The Ferrari Daytonas of Miami Vice

jurassic narc

Jagvic what were you saying could also be used on the nose of the car instead of plexyglass that would be abit more sturdy than plexy?I'm asking because I forgot what exactly it was and I've seen that even on the 68' ferrari daytona's that the plexglass can warp.

It's trade name is Lexan

Eingefügtes BildHere's an early example of the tail pipes on the Daytona.This photo was claimed to be during the first Grand Prix of Miami. Don Johnson is on the back of the car waving to the audience to promote MIAMI VICE.

Cool and jesus man where do you find this stuff?

Cool and jesus man where do you find this stuff?

Did they change the tail pipes on the Daytona in later versions?

Here's a link to more of the above photos from one of my threads from January of last year.http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?2613-PRE-PILOT-DON-FERRARI-PHOTOS!

yeah they did, car 4 had that kind of tail pipe rig up pre MV, during the pilot and then sometime before No Exit the exhaust pipe's were moved further inward and upward which may have been modded to keep them from falling off during the nose breaking they did in S1 ala The Hit Listfreeze at 1:16, from Heart of darkness

Eingefügtes BildThat's from No Exit.That's all car 1 though the big giveaway being the chrome windshield Eingefügtes Bild

post-592-1389296347555_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296347574_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963475932_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296350036_thumb.jpg

Not sure but it kinda seems odd that there more or less freely hanging there almost like nothing is holding it to the rear of the car unlike on the real daytona, might have been rigged up that way so it didnt warp or burn the paint or fiberglass.

post-592-13892963500448_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963500636_thumb.jpg

post-592-1389296350082_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963501_thumb.jpg

post-592-13892963501181_thumb.jpg

Not sure but it kinda seems odd that there more or less freely hanging there almost like nothing is holding it to the rear of the car unlike on the real daytona' date=' might have been rigged up that way so it didnt warp or burn the paint or fiberglass.[/quote']With that red band on the chrome, it sure looks like an ANSA pipe. Mine also had an ANSA free flow muffler. My pipes had a hanger of some sort to hold them up, as they were fairly heavy.

With that red band on the chrome' date=' it sure looks like an ANSA pipe. Mine also had an ANSA free flow muffler. My pipes had a hanger of some sort to hold them up, as they were fairly heavy.[/quote'] Cooper&Burnett I think you are right and I had an ANSA muffler myself years ago when I had the poor man's version of your Alfa - a Fiat 124 Spider. I LOVED that car!

Cooper&Burnett I think you are right and I had an ANSA muffler myself years ago when I had the poor man's version of your Alfa - a Fiat 124 Spider. I LOVED that car!

Ansa makes some of the best freeflow exhaust, and Mufflers. I think Ferrari did and or still does use it as standard eqipment.Fiat 124 eh? Yeah, I love my Italian convertible too. :happy:

Yeah I think they still use ansa and I think jurrasic mentioned that his uses those as well but I think the ones on the MV cars were lookalikes.and my dad had an old fiat 124 back in the day when he was working in italy, he absolutely loved that car and regreted trading it in for a brand new early 1969 914 which had a ton of problems: gearbox, ignition, windows and oil and it wasn't till 1973 that porsche sorted out all of those problems on the 914 (he bought it because either Car and Track or Car and Driver gave the 914 car a great write up, you can bet that was the last time he trusted them with anything!)and still lusts after his old 124 and actually an alfa just like yours Cooper, he's always liked that body style.Just saying'

Something I don't think I've seen on this thread (although with 72 pages who knows :-), is swapping out my Vette horn with a Ferrari horn a simple horn swap, or is more work needed? I've seen a few on eBay that note "without compressor". I realize lots of the sound effects were added for the show, but sometimes I want to honk the horn and yell, "Come on, COME ON!!" like DJ does in the pilot episode =D.CD and JN, do you guys have the two horn/two tone Ferrari horn in your Daytonas? S-B? I'm thinking this is a "must have" for mine just cause it's cool to say, "For crying out loud" so my passenger can yell, "Run it!".Which I'd never do unless I was in the middle of nowhere and it was absolutely safe, officer ;-).BW

Something I don't think I've seen on this thread (although with 72 pages who knows :-)' date=' is swapping out my Vette horn with a Ferrari horn a simple horn swap, or is more work needed? I've seen a few on eBay that note "without compressor". I realize lots of the sound effects were added for the show, but sometimes I want to honk the horn and yell, "Come on, COME ON!!" like DJ does in the pilot episode =D.CD and JN, do you guys have the two horn/two tone Ferrari horn in your Daytonas? S-B? I'm thinking this is a "must have" for mine just cause it's cool to say, "For crying out loud" so my passenger can yell, "Run it!".Which I'd never do unless I was in the middle of nowhere and it was absolutely safe, officer ;-).BW[/quote'] Brian the two horn unit like on the show is both common to find and should be cheap! They are made by Flamm in Italy, and I bought a set at either Harbor Freight or Auto Zone for my car about a year ago I think. The whole package should be like $25 max

Brian the two horn unit like on the show is both common to find and should be cheap! They are made by Flamm in Italy' date=' and I bought a set at either Harbor Freight or Auto Zone for my car about a year ago I think. The whole package should be like $25 max[/quote'] This was the first thing I replaced. The Vette horns didn't work and I installed the two tone air horn. That was back when I didn't know which way I planned to go with the car. I am pretty sure the Camera Car has standard Vette horns, and I think in the show there were times when the horn was heard and not an air horn. They do add that European touch though.

