks the same as this ones veneer from this shothttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fUllsgOG8kand that's kinda weird that the interior guy wants nothing to do with the car and is now making violins

That is very similar to what McBurnie described over the phone the single time I spoke with him.The Interior guy was very expensive and only did 2 of the cars for Mardikian. Number 3 and number 4. He designed the look of the entire interior of those cars. He refused to do more than answer a few questions. He said McBurnie and Mardikian did not pay him for the work he did and he wanted nothing to do with them. He seemed like a "free spirit".

This is just a guess' date=' but the Camera Car seats were done by a craftsman who only did the interior of one other car. The seats in the Camera Car were originally very unique and had the headrest with the Mardikian M in them. Once the second car was purchased, they needed to make them match, and it was easier to have modified Vette seats made than to have the very unique Camera Car seats replicated.I have spoken to the craftsman who created the look of the Camera Car, and he has no interest in anything related to the car or upholstery. He makes violins.I asked him about the door panels and the dash and he said all the molds were destroyed several years ago.[/quote']Very interesting here, JN, and thanks for this.

I think I have mentioned this in the original article' date=' but the cars were apparently built using Ferrari taillight housings and Corvette sockets and bulbs. This is why the Phantom Tailights keep returning in Season one. Carl Roberts clued me in that the easiest fix is to use Ferrari sockets to replace the Corvette ones which keep falling out of the housings. I had this problem over and over until I traded.And the Camera Car has had the sockets replaced. Carl said he did that between season one and two.It is entirely possible that for that one shot they were in the wrong housing.[/quote'] JNI have the problem that my taillights and turn lights can come loose in the bulb lens housing (not sure if we are using the same teminology). The lens housing is bolted with 3 bolts to the frame or light housing. Is this what you are describing and if so how exactly did you resolve this?ThanksS-B

sounds like the interior guy pretty much got screwed over by the epa when they sized markadian's assets back around the time of the cars constructions and then to have it turned into a star by miami vice must have pissed him off to no end.and alleycat that depends on many factors with alot of these cars and keep in mind that these are all sports cars so chances are pretty good they all got beaten to hell pretty well.so finding one with a good owner is pretty much one of the key things you have to look for, basically look for one whos regularly used the car but not abused it and took care of it, the rest is all of the basics that they always tell you to look for.and this is the only replica for sale on ebay right now:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Replica-Kit-Makes-McBurnie-Kit-Replica-Miami-Vice-1973-Daytona-365GTS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf60470adQQitemZ330545000621QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucksthere was another mcburnie on there but I lost track of it.

JNI have the problem that my taillights and turn lights can come loose in the bulb lens housing (not sure if we are using the same teminology). The lens housing is bolted with 3 bolts to the frame or light housing. Is this what you are describing and if so how exactly did you resolve this?ThanksS-B

I contacted T RUTLANDS and got 2 single circuit and two dual circuit light sockets. They were not expensive, and they plug right into the housing.

So what your saying is that these are the very sockets you used to fix that problem on your car, and that by switching the 3 mount to this two or single mount it will fix the problem?

So what your saying is that these are the very sockets you used to fix that problem on your car' date=' and that by switching the 3 mount to this two or single mount it will fix the problem?[/quote'] The three bolt fixture he is talking about is the stainless steel ring. That holds the housing which consists of either a red or amber lense and the housing that the bulb socket plugs in to. The GM lights are single and dual circuit (the amber is the parking light/turn signal and the red is for brakes only). The housings are made similar to the GM housing, but the GM sockets don't lock into place. The Ferrari sockets take the same bulbs, but snap into place and you no longer have the Phantom Taillight Effect you see so often in Season One. I am pretty sure that Carl Roberts brought this to my attention. I had the same problem and was constantly driving at night with one or no parking lights. And even worse was the lack of brake lights. Since the change-over to the Ferrari plugs I have had no problems at all.JN

The three bolt fixture he is talking about is the stainless steel ring. That holds the housing which consists of either a red or amber lense and the housing that the bulb socket plugs in to. The GM lights are single and dual circuit (the amber is the parking light/turn signal and the red is for brakes only). The housings are made similar to the GM housing' date=' but the GM sockets don't lock into place. The Ferrari sockets take the same bulbs, but snap into place and you no longer have the Phantom Taillight Effect you see so often in Season One. I am pretty sure that Carl Roberts brought this to my attention. I had the same problem and was constantly driving at night with one or no parking lights. And even worse was the lack of brake lights. Since the change-over to the Ferrari plugs I have had no problems at all.JN[/quote'] Really not following this in terms of what I need to get or replace.

Really not following this in terms of what I need to get or replace.