This was the first thing I replaced. The Vette horns didn't work and I installed the two tone air horn. That was back when I didn't know which way I planned to go with the car. I am pretty sure the Camera Car has standard Vette horns' date=' and I think in the show there were times when the horn was heard and not an air horn. They do add that European touch though.[/quote']Here's a picture of one of the two horns from the Camera Car. I assume these are Corvette horns, but I have never really looked at '81 horns.Eingefügtes Bild

Camera I'm just curious do you know why the burlwood center console was replaced with a stock black unit on your car?My theory with that is that they drilled and tapped the phone mount into the burlwood center console to keep it from sliding around during the stunts (and to hide the fact that its an automatic) then when it was taken off and reused on the testarossa it left quite a hole in it and either the owner before you or Carl himself replaced it with a stock unit and took the rest of the burlwood off along with it to matchand why is there two horns on the car is one for honking at pedestrains in the road and the other for other drivers on the road?

Camera I'm just curious do you know why the burlwood center console was replaced with a stock black unit on your car?My theory with that is that they drilled and tapped the phone mount into the burlwood center console to keep it from sliding around during the stunts (and to hide the fact that its an automatic) then when it was taken off and reused on the testarossa it left quite a hole in it and either the owner before you or Carl himself replaced it with a stock unit and took the rest of the burlwood off along with it to matchand why is there two horns on the car is one for honking at pedestrains in the road and the other for other drivers on the road?

Kavinsky most cars have two horns - a high note and a low note. Having two sounds at once makes it stand out better against background noise than just a single note and of course it is louder than just one horn.

That makes sense but the reason why I asked is because I've seen that a few pre 1950s cars that actually have two separate horns,one for town and one country and I thought that maybe something like that applied here too.

That makes sense but the reason why I asked is because I've seen that a few pre 1950s cars that actually have two separate horns' date='one for town and one country and I thought that maybe something like that applied here too.[/quote'] Like the electronic sirens in today's emergency vehicles. The WAIL sound is most often used for the country, and the YELP works better in an area of tall buildings. Something about the acoustics, but most people just change it back and forth because after a about 10 minutes of the same tone it affects your hearing.

No one is sure when the console was changed. I do know that McBurnie put the wood in when the car was built. And the first owner Carl sold the car to did a lot of repairs to the car. He may have been the one who changed out the door panels and the console. For sure we know he upgraded the radio and probably replaced the HVAC controls.By the way, I think the shift knob was either black rubber or wooden and was not from the 84 Vette. The knob from the 78-84 Vette had a threaded base that has to be snugged up for the push button to work. It looks like a custom made replacement knob, that was turned and drilled out to fit the car.

Hmm I guess thats one less thing I'll have to put on the shopping list for Sonny and It's funny how entrenched you get in the details of a custom car like this, they really are a reflection of the men who put them together. On a side note I really oughta call up that rowley corvette place and see if he has a daytona replica lying around his lot. I really want to see one of these babies in the flesh now after doing this project for Burnett.

Hmm I guess thats one less thing I'll have to put on the shopping list for Sonny and It's funny how entrenched you get in the details of a custom car like this' date=' they really are a reflection of the men who put them together. On a side note I really oughta call up that rowley corvette place and see if he has a daytona replica lying around his lot. I really want to see one of these babies in the flesh now after doing this project for Burnett.[/quote'] If you go on a scouting mission, talk to him about what parts he may have on site. My car came with a faux Ferrari grill. The McBurnie grill, which is what is on the camera car, is very distinctive and looks nothing like the Ferrari. I would like to find one, and I'm willing to bet that there is one around that was replaced at some point. Unfortunately most of the cars on this coast are not McBurnies. The Roberts and Rowley cars all used the faux Ferrari style.Good hunting if you go down there. And take lots of pictures.JN

PanteraThanks for the help with the horn, guys. This will be something I'll do this spring for sure!I've been going back through S1 episodes looking for details on the Daytonas (great shot of the Daytona with full chrome around the windshield at the end of Cool Runnin' when Noogie leaves the hospital, which is how I'm currently thinking mine will look like when it's "completed"). So I went to IMDB to read the trivia for the show (haven't looked in a few years).I've seen on this thread that no one seems to know what happened to the Pantera/stunt Testarossa...according to an entry on IMDB (knowing they aren't always accurate), the agreement with Ferrari was that it would be destroyed at the conclusion of the series. Given the entire situation with the Daytona this sounds pretty reasonable. See here, about 11 items down: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086759/trivia-Brian W