See if this helps. Go to my uploaded photos in the PHOTO GALLERY for a larger version.Eingefügtes Bild

okay scratch that so the normal gm sockets arent locked into place while the ferrari ones are, and thus by replacing it with a t rutlands unit it would be snapped into place and wouldnt come loose causing the phantom tail light effect?so basically single is for brakes, double is for turn signal?http://www.trutlands.com/product_info.php?products_id=20422http://www.trutlands.com/product_info.php?products_id=20423

post-592-13892963547672_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963547822_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296354796_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963548156_thumb.jpg

Correct. Don't know about the part numbers, as Ferrari has used several different plugs (unlike GM using basically the same one in all cars). If you call Rutlands they will send you the correct parts, and they are not expensive. And again, yes, single for the brake and double for the amber side. Both the light bulb socket and the housing for red and amber are identical, so it is up to the person doing the work to get the dual purpose in amber and the single in the red.

See if this helps. Go to my uploaded photos in the PHOTO GALLERY for a larger version.Eingefügtes Bild

Wish I could say I know what you're getting at but can't visualize.

Jurrasic do you have any shots of the seats from the camera car similar to these shots that show off the center console arm rest and the seats in the same shot?it seems to be the one kind of shot I cant find in the show, atleast not with out Don or Philip blocking the arm rest from that angle.

post-592-13892963548373_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963548559_thumb.jpg

Wish I could say I know what you're getting at but can't visualize.

I don't know what else to say. The GM "item" into which light bulbs are plugged in order to illuminate the taillights needs to be changed out for the correct Ferrari "item" into which the light bulbs plug.

Jurrasic do you have any shots of the seats from the camera car similar to these shots that show off the center console arm rest and the seats in the same shot?it seems to be the one kind of shot I cant find in the show' date=' atleast not with out Don or Philip blocking the arm rest from that angle.[/quote'] The item you are talking about is the cover for the emergency brake handle. There is no arm rest, althought the Corvette had a rest that laid on the e-brake cover. The Camera Car has the standard e-brake cover only it has been covered in matching leather. [ATTACH=CONFIG]3424[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963548749_thumb.jpg

Still trying to understand this loose bulb issue-- so you're only talking about the need to swap the GM light sockets (not wiring) to Ferrari light sockets? Does Rowley sell the Ferrari sockets or is it a knockoff Ferrari part? Or is it something else?

yeah basically just switch the gm sockets for ferrari sockets, single circut for brakes, double for the turn signals.and if you look at those photos they use the same wires, green and black for both the corvette and the ferrari sockets so its just that one part that needs to be switched to fix the problem. hell I bet you could probably just have someone retrofit the corvette socket to the ferrari one by having someone put 3 spots for the gm socket to lock into on it on that chrome strip that runs on the edge of the ferrari one.

hell I bet you could probably just have someone retrofit the corvette socket to the ferrari one by having someone put 3 spots for the gm socket to lock into on it on that chrome strip that runs on the edge of the ferrari one.

That is essentially what everyone has tried to do from the beginning. Without expert tools to correctly make the notches it never works. That is why Carl just bought the Ferrari parts and wired them in.

Ah I see Jurrasic I thought the car had a proper arm rest and that I just couldnt see it.

In JUNK LOVE you can see it for a milli-second when Crockett gets out of the Daytona.[ATTACH=CONFIG]3426[/ATTACH]

post-109-13892963548877_thumb.jpg

yeah basically just switch the gm sockets for ferrari sockets' date=' single circut for brakes, double for the turn signals.and if you look at those photos they use the same wires, green and black for both the corvette and the ferrari sockets so its just that one part that needs to be switched to fix the problem. hell I bet you could probably just have someone retrofit the corvette socket to the ferrari one by having someone put 3 spots for the gm socket to lock into on it on that chrome strip that runs on the edge of the ferrari one.[/quote'] So with the discussion about rings and connectors the only thing I need to replace are the connectors? Does Rowley sell the actual Ferrari connectors as JN appears to be saying I need the Ferrari specific ones.Tnx S-B

So with the discussion about rings and connectors the only thing I need to replace are the connectors? Does Rowley sell the actual Ferrari connectors as JN appears to be saying I need the Ferrari specific ones.Tnx S-B

Rowley is a Corvette dealer. You will probably need to find a Ferrari parts supplier. That's why I recommended T Rutlands.

Rowley is a Corvette dealer. You will probably need to find a Ferrari parts supplier. That's why I recommended T Rutlands.

Sorry, I misspoke....meant Rutlands. Do you recall what the part name is at Rutlands?

Sorry' date=' I misspoke....meant Rutlands. Do you recall what the part name is at Rutlands?[/quote'] Don't feel bad about the confusion, as none of us seem to know the technical terms and all seem to be talking in circles. We made a simple issue even more confusing. So, with all the confusion I would describe it to them as plainly as possible. Make sure you say it's for a 365GTB (wouldn't mention it is a replicar as at one time Ferrari cut some of the parts suppliers off who were working with the companies who made them) and that you want the hickeys (Georgia technical term) that holds the taillight bulbs and plugs into the taillights. You need two for single circuit and two for dual circuit. I explained it that way on the phone and then sent them to me very quickly.JN